Chubb scoring!

English Jet

Could someone explain why Chubb scoring and not taking the knee (whatever that is) helped us? 

2nd full year as a full time Jets fan although "supported" for 30 years, I'm still learning the rules haha so sorry for what could be a stupid question.

P.s What a finish to the game, definitely hooked, watch every game now. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, mrcoops said:

We were out of timeouts, so couldn't stop the clock.

Thinking is, if Chubb hadn't scored, the Browns could basically have kneeled on the ball for 4 straight plays and run out the clock for the win.

Good job we "let him score". ;-)  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, English Jet said:

Could someone explain why Chubb scoring and not taking the knee (whatever that is) helped us? 

2nd full year as a full time Jets fan although "supported" for 30 years, I'm still learning the rules haha so sorry for what could be a stupid question.

P.s What a finish to the game, definitely hooked, watch every game now. 

Him going into the endzone leaves the time on the clock for the Jets to have with possession.

If he lay down at the one they get a fresh set of downs which they can use to run down the clock.

Basically they got the points but they conceded control.

• Upvote 1

I find it funny folks are getting hung up on the Chubb one, since Hunt antics immediately before were actually waaaay worse.  Chubb could've avoided the endzone in order to run out the clock, but in fairness he did only have about a one yard window to do that in (given he needed get beyond the first down marker for them to kneel), so a little easier said than done.

Hunt on the other hand, ran out of bounds to stop the clock for the Jets after getting what could have been a game-sealing first down twice.  That Chubb play is never even run if Hunt wasn't a complete idiot multiple times over, which is likely what got him pulled from the game in favor of Chubb during the drive.

Chubb of course then makes the point of avoiding going out himself, only to cut back inside, get a TD, and well... the rest is history.  Definitely a total lack of awareness in either case, and a massive failure by both the players and coaches.  I mean, how did none of the HC/OC/RB coach call this out, especially after the first time it happened?   However, other than hindsight, no one would ever say it's somehow worse to go up two scores than to repeatedly stop the clock for your opponent when up by only one score.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

I find it funny folks are getting hung up on the Chubb one, since Hunt antics immediately before were actually waaaay worse.  Chubb could've avoided the endzone in order to run out the clock, but in fairness he did only have about a one yard window to do that in (given he needed get beyond the first down marker for them to kneel), so a little easier said than done.

Hunt on the other hand, ran out of bounds to stop the clock for the Jets after getting what could have been a game-sealing first down twice.  That Chubb play is never even run if Hunt wasn't a complete idiot multiple times over, which is likely what got him pulled from the game in favor of Chubb during the drive.

Chubb of course then makes the point of avoiding going out himself, only to cut back inside, get a TD, and well... the rest is history.  Definitely a total lack of awareness in either case, and a massive failure by both the players and coaches.  I mean, how did none of the HC/OC/RB coach call this out, especially after the first time it happened?   However, other than hindsight, no one would ever say it's somehow worse to go up two scores than to repeatedly stop the clock for your opponent when up by only one score.

I remember you noting this in the game thread and laughing about how irrelevant it was.

?

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

I remember you noting this in the game thread and laughing about how irrelevant it was.

?

I'll freely admit, I really didn't actually expect it to make much of a difference.  I just couldn't help but be amazed at how unnecessarily difficult they were making it for themselves to run out a clock.  I guess it worked out.

• Upvote 1