The coach that got away

Icer

10 hours ago, rtnelson said:

You watch a video about a coach clearly extremely disappointed that a player is on his team and your first thought is "I wish my team would have kept that player!"

What?!

Not that. My thought is JD didn't walk away from a HUGE trade down offer just to swap out one bad QB for another bad QB. And so far after yr1, that's exactly what he did.

Here's to hoping yr2 is A LOT better for that QB swap.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:19 PM, FootballLove said:

If we're keeping score, it's 1-0 in favor of keeping sam and trading down for 3 xtra 1st round picks. Next yr Zack may even the score, but for now it's 1 nil.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:30 PM, FootballLove said:

What if Sam AND Zack turn out to be terrible QBs? As of today, they both sucked. Then those 3 1st round picks we coulda gotten for keeping the bad QB we already had are looking better and better. No? 

Zack not only has to be better than Sam, he has to be 3 1st round picks better just to break even.

So for those keeping score at home, it's keeping Sam 1, Zack 0. 

Again, next year and beyond may be completely different, but for now you can't argue against 1-nil.

Trading Darnold needed to happen regardless of what the Jets did with pick # 2. 

Yes, I'm aware that Douglas pretty much hinted that Darnold would still be here if the team hadn't fallen in love with Wilson.  But that doesn't mean he was fully truthful in saying that.  A 2 and a 4 for a bad QB on an expiring contract is a great price point and would have been a difficult offer to turn down regardless of what the Jets' plans were at QB.

Douglas 100 % won that trade.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:30 PM, FootballLove said:

What if Sam AND Zack turn out to be terrible QBs? As of today, they both sucked. Then those 3 1st round picks we coulda gotten for keeping the bad QB we already had are looking better and better. No? 

Zack not only has to be better than Sam, he has to be 3 1st round picks better just to break even.

So for those keeping score at home, it's keeping Sam 1, Zack 0. 

Again, next year and beyond may be completely different, but for now you can't argue against 1-nil.

What has been going around lately?  No, keeping Sam would NOT have been worth it.  You have to have a QB.  What, we wait until we have 7 first round picks? 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trading Darnold needed to happen regardless of what the Jets did with pick # 2. 

Yes, I'm aware that Douglas pretty much hinted that Darnold would still be here if the team hadn't fallen in love with Wilson.  But that doesn't mean he was fully truthful in saying that.  A 2 and a 4 for a bad QB on an expiring contract is a great price point and would have been a difficult offer to turn down regardless of what the Jets' plans were at QB.

Douglas 100 % won that trade.

No one's arguing with "Sam sucks, gots to go". It's walking away from a huge trade down offer for a QB who (so far) looks as bad as Sam is the issue. JD gets an A+ for the way he shipped Sam out. His grade on bringing in Sam's replacement is still up in the air, but after season 1, it ain't looking great.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

No one's arguing with "Sam sucks, gots to go". It's walking away from a huge trade down offer for a QB who (so far) looks as bad as Sam is the issue. JD gets an A+ for the way he shipped Sam out. His grade on bringing in Sam's replacement is still up in the air, but after season 1, it ain't looking great.

That part is more than fair.  In hindsight I would have been happy to trade down and bring in a bridge veteran like Trubisky, Minshew or Winston.  Or instead of trading down simply taken Pitts or Chase at # 2, if indeed the trade down options weren't as juicy as the rumors noted they were.  

Rolling with Darnold never should have been an option though, and if in reality Douglas was even considering that route (and in the process turning down the draft capital that ended up coming our way for him), that alone would have been a fireable offense.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That part is more than fair.  In hindsight I would have been happy to trade down and bring in a bridge veteran like Trubisky, Minshew or Winston.  Or instead of trading down simply taken Pitts or Chase at # 2, if indeed the trade down options weren't as juicy as the rumors noted they were.  

Rolling with Darnold never should have been an option though, and if in reality Douglas was even considering that route (and in the process turning down the draft capital that ended up coming our way for him), that alone would have been a fireable offense.  

We all hope Zack pans out, but if not then taking the trade down haul and bringing Minshew in on the cheap for a season or 2 might in hindsight have been the best plan. Almost like we did with Fitzpatrick but better (foo-man-chew >>> red beard). I assume JD could have gotten AT LEAST what the fins got picking at 3. 3 1sts and a 2nd. Maybe even a tad more. Damn...that's an outrageous haul just to drop down 10 spots. We'd still need a long term FQB but maybe a guy like Joe Burrows or Justin Herbert might come along and drop into our laps.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

What has been going around lately?  No, keeping Sam would NOT have been worth it.  You have to have a QB.  What, we wait until we have 7 first round picks? 

Needing a QB doesn't require you to draft one.  We haven't gone the proven veteran option in a while.  I used to be against it, but it's a decent way to provide a little stability for a year or 2 while you wait on the "right guy" to draft.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 12:40 PM, y2k8 said:

Bowles got Bowles fired. 

Bowles was a bad HC, but he was also saddled with the worst GM in NFL history.  That didn't help matters. 

Maccagnan ended up knifing Bowles to try to save his own job.  And for a time, it worked, until Gase knifed him.  For that alone, Gase deserves a statue with big googly eyes on it.

hqdefault.jpg

i8ymj90RGY1vsxI3gwV-oCQ6LUGnfW38hVxItK-m

• Haha 1

Bowles was a bad HC, but he was also saddled with the worst GM in NFL history.  That didn't help matters. 
Maccagnan ended up knifing Bowles to try to save his own job.  And for a time, it worked, until Gase knifed him.  For that alone, Gase deserves a statue with big googly eyes on it.

hqdefault.jpg

i8ymj90RGY1vsxI3gwV-oCQ6LUGnfW38hVxItK-mdcw.jpg?auto=webp&s=f7c67d02e086b4de2068c1943baa353a28e6f586

Jets Front Office is more treacherous than the mob.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Needing a QB doesn't require you to draft one.  We haven't gone the proven veteran option in a while.  I used to be against it, but it's a decent way to provide a little stability for a year or 2 while you wait on the "right guy" to draft.  

I don't disagree 80; but Sam had proven his way out the door.  Another reason why I think, if you draft a QB high, they should ALWAYS sit.  Let them learn, let your team get a bit better so the QB doesn't feel all the weight to begin with.  

If it was JD in year one, he might have traded out (but I doubt it).  But Mac was in do or die mode and HAD to get a QB.  Everybody was pissed when we lost our chance to guarantee Sam Darnold, and lo-and-behold we got him.  Had he have passed, there would have been pitchforks at the office the next day.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

hqdefault.jpg

i8ymj90RGY1vsxI3gwV-oCQ6LUGnfW38hVxItK-m

200.gif

It even looks like him!

Adam Gase simply appears uncomfortable in certain situations - The San  Diego Union-Tribune

• Haha 1