2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The trade is a good one because it gives an alternative to Matz. Matz salary is $5.2m but is not guaranteed. That makes him valuable as a trade asset also, and gives the Mets flexibility to add more payroll if they so choose. 

As well, the mets need young arms. deGrom is getting older, Syndergaard is not a given Carasco is getting older and Strohman is a FA after the year. The upper level of the Mets system is not stocked with quality arms. Lucchesi may be an important chip. It costs them next to nothing. 

ok but he kinda sucks no?

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

ok but he kinda sucks no?

For a 5, he is fine. Not many teams are giving up young, controllable pitching that is decent. Lucchesi represents that with upside. The Mets struck with the Padres needing to move a man off their 40 man roster. The Padres are still so stacked in the minor leagues, and wanting to protect those players, that they let loose a decent piece. 

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

For a 5, he is fine. Not many teams are giving up young, controllable pitching that is decent. Lucchesi represents that with upside. The Mets struck with the Padres needing to move a man off their 40 man roster. The Padres are still so stacked in the minor leagues, and wanting to protect those players, that they let loose a decent piece. 

ok we'll see. If he bombs no great loss.  Was hoping for a better option.  Bauer seems like a pipe dream at this  point.  

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

ok we'll see. If he bombs no great loss.

This was the scouting report on Lucchesi when he came up in 2018:

On Thursday afternoon the San Diego Padres announced that pitching prospect Joey Lucchesi would be promoted to the majors Friday, taking the designated rotation spot of injured right-hander Dinelson Lamet and starting tomorrow’s game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

Lucchesi ranked 121st on the pre-season Top 175 MLB Prospects for 2018 list. He was rated eighth in the Padres system with this report written in early January:

? Joey Lucchesi, LHP, Grade B: Age 24, fourth round pick in 2016 from Southeast Missouri State University; posted 2.20 ERA with 148/33 K/BB in 139 innings between High-A and Double-A, just 102 hits; 90-94 fastball, sometimes a notch higher, with above-average curveball and change-up; throws strikes despite unconventional delivery, deceptive and confident; possible number three starter. ETA late 2018.

Lucchesi was impressive in spring camp, allowing two runs over 11.2 innings with a 9/5 K/BB and just five hits allowed.

As noted in his pre-season report he was statistically dominant in High-A and Double-A last year with excellent ratios across the board. He has a respectable fastball in the low-90s and both of his secondary pitches are very effective. There’s deception in his delivery and he has stood out since his college days for mound presence and pitchability.Lucchesi has no experience above Double-A but is close to being a finished product and I don’t think the earlier-than-expected promotion presents any undue development risk. About the only thing you can nitpick is an occasional command wobble but that’s certainly true for most 24-year olds.

He’s often projected as a fourth starter but once Luchessi settles in he could exceed that expectation.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Guy is a good player. Did the Mets resign Wilson?

Justin Wislon is still a FA.

I don't see how the Mets sign Springer, and then extend both Lindor and Conforto.

There are some contracts that come off the books next spring, but there will be some SP roles to fill, and that doesn't even take into account what they do with Syndergaard. Maybe Syndergaard and Strohman compete for one contract this year.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This was the scouting report on Lucchesi when he came up in 2018:

On Thursday afternoon the San Diego Padres announced that pitching prospect Joey Lucchesi would be promoted to the majors Friday, taking the designated rotation spot of injured right-hander Dinelson Lamet and starting tomorrow’s game against the Milwaukee Brewers.

Lucchesi ranked 121st on the pre-season Top 175 MLB Prospects for 2018 list. He was rated eighth in the Padres system with this report written in early January:

? Joey Lucchesi, LHP, Grade B: Age 24, fourth round pick in 2016 from Southeast Missouri State University; posted 2.20 ERA with 148/33 K/BB in 139 innings between High-A and Double-A, just 102 hits; 90-94 fastball, sometimes a notch higher, with above-average curveball and change-up; throws strikes despite unconventional delivery, deceptive and confident; possible number three starter. ETA late 2018.

Lucchesi was impressive in spring camp, allowing two runs over 11.2 innings with a 9/5 K/BB and just five hits allowed.

As noted in his pre-season report he was statistically dominant in High-A and Double-A last year with excellent ratios across the board. He has a respectable fastball in the low-90s and both of his secondary pitches are very effective. There’s deception in his delivery and he has stood out since his college days for mound presence and pitchability.Lucchesi has no experience above Double-A but is close to being a finished product and I don’t think the earlier-than-expected promotion presents any undue development risk. About the only thing you can nitpick is an occasional command wobble but that’s certainly true for most 24-year olds.

He’s often projected as a fourth starter but once Luchessi settles in he could exceed that expectation.

Not getting my expectations hyped up.  Its a shot in the dark.  

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Justin Wislon is still a FA.

I don't see how the Mets sign Springer, and then extend both Lindor and Conforto.

There are some contracts that come off the books next spring, but there will be some SP roles to fill, and that doesn't even take into account what they do with Syndergaard. Maybe Syndergaard and Strohman compete for one contract this year.

I would think with Cohen's belief that we are going to keep our own guys that he would be next in line after the trade. Think he is on the verge of taking the next step into being a top 20-25 guy in MLB. One thing I liked in the Lucchesi report you posted is that "he throws strikes." I think you said you have a boy who pitches, and you know better than anyone that the most important pitch in every at bat is strike one. Guys who consistently pitch from behind consistently lose.

• Upvote 2

Glad to seen the Mets make a fast decision on this guy (who I’d never heard of before he was hired). I don’t think he was the Mets first choice I remember the Mets owner remarking how hard it was to find a GM. There were rumors the ones they really wanted they weren’t given permission by their current teams to interview. But this makes Alderson look really bad hiring somebody like him. It kind of reminds you of the year Favre played for the Jets and a female journalist accused him of sexting her. 

Springer would have been nice, but he got 6 years from the Jays, and I am happy the Mets passed on that. Lindor and Conforto are both 27, and we need to take care of them. I'd much rather commit big $ and 5-6 years to those guys, who will still be in their primes, than still paying  Springer at 36&37. Think it was a smart decision.

• Upvote 2

On 1/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, section314 said:

Springer would have been nice, but he got 6 years from the Jays, and I am happy the Mets passed on that. Lindor and Conforto are both 27, and we need to take care of them. I'd much rather commit big $ and 5-6 years to those guys, who will still be in their primes, than still paying  Springer at 36&37. Think it was a smart decision.

Whatever happened to Legares? Bring back Juan. 

33 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What the hell ? No Brad Hand or George Springer . We better get Bauer or I smell Wilpon Part 2 .

Hopefully they are working to extend Lindor and Conforto. Story on SNY other night that they may be looking to do a 1-2 year big $ deal with Bauer. Nats only gave Hand 1 year.

41 minutes ago, section314 said:

Hopefully they are working to extend Lindor and Conforto. Story on SNY other night that they may be looking to do a 1-2 year big $ deal with Bauer. Nats only gave Hand 1 year.

Mets actually offered more money than the Nats on Hand. He wants to close and the Mets don't offer him that.  Also, his home is near where the Nats train. Sounds like the fallback may be Justin Wilson.

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, section314 said:

I am good with that. We have a multi-billionaire and a weird, but talented, starting picture who gets into troble on Twitter. I'm good with 2 years. If he performs we can renew or let him walk & get a draft pick.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If it works out that way, obviously will have a huge affect on how the mets are constructed. 

Yes. Might be some hope because sounds like players didn't want it be be a trade off for expanded playoffs. If it was a stand alone, they may ok it. I 'm not one of these big analytics guys, but Stevie Cohen is. According to that stuff, Nimmo kills the Mets with his defense in CF. You can't take Dom's bat out of the lineup. Nimmo is kind of like Sam in a way, supposedly lots of fans around MLB for him like for Sam in the NFL. Maybe sign Bradley Jr like you have been saying, and try to trade Nimmo?

On 1/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, section314 said:

Players said no to universal DH.

No DH totally changes Mets strategy going forward.  Dom Smith becomes a huge trade chip. No way they put Smith in LF and Nimmo in right. Smith is a bigger detriment defensively in left than Nimmo is in center and they refuse to even entertain Nimmo playing center.  Another pending issue is 3rd base. I could actually live with JD at 3rd base. He is such a clutch hitter that his bat is absolutely crucial.  You can always bring in defensive help in late innings to relieve JD.  We must get another starter and a centerfielder and Sandy wont stop until those 2 spots are filled.  

Seems like Mets had no plans for Matz to be in the rotation, and when they signed the guy from Tampa he was expendable. Reid-Foley and Diaz were on Jays 40 man roster. All are young, hard throwers, and can at least restock the system some. Doubt the $ savings would really figure into Bauer, might be more important as far as a CF, maybe Bradley JR?

10 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

No DH totally changes Mets strategy going forward.  Dom Smith becomes a huge trade chip. No way they put Smith in LF and Nimmo in right. Smith is a bigger detriment defensively in left than Nimmo is in center and they refuse to even entertain Nimmo playing center.  Another pending issue is 3rd base. I could actually live with JD at 3rd base. He is such a clutch hitter that his bat is absolutely crucial.  You can always bring in defensive help in late innings to relieve JD.  We must get another starter and a centerfielder and Sandy wont stop until those 2 spots are filled.  

1. The no DH is not necessarily a done deal. Ongoing talks.

2. I don't believe the Mets want to trade Smith at all.

3. LF defense is FAR less important than CF defense. A team can exist with a statue out there, but you better have a great CF then. Thus, the Mets unwillingness to have a Nimmo Smith combo.

4. Nimmo is never going to RF at least this year. That is Conforto's spot.

5. Davis to me is meh. What he does do is give the Mets a right hand bat, which this line up needs badly. The need for another RH bat is why JBJ is not as enticing.

6. Getting another starter is not a "must", but it would strengthen everyone's spot a little bit more, of course depending the quality of that starter.

52 minutes ago, section314 said:

Seems like Mets had no plans for Matz to be in the rotation, and when they signed the guy from Tampa he was expendable. Reid-Foley and Diaz were on Jays 40 man roster. All are young, hard throwers, and can at least restock the system some. Doubt the $ savings would really figure into Bauer, might be more important as far as a CF, maybe Bradley JR?

Good trade. Even if the Mets get something serviceable from even one of those players in the future, it is a plus. Matz is done with the Mets and they were not going to re-sign him this year, unless he had some type of magical rebound. I don't think that is happening with his metal make-up. At least not here.

Biggest thing, it gives the higher level of the minors some reinforcement, as that level is barren.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

1. The no DH is not necessarily a done deal. Ongoing talks.

2. I don't believe the Mets want to trade Smith at all.

3. LF defense is FAR less important than CF defense. A team can exist with a statue out there, but you better have a great CF then. Thus, the Mets unwillingness to have a Nimmo Smith combo.

4. Nimmo is never going to RF at least this year. That is Conforto's spot.

5. Davis to me is meh. What he does do is give the Mets a right hand bat, which this line up needs badly. The need for another RH bat is why JBJ is not as enticing.

6. Getting another starter is not a "must", but it would strengthen everyone's spot a little bit more, of course depending the quality of that starter.

Lol Smith is BRUTAL in LF. Ain’t happening. Sandy’s quote “Dom is not a LF”. Then shook his head in horror. JD was on fire in 2019. His bat is vital in this lineup. It’s going to be tough for Sandy to figure it out if there’s no DH. What do you do with Dom? And they obviously want another starter and feel it’s a must. Why offer Bauer 30-35 M for 2 years?  

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Lol Smith is BRUTAL in LF. Ain’t happening. Sandy’s quote “Dom is not a LF”. Then shook his head in horror. JD was on fire in 2019. His bat is vital in this lineup. It’s going to be tough for Sandy to figure it out if there’s no DH. What do you do with Dom? And they obviously want another starter and feel it’s a must. Why offer Bauer 30-35 M for 2 years?  

Cliff Floyd was worse in LF than Smith is and the Mets won a pennant that way. It all matters who you put in CF to shade the LF.  teams get by with below average LFers all the time. 

The mets need clarification on whether the NL will have the DH or not.

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Cliff Floyd was worse in LF than Smith is and the Mets won a pennant that way. It all matters who you put in CF to shade the LF.  teams get by with below average LFers all the time. 

The mets need clarification on whether the NL will have the DH or not.

And it won’t happen. Sandy is not putting Nimmo in CF which leaves Smith on the bench. Sandy is in a tough spot if there’s no DH. He has to figure out what to do with Smith. Makes no sense to keep him on the bench. He’s not replacing Alfonso at first. He’s not playing left field. Nimmo is going to LF. 

12 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

And it won’t happen. Sandy is not putting Nimmo in CF which leaves Smith on the bench. Sandy is in a tough spot if there’s no DH. He has to figure out what to do with Smith. Makes no sense to keep him on the bench. He’s not replacing Alfonso at first. He’s not playing left field. Nimmo is going to LF. 

What won't happen?

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

What won't happen?

Smith playing left with Nimmo playing center - Sandy said so ....so. Nimmo will be in left. Sandy will get a CF. If no DH, what do you do with Dom? Such a waste to leave him on bench. Alfonso needs to play every day. He was miserable last year platooning with Smith as DH. Not a good idea to do  no t JD at again. Just leave Polar Bear ?❄️  at first.