2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Dude give it a rest

It's a baseball forum. I am talking baseball, with supporting numbers and stats. You are trying to support "opinions".

Here, name me one game that Dom Smith cost the Mets with an actual error in left field last year. Your memory is so good, as you call him "awful", that you must have numerous examples.

Go!!!

34 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Is it true he took less to play for LA

They are paying him 85mm for 2 years, the most of any player in baseball. The guy has never been the #1 guy on any staff before last years little league season. MLB had him the #3 guy in Dodger’s rotation. Good miss. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

They are paying him 85mm for 2 years, the most of any player in baseball. The guy has never been the #1 guy on any staff before last years little league season. MLB had him the #3 guy in Dodger’s rotation. Good miss. 

He’s also a Jamaal type a-hole. Good miss is right. We have enough guns in the SP, work on getting all the big pieces signed (Lindor, Conforto) fill out the BP and play ball!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Signing of Almora is at least a start in CF. He is an excellent CF, and a RH bat, which they need in the line-up. At one time he was thought of as a big time prospect, but his bat never cam earound. If Almora is all they add in CF, my guess is he will platoon with Nimmo and serve as late innings defense in games he does not start. That would move Nimmo to LF to spell Dom as late inning defense replacement.

I would anticipate some more moves here.

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Signing of Almora is at least a start in CF. He is an excellent CF, and a RH bat, which they need in the line-up. At what time was thought of as a big time prospect, but his bat never cam around. If Almora is all they add in CF, my guess is he will platoon with Nimmo and serve as late innings defense in games he does not start. That would move Nimmo to LF to spell Dom as late inning defense replacement.

I would anticipate some more moves here.

Not a bad move. Bradley was probably asking way too much. Sounds like still looking for another starter. Would you take a shot at Arietta or Paxton? Me, pay Conforto and Lindor.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Not a bad move. Bradley was probably asking way too much. Sounds like still looking for another starter. Would you take a shot at Arietta or Paxton? Me, pay Conforto and Lindor.

I would try and add another arm as insurance. Depends on cost. I would prefer the lefty. Gives us more options during late pennant chase 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would try and add another arm as insurance. Depends on cost. I would prefer the lefty. Gives us more options during late pennant chase 

Agree.

The expectation should be they will use some of the money that was targeted for Bauer, elsewhere. I would really like to do something at 3B, maybe see what kind of money Turner needs on a 2 year deal. i can't believe he is in LA's plans any more. Then trade Davis.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I watched Arrietta the last couple of years, he looks shot. Don't know a lot on Paxton.

I would have to believe that trying to extend Lindor was always going to happen regardless who they signed this year. I thought that signing Bauer would maybe have taken Conforto off the table. Wit Boras as an agent, that always worries me.

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I watched Arrietta the last couple of years, he looks shot. Don't know a lot on Paxton.

I would have to believe that trying to extend Lindor was always going to happen regardless who they signed this year. I thought that signing Bauer would maybe have taken Conforto off the table. Wit Boras as an agent, that always worries me.

Yes..true POS.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

As far as CF goes we may have dodged a bullet with Springer. Pete Crow-Armstrong is a ++ defensive CF with speed. He may be ready in ‘22 to make the move to the show. 

Springer will not be playing CF in 6 years. he will have to move off that spot.

2022 is a little early for PC-A, as he is just a high school kid. He will need at least 2 years seasoning. His defense is MLB ready, but you would hate to disrupt his progress as a hitter, as that still needs development.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Springer will not be playing CF in 6 years. he will have to move off that spot.

2022 is a little early for PC-A, as he is just a high school kid. He will need at least 2 years seasoning. His defense is MLB ready, but you would hate to disrupt his progress as a hitter, as that still needs development.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/06/mets-prospect-pete-crow-armstrong-a-stud-to-dominic-smith/

Strawberry was just over 20 when he arrived in Flushing. Now the prodigious hitting prowess are not comparable but the glove is much better. He might be equal to Almaty offensively by next year. 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/06/mets-prospect-pete-crow-armstrong-a-stud-to-dominic-smith/

Strawberry was just over 20 when he arrived in Flushing. Now the prodigious hitting prowess are not comparable but the glove is much better. He might be equal to Almaty offensively by next year. 

You don't do that to a kid. Give him every opportunity to learn. You can stifle a prospect by pushing too much, too fast. you have to remeber, he did not have any time in rookie ball last year. His progress will tell you when he is ready.

36 minutes ago, section314 said:

Decent depth signing of Villar. Needed to get a versatile inf. after the Lindor trade.

He gives the Mets some speed, and the versatility as you mention. They could now move McNeil to 3b sometimes and Villar goes to second.

With the "California Rules" again in effect for extra innings, Villar is a tremendous asset to put at 2nd base in those spots.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He gives the Mets some speed, and the versatility as you mention. They could now move McNeil to 3b sometimes and Villar goes to second.

With the "California Rules" again in effect for extra innings, Villar is a tremendous asset to put at 2nd base in those spots.

Great point.

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

Great point.

What you are seeing is not that most likely the DH is not going to happen forthis year, NL clubs need to strengthen their bench, as we get back to what will probably be the last year for managerial second guessing, NL brand baseball.

I know that Justin Turner is likely ticketed for LA again, but would really like to give him a solid 2 year deal, and trade JD Davis for some pitching depth.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What you are seeing is not that most likely the DH is not going to happen forthis year, NL clubs need to strengthen their bench, as we get back to what will probably be the last year for managerial second guessing, NL brand baseball.

I know that Justin Turner is likely ticketed for LA again, but would really like to give him a solid 2 year deal, and trade JD Davis for some pitching depth.

That would be nice, especially after Bauer. I think losing Turner would hurt LA more than losing Bauer would us. Actually, I'm sure of it.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Anybody see the PECOTA projections for 2021? Just can't get the Braves projection.

National League East

1. Mets: 96-66 (77% odds to win division)
  2. Nationals: 85-77 (10%)
  3. Phillies: 83-79 (7%)
  4. Braves: 82-80 (5%)
  5. Marlins: 68-94 (0%)

Was watching it live last night on MLB. Leiter, Plesac and Brian Kenney all felt the same way, think Braves are still the best team, but think Mets will be really good and can win 90+. I wonder if Braves ace Fedorowitz( sorry for attempted spelling) will be out longer, or if Noah is way ahead of schedule? But this is just stat geeks, right?

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Was watching it live last night on MLB. Leiter, Plesac and Brian Kenney all felt the same way, think Braves are still the best team, but think Mets will be really good and can win 90+. I wonder if Braves ace Fedorowitz( sorry for attempted spelling) will be out longer, or if Noah is way ahead of schedule? But this is just stat geeks, right?

Yes, it is stat geeks taking player expectations and putting those into a team context. i have never read anything on their accuracy of analysis. Take it with a grain of salt. I do know that PECOTA is an acronym of something, but they derived it from journeyman Bill Pecota.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:03 AM, Scott Dierking said:

Agree.

The expectation should be they will use some of the money that was targeted for Bauer, elsewhere. I would really like to do something at 3B, maybe see what kind of money Turner needs on a 2 year deal. i can't believe he is in LA's plans any more. Then trade Davis.

71482D21-DC2F-4D13-A42B-DC35787B317B.gif

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This is funny because you call Smith a butcher in left field. Davis is beyond that. He is a hack at the position.

2 guys that need to get at bats. What are you going to do. This defense is going to cost them many wins. Get a 1-0 lead and put in the D subs ?

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Just saw the trade. Don’t know what to make of this. Anyone have some insight on Lee? Sandy sure has been busy. I wonder if he’s setting up for another big trade? Getting all the pieces together. 

• Upvote 2