***OFFICIAL JETS VS TEXANS GAME THREAD****

T0mShane

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Most games come down to 2-3 plays.  If you really think there's a materially significant difference between 3-8 and 0-10-1, then you believe far too much in that Parcells "you are what your record says" quote.

We've been outscored by 128 points on the season.  The Lions have been outscored by 115.  Thus, we've been more inept than the Lions overall.  Unless there's a massive difference in schedule strength between the 2 teams, the Lions are better.

So, there’s not a material difference between 3 wins vs no wins but there is a material difference between -115 and -128? I don’t buy this argument.

Give me the 3 wins over the 13 points. 

and yes, most games come down to 2-3 plays, and what’s so amazing about the Lions is that they always find a way to NOT makes those plays 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

So, there’s not a material difference between 3 wins vs no wins but there is a material difference between -115 and -128? I don’t buy this argument.

and yes, most games come down to 2-3 plays, and what’s so amazing about the Lions is that they always find a way to NOT makes those plays 

If the Titans had made their 49 yard kick and the Ravens missed their 60 yard kick (which shouldn’t have counted anyway) the Jets and Lions would have entered this week with an identical record.

Tell me what that has to do with the better execution of the Jets.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Point differential is the more useful number than W-L record, is the point here.  The Lions have been the more competitive team overall.  Losing a lot of close games can easily come down to luck, and the luck can tend to correct itself over the course of a season or even from one season to the next (like when the 2013 Jets, who went 8-8 despite being outscored by 97 points on the season, went on to go 4-12 in 2014 with a similar roster and coaches). 

Blowout losses (or wins), obviously, do not come down to luck.  We've had 5 losses decided by 2+ touchdowns.  The Lions have only had 3 such games.  That's meaningful. 

It's also meaningful to note that each of Detroit's last 3 games have been decided by 3 points or less, including one tie.  They're moving in the right direction.  We are not, and beating the worst team in the NFL today by one score did not move in the needle.

Point differential is the more useful number than W-L record, is the point here.  The Lions have been the more competitive team overall.  Losing a lot of close games can easily come down to luck, and the luck can tend to correct itself over the course of a season or even from one season to the next. 

Blowout losses (or wins), obviously, do not come down to luck.  We've had 5 losses decided by double digits.  The Lions have only had 3 such games.  That's meaningful.  

I would agree if the point differential were more lopsided. 

The difference in point differential in this case is less than one blowout loss. In this case, give me the extra 3 wins. 

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

If the Titans had made their 49 yard kick and the Ravens missed their 60 yard kick (which shouldn’t have counted anyway) the Jets and Lions would have entered this week with an identical record.

Tell me what that has to do with the better execution of the Jets.

Entered the week yes. 

And the Jets would have a better record now, would they not?

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would agree if the point differential were more lopsided. 

The difference in point differential in this case is less than one blowout loss. In this case, give me the extra 3 wins. 

So you really would rather be the team with 5 losses by 14+ points rather than the team with only 3 such losses?

OK then.  

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea, I think that’s sort of an arbitrary distinction. 

I think 3 extra wins trumps two fewer blowout losses 

But its not arbitrary, like at all.  It demonstrates the Lions have been the more competitive team.  Of their 11 games, 8 have been competitive.  Of our 11, only 6 have been competitive.  

When you're talking about 2 bad teams, that's more relevant than saying "BUT DID THEY WIN????"  The Jets and Lions are still both really bad teams who aren't headed to the playoffs and W-L record doesn't matter a whole lot.  Coaches care a lot more with HOW the team is playing than W-L record, and so should we.  

But its not arbitrary, like at all.  It demonstrates the Lions have been the more competitive team.  Of their 11 games, 8 have been competitive.  Of our 11, only 6 have been competitive.  

When you're talking about 2 bad teams, that's more relevant than saying "BUT DID THEY WIN????"  They're still bad teams who aren't headed to the playoffs and W-L record doesn't matter a whole lot.  Coaches care a lot more with HOW the team is playing than the final score, and so should we.  

Yea, not sure what to tell you, I disagree. Give me the wins over the 20 point difference (three scores?) in point differential. 

They were competitive in two more games than we were . . . that they lost. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good lord, unless he shows he's definitively the guy very soon, we'd better not give him 40 more games.  We gave Darnold the QB1 job for too long and he hasn't proven us wrong for trading him. 

If he still sucks halfway thru the 2022 season, that's about the latest I pull the plug.  1.5 seasons is plenty of time to see whether you have a QB good enough to build around.  

If Josh Rosen can get cut loose after 13 starts and not have it come back to bite Arizona, about 20 starts is plenty for Wilson to show who he is....or who he ISN'T.

The Jets are a really bad team.  Zachs chance of a good career goes up if they decide to move on. 

12 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The Jets are a really bad team.  Zachs chance of a good career goes up if they decide to move on. 

There seems to be a “Darnold sucked OR the Jets sucked” undercurrent at times.  

I’ve seen enough to make up my mind.   They both sucked.  

This is a good looking draft.   I think Zach will be fine too.   The organization needs to grow.  It will be fine, but a rookie QB doesn’t carry the weight the board wants him too - although I understand why.  

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just like it did for Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold, eh?

The Jets offense was humming just fine before your boy slid back under center.  Go away.  

Totally.  The stink of the Jets starts to linger the longer they stay.  

ESPN college football chuckled talking about the prowess of the Jets in developing QB talent.   It’s all on the Parade of 35 busts though:   Poor Jets!  Really bad luck :(

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just like it did for Mark Sanchez and Sam Darnold, eh?

The Jets offense was humming just fine before your boy slid back under center.  Go away.  

He got ruffled because I mentioned Moore had a 50% catch percentage today

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Totally.  The stink of the Jets starts to linger the longer they stay.  

ESPN college football chuckled talking about the prowess of the Jets in developing QB talent.   It’s all on the Parade of 35 busts though:   Poor Jets!  Really bad luck :(

You don’t even understand the point I was making.  

Go rub one out in a BYU headband.