A message from Becton, ya'll!

Bronx

9 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The 2021 injury was not his fault.  The POS GVR was ragdolled and tossed 10 yards across the field into his leg.  It had nothing to do with conditioning or how he performed without pads. 

That being said, it was a 8-10 week maximum recovery time and he never came back (18 weeks).

That shows a lack of heart and desire to get better. 

That is worrisome and why I've done a 180 on Big Ticket. 

He's lazy until he proves otherwise. 

Unless of course, something went wrong - like that is a timeframe for someone much smaller, or there was a mental issue with it where it was mostly healed but Becton didn't trust it - after all he was put in hurt last year and the injury got worse. Or there was an infection, or a tear that occurred during rehab.

Yes, it could be heart, but it could be dozens of other reasons. Seeing how our crack media staff seems to have no idea what is going on and resorts to 'I hear things', 'an unnamed source', etc there could be many reasons why this happened that nobody is talking about because of HIPA or other privacy reasons. Remember, half the time the Jets media lands a big story, it is often after some observant poster posts it here first. Who found out that the Jets hired Zach's coach?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Unless of course, something went wrong - like that is a timeframe for someone much smaller, or there was a mental issue with it where it was mostly healed but Becton didn't trust it - after all he was put in hurt last year and the injury got worse. Or there was an infection, or a tear that occurred during rehab.

Yes, it could be heart, but it could be dozens of other reasons. Seeing how our crack media staff seems to have no idea what is going on and resorts to 'I hear things', 'an unnamed source', etc there could be many reasons why this happened that nobody is talking about because of HIPA or other privacy reasons. Remember, half the time the Jets media lands a big story, it is often after some observant poster posts it here first. Who found out that the Jets hired Zach's coach?

Then why wouldn't the Jets say he had a setback?  It would take the pressure off everyone.  

It's not like having a guy that might play and have other teams gameplan for multiple scenarios.  He was already on the DL. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Then why wouldn't the Jets say he had a setback?  It would take the pressure off everyone.  

It's not like having a guy that might play and have other teams gameplan for multiple scenarios.  He was already on the DL. 

I have no idea - that is why I am not making judgments - maybe it wasn't a physical setback - and/or he doesn't want it made public. Maybe after telling people he had a weight problem and people responding about him being fat and lazy, he doesn't trust the public with his issue....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

I don't care what he chooses to post on twitter. 

I will be rooting for the guy to play and play well next year.  We could have a really good o-line if he can play 17 games next season.  Have to see it to believe it, but I sure hope it can happen. Personally, I would prefer if he would just keep quiet and show up in shape and ready to play next season.

Totally agree, and it's absolutely in the team's interest for him to return to form next year. Rooting for him to have a comeback season? 100%, absolutely, and I'm definitely not throwing in the towel on him at this point. 

At the same time, the recent concern with him hasn't been ability. Some concerns about size as they pertain to more injuries and recovery (of course then some of those same people suggesting we draft another his size at #4 lol) but more than that the concerns have been about motivation.

And yeah, it's tough to ignore recent comments from his HC about wanting players who love football first; a coach doesn't say that unless he feels he's got at least one noteworthy player who doesn't. Maybe he wasn't talking about Becton, but it's not hard to wonder if Saleh believes Becton isn't in that football-first group.

So in light of all that, while of course it really is just a Twitter post and doesn't guarantee a lack of effort or success next season, as a fan I could've done without his proudly identifying with this choice of clips (on the eve of the final game; yet another in which he'll be just a spectator). His posting it is not metaphorically personifying himself as a worthy protagonist who's been laying low only while injured beyond his control; but rather of doing so because he just didn't feel that trying was worth his effort yet, as though that's any type of positive trait. Maybe he didn't mean that, but it's hard to miss the message since that's the entire point of the story Walken's telling.

That said, I do expect Becton to start next season. AVT, Fant, Becton returning, as well as McGovern (though I think while they'll draft a future C/G prospect, imo he's > 50/50 to return, too). After that, just seeing how there's been no action on extending them yet, it looks like bringing back Moses, LDT, or others probably depends upon competing offers Douglas would have to outbid. We'll find out for sure before we know it.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Now I’m less optimistic with regard to his future after seeing this.

To me, anyway, it comes across similar to so many people I’ve known, talking big about how they’re going to start working out, going to start dieting, going to start eating better, going to buckle down, going to finish this or that, etc. 

Talkers boast about what they’re going to do. Doers do, and then talk after it’s done, if they even then flatter themselves at all. I see this twitter post of his, and I’m seeing a person squarely in the “going to do” talker-not-doer category. What’s more, it further connotes the idea of seeing himself as a victim of people unjustly having negative things to say about his season of non-accomplishment. 

It seems as though he came across this clip while casually browsing youtube, and it provided a convenient way for him to imagine future success from his supine position; imagining future accomplishments like a daydreamer; talking tough before performing. Conversely, a highly motivated doer’s comments would have ranged from saying nothing to humbly saying only that at this stage he has to re-prove himself to his coaches, his teammates, and the fans. 

Granted, that’s a lot of psych interpretation of the mindset of someone I don’t know, and I’m no professional in this area. That said, the boasting metaphor - which is just what posting this clip is - after a season of non-accomplishment seems to be hallmark behavior of a procrastinator. I’m gonna do this; I’m gonna do that; and mentally rewarding himself for his imagined future accomplishment as though he’s actually done it already. 

I don’t think it automatically means cut all ties, we’re done here, etc. He could have a full, solid season in 2022; he’s certainly got the tools and I’ve not given up on him returning to form. Being honest, though, this makes me less optimistic than I was yesterday.

Like you, he is a man of few words.?

• Haha 1