7 Things Jets Might Do with Pick #23, and what each will tell us

IF.....

Jets stay at #23 and Draft a Running Back or Wide Receiver

THEN WE KNOW....

Jets are committed to building around their young QB, think we need to add a bigtime playmaker to be an effective offense, and probably feel good about the offensive line's ability to play better in year 2 as a group

IF.....

Jets stay at #23 and Draft an Offensive Lineman

THEN WE KNOW....

Jets are committed to building around their young QB and don't feel good about the offensive line's ability to play better in year 2 as a group - might also tell us that they feel good about the WR corps after signing Davis and Cole,  might even tell us that they will go for a 49ers style running back by committee vs a feature back

IF.....

Jets stay at #23 and Draft an Edge Rusher

THEN WE KNOW....

Saleh thinks the current CBs on the roster are at least decent, that a top notch pass rush could make our CBs better, AND we might know they plan to sign Richard Sherman

IF.....

Jets stay at #23 and Draft a Cornerback

THEN WE KNOW....

Saleh doesn't have a lot of faith in our CB group, might show that he likes the pass rushers currently on the roster, and might show that it will be unlikely we sign Sherman

IF.....

Jets stay at #23 and Draft any position other than RB, WR, OL, Edge, or CB

THEN WE KNOW....

Joe Douglass is totally and completely insane

IF.....

Jets trade #23 and move down

THEN WE KNOW....

Douglass and Saleh don't think the Jets are close to being a strong playoff contender this year and want to stockpile picks to build over the long haul

IF.....

Jets trade #23 and move up

THEN WE KNOW....

Douglass and Saleh think we might be close to being a strong playoff contender and one superstar at a key position might put us over the top

• Upvote 2

QB - We are picking at 2

RB - I doubt it with the historical philosophy of a Shanahan type offense.  I personally would not be terribly upset with one of the top backs.

TE - None worthy

Wr - None worthy, I don't see Waddle or Smith dropping that far

OL - Should be someone decent there unless we get very unlucky, my preference for the pick or trade down then take oline.

CB - A need and I would not be upset with a Cb as the pick, not super happy but not outraged.  (I do not care what style of D you play you still need at least decent corners who can play.)

S - A bit of a need and there might be a worthy player but simply not a priority position.

LB - Would be an awful pick, oh the player we get would be good but priority wise pure awful

Edge - Would be an awful pick, oh  the player we get would be good but awful priority considering what our line looks like right now and what we have already invested in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I know it will make most people puke, but I dont hate Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah at #23. LB is arguably the weakest position on the team, you guys want to talk about JAG's, this is the JAG group. He's the new-age Darius Leonard prototypical LB, great athlete, good in space/coverage.

Cashman will be on IR before you can blink, and Mosley is 2 years removed from playing meaningful football so don't give me those names as a response.

That said, I would take OL and Edge over JOK

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

IF.....
Jets stay at #23 and Draft a Wide Receiver [they're not taking a R1 RB for this O]
THEN WE KNOW....
Jets felt they had a WR1 fall to them

IF.....
Jets stay at #23 and Draft an Offensive Lineman
THEN WE KNOW....
Jets had one of their top-rated players who happens to be an OL fall to 23

IF.....
Jets stay at #23 and Draft an Edge Rusher
THEN WE KNOW....
Jets upset that none of their top rated WR or OL were still available, but couldn't believe their good fortune that one of their top rated EDGE was available at 23.

IF.....
Jets stay at #23 and Draft a Cornerback
THEN WE KNOW....
Greg Newsome was the BPA on their board and they're happy to have him

IF.....
Jets stay at #23 and Draft any position other than RB, WR, OL, Edge, or CB
THEN WE KNOW....
The BPA wasn't a RB WR EDGE or CB and they didn't want to reach at 23.

IF.....
Jets trade #23 and move down
THEN WE KNOW....
Jets had n players that they loved available, and got an offer to move down n-1 spots and added a pick or two.

IF.....
Jets trade #23 and move up
THEN WE KNOW....
[unlikely] A player that they had much higher on their board was surprisingly available at pick n, so they spent a pick and went and got him.

FTFY
  • Upvote 1

You can think yourself dizzy over this.  But right now #23 in this draft is a mystery spot for the NYJ. 

I'd be surprised if Jets take a RB at #23.  But if no value is their at OL and no Elite WR is there...and no trade down was possible...only had a choice between Top RBs and only a Caleb Farley or top edge players like Kwity Paye or Jaelan Phillips.  I'd take the elite edge guys over 2nd tier CBs.  You can get a good enough corner in rounds 3-5.  You can  probably get at least one if not both top RBs at #34, if you want them.  

IMO its either Rashawn Slater, AVT, or Teven Jenkins.  A trade down or an elite edge guy before I take a corner other then a Surtain or Horn.  And those elite corners won't be there.  No to Caleb Farley for me.

There's also the reality that a Micah Parsons or a Zaven Collins could be taken at #23.

If Jets are not going to trade up for for an OL player.  Then I just feel a trade down to around #28-32 could get Jets another 2nd and/or 3rd rounder.  Or else it's going to be defense.  edge-CB-LB.   And the available corners will be 2nd tier IMO. 

#23 is not a sweet spot for those that want Jets to make a value pick for OL.  Somebody has to fall or Jets may have to trade up.  And I don't see JD doing that.  JMO. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

You can think yourself dizzy over this.  But right now #23 in this draft is a mystery spot for the NYJ. 

I'd be surprised if Jets take a RB at #23.  But if no value is their at OL and no Elite WR is there...and no trade down was possible...only had a choice between Top RBs and only a Caleb Farley or top edge players like Kwity Paye or Jaelan Phillips.  I'd take the elite edge guys over 2nd tier CBs.  You can get a good enough corner in rounds 3-5.  You can  probably get at least one if not both top RBs at #34, if you want them.  

IMO its either Rashawn Slater, AVT, or Teven Jenkins.  A trade down or an elite edge guy before I take a corner other then a Surtain or Horn.  And those elite corners won't be there.  No to Caleb Farley for me.

There's also the reality that a Micah Parsons or a Zaven Collins could be taken at #23.

If Jets are not going to trade up for for an OL player.  Then I just feel a trade down to around #28-32 could get Jets another 2nd and/or 3rd rounder.  Or else it's going to be defense.  edge-CB-LB.   And the available corners will be 2nd tier IMO. 

#23 is not a sweet spot for those that want Jets to make a value pick for OL.  Somebody has to fall or Jets may have to trade up.  And I don't see JD doing that.  JMO. 

23 is no man’s land. If JD’s OL target is not there (AVT/Jenkins) then I believe he trades back. Most mocks have them gone by 21. JD can trade back and grab a 2nd tier OL guy and add a pick.  Surely there are tons of OL that would be on his big board. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

QB - We are picking at 2

RB - I doubt it with the historical philosophy of a Shanahan type offense.  I personally would not be terribly upset with one of the top backs.

TE - None worthy

Wr - None worthy, I don't see Waddle or Smith dropping that far

OL - Should be someone decent there unless we get very unlucky, my preference for the pick or trade down then take oline.

CB - A need and I would not be upset with a Cb as the pick, not super happy but not outraged.  (I do not care what style of D you play you still need at least decent corners who can play.)

S - A bit of a need and there might be a worthy player but simply not a priority position.

LB - Would be an awful pick, oh the player we get would be good but priority wise pure awful

Edge - Would be an awful pick, oh  the player we get would be good but awful priority considering what our line looks like right now and what we have already invested in it.

Not a bad handy guide for draft night ...I disagree with the bolded though, I think Elijah Mopre is absolutely worthy of the pick at 23, it would be even better if we could drop back a few spots (28 or so) and still get him, but I think his secret is out and he could go in the late teens...if that happens though then there’s a chance one of Waddle or more likely DeVonta Smith drops close to 23.

I also don’t agree that LB would be an awful pick if it was Zaven Collins or Micah Parsons!....it wouldn’t be my first priority but either of those guys would merit selection at that point and would be a great player at a position of need.

If Tucker or Slater somehow dropped to 23 then absolutely take them over the LB/edge/CB but everything we are hearing is that every other OL option is much of a muchness from 20 down to 40....Jenkins, Eichenburg, Green etc would all likely be a day 1 starter and available at 34

The value at the interior OL positions helps us a lot this year.

• Upvote 2

I don't see this team moving up from 23, I feel they will stay put and draft an OL, CB or edge but OL is their priority at 23 (AVT or Jenkins). What I do see happening is the Jets getting back in the 1st if Harris or Eteinne are there at 27 or 30. It would cost a 4th and a 5th/6th to move up to 27 from 34. That way the Jets would get the 5th year option on either RB which would be more valuable than a a project in the later rounds. Baltimore may want more like our SEA 3rd instead.

• Upvote 1