Do the Jets even need a franchise QB?

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

100%

Is it because we are shell shocked that Zach hadn't taken the leap?

Is it exhausting emotionally going from the starting QB that we so desperatly want to succeed and then pivoting to the back up while still in a playoff race? 

A bit in shock that Mike White is playing well considering his pre season was so poor?

All of it?

We’ve been conditioned to think it’s not possible when all signs, right now, point to it being the opposite. 

Teammates needs to start protecting MW with more than words now, though. OL has to do it through actions. They can’t let him take shots like the Buffalo game again  or he won’t be long for the sport. 

• Upvote 2

I think you should always be looking for one if you don't have one, but you should always make sure you have someone who can just play the position and understand the offense. Mike White looks like someone who can play the position and understands the offense. 

Where the Jets go wrong in my opinion is that they draft a guy they hope can be a franchise QB and just make sure everyone else that could threaten that player starting from day 1 is out of the way. 

• Upvote 1

I would break down the current list of QBs into many different groups rather than one long list and base it on more than just this season, but on past seasons and future potential.

Elite

• Mahomes
  • Allen
  • Burrow
  • Herbert

Franchise but Can They Win a SB?

• Jackson
  • Watson
  • Prescott
  • Hurts

Up and Coming

• Tua
  • Lawrence

Good Veterans with Questions

• Carr
  • Garappolo
  • Cousins
  • Goff
  • Murray

Future HOFs Who Appear Done

• Brady
  • Rodgers
  • Wilson
  • Stafford (injured?)

Second Wind

• Geno Smith

Young and Too Early to Tell

• Mac Jones
  • Fields
  • D Jones
  • White
  • Pickett

Incomplete and Unproven

• Ridder
  • Lance
  • Willis

Fading and Failing Vets - no hope

• Ryan
  • Wentz
  • Tannehill
  • Dalton
  • Winston
  • Mariotta

Career Back Ups

• Trubisky
  • Minshew (some promise)
  • Brissett
  • Heinicke
  • Darnold
  • Mayfield

So who on this list can win a SB? I'd say very few.  The top 3 groups would be the list - Elite, Franchise, and Up and Coming.  You could win with the next group if everything else was perfect  - Good vets ( this would be where Eli Manning would have been listed in the past).  The rest of the list is either too early to tell or highly unlikely.  

Bottom line.  Without an elite level QB, a team can make the playoffs, but winning the SB is highly unlikely if not impossible.  This is why drafting Wilson was worth it. You have to take a swing to land an elite QB.  

20 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

what is your goal? to try to sneak into the playoffs every couple of years with good rosters and JAG QB's? Than no, you don't need one.

If its to try to have a legit chance year in and year out to win a SB, then yes, you very much need one.

Exactly

The Tua and Taylor Heineke stories are nice...but ultimately doesn't mean anything until they have deep playoff success...

Give me a franchise guy every day of the week. Given our current situation we may have to deal with a placeholder stop gap type of QB for a few years however

Do you absolutely need a top 10 QB (if that is how we are defining 'Franchise QB') to be competitive? Absolutely not. 

We have seen teams with some combination of great offensive weapons and/or running games and/or O-lines and/or defenses be very competitive with average to above average QBs or average to above average QBs who are having very good seasons. And yes, some of them can be considered 'system QBs'. 

But if you want to truly compete for the big enchilada. I think you DO need a top QB. Or at the very least a top QB talent- even if his stats for the year don't equate to top 10.

Here's a list of starting SB QBs going back to 2015 (random). The only 'non-Franchise' QB that I can see on this list who WON is Foles. Jimmy G and Goff made it to the big game but lost. You can argue Manning was barely able to throw a football by the time he won that SB but he is still a Franchise talent and if I had ONE game, I would take him over a lot of other guys in a blink. He's a true HOFer. 

Stafford, Burrow

Brady, Mahomes

Jimmy G, Mahomes (winner)

Brady (winner), Goff

Brady, Foles (winner)

Brady, Ryan

Newton, Manning

Brady, R.Wilson

So yeah, IMO, its hard to argue that to WIN a SB you need a 'Franchise' type talent at QB.

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I would break down the current list of QBs into many different groups rather than one long list and base it on more than just this season, but on past seasons and future potential.

Elite

• Mahomes
  • Allen
  • Burrow
  • Herbert

Franchise but Can They Win a SB?

• Jackson
  • Watson
  • Prescott
  • Hurts

Up and Coming

• Tua
  • Lawrence

Good Veterans with Questions

• Carr
  • Garappolo
  • Cousins
  • Goff
  • Murray

Future HOFs Who Appear Done

• Brady
  • Rodgers
  • Wilson
  • Stafford (injured?)

Second Wind

• Geno Smith

Young and Too Early to Tell

• Mac Jones
  • Fields
  • D Jones
  • White
  • Pickett

Incomplete and Unproven

• Ridder
  • Lance
  • Willis

Fading and Failing Vets - no hope

• Ryan
  • Wentz
  • Tannehill
  • Dalton
  • Winston
  • Mariotta

Career Back Ups

• Trubisky
  • Minshew (some promise)
  • Brissett
  • Heinicke
  • Darnold
  • Mayfield

So who on this list can win a SB? I'd say very few.  The top 3 groups would be the list - Elite, Franchise, and Up and Coming.  You could win with the next group if everything else was perfect  - Good vets ( this would be where Eli Manning would have been listed in the past).  The rest of the list is either too early to tell or highly unlikely.  

Bottom line.  Without an elite level QB, a team can make the playoffs, but winning the SB is highly unlikely if not impossible.  This is why drafting Wilson was worth it. You have to take a swing to land an elite QB.  

Elite

• Mahomes
  • Allen
  • Burrow
  • Herbert
  • Mike White
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2022 at 3:32 PM, BloodGreen said:

Excellent post. This has been my thoughts exactly. If you have skill position and defensive talent throughout, a game manager type QB can win.

On 12/13/2022 at 3:53 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

beauty of the system...just need someone ro run the offense and make some plays now and then. Set up so you dont need a brady or rogers.

When you look at the teams that win...  they have a franchise QB. All this fluff stuff is garbage.  How many teams have had a solid 5 year run without a franchise QB?  

When you look at the teams that win...  they have a franchise QB. All this fluff stuff is garbage.  How many teams have had a solid 5 year run without a franchise QB?  

I don’t think there are too many teams that made a “solid 5 year run”. Pats and Packers come to mind immediately. You’re correct that a FQB leads to more consistent success, but my point was that you can win without one if you have enough overall talent. Maybe not consistently for years, but I’ll take one Championship for starters.

On 12/14/2022 at 11:44 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think you should always be looking for one if you don't have one, but you should always make sure you have someone who can just play the position and understand the offense. Mike White looks like someone who can play the position and understands the offense. 

Where the Jets go wrong in my opinion is that they draft a guy they hope can be a franchise QB and just make sure everyone else that could threaten that player starting from day 1 is out of the way. 

This right here is dead on correct.

• Always be looking for THAT DUDE at QB

• Always have a guy who can keep the team competitive while you’re looking for or to back up THAT DUDE when you find him.

• Upvote 1