2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

50 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok so if the Padres beat the LAD it means in a short series the underdogs are winning. The Mets and ATL won 101 games and Philly won 87 and they are in the NLCS. Right now SD leads their series vs the Dodgers 2-1 so they could win it tonight. The Dodgers won 111 games during regular season and SD won 89. 

Crazy the Braves are out. They looked unstoppable. Baseball like every other sport. Just gotta get hot at right time, especially with expanded playoffs 

50 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok so if the Padres beat the LAD it means in a short series the underdogs are winning. The Mets and ATL won 101 games and Philly won 87 and they are in the NLCS. Right now SD leads their series vs the Dodgers 2-1 so they could win it tonight. The Dodgers won 111 games during regular season and SD won 89. 

I have always thought that part of the problem with baseball's post season is that team built to succeed over 162 games usually have 5 solid starters and a deep bullpen.  In a short series with multiple off days, you only need a rotation that goes three deep and you can lean on 3 or 4 bullpen arms.  The nature of what makes a great team over a 6 month season is not the same thing that makes a team great in a short series.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have always thought that part of the problem with baseball's post season is that team built to succeed over 162 games usually have 5 solid starters and a deep bullpen.  In a short series with multiple off days, you only need a rotation that goes three deep and you can lean on 3 or 4 bullpen arms.  The nature of what makes a great team over a 6 month season is not the same thing that makes a team great in a short series.

Edit.

that’s a valid point 

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not sure you understand what the word "advanced" means. Yes they are playing in the second round, and they earned that right. But they did not "advance".

I remember when Yankee fans only cared about "championships". That century that passed.

I've never felt sorrier for someone based on a response ?

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Same here.  I used to love postseason baseball.  Now, like you, with the Mets eliminated,  I'm not sure how much I'll watch (if any) the rest of the way.  I did watch (and enjoy!) some of the Yankees loss yesterday.

now tonight was a very enjoyable loss!!!!!

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

47 minutes ago, faba said:

These expanded playoffs are showing you once again just make the playoffs what happens in regular season means nothing. 

I'm glad this is happening because it's exposing how ridiculous the expanded baseball postseason is.  While I'm rooting against the Yankees anyway, it would be good to see Cleveland get into the LCS to make things more ridiculous.  If MLB doesn't want teams like the Phillies/Padres/Guardians to be in the LCS then don't let so many teams into the postseason in the first place.  The 162 game schedule should be the thing to weed these teams out.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Just say SD goes to the WS. Does it make the Mets early exit a little better? Padres dispose of the Mets in 3, dodgers in 4.

To me it does.  At least we lost to a team that was better than their record would indicate.  Though they traded for Juan Soto at the deadline so that shouldn't really be a surprise.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Just say SD goes to the WS. Does it make the Mets early exit a little better? Padres dispose of the Mets in 3, dodgers in 4.

no..... who gives a sh*t which team wins. the mets sh*t the bed.....doesnt make it better because the team that beat them wins. 

mets didnt do sh*t at the trade deadline and that was so wilponsesque and probably a big reason that they sh*t themselves while the padres, who made a bog aquisition is winning!!!

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Dodgers getting knocked off makes this so much more hard to swallow now. Just a complete waste. It’s pretty clear Max was mismanaged in some capacity and it’s hard not to wonder the whys and ifs about that right now. NL was wide open and the Mets were right there. Ugh. 

I'm still not confident that the Mets would have beaten the Dodgers though.  The Padres just got hot at the right time.  

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm glad this is happening because it's exposing how ridiculous the expanded baseball postseason is.  While I'm rooting against the Yankees anyway, it would be good to see Cleveland get into the LCS to make things more ridiculous.  If MLB doesn't want teams like the Phillies/Padres/Guardians to be in the LCS then don't let so many teams into the postseason in the first place.  The 162 game schedule should be the thing to weed these teams out.

yeah it really is a shame to grind through such a long 162 game season just to get ousted like that. but it is what it is. they should cut the reg season down by a month and do a double elimination if they want so many teams in it

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, faba said:

These expanded playoffs are showing you once again just make the playoffs what happens in regular season means nothing. 

It really exposes how badly MLB is wrecking the sport.  What's the point of playing 162 games in the regular season if you can finish 3rd like the Phillies but still make the NLCS (and still potentially win it all)?

image.png.0e4069c77660d672ae5d26e3c7cee51e.png

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

yeah it really is a shame to grind through such a long 162 game season just to get ousted like that. but it is what it is. they should cut the reg season down by a month and do a double elimination if they want so many teams in it

The Dodgers were 60 games over .500 but got eliminated in a best-of-5 series by a team that was 22 GB in regular season.

160255887_DodgersStandings2022.JPG.84361f9a0c01ee73092122a637d07fab.JPG

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It really exposes how badly MLB is wrecking the sport.  What's the point of playing 162 games in the regular season if you can finish 3rd like the Phillies but still make the NLCS (and still potentially win it all)?

image.png.0e4069c77660d672ae5d26e3c7cee51e.png

best of 3 or even best of 5 series is baseball are no good. the wildcard teams should all play eachother in one game elimination and then the postseason should proceed with best of 7 series

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

best of 3 or even best of 5 series is baseball are no good. the wildcard teams should all play eachother in one game elimination and then the postseason should proceed with best of 7 series

I liked it better when there were two wid card teams, playing each other, although the idea of a one game winner take all was bs.  At least that way you only had one WC team in the "real" playoffs.  If they want expenaded playoffs, they should have gone to a 2 out of 3 WC series with 2 WC teams in a "play in" series and after that all series should be 4 of 7.  Three Division Champs, two WCs.  WC play each other 2 out of 3 with no off day after game 3 to the start of the Division series.  Teams play in the regular season all the time with no off day, they can do it int he post-season.  Make the path as tough as you can on the WC.  

There is no perfect way of doing a playoffs it has to be a short series and lesser teams during the regular season are sometimes going to beat better teams. For teams like the Phillies and SD it ignites their fans you saw how wild they were beating the Braves and LAD. Esp in SD where they hate LA. 

We all know that baseball is a game of streaks and slumps more so than other sports probably because of the longevity of the season. But the wildest most unpredictable of all of the playoff games was yesterday’s Seattle-Houston game. Both teams good offensively couldn’t score and were shut out until the 18th inning and in total only one run scored. So MLB did not use the extra inning regular season new rule on starting from the 10th inning on with a runner on 2nd base. Most baseball fans hate it. 

21 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Mlb has proven that the regular season means nothing.

• Upvote 1

It’s the off season now for the Mets. They have like ten free agents some of them key players. According to reports the player they most want to re-sign is Nimmo. But who was the 2022 Mets MVP? The guy most responsible for many of those Ws. I’d vote for Edwin Diaz. He’s making 10 mil and reports are it might take 20 mil per year to sign him. Look he’s had ups and downs some of those downs were killers. I thought one season 2019 he was the reason the Mets didn’t make the playoffs he was that bad. But last year he was great one of the best players in MLB. He’s the main guy I’d re-sign. Without Diaz no way Mets win 101 and he wasn’t reason they lost to Atlanta and then SD. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It’s the off season now for the Mets. They have like ten free agents some of them key players. According to reports the player they most want to re-sign is Nimmo. But who was the 2022 Mets MVP? The guy most responsible for many of those Ws. I’d vote for Edwin Diaz. He’s making 10 mil and reports are it might take 20 mil per year to sign him. Look he’s had ups and downs some of those downs were killers. I thought one season he was the reason the Mets didn’t make the playoffs he was that bad. But last year he was great one of the best players in MLB. He’s the main guy I’d re-sign. Without Diaz no way Mets win 101 and he wasn’t reason they lost to Atlanta and then SD. 

Relievers seem to be up and down depending on the year.  No way would I pay him $20M.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Relievers seem to be up and down depending on the year.  No way would I pay him $20M.

I think that’s a mistake. A great closer imo is a team’s most valuable player. If they allow Diaz to walk no way this team wins 100 games in 2023. How many times have we seen relief pitchers blow a game after starter does the job. Lots of times esp the Mets. I’d rather give Diaz 20 mil per over Nimmo who is good not great and you can get another lead off man and center fielder. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

I think that’s a mistake. A great closer imo is a team’s most valuable player. If they allow Diaz to walk no way this team wins 100 games in 2023. How many times have we seen relief pitchers blow a game after starter does the job. Lots of times esp the Mets. I’d rather give Diaz 20 mil per over Nimmo who is good not great and you can get another lead off man and center fielder. 

Diaz was terrific this year but I worry that he'll be up-and-down like most closers and we'll be stuck in that contract.  But I'll put my faith in the Mets' FO.  

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Diaz was terrific this year but I worry that he'll be up-and-down like most closers and we'll be stuck in that contract.  But I'll put my faith in the Mets' FO.  

Craig Kimbell and Kenley Jansen both got 16 mil per deals with their teams and both weren’t close to Diaz in 2022. Believe me he’ll get a big contract. And I think teams will overpay for a closer someone will pay him in 2023. Now is there a chance he could suck again. He’s had one bad year and he was really bad. 

18 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Craig Kimbell and Kenley Jansen both got 16 mil per deals with their teams and both weren’t close to Diaz in 2022. Believe me he’ll get a big contract. And I think teams will overpay for a closer someone will pay him in 2023. Now is there a chance he could suck again. He’s had one bad year and he was really bad. 

100 with movement upstairs along with a biting slider plays at any level. What Diaz lacked in his initial year with the Mets was intent and confidence. 

He is 28 and should have 5 very good years left in him.