Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

• YES
    • NO
    • Never gonna happen ; Saleh is too power hungry

On 6/19/2021 at 6:46 AM, FidelioJet said:

He doesn’t need a “mentor”

The whole mentor thing is one of the more stupid narratives that regularly gets thrown around.  
You don’t need to eat up cap space - hire a good QB coach!

Now, if want an experienced back up in case of injury, someone that can win a game or two if your QB goes down, so be it.  
but even that this year, it’s a rebuild year where W and L expectations are low. Let Morgan get reps if Zach gets hurt. 

But look at the great job McCown did with Darnold. Had it not been for him, Darnold would have been traded after his rookie year. ?‍♂️

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What if we start 6-3 and then Wilson sprains his knee and has to miss a month? 

Nick Foles isn't going in and securing the team a playoff spot.  I'm not sure what happened to him but he is not close to the guy that had that magic postseason. 

In that very unlikely 6-3 scenario, whether its someone like Foles or Morgan/White, you're going to end up taking your lumps and trying to make a run at 7-6 / 6-7.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Nick Foles isn't going in and securing the team a playoff spot.  In that very unlikely scenario, either way you're going to end up taking your lumps and trying to make a run at 7-6 / 6-7.

I’m not asking him to secure a playoff berth. I’m asking him to win one or two of the four games he starts.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I’m not asking him to secure a playoff berth. I’m asking him to win one or two of the four games he starts.

And I'm saying he wouldn't.  0-4 or 1-3 is your like end result, just as it probably would be with Morgan or White under center.  In other words, while Foles may well be a little better than either option, the gap is likely not huge at all.

The guy just had a season where he averaged 5.9 YPA.  The year before it was 6.3.  Record in that span:  2-9.  Morgan/White really can't be much worse than that.  And given that the coaches seem comfortable with both at the moment, they might even be a bit better.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I'm saying he wouldn't.  0-4 or 1-3 is your like end result, just as it probably would be with Morgan or White under center.  In other words, while Foles may well be a little better than either option, the gap is likely not huge at all.

The guy just had a season where he averaged 5.9 YPA.  

I mean he also won a road playoff game less than two and a half years ago and a Super Bowl MVP less than a year before that, but if you want to say Foles is washed up, fine. It is patently insane to argue that because none of the veteran options are appealing, they‘re no better than Morgan and White, and it’s reckless to the point of malpractice to hand the franchise to an undersized rookie with an established injury history without anything to backstop him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I mean he also won a road playoff game less than two and a half years ago and a Super Bowl MVP less than a year before that, but if you want to say Foles is washed up, fine. It is patently insane to argue that because none of the veteran options are appealing, they‘re no better than Morgan and White, and it’s reckless to the point of malpractice to hand the franchise to an undersized rookie with an established injury history without anything to backstop him.

One way or the other, this will be addressed.  Either the coaching staff and front office will not be happy with the camp performances of Morgan/White and will bring in a veteran at that time, or they will continue to feel good about it and no new QB will be added.  I sincerely doubt they enter the season with the QB2 spot as a giant question mark.  

Just as its a bad move to enter the season without a viable QB2, I also think its a bad move to sign a QB now, when all 3 young QB's need as many reps in camp as possible.  Any vet worth his salt can be signed in late July/early August and be fine to end up the QB2.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

One way or the other, this will be addressed.  Either the coaching staff and front office will not be happy with the camp performances of Morgan/White and will bring in a veteran at that time, or they will continue to feel good about it and no new QB will be added.  I sincerely doubt they enter the season with the QB2 spot as a giant question mark.  

Just as its a bad move to enter the season without a viable QB2, I also think its a bad move to sign a QB now, when all 3 young QB's need as many reps in camp as possible.  Any vet worth his salt can be signed in late July/early August and be fine to end up the QB2.

I certainly hope so

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, Jethead said:

Our beat writers have no idea what they are looking at. They are paid to stir the pot.

Let Saleh and his braintrust figure it out and back their play 100%.

I was going to ask if a story stating there is no problem with having young back ups would have generated many clicks...

On 6/18/2021 at 6:45 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

The Hoyer signing is strange because they already have 3 qbs there.  If they somehow release Stidham, the jets should pounce on him.  Stidham can move and would be a great fit for this system.

What is it about Stidham that you feel makes him better than our guys?   He was drafted in the mid rounds like our back ups, and when given a chance on a better team, has been unimpressive.  He does have a few more regular season reps than our guys, but not by much.   If he is cut by the Pats, a team that needs a QB worse than we do, it’s telling because it won’t be to save money.    

No. I have seen it over and over and over ... older timid or conservative QBs ruin rookies.

Period.

Ruin. Finis.

Sure if the guy is sitting watching Tom Brady or Joe Montana from the bench that's different. The rook can pull what he wants to add to his game.

But adding a Josh McCown to 'mentor' a kid that hopefully has a lot more talent is just suffocating the kid in bubble wrap.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

In older times when players had less resources available to them, it was a good idea to have a vet around to give pointers as to how to practice, what to expect on gameday, and how to handle certain situations on and off the field. But it's a different world today. Zach will have whatever resources he needs at his disposal through the team or his agent. For example, if the Jets invited Steve Young to camp to spend some time with Wilson, it would happen. No need to take up a roster spot to provide the kid with some mentoring.  

• Upvote 2