2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

Receiving 1st round picks for the declined QO from Nimmo, Basset and deGrom while still hitting FA hard to keep in WS contention is a must If we are looking to rebuild the farm system, 4 1st rd picks would help. Spending Steve's $ doesn't concern me as much as rebuilding a thin farm system. to keep competitive.

I'd like to keep all 3, but in the grand scheme, it may be more prudent taking the picks and going to $350 mil

We love you $teve!

9 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Receiving 1st round picks for the declined QO from Nimmo, Basset and deGrom while still hitting FA hard to keep in WS contention is a must If we are looking to rebuild the farm system, 4 1st rd picks would help. Spending Steve's $ doesn't concern me as much as rebuilding a thin farm system. to keep competitive.

I'd like to keep all 3, but in the grand scheme, it may be more prudent taking the picks and going to $350 mil

We love you $teve!

Nope. Because the Mets went over the luxury tax this season, any players that sign elsewhere and were tagged with the qualifying offer, the team would receive draft picks after the 4th round as compensation. 

• More Ugh 1

47 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Nope. Because the Mets went over the luxury tax this season, any players that sign elsewhere and were tagged with the qualifying offer, the team would receive draft picks after the 4th round as compensation. 

Thanks for the info. Is that a new rule… part of the Cohen rule changes? That sucks!

Then I’d probably try and bring back Nimmo and deGrom at Sherzer money for 3 years. No more than 3 however. If he wants 4+ then bye

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Now go get Senga, Nimmo, another bat, and a few more arms for the pen.

I find Senga to be very intriguing! Not a lot of innings on that arm and has 3 out pitches. Nimmo's OBP and plate discipline will be hard to replace. It would also keep Marte's arm in RF.

As far as a Bat.... who are you looking at Benitendi? If we lost Nimmo he could move to RF & Marte to center. Would have to move McNeil to leadoff hitter I think.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I find Senga to be very intriguing! Not a lot of innings on that arm and has 3 out pitches. Nimmo's OBP and plate discipline will be hard to replace. It would also keep Marte's arm in RF.

As far as a Bat.... who are you looking at Benitendi? If we lost Nimmo he could move to RF & Marte to center. Would have to move McNeil to leadoff hitter I think.

I think Senga helps them lure Ohtani. Mets have a huge AAPI fanbase already, lotta opportunity there.

Bellinger seems like he's worth a shot. I've thought that McNeil should be leading off since the break, tbh. If Nimmo isn't going to steal at all it makes way more sense to have McNeil lead off.

57 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think Senga helps them lure Ohtani. Mets have a huge AAPI fanbase already, lotta opportunity there.

Bellinger seems like he's worth a shot. I've thought that McNeil should be leading off since the break, tbh. If Nimmo isn't going to steal at all it makes way more sense to have McNeil lead off.

Bellinger signed 1 year deal with Cubs

RULE 5 DRAFT:

With the 27th overall pick in the Rule 5 draft, the Mets selected RHP Zach Greene from the Yankees. Greene, a 26-year-old eighth round pick from 2019, pitched to a 3.42 ERA mostly out of the bullpen at Triple-A last year, striking out 12.64 batters per nine while walking 4.21. He features a fastball without high-end velocity but that has a lot of ride out of a low arm slot, allowing him to achieve a very flat vertical approach angle(VAA). His primary off speed offering is a sweeping slider in the high 70s that also induces whiffs. We don’t have public-facing pitch metrics to confirm this, but from the description it sure sounds like a pitch that falls into the “sweeper” bucket popularized by the Dodgers in recent years.

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

RULE 5 DRAFT:

With the 27th overall pick in the Rule 5 draft, the Mets selected RHP Zach Greene from the Yankees. Greene, a 26-year-old eighth round pick from 2019, pitched to a 3.42 ERA mostly out of the bullpen at Triple-A last year, striking out 12.64 batters per nine while walking 4.21. He features a fastball without high-end velocity but that has a lot of ride out of a low arm slot, allowing him to achieve a very flat vertical approach angle(VAA). His primary off speed offering is a sweeping slider in the high 70s that also induces whiffs. We don’t have public-facing pitch metrics to confirm this, but from the description it sure sounds like a pitch that falls into the “sweeper” bucket popularized by the Dodgers in recent years.

solid R5 pick. Good chance to stick. Mid-90’s guy, high RPM - gets a lot of swing and misses. He struck out 211 in 146 pro innings. Just a 1.08 WHIP. Strong chance to stick.

Hearing #Yankees RHP Prospect Zach Greene is a potential candidate to be selected in tomorrow’s MLB Rule-5 Draft. Greene spent all of last season at AAA, posting — 3.42 ERA, 12.64 K/9, 96 K’s, as opponents hit just .199 off him.

The Top Ten: NY Mets Prospects

1. Francisco Álvarez, C
  2. Brett Baty, 3B/OF
  3. Kevin Parada, C
  4. Jett Williams, SS
  5. Alex Ramirez, OF
  6. Blake Tidwell, RHP
  7. Ronny Mauricio, SS
  8. Mark Vientos, 4C
  9. Dominic Hamel, RHP
  10. Calvin Ziegler, RHP

Question…. If Alvarez is our top prospect, what are the plans for Parada? 1st base if Alonzo walks in 2024?

Really hoping that Mauricio, Baty, Ramirez & Vientos get extended PT in Spring Training

30 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Alright, solid moves,....we just need some pop, dont make the same stupid mistake as last year and go into the season w/ only Alonso providing any power on this team.

Lindor with his 20+ and 100+ don’t count? Escobar Last few months of the season, and Marte, even though he is more of a gap hitter.

31 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Lindor with his 20+ and 100+ don’t count? Escobar Last few months of the season, and Marte, even though he is more of a gap hitter.

Sure, he count but you watched how the season ended, you saw the playoffs and WS, you know who the Phillies and Braves have, you saw how quickly the Padres changed the game w/ one swing vs. supposed Ace's - do you honestly think Alonso and a couple of maybe 20 guys are enough? 

7 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Sure, he count but you watched how the season ended, you saw the playoffs and WS, you know who the Phillies and Braves have, you saw how quickly the Padres changed the game w/ one swing vs. supposed Ace's - do you honestly think Alonso and a couple of maybe 20 guys are enough? 

Twitch Agree GIF by Hyper RPG

Who's out there ? Benitiendi? Not really a power hitter. JD Martinez? DH I can see but getting older

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Twitch Agree GIF by Hyper RPG

Who's out there ? Benitiendi? Not really a power hitter. JD Martinez? DH I can see but getting older

I dont know what the answer is, honestly, just kind of putting it out there, we need another 1 swing game changer in this line up.  No clue who or where it comes from, lol, just trying to talk into existence. 

57 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Padres landed Bogaerts. Good lord are they stacked. NL is going to be so tough this year. Mets need to land someone big to keep up IMO. If not now then by the deadline for sure. Losing Nimmo would put them so behind at this point.

I'm uncertain if the Verlander or Judge contracts are included in these projections. What I do know is that we should be grateful for having an owner willing to go "All-In" trying to keep us competitive!

image.thumb.png.128884e8081915ab76d4d0dc4a44791c.png

• Upvote 1

The Mets have agreed to an eight-year, $162 million contract with center fielder Brandon Nimmo, the latest in the team’s flurry of significant moves to bolster both its 2023 roster and its long-term prospects, according to news that was first reported by Joel Sherman.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And he's going to continue to be the longest tenured Met for a really, really long time.

Hopefully the 1st 2 years at reasonable $ and big $ comes after Max & Verlander contracts off the books

13 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Nimmo staying 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

NL east is gonna be a gauntlet this year and for some years to come 

Mets are so top heavy too. Throw in the insanity that is the West now and it all looks so daunting. Cohen will have to make a few big splashes over the next few years to keep up. 

They have to go all-in on Ohtani. Whether it's at the deadline or free agency. They just have to.

• Post of the Week 1