Just take Wilson and be done with it

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Sewell doesn't have the classic long arms that star NFL left tackles do.  I think Sewell will be a surefire hall of famer as a guard, and he might even be a great RT even if he's smaller than Becton.  Just my opinion.  Becton is a Walter Jones type who is excelling at LT, why change now?  Sewell is the versatile guy, you can play him anywhere else other than center and he'd probably play at a pro bowl level, but I think with his body type his most dominant position would be left guard.

i don't care where they Play Sewell tbh he's going to be successful wherever we agree he has Canton level skillset

but it would be somewhat weird if this years 2 prospect wasn't better than last year's 11 prospect

I'm not sure about Sewell's arm length but his Oregon coaches said he could play at 375. that's like 50 more pounds than he showed in 2019

that would imply long arms but as with all these guys, it's pending measurements

I believe Sewell can be a better LT than Becton. Becton is really only dominant as a run blocker, Myles Garrett got the best of him yesterday and I wonder if Sewell can do better 

this is a Wilson thread there's a real chance this kid isn't 6'3" and is actually 6'1" which might actually help his "lanky" size/speed ratio in a weird way 

41 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Logistically, can we take Wilson AND keep Darnold and let the two compete? Or no?

Help me!

Think there is only one way that happens, and it could.  

Douglas has shown in the past that if he puts a value on a player he's not going to trade him unless he gets it.  Like the Prez.  In that case he got it.

If he decides to put a 1st or 2nd round value on Darnold, and has no takers, I could see him bringing Sam back again next year, even if he takes a QB at 2.  Let Darnold start the season, make the rook win his job.  Perhaps with an improved team Darnold can play well enough to get a 1 or 2.  I'm actually good with that scenairo

I do not think this will really be JDs call, it will more be the new HC even if that HC works for JD. 

If the new HC says I want Wilson or Fields than barring huge character issues or failed medicals we will draft that QB at 2.

If he says his favorite guy is Mac Jones or Trask then JD will start to look at trade down scenarios that still guarantee his guy.

I am like 150% in on Wilson. I have never really been obsessed with getting a certain player before.

I wanted Sam, that has not worked out so well.

I really wanted Mahomes, I hated Deshaun Watson. So my opinion means zilch, but none of the other opinions was as strong as this one. 

I watch Wilson and I see Rodgers and Favre sort of rolled into one.

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets don't have any sort of Identity, drafting Sewell and moving Becton to RT would give the team an instant identity and you are right they can find adequate interior OL through FA 

Sewell only turned 20 years old on October 9th! This guys Scouting Profile is just ridiculous. To think what our offense could do with a creative Head Coach & a plain old nasty Oline, Talk about being able to close out games!

Sewell looks set to be a perennial pro bowler and should be a starter for the NFL from day one. All this and he doesn’t turn 20 until 9th October!!!

Sewell is a fool-proof prospect. He doesn’t have many flaws and any team will be lucky to pick him up in next year’s draft. His ideal size and unique quickness and movement is what jumps out on film. But it’s the power he can generate to finish that is really impressive – he makes it all look so easy. 

Could you imagine Sewell pushing Mekhi & some solid vets in between these 2 beasts like Thuney & Lindsey? Front 7s would hate playing the Jets & Safeties & LBs would hate when these boys get to the 2nd level. 

Steve Serby article with input from our friend Tony Pauline and another draft guy.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/26/nfl-draft-2021-trevor-lawrence-wont-be-the-only-prize/

2. Justin Fields, Ohio State 

Fields is battling to be the second QB taken. 

“He really struggles getting off that first read from time to time,” Reid said. “He gets stuck on that first guy and he waits for him to come open as opposed to progressing through to the next guy, and what happens is he holds the ball too long and he ends up taking big losses for a sack. But outside of that he has the arm strength that you’re looking for, he has the leadership qualities that you love to see, and then of course his mobility, I think that’s a big asset to his game as well.” 

“Great athlete, competitive guy, big arm, patient passer, a quarterback who can run, but runs only when necessary — he’s not a running athlete who plays the quarterback position,” Pauline said. “Probably could have sat out this year, but really pushed the envelope to play this year. … He doesn’t process things as quickly as you would like; makes some questionable decisions at times, but he’s got a great amount of upside and he’s got some terrific physical skills.” 

What if he was in the 2020 QB class? 

“Let’s put it this way: Prior to the last two games [Northwestern, Indiana], I would have said he would be taken before Tua [Tagovailoa],” Pauline said. “I would say that he would be in the mix with Tua and Justin Herbert for that second, third, fourth quarterback selected.” 

3. QB Zach Wilson, BYU: 

Wilson is battling Fields to be the second QB taken

“Good arm, doesn’t have a Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields arm, but his arm is good enough to make all the throws,” Pauline said. “Accurate, good pass placement, good speed, good timing on all of his passes. … The foot speed to make plays in or out of the pocket or pick up yards with his legs. … What’s going on between his ears is right up there with Trevor Lawrence. He’s a student of the game. I was told months ago that when Zach Wilson interviews in the pre-draft process, people are gonna be blown away by this guy. The only thing is he’s a shorter (6-foot-2) quarterback.” 

Reid rated him a fifth-round prospect entering the season following shoulder surgery and a broken thumb. Now he gives Wilson the slight edge over Fields. 

“He has those loose movements as far as his arm strength and just how the ball comes off his hand very violently,” Reid said. “The competition that he’s faced is something that is gonna be a huge question mark about him, but not for me.” 

Where would Wilson and Fields rank in the 2020 QB class? 

“I think they probably be behind Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa, but they probably would be right in the mix of where Justin Herbert was as a prospect for me,” Reid said. 

4. LT Penei Sewell, Oregon: 

“I think he’s phenomenal as far as just how well his body is constructed, how much power he plays with, and then his combination of athleticism and awareness,” Reid said. 

Is he strictly a left tackle? 

“Really he can play all five positions in my opinion, I think he has the athleticism and the smarts to do so,” Reid said. 

“He’s a terrific pass protector, fundamentally sound, good footwork off the edge, you can get him out on the second level, you can pull him across the line of scrimmage and get him to block,” Pauline said. “He should be able to start from Day 1.” 

Could he play RT? (Psst, Jets fans, wouldn’t you like a bookend for Mekhi Becton? … Wrong time for this, you’re still in mourning over Trevor Lawrence). 

“In a Philadelphia Eagles-type of system, what they did with Lane Johnson, he has that ability,” Pauline said. “He’s not your classic punch-you-in-the-face, block-with-a-nasty-attitude, bury-you-in-the-ground run-blocking right tackle.” 

Where would he rank in last year’s OT class? 

“Probably would have been the first tackle drafted,” Pauline said. “Somebody said to me in the league back in June, Penei Sewell can sit around for the next month and do nothing but eat cheese doodles and he’s gonna be a top-five pick.” 

“I liked [Jedrick] Wills and [Tristan] Wirfs better than him, honestly, so he probably would have been my third guy, ahead of Thomas and Becton,” Reid said. 

5. WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU 

“A player that just had that ‘my ball’ mentality that you love to see, he’s just so gifted with going up and just physically dominating guys at the catch point,” Reid said. “He can run any route in the route tree. Very strong hands.” 

“He is a dynamic, big-play receiver who also makes the ordinary, underneath reception, he’s a good downfield blocker, doesn’t have the great size, he’s probably gonna measure under 6 feet tall,” Pauline said. 

Where would Chase, who opted out this season, rank in last year’s WR class? 

“He would have been the first receiver selected last year,” Pauline said.

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

On 12/28/2020 at 10:35 AM, Warfish said:

Zach Wilson, BYU, 6'3", 210#

Played mostly 2nd tier schools in the CUSA, American and SunBelt conferences.

73.4%, 3,699 Passing Yards, 33 TD, 3 INT.

vs. 

Kyle Trask, Florida, 6'5", 240#

Played in the SEC against all SEC schools.

69.7%, 4,125 Passing Yards, 43 TD's, 5 INT's

Wilson will (likely) cost us the #2 overall pick to acquire.

Trask will (likely) cost us our top 3rd Round Pick to acquire.

Someone explain to me why Trask is not the better choice (for us) to Wilson.

Because the idea of picking an elite O-lineman (at #2), a #1 WR (at #26) and a playmaking #1 RB (in the 2nd) THEN getting Trask appeals to me.

What am I not seeing here?

On 12/28/2020 at 10:47 AM, Morrissey said:

Simple. Trask has a back-up skill set. Ignore the numbers, ignore the schools. Slow delivery, avg arm strength, not particularly mobile..

did you watch trash tonight?

On 12/28/2020 at 11:24 AM, Rhg1084 said:

You keep bringing up the surgeries, but the guy can still throw the ball 80 yards through the air. So what do the surgeries matter if this guy can still sling it? It’s like when a pitcher has Tommy John surgery and comes back throwing harder than before 

He thinks it 1920 instead of 2020.  Someone needs to bring him up to speed on modern sports medicine.

• Upvote 1