Ummmmm Gardner Minshew playing

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lot of assumptions in there. JD should give Minshew his best offer, whatever that entails, and then it comes down to what else is out there. Removing oneself from the poker table before the hand is dealt might limit disappointment but it completely removes the chance that holy sh*t you may actually have the best cards. 

I think the difference with Minshew is that he’d be the chips-all-in move for Douglas and Saleh. They’re not gonna live to pick another QB if Minshew—on starter money—isn’t the goods. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Really?

I think Minshew is exactly the guy you can get on a friendly-ish deal - NFL teams have been wary of buying into his seemingly decent stats to this point - Not sure some good games for the best offence in football will suddenly turn him into a hot commodity.

If he's asking for a lot more than White then I'd just move on tbh. Ideally you'd get both of them on high end backup/borderline starter level contracts for 2 years or so and you let them battle it out. Even if you want to go with White not getting a quality backup would be some extreme negligence given his struggles to stay healthy. 

We can’t say two things here—that Minshew is good enough to sign as a starter…but he’s not going to get starter money around the league(?) Which is it?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the difference with Minshew is that he’d be the chips-all-in move for Douglas and Saleh. They’re not gonna live to pick another QB if Minshew—on starter money—isn’t the goods. 

Ummmmmmm alas I think that you maybe right!

Well, I for one am willing to risk JD and Saleh's careers on my fan based hunch!!!! :) 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I like Minshew but can’t see him being the guy brought in for JD’s potential last QB swing. I expect proven starters like Jackson/Carr/Garrapollo/Tannehill/etc.

I can see Tannehill being the one ... my god what a glorious disaster that would be.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A Josh McCown-like prove it deal. 2/$24mm with incentives.

That’s pretty fair. It’s interesting, your hesitation with Minshews contract is exactly my hesitation with MW. I don’t want to get locked in, but the player isn’t going to sign for peanuts.
Isn’t it kinda crazy to be looking at 2 guys in the same category? it’s probably going to wind up as a pick one deal. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Larz said:

That’s pretty fair. It’s interesting, your hesitation with Minshews contract is exactly my hesitation with MW. I don’t want to get locked in, but the player isn’t going to sign for peanuts.
Isn’t it kinda crazy to be looking at 2 guys in the same category? it’s probably going to wind up as a pick one deal. 

Which is more durable ?

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

What a shame that Minshew could’ve been had for less than we gave up to have Flacco exhumed and driven up I-95. JD really pooched the screw on the QB position. Here’s hoping he’s a Lenny Dykstra and not a Billy Beane.

Signing Minshew as a stop gap and not drafting a QB was a thought I had back in 2021....I really wanted nothing to do with Zach....another Jetsy goof in hindsight....

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I can see Tannehill being the one ... my god what a glorious disaster that would be.

Andy Dalton will be the starting QB for the 7-10 New York Jets next year. 

Mike White will end up with the Patriots, beat out Mac Zappe and make the playoffs.

Jets football.

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Minshew is probably the better player, but I don’t want to be married to either of them yet. White would be a low-key, mid-expectation, but universally popular signing. Minshew would be like jumping into the Carr/Garoppolo realm of expectation.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Make no mistake, White deserves to be QB1.  I want Minshew as the QB2.  An expensive one, sure, but I’m tired of sh*tty plan B’s.  Minshew can move the ball.  9.6 YPA today.

He won't come in for that.

If you sign him, it's an open competition.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Minshew hasn't been a FA in his career. He looks the role when he plays and has the stats to back it up. About a 3.5/1 career TD/int ratio 

What does he need to do for NFL teams to think he's starter worthy that he hasn't already done?

Lol. Tell me a team he will go to that will “guarantee “ him a starter position. Likely to a bad team who may be drafting a qb in top 10. Which I doubt he will want to go to knowing it’s not only the jets who would push him out for their golden boy high draft pick. There are not many teams who A will have an open spot, and B won’t be drafting a qb early in first round. Either way, he won’t get that clear cut starter $$$..

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You would have to! 

You really think a team is hitching their wagon to Minshew definitively for multiple years? If a team were going to why haven't they made a move for him already?  

At best I think he'll be given a chance to compete for a job but he's probably wary that he'll be used as a stop-gap for a draft pick again. He wouldn't be that here and the guy he'd be competing with is even less established than he is. 

The Jets are in a weird situation where the team/fanbase has PTSD from drafting QB's and they want a guy that can win now. I doubt many other fanbases are quite as infatuated with White or Minshew as their teams are in different situations - They'll want to aim higher and likely draft their own guy. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Signing Minshew as a stop gap and not drafting a QB was a thought I had back in 2021....I really wanted nothing to do with Zach....another Jetsy goof in hindsight....

Except it was foresight in your — and many other’s — case.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

The Jets already have plenty of backups. 

Gardner Minshew's stats which I have posted in this thread are NOT back-up stats,  He has QBR of over 93 ----- a TD 44 to 14 and a completion percentage well over 60%.

And most importantly he received those stats on a BAD team, with a BAD OL, and not with the Eagles as people who keep saying look at the Eagle's line tonight keep implying!!

I have nothing against Mike White but he has played in 7 NFL games and has not had the pressure of being the man yet.  Look, everyone loves the Back-Up just ask that NFL Great......................................... Brooks Bollinger!  

I say bring back Mike White, and let him compete with Minshew for the starter position, with Zach Wilson pulling up the rear that should get us into the playoffs next year and make us a dangerous team going forward.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He won't come in for that.

If you sign him, it's an open competition.

The good news is MW has shown he doesn’t turn into a quivering Jello-mold baking in the desert sun over Utah’s Bonneville Salt Flats at the C-word…. Competition. 

• Upvote 2

Minshew = Jimmy G. = Dalton = Carr = Mayfield = Darnold = Jones = Smith = Teddy 2 Gloves.

I mean, lets be real here, they're all the same dude just a different variation of each other and we know so much more about all those dudes than Mike White, who's story has had pages ripped out due to sheer negligence at the handling of the QB position and the coddling of a one Zach Wilson.

So, bring back White, I mean, wtf are we doing here?  He can play, fans love him, team loves him, he wont cost much and he's true do whatever it takes leader.  Make him gain weight, build the OL so he doesnt die back there and lets F'ing go.

Or, reach for sky w/ Jameis Winston if he shakes loose. @Jetsfan80

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, JiFields said:

He can play, fans love him, team loves him, he wont cost much and he's true do whatever it takes leader.  Make him gain weight, build the OL so he doesnt die back there and lets F'ing go.

Imagine a 240 lb Mike White with a summer full of starter reps on an offense with Breece Hall, AVT, and a real X receiver to replace that stiff Corey Davis. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Minshew = Jimmy G. = Dalton = Carr = Mayfield = Darnold = Jones = Smith = Teddy 2 Gloves.

I mean, lets be real here, they're all the same dude just a different variation of each other and we know so much more about all those dudes than Mike White, who's story has had pages ripped out due to sheer negligence at the handling of the QB position and the coddling of a one Zach Wilson.

So, bring back White, I mean, wtf are we doing here?  He can play, fans love him, team loves him, he wont cost much and he's true do whatever it takes leader.  Make him gain weight, build the OL so he doesnt die back there and lets F'ing go.

This, 100%

6 minutes ago, JiFields said:

No one is suggesting most of the guys you list as MW replacements. We want an end to the all-eggs-in-one-basket strategy for any QB unless and until you’re paying FQB money to an actual FQB and then are almost forced to go all in because of the cap.

But if this team’s backup plan to MW is Strev or a Luke Falkesque type or — heaven forbid — Twerp Wilson… no bueno.

• Upvote 2