Wide Receivers in Free Agency

I think JD will prioritize WR in free agency.  No matter who the QB is, we need to add weapons to the offense and JD admitted it was a mistake not to bring Robby back at the contract he signed with Carolina.

I think most agree that Allen Robinson should be the #1 target if he isn't tagged.  But, if he doesn't hit the market I'm interested to see how everyone has the rest of the FA WRs ranked.

I would personally go:

1) Golladay

2) Ju Ju

3) Curtis Samuel

4) Godwin

Another interesting wrinkle - what if JD signs Ju Ju at the start of FA.  Does that signal Sam may remain the QB?  They played together in college and Ju Ju has made glowing comments about Sam when he was with the Steelers.  

Can't wait for next week!

Allen Robinson rumored to be getting the tag too.

Its going to be Juju, Curtis and guys like Dede Westbrook - going to have to dig a little deeper.

My personal low-key favorite is Josh Reynolds. He produced, but got limited looks with the Rams. He’s also not gonna cost a fortune.

Theres some other other role-players out there. Not all FA have to be our new studs. This team is so bad, you have to just find guys who belong in the nfl in some cases.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Icer said:

Not having a QB penciled in as the Day 1 starter, or having it be Darnold is definitely going to hurt WR recruitment unless they get substantially overpaid.

They want substantial overpayment regardless.

Theres about 3 QBs that guys would take a pay cut for. The rest are whatever.

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I understand and know Ju-Ju isn't well liked here but I think he's the WR JD signs. 

You might be right, but I hope not. I think we can get the same production from a lesser known name.

Josh Reynolds. I’m pounding the table!! 

I think Allen Robinson will be tagged and I don't know what to expect with Golladay. It's sounding like the 4 most likely outcomes for the Jets: sign JuJu Smith-Schuster, Curtis Samuel, Will Fuller or Kendrick Bourne and another veteran WR on the minimum. 

I've been told from people in the know that they "think" JuJu will be a Jet; same people told me they had a hard time with Curtis Samuel because "half the league" will be in on him. Fowler reported Jets would have interest in Fuller. Kendrick Bourne is not insider info, just my best guess... if the Jets strike out on big names, they can bring him in as a "starter" and draft a guy in round 1-2. 

4 minutes ago, Icer said:

Not having a QB penciled in as the Day 1 starter, or having it be Darnold is definitely going to hurt WR recruitment unless they get substantially overpaid.

You'd be surprised. Primary focus is often money and culture. QB makes a big difference, but look at Allen Robinson: he's had crap QBs his entire career yet he's practically begging for the Jets to sign him. Yes some of his that social media activity with the prospect of playing with Watson, but A-Rob knows that his ultimate destination (whether it be with the Bears or someone else) will not dictate the outcome of where Deshaun ends up playing either. 

The league has respect for Darnold, and if it's not Darnold then it will be some sort of high-profile acquisition. That, plus money and the positive reputation of Saleh/the culture he's looking to implement, will allow the Jets to sign whoever they want. I'm more confident in that today than I've ever been. The only issue I see is potentially missing out on free agents because they want to live elsewhere (i.e. Thuney potentially returning back home in Ohio or players placing higher value in no state income tax states like Florida) 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, football guy said:

You'd be surprised. Primary focus is often money and culture. QB makes a big difference, but look at Allen Robinson: he's had crap QBs his entire career yet he's practically begging for the Jets to sign him. Yes some of his that social media activity with the prospect of playing with Watson, but A-Rob knows that his ultimate destination (whether it be with the Bears or someone else) will not dictate the outcome of where Deshaun ends up playing either. 

The league has respect for Darnold, and if it's not Darnold then it will be some sort of high-profile acquisition. That, plus money and the positive reputation of Saleh/the culture he's looking to implement, will allow the Jets to sign whoever they want. I'm more confident in that today than I've ever been. The only issue I see is potentially missing out on free agents because they want to live elsewhere (i.e. Thuney potentially returning back home in Ohio or players placing higher value in no state income tax states like Florida) 

I hope the Saleh effect/culture is real, it would be a nice change of pace to have people want to play for the Jets. Arob being linked to the Jets is probably just a ploy to get the most $ possible as he seems like a mercenary-type (nothing wrong with that).

40 minutes ago, football guy said:

didnt Thuney almost sign with us last year? i remember that his wife followed the jets on instagram even...and he got tagged right after. at least thats what i rememeber.