Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Jets sign an experienced QB to mentor their young QB's ?

• YES
    • NO
    • Never gonna happen ; Saleh is too power hungry

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think we should sign a veteran backup QB.

Not because I care about him "mentoring" Wilson as much as because the #2 and #3 options on this team are rough and if Wilson misses time I don't want to hamper the development of the rest of our young players or hurt our cultural momentum by trotting out some dogsh*t QB who can't play.

I'm not interested in tanking in 2021. I want to be competitive and win as many games as we can.

And how do you know this, exactly?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yes  . . . Once. 

I am aiming a bit higher. 

Again, the goal isn't one or two nice playoff runs with a veteran-laden, short window team. We want to turn into a perennially good team that has a legitimate chance to complete every year for a decade. 

In order to do that, we need to develop a decent young QB. 

What I am saying is if we could bring a QB in that we know would take this team that far and possibly to a SB after, you would rather watch another season of suck? Zack would still be on the team. We would not dump him. If he is the future, he is still here So is everyone else.

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

What I am saying is if we could bring a QB in that we know would take this team that far and possibly to a SB after, you would rather watch another season of suck? Zack would still be on the team. We would not dump him. If he is the future, he is still here So is everyone else.

The Jets just drafted a QB with the #2 pick in the draft and brought in an entirely new coaching staff with a new offensive and defensive system and a new culture.  How about we aim to build a team that is a perennial contender with a franchise QB that leads the team for 15 years and we get away from the stop gap QBs that failed in the past - e.g. Favre, Fitztragic or delivered very short term success like Testaverde.  I'm aiming higher than you are.  

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how do you know this, exactly?

I don't know it for a fact. But

1) The fact that despite being absolutely dreadful at the position last year Morgan wasn't even active as a 4th round pick is fairly alarming and

2) The same beat writers who are praising Wilson are flat out stating that our backup QB situation is a disaster. Morgan and White looking terrible in shorts isn't encouraging -- you can't tell if a player is great in minicamp but you can usually tell if a guy flat out sucks. All indications at this point seem to be that Morgan and White suck.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

1) The fact that despite being absolutely dreadful at the position last year Morgan wasn't even active as a 4th round pick is fairly alarming and

2) The same beat writers who are praising Wilson are flat out stating that our backup QB situation is a disaster. Morgan and White looking terrible in shorts isn't encouraging -- you can't tell if a player is great in minicamp but you can usually tell if a guy flat out sucks. All indications at this point seem to be that Morgan and White suck.

Morgan was labeled as a project QB when he was drafted, and didn't have a true offseason.  Mini-camp tweets this week indicated that Morgan has made a few nice throws so far and both Saleh and Douglas appear to be comfortable with the QB's on the roster.

A lot can change in 1 year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Morgan was labeled as a project QB when he was drafted, and didn't have a true offseason.  Mini-camp tweets this week indicated that Morgan has made a few nice throws so far and both Saleh and Douglas appear to be comfortable with the QB's on the roster.

A lot can change in 1 year.

I can't pretend I've watched much Morgan tape but all scouting reports indicate he is a terrible fit for this offense -- immobile, rocket armed guy who has no touch. My take is that he was a Gase pick and isn't long for this team.

I'm too lazy to find the tweets but the general consensus from Costello, Hughes, DJ Bien-Aime, etc. is that the backup QBs have been awful and the likely #2 probably isn't on the roster.

We'll see how it plays out -- Saleh and Douglas not moving on someone like Nick Mullens was interesting and showed some level of faith but I still think there's a strong chance we enter training camp with someone like Nick Foles under contract. I'd prefer that personally.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I can't pretend I've watched much Morgan tape but all scouting reports indicate he is a terrible fit for this offense -- immobile, rocket armed guy who has no touch. My take is that he was a Gase pick and isn't long for this team.

I'm too lazy to find the tweets but the general consensus from Costello, Hughes, DJ Bien-Aime, etc. is that the backup QBs have been awful and the likely #2 probably isn't on the roster.

We'll see how it plays out -- Saleh and Douglas not moving on someone like Nick Mullens was interesting and showed some level of faith but I still think there's a strong chance we enter training camp with someone like Nick Foles under contract. I'd prefer that personally.

Douglas would have to give up a pick to get Foles.  Not ideal for a guy who has mostly been awful the last 2 seasons.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What do you think ?

I voted "No".

I'm content, given this year's extreme youth movement, to go into this season with Wilson/Morgan/Some-other-Kid at QB, and let the chips fall where they may.

Things go well, it's a non issue, Wilson gets good coaching from coaches, plays all 17 games, and we develop our young backups.

Things go back, so what, we weren't winning a title this year regardless, and we get to see if Morgan (I hope) is worth keeping long term as a #2 for us.

I don't see the loss of this route.  I reject out of hand the "but but but X Y and Z can't be evaluated if QB sucks".  B.S., sure they can.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If that were the case, I'd have expected him to have been reeased/moved a while ago, and another #2 QB brought in in his stead early on (or drafted).

Since neither happened, I find it hard to believe he was a "Gase guy", and not a "JD Guy".

Skillset criticism could be legit, guess we'll have to wait and see come preseason.  I know I'm looking forward to seeing him take live snaps against real defenses (after Wilson, of course).

40 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, I think we would all sign for a SuperBowl run. 

This isn't really groundbreaking stuff here. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

You don't sign an experienced vet to be a mentor.  You do sign an experienced vet if you don't think your current back-ups are capable of running a competent offense.  As long as either White or Morgan looked competent, there is no reason to bring in a vet. 

If they both appear to be at a Luke Falk level, then I would prefer we bring someone in who can at least run an offense and help other young guys develop.

Not sure who would be left as a potential FA, but the one thing I would not want to do is trade an asset for a MInshew or Foles.  We already used a 4 last year on a potential backup.  Hopefully he (or White) has shown enough to win the job.

Yes. I hope we roll with 2 QB's and a 3rd on the PS. Use the extra spot for one of the kiddos on defense. Only go shopping if Morgan/White fail to win backup job during TC.

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Our beat writers have no idea what they are looking at. They are paid to stir the pot.

Let Saleh and his braintrust figure it out and back their play 100%.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

I voted "No".

I'm content, given this year's extreme youth movement, to go into this season with Wilson/Morgan/Some-other-Kid at QB, and let the chips fall where they may.

Things go well, it's a non issue, Wilson gets good coaching from coaches, plays all 17 games, and we develop our young backups.

Things go back, so what, we weren't winning a title this year regardless, and we get to see if Morgan (I hope) is worth keeping long term as a #2 for us.

I don't see the loss of this route.  I reject out of hand the "but but but X Y and Z can't be evaluated if QB sucks".  B.S., sure they can.  

I agree no back up that will amount to anything but a roster spot and 5-7 mil in salary. However I do think the Jets will do much better than most think if they pick up the scheme quickly. Well coached young talented players can go a long way and thats what Im hoping for. If Wilson, Carter and Moore turn out to be the players we all think they could be we can get goods real quick the D has more experience in the front 7 and I expect them to be easily in the top 15 or better maybe top 10

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Your not seriously comparing the run VT made to the 2 Sanchez made? Vinny put together one of the best season by a Jets QB ever. 29 TD to 7 picks and over 3k yards. Sanchez threw 12 TDs his rookie season and almost broke Peytons int. Record

No just what the team did not the QB. Tuna's team won the year before in 1997(9-7) they were ready to roll, the 2021 team is young and learning if we had Montana in his prime do you think he would take this team to the AFCCG??

29 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

No just what the team did not the QB. Tuna's team won the year before in 1997(9-7) they were ready to roll, the 2021 team is young and learning if we had Montana in his prime do you think he would take this team to the AFCCG??

I do think that would be possible. Montana did have great talent around but he also made everyone on the team better. The thing is we really don't  know what to expect out of the O. On D I expect the DL to be dominant,  the LB to be OK and the secondary  to pretty much suck so due to that maybe we don't  make it to the playoffs but Montana in his prime keeps the O in every game.

17 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Savage. As presently constructed no but if they do sign Moses I become even more optimistic in this team’s chances of being in the playoffs.( maybe not AFCCG but getting in the playoffs and making some noise while in the tournament)   So I can see both sides of the issue one is of letting the young QBS get all the reps but also in case of injury to Zach need someone competent to lead the offense. Haven’t been this optimistic about the Jets in many years truly hoping this will be the case 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas would have to give up a pick to get Foles.  Not ideal for a guy who has mostly been awful the last 2 seasons.

If JD is actually willing to trade for a backup Minshew is an infinitely better investment than Foles.

• Upvote 2

On 6/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, Obrien2Toon said:

Yeah, Brunell, Mccown, Fitz did wonders for our other young QBs

A mentor can only maximize the skillset of the QB he is mentoring. Nobody is elevating Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith and Sam Darnold. If Zach is the real deal, a veteran presence couldn't hurt, but it can help, even to a small degree. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

if they sign a vet qb it's because morgan and/or white or somebody else aren't good enough to step for a game or two.  and that's what this back up is for.  the mentoring, imo, is fools gold.  they have a qb coach and others to do that.

They are going to let Morgan/White get a ton of reps in training camp.  And by late August, if Coach deems that neither can adequately run the team if Wilson goes down, they will bring in Matt Barkley.

There is 0 reason to bring in a vet qb until late August/early Sept.

• Upvote 2

This new Jet regime is smart in that it pays coaches to mentor young QBs (LeFleur, Knapp, Calabrese), doing a better job for less money, rather than Mac paying mentoring backups $10mm.  That was ridiculous.  

If you believe that this can be a playoff team, you bring in a backup who can win games when Wilson goes down, which is virtually guaranteed.   If you believe that this is the last rebuilding year (like I do), save the money, roll with the guys we have, when Wilson goes down either they play well and we win, or they don't and we lose, and we move up the draft board.  

The problem with the last view is that if Wilson goes down for an extended period of time, no one really develops.  But signing Foles for real money so he can win a few games and we still miss the playoff does not seem worth it.  But my guess is that is what happens in August. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They are going to let Morgan/White get a ton of reps in training camp.  And by late August, if Coach deems that neither can adequately run the team if Wilson goes down, they will bring in Matt Barkley.

There is 0 reason to bring in a vet qb until late August/early Sept.

yep.  i agree with this.  maybe hoyer will be the guy.  i heard he's good at running the opposing teams in practice even if he's not exactly the guy you want to play for more than a single game.  it also depends on how this team starts to shake out.  sounds like they may actually be a very good running team.  if so then they need a back up that can hand off the ball and not throw that much.

26 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  i agree with this.  maybe hoyer will be the guy.  i heard he's good at running the opposing teams in practice even if he's not exactly the guy you want to play for more than a single game.  it also depends on how this team starts to shake out.  sounds like they may actually be a very good running team.  if so then they need a back up that can hand off the ball and not throw that much.

Wont be Brian Hoyer. 

Patriots sign quarterback Brian Hoyer to a one-year deal; add veteran to crowded QB room

Hoyer joins a crowded quarterback room in Foxborough

May 17, 2021 
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Wont be Brian Hoyer. 

Patriots sign quarterback Brian Hoyer to a one-year deal; add veteran to crowded QB room

Hoyer joins a crowded quarterback room in Foxborough

May 17, 2021 

The Hoyer signing is strange because they already have 3 qbs there.  If they somehow release Stidham, the jets should pounce on him.  Stidham can move and would be a great fit for this system.

• Sympathy 1