Derek Carr - Opinions from Raider Nation

Green DNA

47 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Derek Carr has been a legitimate NFL starting quarterback 

Zach Wilson is toilet paper stuck to the bottom a ? 

It's pretty obvious that Carr has been a long term starter and put up better numbers than Wilson.  We are paying for future performance, not past performance and its seems like a bunch of Raiders fans want him gone based on his performance this year.

• Upvote 2

Unless you have mahomes, Allen, Herbert and etc, fan bases will always want someone better. Some jet fans like carr because he’s better than anyone we’ve seen under center center sine Pennington. Carr is the epitome of an average qb. The raider fans want more than an avg QB while jets fans would gladly take an average qb. If we’re gonna go that route, I’d rather save some cap space and go for a system guy like jimmy g or an upside guy like minshew. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

It's pretty obvious that Carr has been a long term starter and put up better numbers than Wilson.  We are paying for future performance, not past performance and its seems like a bunch of Raiders fans want him gone based on his performance this year.

I don’t want Carr either 

But it’s disrespectful and kind of ridiculous to compare him to a bust like ZW

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Unless you have mahomes, Allen, Herbert and etc, fan bases will always want someone better. Some jet fans like carr because he’s better than anyone we’ve seen under center center sine Pennington. Carr is the epitome of an average qb. The raider fans want more than an avg QB while jets fans would gladly take an average qb. If we’re gonna go that route, I’d rather save some cap space and go for a system guy like jimmy g or an upside guy like minshew. 

Average QB is only enough if defense, special teams and coaching is elite. Always an injury away from disaster. Elite QB’s can gobble up the short comings of a teams weakness or two. 

Difficult to get excited about having Carr here.  We're thinking about him as our QB while assuming all the positives about our team for next season (the defense will play as well or better, no injuries, JD will add to the weapinz, etc).  But in reality, we'll probably be underwhelmed by him in games against the better teams.  I think we'll feel like we're more pretender than contender, but we'll be stuck with him for like 3 years.

I know it's pointless (too late to do anything about it now) but I've been thinking more and more about those 2 late wins from 2020 and how they set up Jacksonville for the next decade, while screwing us.  I don't ever want to hear "you're not a real fan if you root for your team to lose" again. 

I hate the idea of tanking but I remember at the time feeling like Jax was doing it.  I could be wrong but I think they benched Minshew for Glennon the final 2 games.  (Though maybe he was hurt?)

In any case, I don't think the FO believes in MW (and don't think JD will bring him back) so that leaves us at square 1 at the most important position on the field.  

23 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Whoever our QB is next year, he's going to have to overcome Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, and Herbert just to get us to the Super Bowl.  And that doesn't even take into account all the other teams in our conference (e.g. Lamar, plus do we ever beat the Pats?)

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Nah I’m good. 

He’d be okay. But he’s the type of QB that will get you nowhere at the same time. Consistently leading you to 9-8 records. 

Exactly.  That's kind of no man's land.  You're a pretender as far as the postseason but you also don't have a high draft pick.  Basically the stars have to align, where you stink in the year where a FQB is available.  We had it in 2020 but Jax was just a little worse.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green DNA said:

I found it interesting to see what Raiders fans opinions of Carr are after the brutal showing on Saturday.  Seems very similar to Jets fans ragging on Wilson.  This is the guy some want to pay $30m per year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/another-blown-lead-raider-nation-053348578.html

If Carr was available,  he would be the best QB we can get. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Luckily those aren’t the only two options but thanks for prognostication that single possible scenario. 

Jets are going to have to pay someone. If you don’t like Carr for other reasons fine but “expensive” shouldn’t cross JD’s lips this off season.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Wit said:

Best case scenario is to draft a kid in the 2 or 3 round and MW takes the reins with Breece and a rebuilt OL. That should ne enough to at least get this team to an easy playoff berth. The options arent great next year. 

JD is not betting his career on MW’s health and a total unknown day 2 pick

• Upvote 2