Verlander to the Mets

doitny

Cornering the market on 40 year old pitchers.  Hard for me to get too excited about this signing.  I get that we needed to replace deGrom and there were not a lot of options beyond Verlander and Rodon.  Verlander was great last year, but he will be 40 next year.  Scherzer is 39 and already started showing signs of age last year with a IL stint and fading down the stretch.   These guys can't pitch forever.

Hopefully I will be more excited about this one in October next year than I am now.  High risk signing which could pay off big time.

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Cornering the market on 40 year old pitchers.  Hard for me to get too excited about this signing.  I get that we needed to replace deGrom and there were not a lot of options beyond Verlander and Rodon.  Verlander was great last year, but he will be 40 next year.  Scherzer is 39 and already started showing signs of age last year with a IL stint and fading down the stretch.   These guys can't pitch forever.

Hopefully I will be more excited about this one in October next year than I am now.  High risk signing which could pay off big time.

I hear ya but I feel these are the 2 dudes that can continue to be pretty dominate into the 40's

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I mostly stopped following baseball like 15 years ago, so I'm absolutely amazed that people are still getting excited about signing a guy that I remember being awesome back then.

He just had arguably the best season of his career. It's a high risk signing but if you were ever going to take a chance on a 40-year-old it's Justin Verlander.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t hate it, you’re all in with mad max deal. Got no pitching on the horizon. Kinda have no choice but to pull the trigger on this one. 

Bring back Nimmo and Ottavino

Roll it back one more time see if the season was a fluke or if the playoffs were a fluke 

Cant wait to see Kate in the stands in the HOT DOG DAYS of SUMMER!!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He just had arguably the best season of his career. It's a high risk signing but if you were ever going to take a chance on a 40-year-old it's Justin Verlander.

Every aging pitcher should get TJ surgery. Folks almost always seem to come back stronger these days!

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Every aging pitcher should get TJ surgery. Folks almost always seem to come back stronger these days!

Some comparisons to Max will be inevitable, but that comparison also favors Verlander. It's fair to argue that all the time Verlander had off for TJ means he isn't your average middle-aged guy. Not only did he have extended time off and thus less mileage, but he took proper time to recover. Max looks like he's slowly breaking down and has not had that type of time off, so he's got the mileage and none of the recovery. Hard to argue with the results regardless. Verlander pitched dominant well into the postseason last year and with DeGrom gone he's worth the risk. It's not like they missed out on anyone in favor of Verlander at this point anyways. What was the alternative? Jake for 5? No thanks. No brainer to do JV for 2-3.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t hate it, you’re all in with mad max deal. Got no pitching on the horizon. Kinda have no choice but to pull the trigger on this one. 

Bring back Nimmo and Ottavino

Roll it back one more time see if the season was a fluke or if the playoffs were a fluke 

I'd still like to see them work something out with Bassitt if he can come down from the 5-year demand. He's a perfect pitcher for this team and for Citi. 

Cohen and the Mets are all in no rebuilding Stevie will put up the capital to keep uis competitive so not as worrisome with two 40 year old pitchers as I might be

Verlander had a dominant year last year.  and less wear and tear coming off injury 

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

Trae Turner going to the Phillies makes me more nervous...

Mets got a long way to go to catch the Braves and Phils.

11 years - $300 mil at 29 years old. If they get 5 years at his current level and 3 more at a decreased level they're still looking at 3 years lost wages totaling $81 million!

He got a better contract than Bryce Harper! 13 - $330m

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

11 years - $300 mil at 29 years old. If they get 5 years at his current level and 3 more at a decreased level they're still looking at 3 years lost wages totaling $81 million!

He got a better contract than Bryce Harper! 13 - $330m

You have to pay to play and Trea Turner is a unicorn. 

53 minutes ago, JiFields said:

That's all fine and great but the Jets dont have a Trea Turner on the team, nobody does, other than the Phillies.  lol

The point of the spreadsheet was to illustrate how much more money we will need to spend to keep pace with the Phils & Braves! We will need to go far beyond $300m. If read correctly, I think we're already $52m over the LT threshold.

"We Love You, Steve"!!!

According to Spotrac, the Phillies will now head into the 2023 season with a projected tax payroll of $217 million.

The defending National League champions will have one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball. Here's what the lineup could look like once superstar Bryce Harper is able to return from offseason Tommy John surgery—expected to be sometime around the All-Star break as a designated hitter and later in the season as the right-fielder:
  1. Trea Turner, SS
  2. Kyle Schwarber, DH
  3. J.T. Realmuto, C
  4. Bryce Harper, RF
  5. Nick Castellanos, LF
  6. Rhys Hoskins, 1B
  7. Bryson Stott, 2B
  8. Alec Bohm, 3B
  9. Brandon Marsh, CF

41 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The point of the spreadsheet was to illustrate how much more money we will need to spend to keep pace with the Phils & Braves! We will need to go far beyond $300m. If read correctly, I think we're already $52m over the LT threshold.

"We Love You, Steve"!!!

According to Spotrac, the Phillies will now head into the 2023 season with a projected tax payroll of $217 million.

The defending National League champions will have one of the most dangerous lineups in baseball. Here's what the lineup could look like once superstar Bryce Harper is able to return from offseason Tommy John surgery—expected to be sometime around the All-Star break as a designated hitter and later in the season as the right-fielder:
  1. Trea Turner, SS
  2. Kyle Schwarber, DH
  3. J.T. Realmuto, C
  4. Bryce Harper, RF
  5. Nick Castellanos, LF
  6. Rhys Hoskins, 1B
  7. Bryson Stott, 2B
  8. Alec Bohm, 3B
  9. Brandon Marsh, CF

Feel like the Phillies walk away with a prize acquisition every other off season

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We got a 1st rounder as compensation for losing Jake.  Did we lose one for signing Verlander?

The right-hander, who will turn 40 in February, is ineligible for a qualifying offer (one year, $19.65 million for 2023) because he was offered one last year, turning it down.Nov

• Upvote 1