2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Guys, of course it's about the money.  I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to have a 162 game regular season and then a 4 round playoff.

Well it’s here to stay so might as well make other tweaks/adjustments to make the best of it.  

Earlier in the thread I proposed what 8 divisions would look like so there’d be only 2 WCs instead of 3.  Thoughts? 

On 10/6/2022 at 1:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I was thinking that 4 divisions in each might be the only solution to all that  But $$$ talks and they want more teams, more games, and more money so here we are.

Plus if you're in a really tough division it would suck to win 98 games but not make the postseason.  

Maybe 4 divisions and 2 WC's?  That could be the best of both worlds.  Top 2 strongest division winners still get byes and you at least mitigate the WC situation by only having 2 instead of 3.  

I wonder what the divisions would look like.  The NL would be almost impossible because its hard to break up the NL Central teams.  You would need to add 2 expansion teams in the south or southwest region of the country to make it work (Charlotte, Las Vegas, Nashville?). 

This is the best I could do:

• AL East:  Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
  • AL South:  Rays, Astros, Rangers
  • AL Central:  White Sox, Guardians, Tigers, Royals
  • AL West:  Mariners, Angels, A's, Twins
  • NL East:  Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Brewers
  • NL South:  Marlins, Braves, Diamondbacks
  • NL Central:  Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, Cubs
  • NL West:  Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rockies

With expansion:

• AL East:  Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
  • AL South:  Rays, Astros, Rangers, Nashville/Charlotte/other
  • AL Central:  White Sox, Guardians, Tigers, Royals
  • AL West:  Mariners, Angels, A's, Twins
  • NL East:  Mets, Phillies, Nationals, Brewers
  • NL South:  Marlins, Braves, Diamondbacks, Las Vegas
  • NL Central:  Cardinals, Pirates, Reds, Cubs
  • NL West:  Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rockies

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well it’s here to stay so might as well make other tweaks/adjustments to make the best of it.  

Earlier in the thread I proposed what 8 divisions would look like so there’d be only 2 WCs instead of 3.  Thoughts? 

I don't really know the solution.  But I do think that if they want to have all these rounds of the playoffs, they should shorten the regular season.  But I can't imagine them giving up all that money.

• Upvote 1

In one hand, I'm so numb to this and expected this outcome that it doesnt really hurt this morning at all.  Like, not one bit, this was an obvious and predictable outcome, been saying it for weeks now (I even mentioned the Padres were a terrible match up months ago).  The pain comes in knowing this team is proper ****ed.  They're soooooo far behind the rest of the real teams of the NL it's not even funny.  It's going to take a miracle offseason to even be slightly competitive next season because that line up sucks donkey dick.

Let's go Mets! 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

In one hand, I'm so numb to this and expected this outcome that it doesnt really hurt this morning at all.  Like, not one bit, this was an obvious and predictable outcome, been saying it for weeks now (I even mentioned the Padres were a terrible match up months ago).  The pain comes in knowing this team is proper ****ed.  They're soooooo far behind the rest of the real teams of the NL it's not even funny.  It's going to take a miracle offseason to even be slightly competitive next season because that line up sucks donkey dick.

Let's go Mets! 

So many FA's (including deGrom and Edwin Diaz) so the team will look a lot different next year.  

A big question will be if our young guys are ready to step in like happened with the Braves.  My hunch is no but we'll see.

Also, our rotation is going to be very questionable.  Right now it's basically Scherzer (who is older and starting to get injured) and some question marks.  The bullpen is also a bunch of question marks since Diaz might not be back.  I don't know that it would even make sense to pay him a fortune over a long term contract since relievers seem to be up-and-down year-to-year.

So questionable starting and relief pitching plus a lineup that needs more big bats.  And young players who we have no idea are going to succeed.  Meanwhile, the Braves are absolutely loaded and their key players are signed long-term.  The Phillies are pretty good.  The Marlins are clearly on the way up with some star young players.

The Mets have a ton of work to do this offseason. While we do have an owner who is willing to spend, that's not enough.  We need a GM who can make extremely smart decisions.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So many FA's (including deGrom and Edwin Diaz) so the team will look a lot different next year.  

A big question will be if our young guys are ready to step in like happened with the Braves.  My hunch is no but we'll see.

Also, our rotation is going to be very questionable.  Right now it's basically Scherzer (who is older and starting to get injured) and some question marks.  The bullpen is also a bunch of question marks since Diaz might not be back.  I don't know that it would even make sense to pay him a fortune over a long term contract since relievers seem to be up-and-down year-to-year.

So questionable starting and relief pitching plus a lineup that needs more big bats.  And young players who we have no idea are going to succeed.  Meanwhile, the Braves are absolutely loaded and their key players are signed long-term.  The Phillies are pretty good.  The Marlins are clearly on the way up with some star young players.

The Mets have a ton of work to do this offseason. While we do have an owner who is willing to spend, that's not enough.  We need a GM who can make extremely smart decisions.

With the Mets history of hitting on prospects, I'm not holding my breath on any of these dudes.  Like you said, it's great they have an owner willing to spend but this team is going to be a barren waste land and will have an insane amount of work to do to even be close to competitive to the Phillies, let alone the Braves. 

31 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

With the Mets history of hitting on prospects, I'm not holding my breath on any of these dudes.  Like you said, it's great they have an owner willing to spend but this team is going to be a barren waste land and will have an insane amount of work to do to even be close to competitive to the Phillies, let alone the Braves. 

A 101 win regular season and it truly does feel like gloom-and-doom right now.

"These Mets"

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I still think mbl playoffs are a joke.  (I get push back on this.)  Play like 20 or more ex games, 162 reg season games and then have a best of three in the playoffs round one.  The min length of a series should be 7 at worst 5.  You should have to expose your 4 man rotation to an overall series.

100% agree.  

These two upcoming NL series show just how absurd the playoff system is. The Braves are playing a team that finished 14.5 games behind them while the Dodgers are playing a team that finished 22 games behind them.And for good measure, the Astros have to play a team that finished 16.5 games back. I hope baseball gets the Phillies v Seattle WS. They deserve it. MLB should go to 4 divisions in each league, only division winners get in. Seed 1-4 and have 1st rd best of 5, reseed, then play best of 7 for pennant. They want wildcards and extra $, do what college hoops do. Let them have all the 2 nd and 3rd place team have their own tournament, kinda like their own  NIT. I’ m sure there would be a ton of interest in finding out who is the best 2nd or 3rd place team in MLB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

These two upcoming NL series show just how absurd the playoff system is. The Braves are playing a team that finished 14.5 games behind them while the Dodgers are playing a team that finished 22 games behind them.And for good measure, the Astros have to play a team that finished 16.5 games back. I hope baseball gets the Phillies v Seattle WS. They deserve it. MLB should go to 4 divisions in each league, only division winners get in. Seed 1-4 and have 1st rd best of 5, reseed, then play best of 7 for pennant. They want wildcards and extra $, do what college hoops do. Let them have all the 2 nd and 3rd place team have their own tournament, kinda like their own  NIT. I’ m sure there would be a ton of interest in finding out who is the best 2nd or 3rd place team in MLB.

Padres look like a much better team then the Mets right now, and not even going off just the last series. Ore September was not 100 win caliber either 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Will Eppler be our GM next year?

Please NO. This guy totally flaked after the All Star break.  This team remarkably won 101 games. It was like a mirage.  With all the injuries they sustained its truly remarkable they held onto the lead until the last week. Alonso had a sub power year.  No one hit for average other than punch and judy McNeil.  Escobar was terrible for 5 months.  The catchers couldn't hit themselves out a paper bag.  Marte was solid but of course missed the last month which really doomed any chance of winning the division, deGrom out half the season as was Scherzer and McGil (their top 3 starters). Nimmo was solid, Canha was fair but lacked power.  And still they won 101 games.  The big big big issue was the DH.  Eppler or Effer really effed this slot up.  They got nothing.  The DH absolutely killed this team. 

Biggest turning points were losing Marte. At that point I knew it was over. No way they overcome that. Losing McGil really really hurt as well. He was lights out and was lost for the last 2/3 of the year. We were 10.5 games up on Braves and he got hurt. Lead evaporated after his injury.  Swept by the cubs? The Cubs? Are you kidding? They just lost any passion for the season. How does that happen?  The 3 out of 4 losses to the Braves was the last straw. This team in September looked like 2021 when they won 78 games.  Just a terrible meltdown.

Rotation next season is a huge question mark. Bassitt should not have started Game 3. I would have gone with Walker.  He's a brut, a bull. Basitt just folded like a tent.  

deGrom, Scherzer, McGil, Peterson, Walker and they probably add and need another lefty starter.  Diaz is all but gone. He wants big big big money and will get it.  Relievers are just so schizophrenic you cant sign a long term contract with them but someone will.  We need bats, hitters, sluggers.  Alvarez is going to be a big key.  Hopefully he grows up fast. 

I look for Cohen to make some big big changes for next year. He must be livid! I'd dump Eppler (Effer) He's over his head. Start there and work your way down. 

The smart move right now would be to blow it up and do a quick rebuild, but Cohen put his 5 year timeline in place, so that won't happen.  3 years to go with an old team with a huge payroll that is likely to go way up.

Stop throwing money at mediocrities like McCann, Canha, and Escobar.  Also, no more massive contracts for old guys likely to fall off the age cliff soon (Scherzer).  Max missed about 1/3 of the season and laid not one but two eggs when the Mets needed him most at the end.  Lots of years and innings on his arm.  Also, maybe no more 10 year contracts for anyone not named Aaron Judge.

I'm guessing a massive offer for Judge is forthcoming.  On another forum I already predicted an opening offer of $300 million for 6 years, and Cohen might go for 8 or 10 years. And how much will it cost to put together a rotation next year?  Lots b/c the Mets have no good young pitching prospects on the horizon.

It has to sting that both Seattle and Cleveland, who the Mets did "win now" trades with in recent years, have advanced further into the playoffs than the Mets did this year.  Mets are still paying for that Seattle trade...$20 million more next year for Cano.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, neckdemon said:

You guys all got pissed at me but it was obvious  this wasn't a championship caliber team. What a waste. 

Nobody I remember suggested that. Once in the PO we were hopeful we would have a chance with our pitching but since deGrom & Sherzer started to poop the bed that dream faded fast. I never expected a WS victory because LA, Houston, Braves have the superior talent.

Your "GLEE" when sh*t hit the fan was the thing pissing people off. 

Francisco Lindor (age 28) vs Andres Gimenez (age 23)

Gimenez has the higher batting average, slugging, OBP, SB.

Lindor has 26 HRs to Gimenez's 17 but in 630 ABs (compared to Gimenez's 491).  He also has a big lead on RBIs and runs but aren't those devalued stats these days?

I'm not sure how Gimenez's defense has been this year but he looked like a star defensively when he was on the Mets.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindofr01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Signed thru 2031, 10 yrs/$341M (22-31)

image.png.ebd5e4a447369ad760a3e72f95c274a6.png

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gimenan01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Pre-Arb Eligible

Service Time (01/2022): 1.106  •  Arb Eligible: 2024  •  Free Agent: 2027

image.png.8945607e8d4a1bd7595071197ac9ffbb.png

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Francisco Lindor (age 28) vs Andres Gimenez (age 23)

Gimenez has the higher batting average, slugging, OBP, SB.

Lindor has 26 HRs to Gimenez's 17 but in 630 ABs (compared to Gimenez's 491).

I'm not sure how Gimenez's defense has been this year but he looked like a star defensively when he was on the Mets.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindofr01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Signed thru 2031, 10 yrs/$341M (22-31)

image.png.ebd5e4a447369ad760a3e72f95c274a6.png

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gimenan01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Pre-Arb Eligible

Service Time (01/2022): 1.106  •  Arb Eligible: 2024  •  Free Agent: 2027

image.png.8945607e8d4a1bd7595071197ac9ffbb.png

And let's not forget, the Guardians also got Amed Rosario (currently 26 years old) in that trade. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rosaram01.shtml

2022 Contract Status: Signed thru 2022, 1 yr/$4.95M (22)

Service Time (01/2022): 4.062  •  Arb Eligible: 2023  •  Free Agent: 2024

25056070_AmedRosario.JPG.ea383385dbce0f2616fa7335dd54fbca.JPG

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Guys, of course it's about the money.  I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to have a 162 game regular season and then a 4 round playoff.

You say you understand, but you don't understand.

Think of it this way:

1) Money

2) Money 

3) Money

4) [small and blurry, like the very bottom line of an eye test chart:]  everything else

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gramsci said:

Still think it's amazing how the Mets front office didn't think that pulling the trigger for Wilson Contreras wasn't worth a top 10 prospect.

Was that all it would have taken to get him, or were the Cubs asking for more?

A quality hitter at C would have been nice, but given how awful Scherzer and Bassitt were in their last 2 starts, it might not have mattered, sadly.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Was that all it would have taken to get him, or were the Cubs asking for more?

A quality hitter at C would have been nice, but given how awful Scherzer and Bassitt were in their last 2 starts, it might not have mattered, sadly.

Yes, like a 5 or a 6 for Contreras + Robertson. The whole optics of the trade involving Pete Crow-Armstrong made the Mets FO a bit nervous I think.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Nobody I remember suggested that. Once in the PO we were hopeful we would have a chance with our pitching but since deGrom & Sherzer started to poop the bed that dream faded fast. I never expected a WS victory because LA, Houston, Braves have the superior talent.

Your "GLEE" when sh*t hit the fan was the thing pissing people off. 

Glee? Lol. I was never happy about it and never once even suggested I was happy about it. This is actually a ridiculous take and is nothing but an assumption (completely wrong one also).