Godzilla

hmhertz

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Well, I've got another movie on my watch list now. Thanks!

I vividly remember the commercial for this movie on TV scaring the crap out of me so bad that I would cover my ears and run to the other side of the house. They use the famous Bigfoot howl in the commercial and the movie.

It's definitely '70s hokey and if you have a wife she'd hate it!!! It's like a documentary/Disney/horror film!? A lot of big wide screenshots, think outlaw Josey Wales? Dudes on horseback with the Indian tracker. I don't want to spoil it for you but it's got a great ending.

Definitely worth looking up on YouTube or just purchasing it for five bucks!? It's got some spooky foreboding piano music and then it switches to like John Denver folk music back and forth. But like the narrator says during the movie there's a feeling of uneasiness as they travel all summer on horseback through Oregon into British Columbia to the  river, and the valley of the Bigfoot.

On a side note: in the early '80s version of Flash Gordon that the rock band Queen does the soundtrack for, Flash Gordon is the Quarterback of the New York Jets!!!

Bigfoot_Sasquatch.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I vividly remember the commercial for this movie on TV scaring the crap out of me so bad that I would cover my ears and run to the other side of the house. They use the famous Bigfoot howl in the commercial and the movie.

It's definitely '70s hokey and if you have a wife she'd hate it!!! It's like a documentary/Disney/horror film!? A lot of big wide screenshots, think outlaw Josey Wales? Dudes on horseback with the Indian tracker. I don't want to spoil it for you but it's got a great ending.

Definitely worth looking up on YouTube or just purchasing it for five bucks!? It's got some spooky foreboding piano music and then it switches to like John Denver folk music back and forth. But like the narrator says during the movie there's a feeling of uneasiness as they travel all summer on horseback through Oregon into British Columbia to the  river, and the valley of the Bigfoot.

On a side note: in the early '80s version of Flash Gordon that the rock band Queen does the soundtrack for, Flash Gordon is the Quarterback of the New York Jets!!!

Bigfoot_Sasquatch.jpg

Sold! I'll keep my eye out for that one!

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I always liked how when they attacked a city, it looked like they were walking through a toy train set. 

Honestly, that looks like so much fun. I mean, who didn't pretend they were Godzilla as a kid and stomp around roaring?

• Upvote 1

@Spoot-Face

My brother and I had a super 8 movie camera and made our own monster movies. We attached  sticks to GI Joe dolls and they would fight monsters, also attached to sticks. That was back in the day when you would mail the film to be developed so we had no idea for a week what it would look like but when we played them we thought they were the funniest things we ever saw. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

@Spoot-Face

My brother and I had a super 8 movie camera and made our own monster movies. We attached  sticks to GI Joe dolls and they would fight monsters, also attached to sticks. That was back in the day when you would mail the film to be developed so we had no idea for a week what it would look like but when we played them we thought they were the funniest things we ever saw. 

Holy sh*t, that's awesome!

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

@Spoot-Face

We would hot glue small plastic tubes to Star Wars ships and run fishing line through them from the roof of the garage to the other side of the yard and let them zip down the line ...and then do rudimentary stop motion stuff with action figures and At-Ats and stuff, throw in some firecrackers, smoke bombs and a bit of lighter fluid for "explosions" and make little war movies. Great stuff. We all thought we would be the next Lucas or Spielberg...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We would hot glue small plastic tubes to Star Wars ships and run fishing line through them from the roof of the garage to the other side of the yard and let them zip down the line ...and then do rudimentary stop motion stuff with action figures and At-Ats and stuff, throw in some firecrackers, smoke bombs and a bit of lighter fluid for "explosions" and make little war movies. Great stuff. We all thought we would be the next Lucas or Spielberg...

Ha.

That was a lot more ambitious  than anything we did. Super 8 had no sound so we just had to do stuff like make fake trees out of bushes and let monsters stomp them. Oh, the monsters were often my sisters dolls that we would mutilate. We actually pulled the arms off of one and jammed two screw drivers through it to make it look like a robot. Yes, my sister was pretty mad and my parents made us buy her new ones but when everyone saw the film, everyone laughed.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Ha.

That was a lot more ambitious  than anything we did. Super 8 had no sound so we just had to do stuff like make fake trees out of bushes and let monsters stomp them. Oh, the monsters were often my sisters dolls that we would mutilate. Yes, my sister was pretty mad and my parents made us buy her new ones but when everyone saw the film, everyone laughed.  

Yeah, but in retrospect, putting lighter fluid in original run Snowspeeders, TIE Fighters, X-Wings etc and lighting them on fire for silly homemade movies was NOT great for their collectable values....D'oh!

Also weird that I was somewhat of a Pyro as a kid (and then did Explosive Demo in the Army with Det cord, C-4, Bangalore, etc) and wound up a Fire and Explosions investigator....lol

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I'll wrap up this post with one more series that I geek out over, and that's the Tremors series. The first is obviously a cult classic, but I love the first 3 sequels, too. After that, they changed production studios and they basically became SYFY level productions with all CGI and no charm. Yuck. But the practical effects in Tremors 1, 2, 3, 4, and the limited TV series was awesome. I watched a behind-the-scenes special feature on the DVD showing how they made it look like the monster shot out of the ground, and I was in awe at the amount of work and dedication it took. That's art, man.

Tremors rules. I thought 3 was almost as good as the original.

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Tremors rules. I thought 3 was almost as good as the original.

The 3rd is actually my least favorite of the original 4, my preferred list going 1,2,4,3, but I still enjoy it, and it's waaaaay better than 5,6, and 7.

I was disappointed when they canceled the series they were going to do with Kevin Bacon, as it looked interesting, although not perfect. Maybe they'll at least release the pilot one day.