Would you rather ...

What would you rather see happen?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather see happen?

• Flacco Leads Jets to AFCCG Loss
    • Wilson Leads Jets to 8-9 no playoff season but looks like FQB

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Perfect is the enemy of the good. For me, making the playoffs is a successful season and a helluva lotta fun as a fan.

Right, but Wilson looking like a certifiable Franchise QB for nearly a full season would likely mean several playoff appearances ahead, no?

So based on the poll wording I have to go with that option.  But short of Wilson looking like a FQB this season, I'd take a playoff season with ANY quarterback.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right, but Wilson looking like a certifiable Franchise QB for nearly a full season would likely mean several playoff appearances ahead, no?

So based on the poll wording I have to go with that option.  But short of Wilson looking like a FQB this season, I'd take a playoff season with ANY quarterback.  

Yes, I also voted for that option. Unfortunately, I define FQB as a QB who produces like one. Not one where you need a decoder ring to see a secret-QB-in-hiding despite horrendous performance.

Point being, no matter how he produces, some will always consider him a FQB because of ceiling, potential, lack o'dem weaponz, or a myriad of other excuses.

• Upvote 1

the question should have been that Flacco leads us to the AFCCG with a chance to win it and the SB. to guarantee a loss doesnt make this a fair poll.

so know if you ask me would i choose a Flacco SB and Zach being a bust or a Zach 8-9 season, but we make the playoffs with him in most of his 15 years here.

i choose SB. just because if Zach is a FQB that doesn't guarantee us a SB. you take the SB when you can get it. you start Flacco and if he goes 2-0  or even 1-1 you keep playing him until he starts to suck. it would probably help Zach to be the #2 QB on a SB team. then we still have him under contract for 2 more seasons to see what he is.

82...98....09...10....seasons that we will never forget. if 22 can be another season like that then i say lets do it. 

and i disagree with this poll that i cant have both. will sitting Zach hurt him from being a FQB. if anything, it should make him better. Jimmy G, Rodgers, even Mike White for you fans of his. sitting has help them all. but he only sits if you have a really good QB in front of you. 

• Upvote 1

I love people framing the facts to rationalize their votes.  It's a binary choice - lose the AFC title game with Flacco vs Wilson shows he's the real deal in an 8-9 season.  It's a slam dunk for Wilson as the FQB and a decade of opportunity vs one good year and the pain we all felt in 82, 98, 10 with really no hope of repeating the "dream season" that ends like all of the others in the past 52 years - with no title

I'm just not seeing the Flacco adulation year - or the expectations.  Flacco is not Brady going to Tampa or Manning to Denver.  He's been here for two seasons already. Most people on this board went ballistic when JD brought him back last season.

He has not been a full-time starting QB since 2017.  He is 6-16 since 2018.  He is 26-38 since 2014. He has never made one single Pro Bowl.  Flacco is not the future, and I don't think he is the present either.  He's fine for a game or two. That's it.  Some people just desperately want Wilson gone that they will go to any length to get there.   First it was Mike White - the 5 quarter wonder. Now it's Flacco.  Wilson needs to play this season. If he doesn't look like a FQB by season's end, then plan to draft another QB and/or go the veteran route (but it would have to be a proven high quality veteran like Brady, Stafford, Wilson, Manning - not some failed retread like Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Bridgewater....

This poll kind of seems like JN's version of the famous Stanford Marshmallow Experiment on delayed gratification:

This explanation is from an article and is not mine: 

In the 1960s, a Stanford professor named Walter Mischel began conducting a series of important psychological studies.

During his experiments, Mischel and his team tested hundreds of children — most of them around the ages of 4 and 5 years old — and revealed what is now believed to be one of the most important characteristics for success in health, work, and life.

The Marshmallow Experiment

The experiment began by bringing each child into a private room, sitting them down in a chair, and placing a marshmallow on the table in front of them.

At this point, the researcher offered a deal to the child.

The researcher told the child that he was going to leave the room and that if the child did not eat the marshmallow while he was away, then they would be rewarded with a second marshmallow. However, if the child decided to eat the first one before the researcher came back, then they would not get a second marshmallow.

So the choice was simple: one treat right now or two treats later.

The researcher left the room for 15 minutes.

As you can imagine, the footage of the children waiting alone in the room was rather entertaining. Some kids jumped up and ate the first marshmallow as soon as the researcher closed the door. Others wiggled and bounced and scooted in their chairs as they tried to restrain themselves, but eventually gave in to temptation a few minutes later. And finally, a few of the children did manage to wait the entire time.

Published in 1972, this popular study became known as The Marshmallow Experiment, but it wasn't the treat that made it famous. The interesting part came years later.

The Power of Delayed Gratification

As the years rolled on and the children grew up, the researchers conducted follow up studies and tracked each child's progress in a number of areas. 

The children who were willing to delay gratification and waited to receive the second marshmallow ended up having higher SAT scores, lower levels of substance abuse, lower likelihood of obesity, better responses to stress, better social skills as reported by their parents, and generally better scores in a range of other life measures. (You can see the followup studies here, here, and here.)

The researchers followed each child for more than 40 years and over and over again, the group who waited patiently for the second marshmallow succeed in whatever capacity they were measuring. 

I want JD, Saleh and the rest of Jets management, along with the fans - to be in the 2nd group.  Pass up the less than satisfying immediate gratification of one playoff season for the long term sustained benefits of finding a FQB.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

How many of you people didn’t actually read the question?  Option B is Zach turns out to be the answer, we just miss the playoffs this season.  My goodness, this is unbelievable.

it doesn't say he turns out to be the answer. it says he looks like a FQB. as in not definitely but looks like it can be true. i've seen too manmy "he looks like a FQB" guys come through thgis organization. pennington is a big one and darnold is the most recent when he had that really nice 2nd half of season that looked like he was gonna be a franchise qb. it never pans out. give me a championship game and take it from there. i hope i'm wrong, but wilson looks like he is gonna follow in sanchez' footsteps where the best thing he did was bang kate upton

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I love people framing the facts to rationalize their votes.  It's a binary choice - lose the AFC title game with Flacco vs Wilson shows he's the real deal in an 8-9 season.  It's a slam dunk for Wilson as the FQB and a decade of opportunity vs one good year and the pain we all felt in 82, 98, 10 with really no hope of repeating the "dream season" that ends like all of the others in the past 52 years - with no title

You call it pain. I call it the most enjoyable seasons of my lifetime.

9 hours ago, neckdemon said:

it doesn't say he turns out to be the answer. it says he looks like a FQB. as in not definitely but looks like it can be true. i've seen too manmy "he looks like a FQB" guys come through thgis organization. pennington is a big one and darnold is the most recent when he had that really nice 2nd half of season that looked like he was gonna be a franchise qb. it never pans out. give me a championship game and take it from there. i hope i'm wrong, but wilson looks like he is gonna follow in sanchez' footsteps where the best thing he did was bang kate upton

One marshmallow for you.

14 hours ago, genot said:

To me the only way Flacco should play is after Wilson fails on the field. After the 1st 8 games, we should know if we made the right choice in drafting Wilson. He has more than enough options as to where to go with the football. 

And if that happens, you play My Quite or the Grey Cup winner.  We know who Flacco is.

4 hours ago, GandWFan said:

And if that happens, you play My Quite or the Grey Cup winner.  We know who Flacco is.

Flacco isn't the future. Still have to play to win. If he gives us the best chance to win. You play him. Only if Wilson shows he isn't the future here.

I picked Flacco, albeit with an *. It depends on who we knock off in the playoffs to get to the AFCCG. If we kick the Pats out in the wild card round and then send the Bills home in the conference game, that would be very, very nice. Zack can hone his skills playing Madden while Flacco rips out the hearts of our two worst enemies. We just need CJ Mosely to work on his "CANT WAIT" take for after the Bills game!

9 minutes ago, genot said:

Flacco isn't the future. Still have to play to win. If he gives us the best chance to win. You play him. Only if Wilson shows he isn't the future here.

Disagree.  If Wilson is not the answer, then you still need to find a viable alternative.  In season you check out My Quite and the Gray Cup guy.  After the season, you have all the info to form a plan, be that a free agent, trade, draft pick or someone already on the roster.  Playing Flacco tells you nothing you don't already know.  A useless data point.

5 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Disagree.  If Wilson is not the answer, then you still need to find a viable alternative.  In season you check out My Quite and the Gray Cup guy.  After the season, you have all the info to form a plan, be that a free agent, trade, draft pick or someone already on the roster.  Playing Flacco tells you nothing you don't already know.  A useless data point.

Yea but, White and Stevler aren't the future here. You play the QB that gives you the best chance of winning, and draft another QB, when the time comes. Of course, that's if Wilson busts. Let's hope that doesn't happen. I don't want Flacco under center. It means we failed again to find a long term.answer at QB.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Yea but, White and Stevler aren't the future here. You play the QB that gives you the best chance of winning, and draft another QB, when the time comes. Of course, that's if Wilson busts. Let's hope that doesn't happen. I don't want Flacco under center. It means we failed again to find a long term.answer at QB.

You never know.  Brady was a 6th round pick who owes his career to Mo Lewis.  Otherwise maybe he never sees the field and stays a backup to 1st round pick Bledsoe.  Maybe with Stevler we catch lightning in a bottle.  Not interested in seeing Flacco take another snap after Zach returns.

3 hours ago, GandWFan said:

You never know.  Brady was a 6th round pick who owes his career to Mo Lewis.  Otherwise maybe he never sees the field and stays a backup to 1st round pick Bledsoe.  Maybe with Stevler we catch lightning in a bottle.  Not interested in seeing Flacco take another snap after Zach returns.

It's a legit view. The Jets never catch lightning in a bottle. We get hit by lightning. Just saying.

• Upvote 1