Perriman and Mims don't talk about fight club.. if fight club is Sam Darnold.

pointman

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Of course I'm judging by career stats alone, production is all that matters.  

Judging Anderson by his career to-date (mostly with Darnold) when looking forward at how he will produce with Darnold in 2020 was and is entirely appropriate.

As to your "rounding down" comment, give me a break, I'm using generalizations here.  If you absolutely must have a to-the-yard number of Anderson, you can go to Pro Football Reference and calculate it yourself.  The round number was close enough for me (700 vs. 764).  

As an aside, his Yards-Per-Target was unchanged in 2020 (8.1), Carolina just threw him the ball a ton more times (136 in 2020 vs. 96 with us) and his production per reception dropped considerably (from 15.0 to 11.5).  Basically Andersons production in 2020 was higher because Christian McCaffrey (who soaks up alot of catches) was hurt for much of the year.  With a healthy C.M., Anderson likely gets 30 less catches, and finishes up exactly where he usually finished up here with us.

Agreed.  It was unquestionably a risk, and to add, the "expected production" was clearly being based on his play at the end of 2019, a very small sample size.  No doubt whatsoever JD was taking a calculated risk.

Letting a 2nd tier talent like Robby go when asking for too much money for his production is not the killer his fanbois think it is.  He made no difference to wins and losses in Carolina (A 5 win team with Robby with much more talent than us), and would have made absolutely no difference here to the course of our season.  

Sometimes people say what fans want to hear.  

What did we "miss out on" exactly?  An overpriced 2nd tier #2 WR?  A production variance of maybe ~200 yards total?  Yeah, that would have mattered to our paltry record.....

I'll just repeat what you yourself said a few posts ago:  

"I’m not upset over losing Anderson - there are other/better WRs to be had"

Our GM took a risk, and it didn't work out.  But at least he made an effort to try and improve what had been to that point a clearly and unquestionably underperforming spot on our team (#1 WR).  

Never has so much hot air been expelled for a 764 yard UDFA #1 WR.

It's not a fanbois thing, and judging from your reply, you're more upset about this than I am. It's poor judgment, and if he can't see that the QB is what lowered his production, rather than the receiver's ability himself, then he shouldn't be a GM. He has access to the HC/OC and all the practice and film that shows he's open and the victim of poor throws or no throws at all. Failure to see that - and presuming he's lazily just looking at stats without context - is my concern more than the loss of Anderson himself. Anderson is replaceable. 

Again, I don't care that he made a mistake so much as I care that he's usually made mistakes. I mean, try to name the shrewd FA pickups and judgment calls he's made since arriving. Then realize the number of poor judgment decisions already dwarfs that, with the lows much lower than the highs are high.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's not a fanbois thing, and judging from your reply, you're more upset about this than I am.

Lol, you picked that one word out of a massive reply, me think the lady doth protest too much!

All I'll say is this, if you don't think there is a healthy number of posters at JN who overvalue Anderson due a varying degrees of infection by what I'd call "Chrebet Syndrome", you're fooling yourself.  As I've said all along, and you seem to agree with, he can and should be replaced.  But Perriman clearly is not that guy.

It's poor judgment, and if he can't see that the QB is what lowered his production, rather than the receiver's ability himself, then he shouldn't be a GM.

Except as noted, the QB didn't reduce his production.  His level of production in Carolina was directly on par with his production here.  He just got more passes due to the C.M. injury.  His total production was effected by a volume, not quality, difference.

Anderson is replaceable.

We agree.  I'm very much hoping we finally get a legit #1 in the coming draft.

Again, I don't care that he made a mistake so much as I care that he's usually made mistakes. I mean, try to name the shrewd FA pickups and judgment calls he's made since arriving. Then realize the number of poor judgment decisions already dwarfs that, with the lows much lower than the highs are high.

Your evaluation is 100% appropriate.  J.D. has certainly not been close to perfect to-date.  Healthy skepticism of J.D. is warranted.

2 hours ago, genot said:

Your lying to yourself if you don't think Darnold is a good athlete. Did you see his 55 yd td run. H e made good athletes miss, three or four times during that run. Players around the league we're tweeting about that run. Does that mean he's a good QB. No. He is a hell of an athlete though.

I mean was Mahomes even a two star basketball prospect coming out of high school

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I mean was Mahomes even a two star basketball prospect coming out of high school

Im not comparing them as athletes. Im only talking about Sam. If your a 5 star recruit you must be viewed as simeone with very good athletic skills. No. 

2 hours ago, genot said:

Im not comparing them as athletes. Im only talking about Sam. If your a 5 star recruit you must be viewed as simeone with very good athletic skills. No. 

And I’m saying comparing them as athletes is literally the only thing that matters. No one cares that “Sam” could dunk when he was 17

On 2/3/2021 at 5:40 PM, pointman said:

Alan Hahn was on the Michael Kay Show and was talking about having Perriman and Mims on his radio show this morning. He said Mims was in love with The Deshaun and was gushing over him. He also talked about having to adjust to Flacco because the velocity of his passes. Perriman was talking about his love for Jameis Winston. When asked about not getting in a rhythm with Sam he just said he wasn't sure why. Both guys didn't talk much about Sam, and didn't lend much support for him either. Hahn said he and Bart were dumbfounded by it and found it really odd as usually players would support their guy until they weren't their guy anymore whether it be from them being traded or from a pending trade. Interesting. Sam gone.

Which is ridiculous because that does nothing but lower Sam's trade value. If I'm management I'm telling them they better have nothing but glowing remarks when asked about Sam to boost his value somewhat. But then.... there's the tape.. UGH!

On 2/3/2021 at 5:08 PM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

JN turns quick. Perriman went from a brilliant, savvy signing who was secretly a great player and better than robbie Anderson to a scrub JAG bust.

Funny thing is, he indeed looked like a lot better player with Flacco than darnold and so did mims.

And Darnold looked better with Robby. Way better. 

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

And I’m saying comparing them as athletes is literally the only thing that matters. No one cares that “Sam” could dunk when he was 17

We're looking at two different QB's based on our own bias. I saw Darnold elude Donald a whole helluva lot. He had to do that the whole game. Josh Andrews was at guard. It was very impressive that Donald only had one sack in game. He looks very athletic to me. The Jet's don't win games. That's the problem. Every opinion is based on our frustration being Jet fans