Resetting the New York Jets' roster, two years after The Big Shake-Up

3 hours ago, mfmartin said:

He has been away two years. That’s quite some time. You can’t just expect him to come back and be what he was previously.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Like I said, players get hurt and they come back like nothing happened. Happens all the time. CJ was healthy towards the end of the season and then got a 1 year break. He may be rusty but he won’t be just an average LB. wait n see. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I hate that kind of seesawing.  Just because you draft a rookie QB who fails doesn't mean you have to swing the other direction with a vet.  Go draft another QB and try again.  Like the Cardinals did in back to back years (Rosen then Murray).  

If you are fortunate enough to have a top 7 pick. I doubt we’ll be that bad in 3 years with the rest of the team being built through draft and FA

On 5/26/2021 at 7:22 AM, Bronx said:

I predict that 3/4 of them will probably be gone/traded by the end of the season (if we have a losing record). Q.Will will probably be the last man standing due to his rookie contract. I have a feeling that Maye will be tagged again next year, depending on his performance and health.  JD will ride, as he should, most of the rookie contracts. A safety doesn't merit the cap implications.

idk about that. QW will be in the same boat as sam was. we have to either sign him to a 5th year extension worth big money by may1 2022 or hes gone after 22. so that rookie contract is pretty much gone. unless we dont sign him and let him play out 2022 on his rookie deal and then he probably walks.

could be a good trade piece if JD wants to go that route. but thats if we trade him after this year and the new team can get him for 2 years.

20 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

I’m guessing you believe players never get injured in this league? 

Not like he’s some injury prone LB that can’t come back strong. He missed 3 games in 5 years in Baltimore. He’s going to be our best defender. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. 

but what about him missing 2 years? Lev Bell missed one and was never the same.

you could be right, but to say hes going to be our best defender after missing 2 years is a bold statement. it might not be that cut and dry

7 hours ago, doitny said:

but what about him missing 2 years? Lev Bell missed one and was never the same.

you could be right, but to say hes going to be our best defender after missing 2 years is a bold statement. it might not be that cut and dry

RBs and LBs are two different positions. Sure it won’t be that cut n dry but I’m basing my opinion on the other average players on the defense, save for one guy. CJ will be rusty and that’s all. 

Like I said, players get hurt and they come back like nothing happened. Happens all the time. CJ was healthy towards the end of the season and then got a 1 year break. He may be rusty but he won’t be just an average LB. wait n see. 

I think you are underestimating the length of his absence. I guess we will wait and see, I am not saying he will be a dud, but if we are being objective here... this has been an awful signing by the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

If you are fortunate enough to have a top 7 pick. I doubt we’ll be that bad in 3 years with the rest of the team being built through draft and FA

As has been argued ad nauseum here, if you want to draft a top QB prospect, there's always a path to getting one.  Douglas is always going to try to stockpile draft picks here.  Thus, even if you're picking in the middle/back end of the 1st, you can still find a way to move up to get the "right guy".

I do know one thing:  Going the vet QB option doesn't work unless you get extremely lucky, like the Broncos did with Peyton and the Bucs did with Brady.  Think QB's of that caliber are ever going to spring loose in free agency/trade for us?  More likely you'll end up in QB purgatory if you go that route with a dude like Kirk Cousins, who will never go on a deep playoff run in his life.

Besides, if Wilson isn't the goods, just how late do you think we'll be picking 2-3 years from now?

On 5/26/2021 at 9:05 AM, More Cowbell said:

Please describe this "Miracle ". All i have seen is him replace a bunch of players with a bunch of question marks except for Becton, maybe Davis and Lawson but we actually  don't  know how they will play in green even though i expect them not to suck. So far JD has a 2-14 record to show for his effort. 

That 2-14 season falls on Gase’s head. JD had little input last year and was hampered by a scrub QB, a lousy roster and the worst HC in eons. This year will be JD’s swan song. Look for marked improvements 7-10 and it will be an accomplished 7-10. Not that bull crap 7-9 gift wrapped Gase season. 

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As has been argued ad nauseum here, if you want to draft a top QB prospect, there's always a path to getting one.  Douglas is always going to try to stockpile draft picks here.  Thus, even if you're picking in the middle/back end of the 1st, you can still find a way to move up to get the "right guy".

I do know one thing:  Going the vet QB option doesn't work unless you get extremely lucky, like the Broncos did with Peyton and the Bucs did with Brady.  Think QB's of that caliber are ever going to spring loose in free agency/trade for us?  More likely you'll end up in QB purgatory if you go that route with a dude like Kirk Cousins, who will never go on a deep playoff run in his life.

Besides, if Wilson isn't the goods, just how late do you think we'll be picking 2-3 years from now?

The Rams can’t win it all with Stafford, that running game and that defense? 

TB defense won that game vs. KC. Stafford can be equally effective as Brady

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The Rams can’t win it all with Stafford, that running game and that defense? 

TB defense won that game vs. KC. Stafford can be equally effective as Brady

They certainly have a good shot, but they're not a top 3 or 4 contender in my mind.  KC, TB, Baltimore and possibly Buffalo are ahead of them on my list.

And again, the likelihood of finding a QB of that caliber on the market is slim.  They only acquired Stafford in the first place because the Lions were one of the few (only?) team(s) willing to take on Goff's contract.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They certainly have a good shot, but they're not a top 3 or 4 contender in my mind.  KC, TB, Baltimore and possibly Buffalo are ahead of them on my list.

And again, the likelihood of finding a QB of that caliber on the market is slim.  They only acquired Stafford in the first place because the Lions were one of the few (only?) team(s) willing to take on Goff's contract.  

Stafford is vastly superior to Goff 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Stafford is vastly superior to Goff 

Of course he is, I'd never disagree with that.  My point was that finding a quality veteran QB on the market is always a tough ask.  You can't count on it. 

Hence why I'm always in favor of drafting a cheap rookie QB over going after the expensive veteran QB unless you can get REALLY lucky (Brady, Peyton, Stafford), which we never will until we're deemed to be a destination for a QB and not a last resort.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep. There is a third way but it's long odds -- hit on a reclamation project like TENN did with Tannehill. But for every Tannehill there are dozens of Darnolds. Nevertheless, draft is best way but why not hedge and at least throw a dart at a Trubisky/Minshew type who has shown enough (less so than Tannehill but more than most) in their careers to date to say at least a reclamation is possible.

I do not endorse bringing in a career "steady-hand" JAG as a backup. Not for a team that isn't going anywhere this season. Go for upside. Unless Morgan/White is that guy. They are basically complete unknowns.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep. There is a third way but it's long odds -- hit on a reclamation project like TENN did with Tannehill. But for every Tannehill there are dozens of Darnolds. Nevertheless, draft is best way but why not hedge and at least throw a dart at a Trubisky/Minshew type who has shown enough (less so than Tannehill but more than most) in their careers to date to say at least a reclamation is possible.

I do not endorse bringing in a career "steady-hand" JAG+ as a backup. Not for a team that isn't going anywhere this season. Go for upside.

As long as you're pairing the vet/reclamation project with a drafted QB, I'm fine with it.  Don't avoid drafting QB(s) just because you have a vet you like.  Don't end up in QB purgatory, ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

As long as you're pairing the vet/reclamation project with a drafted QB, I'm fine with it.  Don't avoid drafting QB(s) just because you have a vet you like.  Don't end up in QB purgatory, ever.

Matthew Mcconaughey Chest Thump GIF by Paramount Movies

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

That 2-14 season falls on Gase’s head. JD had little input last year and was hampered by a scrub QB, a lousy roster and the worst HC in eons. This year will be JD’s swan song. Look for marked improvements 7-10 and it will be an accomplished 7-10. Not that bull crap 7-9 gift wrapped Gase season. 

Last season was JD as much as Gase. He put that team together and it finished with a worse season than the prior season.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not even reclamation...

Screenshot_20210528-165233.png

3 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Not even reclamation...

Screenshot_20210528-165233.png

I get it.  But 1) What would it take to acquire Rodgers?  And 2) Even if we didn't have Wilson, why the hell would he prefer to come here rather than the many other places he could go?  I'm sure he has a no-trade clause somewhere.  

The rare times a SB-caliber QB shakes loose on the open market or via trade, they never choose to come here.  Except for Favre and we all saw how that played out:  Great for 11 weeks, but terrible the final 5, and then he was gone.