So when do we take out the Trash?

21 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I’d love to replace Connor McGovern with Bradley Bozeman a younger better player.

Van Roten Is Rotten and has been terrible even since we signed him, the line dramatically improved once he was replaced.

Mims is just awful, and seems to be disliked by the staff, and looks to be a lazy from accounts. I can see him moved as part of culture change. 

Ryan Griffin is one of the terrible Tight Ends we have on the roster, if we need extra cap room I won’t be upset to see him go, we will definitely drafting a Tight End to play with C.J.

How much do you save by cutting Van Roten, Mims and Griffin?

It isn't a lot.

13 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

If he's right that cutting Van Roten and Griffin would save $6.5 million, JD might be able to get a decent player for that.

But as long as we have the cap space to sign someone, we can sign the replacement first and then cut them.  Either at signing or at the end of training camp.  As long as we have cap space, there is no reason to cut these guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TheClashFan said:

If he's right that cutting Van Roten and Griffin would save $6.5 million, JD might be able to get a decent player for that.

That is more than I thought. I agree, I thought the savings was smaller.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

But as long as we have the cap space to sign someone, we can sign the replacement first and then cut them.  Either at signing or at the end of training camp.  As long as we have cap space, there is no reason to cut these guys.

True, but isn't waiting until training camp kind of screwing them over?  The sooner they get cut, the sooner they can sign elsewhere.  The later they are cut, the less $ may be out there for them.  I guess that all depends upon how much "doing a solid" for ex-players and their agents counts?

I need to see the cap calculation.  It feels like now the Jets do not have cap room for draft picks, etc.  My assumption is that some of the new signings are backended.

I don’t see the Jets carrying over cap space anymore.  Of all the signings I think the worst value may have been the corner-planning to take Sauce at 4 may have been the better plan. 

22 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

For a 6th or 7th round pick? Some team could take a chance. Pretty much all of those yards were accumulated in his first season in a completely different offense. Some team could believe he can perform for them as a deep threat or something and be willing to part with a 7th rounder. It's not a big gamble. Low risk, low reward. 

If it’s just a 6 or 7 I’d rather just keep Mims and take a chance ourselves that he can turn into a deep threat. 

• Upvote 1

McGovern is a PFF baby but he's just not very good. Can't organise blocking to save his life - We're probably the worst team in the league for guys coming untouched through the interior and an experienced centre should be picking those up. But hey he can rant at fans for "knowing nothing about ball" as AVT gets forced to take on two men while the guys beside him block air. When our line is struggling he's always at the heart of it.

Overrated trash. 

18 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I was stoked when we drafted Mims 

I'm ready to eat my crow now..  

Embarrassed Shame GIF

I loved Mims for like a full year before we drafted him, so the fact that we got him was like christmas to me. I'm not ready yet, but I'm very close. I want to give him one last training camp.

At the end of the day, we know that it's between the ears. I'm willing to give him a third offseason to see if it's clicked for him.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I need to see the cap calculation.  It feels like now the Jets do not have cap room for draft picks, etc.  My assumption is that some of the new signings are backended.

I don’t see the Jets carrying over cap space anymore.  Of all the signings I think the worst value may have been the corner-planning to take Sauce at 4 may have been the better plan. 

You are in insano-land.  We signed a really good proven corner who is young, and we also came to terms with a great downhill Safety.

Much better than drafting Sauce who might be good.