Jets are hiring former Titans OC Todd Downing as their new passing game coordinator [merged]

carlito1171

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets had better be hiring guys because they think they are really really good coaches and not because they are linked to any QB we are after.

This. Not really impressed with these hires from the Titans especially. That's the best we could do? Hope I'm wrong.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets had better be hiring guys because they think they are really really good coaches and not because they are linked to any QB we are after.

The whole situation is not ideal. They are not looking take a chance again on a rookie coordinator and are bringing in veteran guys with warts, who are looking to get back into the league even if things go south this year. Slim Pickens.

Never boring being a Jets fan...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

Tennessee had a a 3rd round draft pick out of Liberty, Malik Willis, and Joshua Dobbs who was on another teams practice squad, play QB in half their games, and they still almost won their division. Let's at least try to keep this in perspective. 

they played in the worst division in football and lost 7 games in a row to miss the playoffs.

lets keep it in perspective

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hotrodcharlie said:

they played in the worst division in football and lost 7 games in a row to miss the playoffs.

Without their starting QB for a few of those games. So that’s Downing’s fault?  Isn’t that more on Vrabel?  And looking at Tannehill stats during that stretch they weren’t bad. 

7 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Tannehill is an older cheaper version of Derek Carr. Much prefer these stop gap, 2 year guys over the long term of Derek Carr. 

Yeah, if not Rodgers, then Tannehill. Leave me alone with Carr or Garoppolo. At least Tannehill has a little grit in his pants

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  You do realize you can have 3 beers, speed have a cop smell alcohol and fail a sobriety test pretty easily.  

You don’t spend 2 days in jail for barely being over the blood alcohol limit. He was wasted. 

I was really stupid in college and blew a .28 (which is almost coma level drunk) and only spent 1 night in the cell. 

5 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You don’t spend 2 days in jail for barely being over the blood alcohol limit. He was wasted. 

I was really stupid in college and blew a .28 (which is almost coma level drunk) and only spent 1 night in the cell. 

What is the punishment for a DUI in Tennessee?

In Tennessee, a DUI is a Class A misdemeanor charge with a minimum sentence for a first conviction of DUI is 48 hours in jail, but can be as much as 11 months, 29 days in jail with fines, court costs, loss of license for a year and community service assessed.
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:
What is the punishment for a DUI in Tennessee?

In Tennessee, a DUI is a Class A misdemeanor charge with a minimum sentence for a first conviction of DUI is 48 hours in jail, but can be as much as 11 months, 29 days in jail with fines, court costs, loss of license for a year and community service assessed.

Key word is conviction. That’s after the court process. Many times it’s brought down to 0 days with community service. 

It sounds like he was put in the drunk tank for two days to sober up which means he was out of his mind drunk. 

1 hour ago, hotrodcharlie said:

The 7 game losing streak, 6 of those losses came against playoff teams.  In fact, every team that beat them (with the exception of one loss to Houston) made the playoffs. 

"Worst division" is irrelevant. If you think MLF did a better job than Todd Downing, you can make a legitimate argument but he's not the OC any more, he's an assistant.

I like to sh*t on the Jets organization, too, when it's warranted, but I'm not seeing this hire as some big mistake being made. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Ron Rico said:

You will spend 2 (or 3) days in jail if you're arrested on Friday. You have to wait until Monday to see the Judge in most cases.

In my personal experience that’s not true. I was arrested at like 2 in the morning on Saturday then was let out Saturday around noon. Court wasn’t till weeks after 

22 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Really, there’s a scale where how long you’re initially jailed is determined by how drunk you are?  And you know what it is wherever he was because you were arrested in the same jurisdiction or are you just assuming because just having a few beers after the game isn’t bad enough, you need him to be wasted to make your point that he’s a bad guy.   

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Tannehill is an older cheaper version of Derek Carr. Much prefer these stop gap, 2 year guys over the long term of Derek Carr. 

Could see Tannehill as potentially an Alex Smith-y short term veteran to keep the team competitive and give a good way to evaluate the rest of the offense (including coaching) while developing somebody behind him. Bringing in that kind of a guy (not necessarily Tannehill - just someone who fits that description) would be the most methodical, team building way they could handle the position. That's also what they should've done two years ago, but I digress.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really, there’s a breakdown where how long you’re initially in is determined by how drunk you are?  And you know what it is wherever he was because you were arrested in the same jurisdiction or are you just assuming because just having a few beers after the game isn’t bad enough, you need him to be wasted to make your point that he’s a bad guy.   

You’re making a lot of assumptions there my dude. I never said he’s a bad guy or anything like that. Stuff happens, you live and you learn. 

5 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You’re making a lot of assumptions there my dude. I never said he’s a bad guy or anything like that. Stuff happens, you live and you learn. 

I haven’t made a single assumption.  You made more than a few when you questioned his character and then claimed he was wasted because he spent 2 days in the tank.  When that’s the minimum in Tenn. after I said he may have been slightly over the limit.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I haven’t made a single assumption.  You made more than a few when you questioned his character and then claimed he was wasted because he spent 2 days in the tank.  When that’s the minimum in Tenn. after I said he may have been slightly over the limit.  

assuming that I am trying to say that he is a bad guy IS an assumption… 

You also misread what the person posted regarding the jail sentence that is for convictions which happens after the courts sentence. With first time offenders they often get ARD which makes it 0 jail time and only community service/probation. His 2 days was likely for the drunk tank which is prior to the court sentence. 

21 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Have you seen his stats? 

You dont want ZW because anyone would be better…Now if it comes down to Tannehill we don’t want him. 

People wanted MLF gone because he was the worst. So Hackett is hired as OC not HC, and people don’t want him because he’s now the worst. 

People don’t want Downing because TN was terrible in ‘22.  Meanwhile TN OL was just as decimated as the Jets, they traded their best WR, they picked his replacement in the 1st Rd, he played in 11 games and had 33 catches, and Tannehill missed the last 3 games of the season.

Downing is hired not as OC, but as a passing game coordinator, which 99% of the people here have no idea what that means and the responsibility of it, but is labeled here as the worst possible choice 

Don't listen to that spud. 

21 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You also misread what the person posted regarding the jail sentence that is for convictions which happens after the courts sentence. With first time offenders they often get ARD which makes it 0 jail time and only community service/probation. His 2 days was likely for the drunk tank which is prior to the court sentence. 

I said that a lot earlier. 

• Thumb Down 1

only the jets look around and find the worst of the worst and say yes lets hire him

hackett ran the worst offense out there-

hey who ran the worst passing offense out there lets hire him

their hires are just as smart as the adam gase hire-lets bring guys that were trash and fired for being incompetent

jets will be without a viable QB next year again (unless you consider mike white viable)

after next year joe and saleh will be gone

43 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

He was arrested on November 18 and served 2 days at the end of January after he was convicted, not in the drunk tank prior to his court appearance.

• Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Have you seen his stats? 

You dont want ZW because anyone would be better…Now if it comes down to Tannehill we don’t want him. 

People wanted MLF gone because he was the worst. So Hackett is hired as OC not HC, and people don’t want him because he’s now the worst. 

People don’t want Downing because TN was terrible in ‘22.  Meanwhile TN OL was just as decimated as the Jets, they traded their best WR, they picked his replacement in the 1st Rd, he played in 11 games and had 33 catches, and Tannehill missed the last 3 games of the season.

Downing is hired not as OC, but as a passing game coordinator, which 99% of the people here have no idea what that means and the responsibility of it, but is labeled here as the worst possible choice 

None of this rambling post has anything to do with what I said. I don't want Zach Wilson, and if Tannehill is the best we can acquire as an upgrade, then that's flat out pathetic and I'm done. But you do you.

Ravens just hired Monken, replacing a good OC (Roman) with an even better one

Monken is brilliant when it comes to the passing game

Downing, the Jets new "pass game coordinator", ran offenses in TN predicated on throwing the ball as little as possible

Byron Leftwich is still out there too, I think

He's miles better than Downing, but he would never come to a team without a QB

Jets should have waited until they got Rodgers or Carr (or whoever) before filling out the staff

12 minutes ago, kmnj said:

only the jets look around and find the worst of the worst and say yes lets hire him

hackett ran the worst offense out there-

hey who ran the worst passing offense out there lets hire him

their hires are just as smart as the adam gase hire-lets bring guys that were trash and fired for being incompetent

jets will be without a viable QB next year again (unless you consider mike white viable)

after next year joe and saleh will be gone

I agree with most of this. This has to be the most underwhelming hires I have seen in a while. Nothing points to having a top offense in fact it just screams that the Jets are literally turtle-ing the offense even more and hoping to be mediocre. 

I fundamentally disagree with the Jets schemes and philosophy. Saleh wants a team that makes few mistakes and the other team scores less than the Jets because of defense. That does not win championships. You need to develop an offense that can outscore opponents because it gives you so many more ways to win games. Under Saleh (or a Bowles or even Gase for that matter) you need to play almost perfect just to win a one score game.

I am not sure about JD. I could see a situation where JD is retained but the new coach does not report to him.

A lot will depend on this upcoming draft. He has a stinker draft and an all time draft. You need to figure out which one is the outlier