Rate your confidence in JD

jgb

JD  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate your confidence in JD?

• Very confident. Excellent pedigree. Been part of winners everywhere he’s been
    • Cautious optimism. Good pedigree, but who knows how instrumental he was in the decisions of his prior teams
    • Optimistic by default. If he sucks we are screwed for another 5 years and I don’t even want to consider that right now
    • Pessimistic by default. Everyone associated with this organization sucks until proven otherwise
    • Mostly pessimistic. Early results not encouraging.
    • JD is a bust. His draft failed to improve the team and his FA signings are a disaster.

The problem with this town is New York instantly wants to oust You!

Funny how Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin stayed in Pittsburgh for decades.

New York is not a college type town and it's very tough to succeed here. My uncle moved to Wisconsin years ago and he said they wear Green Bay Packer jerseys to church lol.

We are already tanking for the number one pick to replace Sam Darnold, and we've all hated Adam Gase since his press conference cuz he had crazy eyes. New York is unrelenting and brutal.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

JD already traded Jamal Adams for a huge haul from a team that is going nowhere this season or next - made no sense to keep him. JD hit big on his 1st round pick and hopefully a few others. When he gets Gase fired and brings in a whole new coaching staff and the Jets get the #1 pick in the next draft JD will look even better. I am cautiously optimistic that he will do a very good job as GM in the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

How about G)  Too early to tell, but optimistic non-the less....OH!  And smart enough to know that this is pointless because it will take about three years to see what kind of product he puts together, unlike the instant gratification Madden gives us where you can build a Super Bowl contender in five minutes.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

New York is not a college type town and it's very tough to succeed here. My uncle moved to Wisconsin years ago and he said they wear Green Bay Packer jerseys to church lol.

We are already tanking for the number one pick to replace Sam Darnold, and we've all hated Adam Gase since his press conference cuz he had crazy eyes. New York is unrelenting and brutal.

The problem isn’t that Jets fire guys too quickly it’s that they hire the wrong guys and then don’t fire failures quickly enough. Stability is an effect of making good hires, not a cause of good performance.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

How about G)  Too early to tell, but optimistic non-the less....OH!  And smart enough to know that this is pointless because it will take about three years to see what kind of product he puts together, unlike the instant gratification Madden gives us where you can build a Super Bowl contender in five minutes.

That would be optimistic by default. I’ll also kindly ask you to refrain from using the phrase “instant gratification” in regards to Jets fans — do you know what you call impatient Jets fans? Titans fans.

Just now, addage said:

Just glad to see the positive voting.  It is too soon to give him a rating, but I am very hopeful.  An unusual feeling abpout the Jets.

You’re not rating JD. You’re rating your confidence in him. How’s it ever too early for that?

• Upvote 1

Aside from the selection of Becton and some mostly productive trades (good ROI), I feel like the early results are mixed at best and not encouraging.  With all those picks and spending all that money I feel like the OL and WR groups should be better than they are.  I was disappointed in only coming away with one WR in a draft very deep in WRs.  I'm still scratching my head over the Morgan selection in Round 4 on a team with sooo many other needs.

With all that said, I couldn't vote "Mostly pessimistic" although I agree with the second sentence in that choice, "Early results not encouraging."  I went with "Pessimistic by default" because while I'm hopeful that over time JD will prove to be a significant improvement over Macc he still has a lot to prove....and hasn't really proved anything yet (again, with the exception of likely getting an excellent LT).

• Thumb Down 1

Some potential, we need him to be an Lou Lamierello type of GM, an all-star, to turn this thing around..

If the band aid brothers let him do his thing we have a shot, if they push their non football brains upon him we are screwed...

He has to pick a great great coach or we will return to the spin cycle of suck...

• Upvote 1

Am very positive about JD. So he made a few mistakes, should have kept Robbie and perhaps invested in another wr. O- line doesn’t look great but hard to evaluate since due to injuries they never had a chance to play as a unit. Am super excited over Becton and Mims, Perrine also looks promising- can’t wait to see the rest of the rookies, Clark, Zuniga and perhaps most of all Hall, we do need help at corners. So far I really like JD’s approach. We stink this year but the future looks bright!!

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I'd feel a lot better if his picks had logged more playing time.  Year one is too early to judge a draft class.  This class is being looked at in week 7 with almost all of them missing huge chunks of time up until last week.

Ask again in a month and we'll have a better idea.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

If you can make it there, you’ll make it anywhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

It’s much too early to truly judge JD. By this time in his GMing, Macc had just come off winning executive of the year.

I would say I’m cautiously optimistic though. He has a clear plan that I agree with.

What do we know about JD? He wants to

1) build through the draft (agree)

2) build the trenches first (agree)

3) draft players who love football (agree)

Its too early to judge his first draft but I’m optimistic we’ve drafted a solid LT, a solid WR, and a handful of descent role players.  Considering the positions he drafted, it’s hard not to be optimistic.

• Upvote 1

1. How do you rate your confidence in JD ?..

~ ~ ~ ~  Cautious optimism. Good pedigree, but who knows how instrumental he was in the decisions of his prior teams.

~ ~ he's gonna need at least 2 or 3 more years/seasons to build our roster  :unsure: 

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

12. JD will lead us. Get on before it’s too late. 

We're all onboard man.  We all want him to succeed....badly.

But it's fair to look out the window and try to see where we're going as he takes us there.

Gase was hired by the Jets 22 months ago.  Douglas was hired by the Jets 18 months ago.  I think we can start to evaluate them based on how they're performing, ask intelligent questions about whether they're doing a good job or not, and have some informed opinions by now.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

It much to early to truly judge JD. By this time in his GMing, Macc had just come off winning executive of the year.

I would say I’m cautiously optimistic though. He has a clear plan that I agree with.

What do we know about JD? He wants to

1) build through the draft (agree)

2) build the trenches first (agree)

3) draft players who love football (agree)

Its too early to judge his first draft but I’m optimistic we’ve drafted a solid LT, a solid WR, and a handful of descent role players.  Considering the positions he drafted, it’s hard not to be optimistic.

His approach seems perfect so far.  It's a positive that he's focusing on the exact areas we think we need (offense, OL, etc.).  I'm also very happy with the shedding of bad contracts, the trade value he's achieved in moving key players like Adams, Leo Williams, and even Willis.  But while we think we see the plan we have to be honest about the execution so far.  This team is less talented now than last year, we've spent a lot of money and used a #11 pick to make a moderate but not exceptional improvement to the OLine.  The WR group is worse than last year.  I'm hopeful, I see the plan, I know why he's doing what he's doing.....but just like with Gase I don't think we can always say, "I see what he's trying to do but he just doesn't have the resources to do it yet.  We need to be patient and shouldn't criticize him."

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, peebag said:

Pessimistic at this point.

I understand the tear down going on at this point.  However, what JD and Gase presented for 2020 is turning out to be historically bad and it cant be all Gase's fault.

The word "fault" is an interesting one.  I think Jets fans here don't struggle with this word enough and don't really consider it....they just assign it to things and throw it around.  It's all Gases's fault.  It's Douglas' fault.  It's Darnold's fault, etc.

I'm not smart enough to say that this team is 0-7 and it's 40% due to Gase sucking as a coach, 30% because Darnold sucks at QB and 30% because Douglas has made the roster worse and subtracted talent.  But it has to be some combination of all of that.  We seem to pretty easily excuse some guys and heap fault on others.  While people mostly agree that a "Tear it down" plan is what the Jets need, that they should be a net seller and not a buyer of free agents, that they should trade talent away for draft picks, etc.  I'm not sure how we can give JD credit for that plan and excuse a bad roster while at the same time wondering why the coaches and players can't win.  It's kinda like weighing a kid down with a 30 lb backpack and then complaining that he's walking up the hill so slowly.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The word "fault" is an interesting one.  I think Jets fans here don't struggle with this word enough and don't really consider it....they just assign it to things and throw it around.  It's all Gases's fault.  It's Douglas' fault.  It's Darnold's fault, etc.

I'm not smart enough to say that this team is 0-7 and it's 40% due to Gase sucking as a coach, 30% because Darnold sucks at QB and 30% because Douglas has made the roster worse and subtracted talent.  But it has to be some combination of all of that.  We seem to pretty easily excuse some guys and heap fault on others.  While people mostly agree that a "Tear it down" plan is what the Jets need, that they should be a net seller and not a buyer of free agents, that they should trade talent away for draft picks, etc.  I'm not sure how we can give JD credit for that plan and excuse a bad roster while at the same time wondering why the coaches and players can't win.  It's kinda like weighing a kid down with a 30 lb backpack and then complaining that he's walking up the hill so slowly.

Lot easier to load everything on a scapegoat and send it over the cliff rather than accept that complex systemic breakdowns almost always have multiple causes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

That would be optimistic by default. I’ll also kindly ask you to refrain from using the phrase “instant gratification” in regards to Jets fans — do you know what you call impatient Jets fans? Titans fans.

But that's what we want.  Lets all come back in 2022 and see where we are at, because this and next year will be a **** show

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

But that's what we want.  Lets all come back in 2022 and see where we are at, because this and next year will be a **** show

No argument but are you optimistic -- or pessimistic -- that JD is the guy to guide us out of it?

IMO there are two ways to look at this. The first way is Douglas has done a good job so far of weeding out players who don’t want to play for the jets, don’t want to be on a rebuilding team, or will cost too much going forward.  The second way is drafting players that can play and also fill a particular need.  This one easier because the jets need quite a bit.  And he hasn’t been shy about trading fan popular players. To me he’s taking a long term approach and recognized early on that this team was going nowhere. Assuming he can continue to find good players jets fans should have a lot of faith even as the team struggles through a potential 0-16 season.

The second way is his contract is for 6 years so unless he gets on the fbi’s most wanted list, the jets are stuck with him.  If he works out people will need to thank the Johnson s for hiring the right guy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Good point. I think of people want it both ways. I’m pretty optimistic that Douglas is the right guy.  I don’t see where he decreased the overall talent on this team from any one of the past Maccagnan seasons.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

IMO there are two ways to look at this. The first way is Douglas has done a good job so far of weeding out players who don’t want to play for the jets, don’t want to be on a rebuilding team, or will cost too much going forward.  The second way is drafting players that can play and also fill a particular need.  This one easier because the jets need quite a bit.  And he hasn’t been shy about trading fan popular players. To me he’s taking a long term approach and recognized early on that this team was going nowhere. Assuming he can continue to find good players jets fans should have a lot of faith even as the team struggles through a potential 0-16 season.

The second way is his contract is for 6 years so unless he gets on the fbi’s most wanted list, the jets are stuck with him.  If he works out people will need to thank the Johnson s for hiring the right guy.

Kind of where I am. JD is our guy for probably 4 more years no matter what. Would've been expecting a miracle for him to turn this team into a winner this year. I choose optimism now. The alternative is way too dark.

• Upvote 1

The NY Jets are 0-7 soon to be 0-8 with JD as GM. 

What? You’re not happy with finally sucking right?
His long have we heard that argument of sucking the right way? It’s happening. Let’s enjoy watching Our 2021 starting CB Bryce hall this week.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app