Post-Draft free agency, cuts and the holes that still need to be filled.

Heading into Round 4 the Jets haven’t drafted a defender yet.  They’re missing at least one starting OLB and don’t really have a slot/nickel CB.

I think the post-Draft free agency period for pro personnel (I’m not talking about rookie free agents) will be interesting.  Wouldn’t be shocked at all if both Richard Sherman and Brian Poole are Jets by the end of next week.  We could also see the Jets bring back a LB.

What other moves do you expect to see?

I’d peg a 70% chance that Alex Lewis is cut and a 45% chance Jamison Crowder is let go too, although I’d prefer the Jets try to negotiate a pay cut for him.

Sherman, Nelson, Poole....2 of those 3 guys should be here. 
Maybe KJ Wright at LB. 

They can cut Alex Lewis.

What to do with Crowder will be interesting.  Personally I am a fan of retaining good football players and with WRs there’s always an injury so we need the depth.  But he comes with a sizable cap hit and it could be used elsewhere or deferred to retain all these draft picks. 

Defense shouldn't matter during this years draft. 

Not if we're planning on starting Zach Wilson begining day 1 it shouldn't. 

I want this kid QB as a Rookie to be surrounded with a running game too; 

• Becton/Vera-Tucker on the left side, is a great start to building a rushing attack. 

• 4 dynamic WRs in Corey Davis (Tennessee), Denzel Mims, Elijah Moore and Jamison Crowder creates for a passing game threat in which will naturally open up the run game (good luck stacking 7-8 men in the box without getting torched down field).

√ All we need is a dynamic and playmaking RB to not only take pressure off of Zach but also open up our entire offense. 

Kenneth Gainwell

Kid had over 2,000 offensive all purpose yards in 2019. A dual threat. A pass catching weapon coming out of the backfield. 

I hated watching Frank Gore and Adam Gase last year. I miss #28 Curtis my favorite Martin deeply. 

Kenneth Gainwell behind Highway 77 (and a passing attack) could become so much fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Heading into Round 4 the Jets haven’t drafted a defender yet.  They’re missing at least one starting OLB and don’t really have a slot/nickel CB.

I think the post-Draft free agency period for pro personnel (I’m not talking about rookie free agents) will be interesting.  Wouldn’t be shocked at all if both Richard Sherman and Brian Poole are Jets by the end of next week.  We could also see the Jets bring back a LB.

What other moves do you expect to see?

I’d peg a 70% chance that Alex Lewis is cut and a 45% chance Jamison Crowder is let go too, although I’d prefer the Jets try to negotiate a pay cut for him.

The linebacker we are missing is a WILL.  There are several great candidates left.  Nasirildeen, Stevens and Cox would all do fine.  Nasirildeen and Stevens are also good strong safeties.  I think Nasirildeen represents the best value but the late round types and undrafted free agents can surprise.  College ranks churn out plenty of 220 lb linebackers with good tackling skills who can run. 

As for the salary cuts, I think there is little doubt that both Lewis and Crowder are on the cutting block.  While I would like to retain Crowder, the realist in me knows that it is hard to keep a backup who is a slot only player.  Lewis may survive depending on whether he takes a pay cut and whether he can beat out whomever we bring in tomorrow.  The rookie guards got cleaned out pretty thoroughly.  Only Trey Smith remains and he is a poor fit. 

I expect the Jets to pick safeties and linebackers. 

I believe we will sign Richard Sherman and a veteran QB after the draft.

there is a reason way Sherman and Poole haven't been signed by anyone. no team wanted to pay the money they wanted. but after the draft im sure teams will be bidding on them. JD cant be cheap. hes going to have to overpay to get one or both. he should have the money with the cuts to Lewis and Crowder. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

• Becton/Vera-Tucker on the left side, is a great start to building a rushing attack. 

• 4 dynamic WRs in Corey Davis (Tennessee), Denzel Mims, Elijah Moore and Jamison Crowder creates for a passing game threat in which will naturally open up the run game (good luck stacking 7-8 men in the box without getting torched down field).

√ All we need is a dynamic and playmaking RB to not only take pressure off of Zach but also open up our entire offense. 

Kenneth Gainwell

Kid had over 2,000 offensive all purpose yards in 2019. A dual threat. A pass catching weapon coming out of the backfield. 

I hated watching Frank Gore and Adam Gase last year. I miss #28 Curtis my favorite Martin deeply. 

Kenneth Gainwell behind Highway 77 (and a passing attack) could become so much fun to watch. 

Do you like Michael Carter?

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Kenneth Gainwell

I wouldnt hold my breath, I very much expect an emphasis on defense on day 3. Might be wrong but I dont see an RB taken in round 4 unless they really really like one of them

• Upvote 1

I don’t see JD and the Johnsons paying $15mm for two players who will not be on the roster next year.  

The question is whether you apply that money to more players who will not be on the roster next year. 

If the Jets want to be competitive this year, they may have to, although signing a CB for two years would not be a bad idea.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jeff Driskel getting cut from the broncos.  He could be the vet qb we are looking for.  Unlike foles, he has the mobility to be a good fit in this system and can step in and win a game or 2 if we need him.

I feel like we need something better than Driskel though.  A McCown/Foles type who can respectably start a game AND serve as a mentor to Wilson would be ideal.

Per Mike Klis of KUSA, the Broncos are releasing quarterback Jeff Driskel.

Driskel appeared in three games for Denver in 2020, starting one of them for an injured Drew Lock. He completed just 55 percent of his passes for 432 yards with three touchdowns and a pair of interceptions.

The Broncos were Driskel’s fourth team, having entered the league as a 49ers sixth-round pick in 2016. He spent 2016-2019 with the Bengals, starting five games in 2018. He also started three games with the Lions in 2019. In all, he’s completed 58.6 percent of his passes for 2,120 yards with 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

Denver has Lock, Teddy Bridgewater, and Brett Rypien as the remaining quarterbacks on the roster.

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I feel like we need something better than Driskel though.  A McCown/Foles type who can respectably start a game AND serve as a mentor to Wilson would be ideal.

Foles isnt a fit for this offense.  He is a statue back there at this point in his career.

Driskel is a much better fit and is a vet that Wilson can lean on.

We did pretty well after this thread was started. Really good perfect fit RB, and lots of exciting athletes for WILL, S, and CB. Not sure how much we will target more FA for the secondary. CB is not as important for this defense as it is for others and we did get some good zone type guys, We will make some moves but it might be more in the training camp timeframe than now. 

• Upvote 1