2022 New York Mets thread

Scott Dierking

18 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Craig Kimbell and Kenley Jansen both got 16 mil per deals with their teams and both weren’t close to Diaz in 2022. Believe me he’ll get a big contract. And I think teams will overpay for a closer someone will pay him in 2023. Now is there a chance he could suck again. He’s had one bad year and he was really bad. 

Of course he will.  How many years and what will the AAV be though?  What if he wants 7 years at $25M per?

21 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

100 with movement upstairs along with a biting slider plays at any level. What Diaz lacked in his initial year with the Mets was intent and confidence. 

He is 28 and should have 5 very good years left in him. 

Totally agree. He had one bad year, he was young and just switched leagues. There is so much good data on this kid. He is getting a 5 year contract. When it expires he will be 33.

• Upvote 1

Met Fan Suicide Hotline Hello you have reached the Met fan Suicide Hotline how may I help you today.

Met Fan: OMG I can't take it, we won 101 games and still can't compete in the playoffs.

Met Fan Suicide Hotline: I'm sorry to hear that sir but I have to ask are you a Jets fan ?

Met Fan: Why yes how did you know ?

Met Fan Suicide Hotline: 

• Haha 1

If the Mets don't go after Aaron Judge, I hope they go after Andrew Benintendi.  He's only 28 years old, is a very tough out, and plays outstanding defense.  Marte, Benintendi, and Nimmo (who is a must re-sign) would make a really solid OF.  We'd probably need a quality 4th OF in the event of injury (which all 3 of these guys have a history of).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beninan01.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know what’s in the Mets owner’s mind as far as payroll. When he bought the team many fans thought he’d spend without limit the guy is a lifetime Mets fan owning the team is a dream for him and he’s willing to buy a championship. In 2022 he increased the Mets payroll about the salary to sign Scherzer and the Mets were 2nd in MLB in payroll around 253. On the other hand maybe he’s seeing the light on overspending and tired of going way over the league max. Houston had the 8th highest payroll at 164 and that after a 16% cut in 2022 and they won the WS. I like the Diaz signing it should keep them at least competitive. But expecting him to sign every big bat is kind of crazy. 

20 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Houston had the 8th highest payroll at 164 and that after a 16% cut in 2022 and they won the WS

Houston has the type of farm system that can let Correa walk (Jeremy Peña) & a pitching staff stacked with inexpensive flame throwers

Mets are still 2-3 years away as long as they draft well.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

deGrom's innings pitched for the past 3 seasons are abysmal! Are we really going to throw #40-$45m of Cohen's money that could be used elsewhere? Nimmo, Alfonso etc.

image.png.f8d094cc4ce630575200000e61d4bade.png

Someone will pay him, and that is buying a lottery ticket.

The guy is great, but he throws less innings than many relievers.  I'd give him an incentive laden contract, but no way he would take that.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

deGrom's innings pitched for the past 3 seasons are abysmal! Are we really going to throw #40-$45m of Cohen's money that could be used elsewhere? Nimmo, Alfonso etc.

Right.  I'd rather secure very solid players like Nimmo, Alonso, etc. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Someone will pay him, and that is buying a lottery ticket.

The guy is great, but he throws less innings than many relievers.  I'd give him an incentive laden contract, but no way he would take that.

Does anyone think he's put up enough solid pitching numbers to be a potential HOF candidate? I am not so sure.

Thanks for all the memories!

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right.  I'd rather secure very solid players like Nimmo, Alonso, etc. 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Does anyone think he's put up enough solid pitching numbers to be a potential HOF candidate? I am not so sure.

Thanks for all the memories!

I would not put him in.  He is in the Johan Santana range, a few great seasons, 2 CY Youngs, but a short career peak.  At this point DeGrom doesn't even have 100 career wins.   I know wins aren't what they were, but he has a total of 82, that would be so far below any other starter in the HOF.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Some rumblings that the Mets might be interested in Conforto .

I'd be good with that.  Would be a nice depth piece.  I'm sure it would be a short-term prove-it type contract that would work for both him and the team.

Though I really want the Mets to get Benintendi.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Nope.  That is why he won't be back. And if you look at his numbers by inning, he was a 5-inning pitcher last year.

• Innings 1-5, 2.17 ERA, .155 BA against and 4 HR in 54 innings
  • Innings 6-7, 8.62 ERA, .262 BA against and 5 HR in 10 1/3 innings

Someone is going to pay him a boatlad of money.  But I don't expect it to be us.  I love watching the guy, but $40M+ for a 5-inning pitcher who has not thrown 100 innings in a season since 2019, and will turn 35 next season.  Our luck, he will probably start 30+ games next season for someone else, hopefully in the AL.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, chirorob said:

I would not put him in.  He is in the Johan Santana range, a few great seasons, 2 CY Youngs, but a short career peak.  At this point DeGrom doesn't even have 100 career wins.   I know wins aren't what they were, but he has a total of 82, that would be so far below any other starter in the HOF.

I am on the other side of this one.  I get your argument, but I think Hall should be a place for the guys who are dominant over a shorter career span.  Game 7, who would you rather have on the mound? Santana/deGrom or Kaat/Mussina/Blyleven.

The Hall has rewarded the compilers, and I have no issue with that.  Guys who are really good over 15+ years, but I think they should also reward guys who were in the conversation for best in the game for 8 -12 years.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am on the other side of this one.  I get your argument, but I think Hall should be a place for the guys who are dominant over a shorter career span.  Game 7, who would you rather have on the mound? Santana/deGrom or Kaat/Mussina/Blyleven.

The Hall has rewarded the compilers, and I have no issue with that.  Guys who are really good over 15+ years, but I think they should also reward guys who were in the conversation for best in the game for 8 -12 years.

But he doesn't even have that.  He has a 5 year run where he finished 8, 1, 1, 3, 9 in the Cy Young voting.  He also threw 200 innings 3 times, with 217, 201 ,204.

Mussina never won a Cy Young, he did have a 2nd place finish and 9 top 6 finishes.  He also threw 200 innings 11 times, with a max of 241.   To me, innings thrown by the starter matter.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

Someone is going to pay him a boatlad of money.  But I don't expect it to be us.  I love watching the guy, but $40M+ for a 5-inning pitcher who has not thrown 100 innings in a season since 2019, and will turn 35 next season.

Hopefully the Rich Owner & longtime Met fan won’t get finagled by the player/agent and let him walk if it effects us signing Alfonso & Nimmo. 
Next discussion: Tijuana & Basset. I’d like to have both back as #3 & #4 starters. We need a #1 (so Max goes to #2) and a #5 starter. Is that Pederson or Allen if he’s over his injury. 
Butto may be ready for a camp invite 

45 minutes ago, chirorob said:

But he doesn't even have that.  He has a 5 year run where he finished 8, 1, 1, 3, 9 in the Cy Young voting.  He also threw 200 innings 3 times, with 217, 201 ,204.

Mussina never won a Cy Young, he did have a 2nd place finish and 9 top 6 finishes.  He also threw 200 innings 11 times, with a max of 241.   To me, innings thrown by the starter matter.

He was ROY in 2014, and an All Star and top 10 in CY in 2015.  Plus the other 5 years and given his level of domination, I would put him in.  He is borderline, but I would lean towards a historic stretch of dominance.  

As to innings thrown by starters, that is going way down anyway.  Most starters are only asked to go 5 - 6 innings now.  The historical numbers that we have looked at for pitchers in the past are not likely to be seen again any time soon.  I hate that, but that is the game today. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

He was ROY in 2014, and an All Star and top 10 in CY in 2015.  Plus the other 5 years and given his level of domination, I would put him in.  He is borderline, but I would lean towards a historic stretch of dominance.  

As to innings thrown by starters, that is going way down anyway.  Most starters are only asked to go 5 - 6 innings now.  The historical numbers that we have looked at for pitchers in the past are not likely to be seen again any time soon.  I hate that, but that is the game today. 

Fair enough.

If he gets healthy and has 2 more good years, he probably does get in.   As it is, id say he probably has 60 less wins then any other starter in the hof.

There are also guys like don Sutton who are in who shouldn't be there. Guys who were good for 20 years.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Fair enough.

If he gets healthy and has 2 more good years, he probably does get in.   As it is, id say he probably has 60 less wins then any other starter in the hof.

There are also guys like don Sutton who are in who shouldn't be there. Guys who were good for 20 years.  

If his career ended this season, or if he has a couple more injury plagued seasons and then calls it quits, he probably does not get in.  Just my personal view that the Hall should reward the dominant guy over the shorter stretch.  They tend to reward longevity over dominance.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd be good with that.  Would be a nice depth piece.  I'm sure it would be a short-term prove-it type contract that would work for both him and the team.

Though I really want the Mets to get Benintendi.

All this worrying about Nimmo and who we might get to replace him if he leaves is just  another stark reminder of what an absolutely horrific trade the Baez deal was. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

All this worrying about Nimmo and who we might get to replace him if he leaves is just  another stark reminder of what an absolutely horrific trade the Baez deal was. 

At least we learned our lesson this year though.  Eppler was careful to not trade prospects at the deadline.  Hated Baez btw.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hopefully the Rich Owner & longtime Met fan won’t get finagled by the player/agent and let him walk if it effects us signing Alfonso & Nimmo. 
Next discussion: Tijuana & Basset. I’d like to have both back as #3 & #4 starters. We need a #1 (so Max goes to #2) and a #5 starter. Is that Pederson or Allen if he’s over his injury. 
Butto may be ready for a camp invite 

Mets are gonna go hard at Rodon once Texas backs up the Brinks truck for Jake. Pay Bassitt and they're fine after that.

On 11/10/2022 at 3:58 PM, chirorob said:

I’m all fairness about the wins. He was a met and they played there absolute worst for him.