2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

34 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

oh i've been rooting for them every year since 1983 or 1984. that won't change

I've been a devoted fan since age 5 growing up 15 minutes from Shea. '69 sealed the deal! Jets, Mets, Knicks 

I take no pleasure in criticizing the team as others do. There is a way to point out areas where the team needs to make changes without sounding like a troll. You have not mastered that yet.

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sandy stepping aside after this season to take on advisor role. Probably best. We need some young blood. Hopefully this time they won’t choose a stalker or alcoholic. ?

I think David Stearns is available to be our GM (without us giving up compensation) after this year.

23 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think David Stearns is available to be our GM (without us giving up compensation) after this year.

20 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Sandy was a steadying force for this organization 

Eppler has been lauded for his offseason work, including signing Max Scherzer, Starling Marte, Mark Canha and Eduardo Escobar. It is unclear whether the Mets intend to hire a president of baseball operations above Eppler, and it is unclear whether Alderson’s more business-focused position will be filled or folded into one team president position.

The big-name candidates the Mets eyed last winter – including Theo Epstein, who built World Series winners with the Red Sox and Cubs, and Brewers president David Stearns – likely would not be natural fits for the business role Alderson is leaving.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Eppler has been lauded for his offseason work, including signing Max Scherzer, Starling Marte, Mark Canha and Eduardo Escobar. It is unclear whether the Mets intend to hire a president of baseball operations above Eppler, and it is unclear whether Alderson’s more business-focused position will be filled or folded into one team president position.

The big-name candidates the Mets eyed last winter – including Theo Epstein, who built World Series winners with the Red Sox and Cubs, and Brewers president David Stearns – likely would not be natural fits for the business role Alderson is leaving.

Eppler did a very good job but I still get the feeling he was only ever going to be a stopgap GM until Stearns was available (or if a guy like Theo wanted to take over).  Maybe things have changed though.  We'll see.

I like Sandy so I'm glad he's still planning on sticking around as an advisor.

On 9/16/2022 at 8:36 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Stearns is not available this year, unless the Brewers win the World Series.

The position that the Mets are looking to replace Sandy with is President of the organization. Early word is that Cohen is interviewing candidates in the Financial community. 

This IS NOT as much to do with Baseball (on-field) operations. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Stearns is not available this year, unless the Brewers win the World Series.

The position that the Mets are looking to replace Sandy with is President of the organization. Early word is that Cohen is interviewing candidates in the Financial community. 

This IS NOT as much to do with Baseball (on-field) operations. 

Not to mention if you've got an owner with bottomless pockets this position takes on way less importance. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not to mention if you've got an owner with bottomless pockets this position takes on way less importance. 

Yes, but being the capitalist that Cohen is, I am sure that he is going to look to improve and better market the "brand" that is the NY Mets. Help drive money into the company.

The simultaneous focus will be to then improve the hierarch at the baseball operations level. This is where a Stearns type figurehead would reside. 

I wish the Jets could learn this type of hierarchy.

• Upvote 1

On 9/17/2022 at 9:22 PM, Rangers9 said:

The thing about signing Scherzer for 40 mil plus per. It’s a 3 year deal. So not long term. But he’s an older player and he’s been injured a lot. The one-two concept with deGrom does it work if the team doesn’t win a WS?

9 hours ago, JiFapono said:

hahaha, I thought they had the night off, thanks! 

Mets just clinched a PLAYOFF spot tonight. No worse than last WC team!

Congrats NY Mets! Now go get that division crown!

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mets just clinched a PLAYOFF spot tonight. No worse than last WC team!

Congrats NY Mets! Now go get that division crown!

Excited to be in the contest for sure, even though my confidence wavers daily w/ this team.  lol

That said, the way Scherzer pitched last night and my confidence in deGrom getting back to form, you never know.  Arguably the 2 best pitchers in the game and best closer in the game?  Anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

The playoffs are so long that they're almost a crapshoot already.  Baseball is destroying itself with this sh-t.  The Dodgers and Giants won like 107 and 106 games last year but neither made the World Series.  It's turning into a joke at this point.  What's the point of the insanely long regular season if there's just going to be a long post-season that you have to navigate through?  You can't have a 162 game regular season and then try to replicate the NHL and NBA playoffs.  It doesn't make sense.

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The playoffs are so long that they're almost a crapshoot already.  Baseball is destroying itself with this sh-t.  The Dodgers and Giants won like 107 and 106 games last year but neither made the World Series.  It's turning into a joke at this point.  What's the point of the insanely long regular season if there's just going to be a long post-season that you have to navigate through?  You can't have a 162 game regular season and then try to replicate the NHL and NBA playoffs.  It doesn't make sense.

Two changes to make regular season really mean something .1) in a best of 5 series v division winner, WC gets only 1 home game. In best of 7 , WC gets only 2 home games. 2) only time a Division winner can play a WC from its own division is LCS. 

23 hours ago, section314 said:

Two changes to make regular season really mean something .1) in a best of 5 series v division winner, WC gets only 1 home game. In best of 7 , WC gets only 2 home games. 2) only time a Division winner can play a WC from its own division is LCS. 

No More Tie-Breakers Games in Baseball this season.

There are many close races this season, so there's a chance that the tiebreakers could come into play. That being said, there is little to no chance of needing to use more than the first tiebreaker in any scenario this year. Either way, let's take a look at how the new procedures impact some of the more exciting playoff and divisional races.

National League East: The New York Mets lead the season series over the Atlanta Braves 9-7. If the Braves sweep the final three games against New York, they'll win the tiebreaker; otherwise, the Mets will come out on top. The winner will be the likely No. 2 seed and will get a bye. The loser will host a first-round playoff series.

NL Wild Card: As stated above, the Brewers lose a tiebreaker to both the Padres and the Phillies, while Philadelphia wins one over San Diego.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

image.thumb.png.b04aa1a02b1037d97acca392611d47d7.png

What a difference a year makes. I was worried that we got a player on the down side of his career. Need 5-6 more years of this type of production to make that contract worthwhile. What will Judge & Alonso's look like? I like how the Braves lock them up early into their late 20's

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

What a difference a year makes. I was worried that we got a player on the down side of his career. Need 5-6 more years of this type of production to make that contract worthwhile. What will Judge & Alonso's look like? I like how the Braves lock them up early into their late 20's

Pete is beyond the hometown discount lockup unfortunately. I know it was a small sample size, but I think the first one that they will try to lock up Braves style will be Batty.absolutely love his swing. He looks very much like the real deal.

10 hours ago, section314 said:

Pete is beyond the hometown discount lockup unfortunately. I know it was a small sample size, but I think the first one that they will try to lock up Braves style will be Batty.absolutely love his swing. He looks very much like the real deal.

Well hopefully he’ll win the job outright next year. Alvarez too. Both will need to reduce their strikeouts and play stellar defense. The Braves young core are all 4-5 tool players. 

The Braves recently signed rising star and potential NL Rookie of the Year winner Michael Harris II to an 8-year contract extension worth $72 million with two option years. This brings his team control through at least 2030, which is the same as Austin Riley (who signed a couple of weeks ago) and Matt Olson. Since 2019, the Braves have signed Austin Riley, Michael Harris II, Matt Olsen, Ronald Acuña Jr., and Ozzie Albies to team-friendly long-term contracts.

That’s an enviable core of players for any franchise as each of those guys is in their early to mid-20s. Acuna is 24, Harris is 21, Riley is 25, Olson is 28, and Albies is 25. Each of those guys is in their prime for at least the next half-decade. Name another team that can reliably predict at least five batters to contend for All-Star nominations and awards on cheap salaries for the next half-decade.

Add to this group a young Grissom, Strider, Freid and Contreras and you have a Dodgers like team in our division for years  

We need to develop players better and draft better  Cohen will be spending a LOT of $ to stay competitive  

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Well hopefully he’ll win the job outright next year. Alvarez too. Both will need to reduce their strikeouts and play stellar defense. The Braves young core are all 4-5 tool players. 

The Braves recently signed rising star and potential NL Rookie of the Year winner Michael Harris II to an 8-year contract extension worth $72 million with two option years. This brings his team control through at least 2030, which is the same as Austin Riley (who signed a couple of weeks ago) and Matt Olson. Since 2019, the Braves have signed Austin Riley, Michael Harris II, Matt Olsen, Ronald Acuña Jr., and Ozzie Albies to team-friendly long-term contracts.

That’s an enviable core of players for any franchise as each of those guys is in their early to mid-20s. Acuna is 24, Harris is 21, Riley is 25, Olson is 28, and Albies is 25. Each of those guys is in their prime for at least the next half-decade. Name another team that can reliably predict at least five batters to contend for All-Star nominations and awards on cheap salaries for the next half-decade.

Add to this group a young Grissom, Strider, Freid and Contreras and you have a Dodgers like team in our division for years  

We need to develop players better and draft better  Cohen will be spending a LOT of $ to stay competitive  

Take the Braves kids over Dodgers every day of the week. The huge advantage they have prospect wise over us is pitching. Other than Allen,  we don’t seem to have anybody close to major league ready.

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

Take the Braves kids over Dodgers every day of the week. The huge advantage they have prospect wise over us is pitching. Other than Allen,  we don’t seem to have anybody close to major league ready.

Allen is not close.  He has not pitched in over 2 years. His prospect status is a little suspect. Tidwell and Ziegler are the most interesting, but several years away.

Mets are going to have subsist with Megill and Peterson doing some heavy lifting over the next couple of years. 

That said, I have not looked at the FA market for pitchers for next year, so they may take a mid level flier on someone. They really will not be in the FA market for any big hitters, that I can imagine, depending on Nimmo.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Allen is not close.  He has not pitched in over 2 years. His prospect status is a little suspect. Tidwell and Ziegler are the most interesting, but several years away.

Mets are going to have subsist with Megill and Peterson doing some heavy lifting over the next couple of years. 

That said, I have not looked at the FA market for pitchers for next year, so they may take a mid level flier on someone. They really will not be in the FA market for any big hitters, that I can imagine, depending on Nimmo.

Pitching can always be bought when you've got an owner like Cohen. Lineups are harder to build. Mets have been smart to refocus the farm system on a continuous string of offense. They did it the other way around in the 2010s and it was amazing for one year, then collapsed miserably. We're in an era where it's weird if you don't have Tommy John at this point, so better to let other teams deal with that and then buy the guy after. 

• Upvote 1