Even With a Dominant Pre-Season, Jets’ Becton Could Land at Right Tackle

8 hours ago, freestater said:

Sure, but the next guy Baldy is critical of, will be the first.

Not being critical of a player is nowhere near the same as singling put players and praising them.  He wasn’t answering a question, he posted a video

• Upvote 1

I don’t want to rain on everyone’s parade here, but anyone who expects to see Becton starting every game at either position this year for the Jets is being let’s just say… very optimistic. 

I’m not even one of those who thinks we should get rid of him. I just don’t feel he’s going to be able to play anything close to a full schedule for at least another year.

I don’t know if he’s lazy, or if he’s still not 100% from his injuries, but I’ll be shocked if he plays more than a part time role this year.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

He is a 4th round pick. NO WAY are we going to bet everything we are doing on a player that may never develop and even if he does it would be a momumental leap for him to develop in only 1 year. 

Sorry  i meant he should be ready to compete.   I wouldnt assume hes the guy but might be and theyll get a good idea of what he might be by end of this year.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Fant's potential absence would be contract related if it were to happen.

Yeah, of course, he has an excuse.  

It wouldn’t be his body.  It would be contract related

As if not being at camp while under contract would be excusable if it were Becton.   

IF Becton has a fantastic pre-season at LT there is no way he plays RT just because Fant (the guy with no extension coming into this year) is better on the left side than the right side. Becton was drafted to play LT. While I understand the the o-line as a whole may be a bit better if Fant stayed on the left side and Becton moved to the right, for the future of the team, the Jets will keep Becton on the left side if he is 'dominating' there as the OP words it. Now way will Fant's play determine where Becton plays. Becton's play will determine where he plays.   
If I read this right you are saying that the staff will sacrifice better overall play of the whole line for the benefit of how good Becton looks for the 9 games we may see him in this year?

I think the overall play of the line will have a greater impact and benefit Zack more.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

There is only one LT spot.  They need to get this line to gel with a new player in tomlinson, AVT moving to the right side etc.  Thy do not have time to be swapping back and forth at LT for a few weeks.  When the first snap is taken, Becton will be on the right side and he will stay there.  And if questions are asked, they are going to say, 'It just worked out that way and we decided to keep a good thing going."
They are not worried about the Becton camp as they havent had anything good to say about him anyway.

While I agree that Becton will wind up as RT I highly doubt that they don't at least give the appearance of a camp battle at LT or they lose the trust of the team and their words mean nothing. Unless Becton is OBVIOUSLY better, far and away the most dominant LT in the history of LT's he will be on the right.

Based on what they saw in camp last year they likely don't believe he can beat out Fant so this won't be an issue. Lawson beat him like a drum last year and with a whole year out "rehabbing" I doubt he suddenly got better on his own.

This is not going to be an issue.

TBD. If I had to guess I would say we might see the rookie get some playing time depending on how things shake out. I believe Edoga is also still on the team. 
If Egoda is the starting RT this year we are in BIG trouble.

• Upvote 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:41 AM, slats said:
This is projection. If they loved Fant at LT, he’d already have a new contract. They want Becton to win the job. 

I think the GM wants him to win the job because that makes his job easier. The coaching staff don't appear to have the same confidence and are going to make him earn it.

It is smart not to have extended Fant yet. Let's let it play out first. More will be clear in a month. TBH this sounds like we are talking about the battle between a QB and a backup QB

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So we’ve gone from “he has to beat Fant outright” to get his job back to “even if he dominates in preseason” he’s not getting his job back? ?

Yes, the premise of the OP is that even if Becton is a better LT than Fant it may not matter because Becton is so much better at RT than Fant. Dismissing the fact that this was also the case in Becton’s rookie season, and they didn’t even bother trying him on the right side. 

I understand everyone’s frustration with Becton, but it’s really in the franchise’s best interest to have him win and lock down the LT spot, and then let Fant walk next year (comp pick!) and replace him with a more physical RT. It may not happen, but that’s what they want to happen. I’ve also come to think that one of the reasons they’re moving AVT to RG is to put him in a better position to take over at RT if needed. 

• Upvote 2

Yes, the premise of the OP is that even if Becton is a better LT than Fant it may not matter because Becton is so much better at RT than Fant. Dismissing the fact that this was also the case in Becton’s rookie season, and they didn’t even bother trying him on the right side. 

I understand everyone’s frustration with Becton, but it’s really in the franchise’s best interest to have him win and lock down the LT spot, and then let Fant walk next year (comp pick!) and replace him with a more physical RT. It may not happen, but that’s what they want to happen. I’ve also come to think that one of the reasons they’re moving AVT to RG is to put him in a better position to take over at RT if needed. 
There is a lot of logic to this post, I'm just not sure I believe it yet.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, of course, he has an excuse.  

It wouldn’t be his body.  It would be contract related

As if not being at camp while under contract would be excusable if it were Becton.   

It’s not excusable for either. I’m just saying the circumstances would be different.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

If Egoda is the starting RT this year we are in BIG trouble.

If he makes the team, then he plays. If you think he is incapable, your issue is with JD for not replacing him. We aren't  a playoff team yet unless by some miracle,  one of our WR becomes Jamar Chase and Zach goes from being the worst rated QB in the NFL to one of the top. 

Playing Edoga is better than paying Fant top LT money. 

19 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If he makes the team, then he plays. If you think he is incapable, your issue is with JD for not replacing him. We aren't  a playoff team yet unless by some miracle,  one of our WR becomes Jamar Chase and Zach goes from being the worst rated QB in the NFL to one of the top. 

Cowbell. Can you explain the logic behind the last sentence in the post. About playing Edoga as opposed to paying Fant. George did a fantastic job last year and me personally would pay him somewhere between top tier LT and what he is making now. I think he should get about 13 million for three with 24-26 million guaranteed 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

We arent making the playoffs and it has nothing to do eith Egoda making the team or the WR's being all pro's. The division is a lot tougher than it used to be, this team has a long ways to go before maturing to the point of others in this division and the AFC has gotten immearuably better this year than int he past.

Playoffs aside, I dont know if he makes the team or not. I said if he STARTS then we are in a world of trouble and we are. If he is a part time back up then JD did his job. If JD didnt put anyone in front of him and he was a starter then your point would be valid. I think he is incapable of being a STARTER, not incapable of playing. Those are two different things.

and no, STARTING Egoda is NOT better than paying Fant. Not even close.

21 hours ago, CSNY said:

Cowbell. Can you explain the logic behind the last sentence in the post. About playing Edoga as opposed to paying Fant. George did a fantastic job last year and me personally would pay him somewhere between top tier LT and what he is making now. I think he should get about 13 million for three with 24-26 million guaranteed 

thank you

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Playing a backup OL (at best) instead of paying Fant what he’s worth makes no sense.  The idea is to keep your players who perform, not to refuse to pay them and replace them with a less talented player

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

We arent making the playoffs and it has nothing to do eith Egoda making the team or the WR's being all pro's. The division is a lot tougher than it used to be, this team has a long ways to go before maturing to the point of others in this division and the AFC has gotten immearuably better this year than int he past.

Playoffs aside, I dont know if he makes the team or not. I said if he STARTS then we are in a world of trouble and we are. If he is a part time back up then JD did his job. If JD didnt put anyone in front of him and he was a starter then your point would be valid. I think he is incapable of being a STARTER, not incapable of playing. Those are two different things.

and no, STARTING Egoda is NOT better than paying Fant. Not even close.

If what you mean by start as in start the season ahead of Becton or Fant, this isn't even a conversation.  If both of them are on the team, they will be the starters. I expect Fant to be traded before the trade deadline to a team that needs a T. Edoga will be the starter most likely at that point. I seriously think if JD doesn’t  trade Fant, that will be a colossal  fail on his part. If Fant was going to be long term, he would have been extended already so IMO JD has no intention of offering him a new deal which would mean paying him LT money. Edoga is by far a better choice than doing that. It is JD job also to have quality depth. I believe JD is comfortable enough with Edoga. I personally don't  see Edoga as the long term starter but if he has to start half a season at RT, I can live with it until the sign or draft someone

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Playing a backup OL (at best) instead of paying Fant what he’s worth makes no sense.  The idea is to keep your players who perform, not to refuse to pay them and replace them with a less talented player

By all indications, the Jets have no intention  of keeping Fant. Paying him to keep Edoga on the bench would be asinine.  

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If what you mean by start as in start the season ahead of Becton or Fant, this isn't even a conversation.  If both of them are on the team, they will be the starters. I expect Fant to be traded before the trade deadline to a team that needs a T. Edoga will be the starter most likely at that point. I seriously think if JD doesn’t  trade Fant, that will be a colossal  fail on his part. If Fant was going to be long term, he would have been extended already so IMO JD has no intention of offering him a new deal which would mean paying him LT money. Edoga is by far a better choice than doing that. It is JD job also to have quality depth. I believe JD is comfortable enough with Edoga. I personally don't  see Edoga as the long term starter but if he has to start half a season at RT, I can live with it until the sign or draft someone

Where do you think we’re going to find a T replacement for Fant, who’s as good as Fant, as young as Fant and who won’t want a long term deal?  
Why wouldn’t a competent GM wait to see if a Fant can back up his first highly successful season at T with another before paying him?  
The if in if they both make the team is dependent on Edoga having a camp where he proves he’s deserving of a backup spot over others

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

By all indications, the Jets have no intention  of keeping Fant. Paying him to keep Edoga on the bench would be asinine.  

What indicates this exactly?  That they haven’t paid him before they had to? 
Keeping backups on the bench isn’t asinine.  It’s where backups belong because they’re not starters

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What indicates this exactly?  That they haven’t paid him before they had to? 
Keeping backups on the bench isn’t asinine.  It’s where backups belong because they’re not starters

He would have been extended already. The Jets extended players this offseason they wanted to keep. Fant wasn't  one of them. T is an important position and Fant becomes a FA at the end of the season. I haven't  seen a word about an offer to him, have you? If the Jets were going to keep him, they would have signed him already instead of letting the clock run. Signing Fant would be expensive and I think JD will just find a cheaper replacement be it a drafted player or another FA. I happen to totally agree with this. Fant has played well for one year. That doesn't  earn you a 17 To 20 million  a year contract. 

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He would have been extended already. The Jets extended players this offseason they wanted to keep. Fant wasn't  one of them. T is an important position and Fant becomes a FA at the end of the season. I haven't  seen a word about an offer to him, have you? If the Jets were going to keep him, they would have signed him already instead of letting the clock run. Signing Fant would be expensive and I think JD will just find a cheaper replacement be it a drafted player or another FA. I happen to totally agree with this. Fant has played well for one year. That doesn't  earn you a 17 To 20 million  a year contract. 

I didn’t hear a word about most players new deals until they happen.  Why do the have to pay Fant without seeing that he’s more than a one year wonder.  There is no rush to sign him he’s got a year left on his contract.  Waiting for him to prove it before paying him is a far cry from saying it proves they don’t want him.  If both make the team there is almost no chance Fant gets traded mid season and Edoga gets the starting spot.  Again, where do you think you can find a 29 year old starting T who’s as good as Fant who’ll sign a cheap, short deal for less money? 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I didn’t hear a word about most players new deals until they happen.  Why do the have to pay Fant without seeing that he’s more than a one year wonder.  There is no rush to sign him he’s got a year left on his contract.  Waiting for him to prove it before paying him is a far cry from saying it proves they don’t want him.  If both make the team there is almost no chance Fant gets traded mid season and Edoga gets the starting spot.  Again, where do you think you can find a 29 year old starting T who’s as good as Fant who’ll sign a cheap, short deal for less money? 

The Jets would play an OL already on the team. They wouldn't  sign anyone. And I don't  believe the Jets think Fant is all that good or they would be trying to keep him. There is a possibility  that the team signs him during the season but you would be hearing they are at least talking to them. All I have heard is nothing. The leak of talks would come from Fants agent. There hasn't  been a word. I totally believe Fant is going to start and get traded to a team that believes he is worth a day 2 or 3 pick. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I don’t see how you come to this conclusion.   By reports, the Jets have interest but of course both parties have to agree on his value.   If he replicates last season this year and the team is playing well, I see no scenario where he is traded during the season.  If they can’t sign him and he goes elsewhere next off season, they will end up with a third or fourth rd comp pick.  

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I don’t see how you come to this conclusion.   By reports, the Jets have interest but of course both parties have to agree on his value.   If he replicates last season this year and the team is playing well, I see no scenario where he is traded during the season.  If they can’t sign him and he goes elsewhere next off season, they will end up with a third or fourth rd comp pick.  

Can you post these reports? It would be the first time I heard the two sides were talking. 

The Jets would play an OL already on the team. They wouldn't  sign anyone. And I don't  believe the Jets think Fant is all that good or they would be trying to keep him. There is a possibility  that the team signs him during the season but you would be hearing they are at least talking to them. All I have heard is nothing. The leak of talks would come from Fants agent. There hasn't  been a word. I totally believe Fant is going to start and get traded to a team that believes he is worth a day 2 or 3 pick. 

I agree they’re going to play a T already on the team, Fant.  Not Edoga.  Edoga is lucky if he makes the team, he’s a scrub backup who leaves you cringing if he has to enter a game.  I don’t get the whole we’d hear if they were trying to sign Fant.   JFM signing came out of nowhere as have other signings over the years.  The Jets aren’t trading Fant for a day 3 pick and then starting Edoga.  The Jets have Fant competing for the starting LT spot, the most important spot on the OL and you have him as a mid season trade for a day 3 pick?  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, More Cowbell said:

Chuma Edoga may not make it beyond the first round of cuts.

• Upvote 2