Rate your confidence in JD

jgb

JD  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate your confidence in JD?

• Very confident. Excellent pedigree. Been part of winners everywhere he’s been
    • Cautious optimism. Good pedigree, but who knows how instrumental he was in the decisions of his prior teams
    • Optimistic by default. If he sucks we are screwed for another 5 years and I don’t even want to consider that right now
    • Pessimistic by default. Everyone associated with this organization sucks until proven otherwise
    • Mostly pessimistic. Early results not encouraging.
    • JD is a bust. His draft failed to improve the team and his FA signings are a disaster.

He's sailing the ship of the worse teams in NFL history and for our GM to be given this much love is ridiculous. 

Sort of like In the business field, I can give a dam how much money someone made elsewhere, it's what the hell have you done for me!

As of right now JD hasn't done $h**. When he does, I'll give him the praise he deserves and some. Does he has an excuse? Yes. But grown man take accountability. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He's sailing the ship of the worse teams in NFL history and for our GM to be given this much love is ridiculous. 

Sort of like In the business field, I can give a dam how much money someone made elsewhere, it's what the hell have you done for me!

As of right now JD hasn't done $h**. When he does, I'll give him the praise he deserves and some. Does he has an excuse? Yes. But grown man take accountability. 

It's going to be a long four years for people who are already pessimistic on JD. Not saying you're wrong -- I just can't put myself through that yet lol.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We're all onboard man.  We all want him to succeed....badly.

But it's fair to look out the window and try to see where we're going as he takes us there.

Gase was hired by the Jets 22 months ago.  Douglas was hired by the Jets 18 months ago.  I think we can start to evaluate them based on how they're performing, ask intelligent questions about whether they're doing a good job or not, and have some informed opinions by now.

I don’t think we really can until the seasons over. His picks are just now starting to get full playing time. 

Im not judging him too hard on this past free agency. Feel like next year with a new coach and such, we’ll have a better feel of how he operates. 

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I don’t think we really can until the seasons over. His picks are just now starting to get full playing time. 

Im not judging him too hard on this past free agency. Feel like next year with a new coach and such, we’ll have a better feel of how he operates. 

Plus let's be honest even if JD hit a homerun in FA this year and spent everything and got the best possible guys how many wins are we looking at total? 4? 

This was not the year to invest. Not with this QB. JD needs to SLAM the next draft. That's where this story will begin.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Plus let's be honest even if JD hit a homerun in FA this year and spent everything and got the best possible guys how many wins are we looking at total? 4? 

This was not the year to invest. Not with this QB. JD needs to SLAM the next draft. That's where this story will begin.

He needs to slam his first one too. Mims, Perrine, Davis, Zuniga, Clarke. If they can all be above average contributors, that’s a damn good start. If any turn out to be top tier even better. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He needs to slam his first one too. Mims, Perrine, Davis, Zuniga, Clarke. If they can all be above average contributors, that’s a damn good start. If any turn out to be top tier even better. 

At least his 1st pick seems to be a winner.

I'm convinced JD planned -- or at least highly-anticipated -- this year would be bad and his goal was to get the QB of the future in draft.

He's the only thing about this organization that gives me any confidence moving forward. Seems like the kind of smart hire that the Jets never do. Lets hope the fanbase and media gives him time to build, since this is a complete teardown

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Good point. I think of people want it both ways. I’m pretty optimistic that Douglas is the right guy.  I don’t see where he decreased the overall talent on this team from any one of the past Maccagnan seasons.

Other than OLine I'm not sure what position group is noticeably better than last year (and it cost a lot in terms of draft picks and FA $$$ to improve that group moderately).  My opinion is that WR is worse than 2019 (loss of Robby Anderson, replaced by Perriman who has 11 catches, 0 TDs in 4 games). Safety was downgraded (trading Adams), DLine is either the same or worse now (same group as last year after trading Leo, now trading McClendon).  Is LB better?  Same guys as last year.  Maybe CB is better?  Desir, Austin, Maulet, Wilson???  Can we say that Gore and Perine are better than Bell and Powell from last year?  Maybe, but probably not.  All of these things are debatable and a couple are clearly worse this year vs. last year IMO.

Douglas is doing the right longterm things in getting younger, shipping off older veterans, "monetizing" the talent he has by trading it for draft picks, etc.  But all of those things make the team, as it stands right now on the field, worse than last year.

58 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I don't disagree.  His draft classes (and not just one, he should be judged after a couple) will ultimately determine how well he does with roster construction.  But the Jets have made some questionable moves at positions of real need.  I really hope that over the second half of the season we'll see guys like Perriman and Mims playing multiple games in a row and contributing.  I want to see Becton and Perine on the field at lot, and Cam Clark getting a chance at OG.  If those guys play and look competitive, even if the Jets are losing, it will be much easier to say that Joe Douglas is making progress and doing a good job here.  And believe me, I'm really waiting to see that.  I'll be the first one to say that the Jets started slow, started injured, but the seeds Douglas planted are finally starting to sprout as we look forward to 2021.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not smart enough to say that this team is 0-7 and it's 40% due to Gase sucking as a coach, 30% because Darnold sucks at QB and 30% because Douglas has made the roster worse and subtracted talent.  

You list off Gase, Darnold and Douglas as reasons but don't include the Johnson's and Mike Maccagnan?

Think bigger.  As @jgb stated previously, blaming Joe Douglas for the mess the franchise is in is like blaming the tow truck driver for the accident.  

To add to this analogy, it would be like your car getting totaled, and blaming Douglas for chipping the paint a bit in the process of towing it away.  Sure, he isn't perfect and has made some mistakes or missteps thus far.  He seemingly didn't understand JUST how bad the roster was and how dysfunctional things were when he arrived. 

But it's certainly misdirected blame and anger by the people pissed off at him for his efforts to clean up the mess thus far.  Which includes making things a bit worse in the short-term, by the way; its a very reasonable part of the approach.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You list off Gase, Darnold and Douglas as reasons but don't include the Johnson's and Mike Maccagnan?

Think bigger.  As @jgb stated previously, blaming Joe Douglas for the mess the franchise is in is like blaming the tow truck driver for the accident.  

To add to this analogy, it would be like your car getting totaled, and blaming Douglas for chipping the paint a bit when loading the car onto the tow truck.  Sure, he isn't perfect.  But it's certainly misdirected blame and anger.

image.thumb.png.6c46e73bf79784e959ec8a4fc9749308.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Douglas is doing the right longterm things in getting younger, shipping off older veterans, "monetizing" the talent he has by trading it for draft picks, etc.  But all of those things make the team, as it stands right now on the field, worse than last year.

And yet there are far too many fans out there who think it's never a good idea to let things get a bit worse in the short-term.  They somehow think chasing 6-10 is a worthwhile venture.

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

What? You’re not happy with finally sucking right?
His long have we heard that argument of sucking the right way? It’s happening. Let’s enjoy watching Our 2021 starting CB Bryce hall this week. emoji3.pngemoji3.pngemoji3.png

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

0-16 is ok by me its helps start the rebuild off on the right track with a #1 pick. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Other than OLine I'm not sure what position group is noticeably better than last year (and it cost a lot in terms of draft picks and FA $$$ to improve that group moderately).  My opinion is that WR is worse than 2019 (loss of Robby Anderson, replaced by Perriman who has 11 catches, 0 TDs in 4 games). Safety was downgraded (trading Adams), DLine is either the same or worse now (same group as last year after trading Leo, now trading McClendon).  Is LB better?  Same guys as last year.  Maybe CB is better?  Desir, Austin, Maulet, Wilson???  Can we say that Gore and Perine are better than Bell and Powell from last year?  Maybe, but probably not.  All of these things are debatable and a couple are clearly worse this year vs. last year IMO.

It may not look like it but the wrs are better than last season’s group.  There are two issues that don’t make it seem that way. First Robbie is playing pretty well down ar carolina. Just how would’ve performed with the jets this season is a huge question mark. Likewise we don’t know how good Perriman and Mims could’ve been since they’ve been injured.  They lost Robbie and gained Perriman and Mims.  Imo that’s not such a bad trade off.

the defense is harder to judge. Mostly opted out so with him went the knowledge base. Last season Cashman filled in pretty well until he went down. This season they seem to have a guy who knows how to call the coverages. I don’t think Adams knew either. As for corner, Desir is better than trumaine and who ever they got playing Roberts spot is too.  It’s more a matter of getting these guys in the right place than physical talent.

i guess you can argue the team is worse but that’s mainly because of trying to get all the new faces on the same page.  I don’t see that’s Douglas s fault.

Almost 80% gave Douglas an optimistic grade and that's from a very pessimistic fan base. I don't understand why it does show having patience which is highly unusual for us. I'm pessimistic because the team is weak in skill positions on offense we have 0 wins last season wasn't strong I can't see giving him a good grade. We have zero wins. 

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To add to this analogy, it would be like your car getting totaled, and blaming Douglas for chipping the paint a bit in the process of towing it away.  Sure, he isn't perfect and has made some mistakes or missteps thus far.  He seemingly didn't understand JUST how bad the roster was and how dysfunctional things were when he arrived. 

But it's certainly misdirected blame and anger by the people pissed off at him for his efforts to clean up the mess thus far.  Which includes making things a bit worse in the short-term, by the way; its a very reasonable part of the approach.  

I'm onboard with the fact that things need to get worse before they get better.  Fiscally, contractually, it's just a fact.  The deleveraging of the Cap in future years by trading guys like Leo, Adams, and releasing Bell all makes sense.  We also need to remember that JD is likely saddled with the CJ Mosley contract for at least one, but probably two more years.

Joe is the tow truck driver, no doubt about it.  And, if he's taking a car that has $10K in damage to the repair shop I won't criticize him if the damaged bumper falls off along the way.  But if he's bumping the car into guardrails and starts to also damage the side of the car that wasn't damaged during the accident I think we can question that tow truck driver.  If it arrives at the shop with $15K in damage the tow truck driver should be held responsible, not for the $15K in damage but for the $5K he added.

It's really easy to say, "I was handed a mess, I'm blowing it up.  It will be ugly for two years but I have a plan."  However, that doesn't give you a free pass to escape evaluation about the band-aids you've chosen to apply in the 18 months that you've been here.  We can be willing to wait and see the finished product (but FYI - the product is never truly finished, it's always evolving) before casting a true grade for JD, but we can also absolutely make some assessments about the 80% of this roster that is now composed of "his guys," particularly at the OL, WR and RB spots.  Joe D has drafted, signed or re-signed all of the current starters and key depth pieces at those positions.

OL - Becton, Lewis, McGovern, GVR, Fant (All JD guys)

WR - Perriman, Mims, Crowder (not JD), Berrios, Smith(s) - JD guys

RB - Gore, Perine, Ty Johnson (All JD guys)

I'm not sure if you're suggesting that I'm one of the people angry or pissed off at him, but I'm not.  My point is simply that, like Gase, Darnold and everyone else, we should evaluate guys based on what they've done (what Joe has done is in green above).  I'm of the opinion that it's a mixed bag so far.  The jury is out.  None of us should be close to announcing any kind of verdict but we can definitely discuss all the evidence because there's some in support of him (good trades, seemingly good Draft picks based on very limited data) and some against at this point (some mishandling of the WR position, using most of the Jets 2020 resources in terms of $$ and draft capital to make only a moderate upgrade to the OLine).

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Almost 80% gave Douglas an optimistic grade and that's from a very pessimistic fan base. I don't understand why it does show having patience which is highly unusual for us. I'm pessimistic because the team is weak in skill positions on offense we have 0 wins last season wasn't strong I can't see giving him a good grade. We have zero wins. 

Because rational people recognize that 100 % of the reason we're in the mess we are in is because of the owners.  The same owners who hired Mike Maccagnan, the worst GM in NFL history, who promptly spent 5 years running the roster into the ground.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because rational people recognize that 100 % of the reason we're in the mess we are in is because of the owners.  The same owners who hired Mike Maccagnan, the worst GM in NFL history, who promptly spent 5 years running the roster into the ground.

McCagnan’s teams weren’t this bad and same owners. 

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

McCagnan’s teams weren’t this bad and same owners. 

Because he spent heavily on free agents (that ended up crippling contracts) in an effort to shoot for 4-12 or 5-11.  5-11 isn't better than 0-16.  It's no-mans land.

2020 is the result of completely tearing down all of Maccagnan's mistakes to start fresh.  Jets fans can't stomach a lost season so they somehow confuse heavy FA spending with success.

Getting worse in the short-term in an effort to get better in the long-term was Douglas's only available option.