Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think I fundamentally agree that building up the roster and then dropping the QB in is ideal, but I also think that when you’re in range to grab a prospect with the requisite traits, it’s alright to shoot your shot on him, with the expectation that he might not play right away which gives you a window to get the roster ready (or, readier). 

My two things would be 1) then the guy needs to have the requisite traits, and I think pocket management/presence falls into that category and 2) you need to not play him and I can’t remember the last time a guy in that range sat for a meaningful period of time. It’s kind of too expensive for a good team to get up into the 2-5 area and bad teams just haven’t been pulled out of being bad by a guy like that.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Exactly why I said he's not retiring.. And GB doesn't want him near the building..   If the jets move on he'll play for someone else.

Or stay in GB and stick it to them...

he seems like the one guy who would

36 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I still say the NFL is pushing this so they can set the schedule...we're talking mega bucks here when it comes to prime time games.

They tweaked the Thursday night flex rules.   The TV contract was extended for 11 years in 2021. They’re good. Of course they want to deliver the best ratings but they aren’t going to interfere 

This is a good take.   Lets look at this from GB's perspective.  So lets say we get down the road a bit and the Jets move on in a different direction.   Now all Rodgers plans for this season are out the window.   Remember he desperately wants another ring (just as much as he covets MVP's, the spotlight and 60 million).  But now he has lost leverage because his "intention" was to play for the jets (who have since moved on).  So his choice then is 1. retire (none of us think he will do that), 2. Go back to GB and sit on the bench and be the massive elephant in the room (I don't think he'll win a super bowl doing that). or 3. Play for some other team that comes into play with the Jets out of the picture.  SFO (as one example)could be an option if Lance and Purdy aren't ready to start the season.   They have more talent than the jets, a better coach, and they are on the west coast where he lives...
SF has no cap room and no 1st.or 2nd round picks ... You realize this .... Right ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

SF has no cap room and no 1st.or 2nd round picks ... You realize this .... Right ?

Rodgers explicitly said he's not playing for the Niners. He's probably still got a chip on his shoulder from when they took Alex Smith over him.

It's nothing more than a Packers fan fantasy.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

retirement is just a stick he has to prevent GB from trading him where he doesn't want to go. 

True but that's a better option than paying his bonus.   If the Jets move on his options to play for a competitive team dwindle...  To put it another way, if the jets move on Rodgers loses a LOT of leverage.

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Rodgers is only 15 against the cap this year and that can always be manipulated.   If they offered two thirds this year and the first next year like ur guy from NY said the other day I'd be all over it.

7 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Rodgers is only 15 against the cap this year and that can always be manipulated.   If they offered two thirds this year and the first next year like ur guy from NY said the other day I'd be all over it.

Lynch: So we'll give you all our 3rds this year and a 1st next year no strings attached. We just need to know Aaron wants to play for us. Can we talk to him like the Jets did?

Gutekunts: Sounds good to me John!

Lynch: Aaron - we've got a Superbowl ready team here and would be the odds on NFC favorite w/you at the helm. What do you think?

Aaron: John,

First and foremost, let me express my sheer enthusiasm for being considered as part of your organization. It's truly an honor to even be in the conversation.

As I sit here, reflecting on the prospect of joining your esteemed franchise, I can't help but ponder about the long and successful career I've had thus far. Ah, the memories! But you know, they say all good things must come to an end, and perhaps it's just time to put my feet up and hang those cleats once and for all. I've been thinking that golfing and hosting "Jeopardy!" episodes could be the ideal way to spend my golden years.

While I'm sure you have a fascinating vision for my future with your team, the thought of retirement grows more alluring by the minute. Just imagine the peace and tranquility that would come with finally stepping away from the spotlight, free from the pressure of carrying a team on my shoulders. A truly tempting prospect, indeed.

So, while I appreciate the time and effort you've invested in attempting to trade for me, it might just be in everyone's best interest for me to decline your offer and explore the wonders of life beyond the gridiron.

Best of luck in your endeavors, and I hope our paths may cross again in some other capacity—perhaps on the golf course, or at a "Jeopardy!" taping. Until then, take care and remember: you'll always have my sincerest gratitude.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, ptisme said:

This is a good take.   Lets look at this from GB's perspective.  So lets say we get down the road a bit and the Jets move on in a different direction.   Now all Rodgers plans for this season are out the window.   Remember he desperately wants another ring (just as much as he covets MVP's, the spotlight and 60 million).  But now he has lost leverage because his "intention" was to play for the jets (who have since moved on).  So his choice then is 1. retire (none of us think he will do that), 2. Go back to GB and sit on the bench and be the massive elephant in the room (I don't think he'll win a super bowl doing that). or 3. Play for some other team that comes into play with the Jets out of the picture.  SFO (as one example)could be an option if Lance and Purdy aren't ready to start the season.   They have more talent than the jets, a better coach, and they are on the west coast where he lives...

In this scenario that next team is not going to be offering near what the Jets are right now bc the Packers will be even more desperate to get rid of the distraction. So the Packers get much less compensation in 2024 just to be spiteful? How do they win in that scenario? Your argument makes no sense.

If the GB GM was so smart he would take the Jets best offer and move on. The problem is I think they know he has a great season left in him and they don't believe in Love. So if they can maximize the draft capital they get back they can still sell the trade as a win even if Love flops..  If they were confident in Love, Rodgers would've been traded already.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, ptisme said:

No...  Loves 5th year option will get picked up.   There is a chance he becomes amazing (also a chance he bombs).   But for just 20 million next year it's worth the call to see the river card.  He's the quarterback of the future UNTIL proven otherwise (by Love himself).

The minute that option is picked up is the minute GB loses all leverage. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

True but that's a better option than paying his bonus.   If the Jets move on his options to play for a competitive team dwindle...  To put it another way, if the jets move on Rodgers loses a LOT of leverage.

That $60 million is the only leverage he needs

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Lynch: So we'll give you all our 3rds this year and a 1st next year no strings attached. We just need to know Aaron wants to play for us. Can we talk to him like the Jets did?

Gutekunts: Sounds good to me John!

Lynch: Aaron - we've got a Superbowl ready team here and would be the odds on NFC favorite w/you at the helm. What do you think?

Aaron: John,

First and foremost, let me express my sheer enthusiasm for being considered as part of your organization. It's truly an honor to even be in the conversation.

As I sit here, reflecting on the prospect of joining your esteemed franchise, I can't help but ponder about the long and successful career I've had thus far. Ah, the memories! But you know, they say all good things must come to an end, and perhaps it's just time to put my feet up and hang those cleats once and for all. I've been thinking that golfing and hosting "Jeopardy!" episodes could be the ideal way to spend my golden years.

While I'm sure you have a fascinating vision for my future with your team, the thought of retirement grows more alluring by the minute. Just imagine the peace and tranquility that would come with finally stepping away from the spotlight, free from the pressure of carrying a team on my shoulders. A truly tempting prospect, indeed.

So, while I appreciate the time and effort you've invested in attempting to trade for me, it might just be in everyone's best interest for me to decline your offer and explore the wonders of life beyond the gridiron.

Best of luck in your endeavors, and I hope our paths may cross again in some other capacity—perhaps on the golf course, or at a "Jeopardy!" taping. Until then, take care and remember: you'll always have my sincerest gratitude.

You think if the jets move on Rodgers would rather retire than play for a loaded niner team close to where he’s from on a dismal NFC?   Where he could get a chance to cream the packers in the playoffs?  You may be underestimating the competitive juices in old 12

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

In this scenario that next team is not going to be offering near what the Jets are right now bc the Packers will be even more desperate to get rid of the distraction. So the Packers get much less compensation in 2024 just to be spiteful? How do they win in that scenario? Your argument makes no sense.

If the GB GM was so smart he would take the Jets best offer and move on. The problem is I think they know he has a great season left in him and they don't believe in Love. So if they can maximize the draft capital they get back they can still sell the trade as a win even if Love flops..  If they were confident in Love, Rodgers would've been traded already.

Agreed.    But it’s about applying leverage and calculating the odds that the other guy will blink.  

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

That $60 million is the only leverage he needs

He does have that leverage even if the jets move on but he doesn’t have the leverage as much of where he plays like he does now.   You act as if his only career goal that he has left is the money

11 hours ago, ptisme said:

You guys talk like this.  You've said how JD is going to rape Gute Gutekunst and what not...  And maybe he will.     But you know JD is a shrewd guy.  But you should know Gute is too.   What he did in his first draft trading down to the end of the first, securing a first rounder the next year and then moving back up to get Jaire Alexander (for a third) was a thing of beauty.  And last season Devonte Adams had a team he wanted to go to also and Gute got a first AND second for him.  This guy didn't just fall off the turnip truck.  The Jets hold great leverage here for all the stated reasons, including this years picks...  But Gute can hold some cards here too.  He could say if this doesn't get done by draft day we'll trade you Rodgers but you won't get him until the day before the regular season starts.   That would effectively ruin team chemistry for a team that clearly wants Rodgers working with these new players as soon as possible.  This is an epic stare down and both sides have a lot at stake.  We don't know if the Packers are asking too much or if the Jets are low balling them, honestly.  But if you think Gute is going to be bent over by anyone you don't know the guy.

Not really thinking about sticking it to the Packers and Gutenkast.  Really it's just basic market dynamics.  It's not personal.  Gutenkast can't really overplay his hand because there is no market for Rodgers, and folks in general are overstating the desperation of the Jets and their fanbase.  There is no way he is going to:  1) pay out that bonus before September; or 2) have a circus at OTAs and training camp.  Even if he went nuclear and waited to move him until Sept 1st, I think there would be a collective shrug.  Favre came to us in August.  He'd maybe sit for a week or two, and then be full-go by the 2nd or third week.

It's in everyone's interest to get this done before the draft.  If Gutenkast remains stubborn on compensation, they'll lose draft compensation this year and the price will drop as they head to the season.  A one-year rental at $50-$60 million is ultimately not gonna deliver the draft compensation that "Gute" and the fans want.  It is what it is.  It his doing, he set up that contract. Now he's got to swallow the pill. 

You think if the jets move on Rodgers would rather retire than play for a loaded niner team close to where he’s from on a dismal NFC?   Where he could get a chance to cream the packers in the playoffs?  You may be underestimating the competitive juices in old 12
The notion of Rodgers retiring and the Packers receiving absolutely nothing for him must be frightening for a Packers fan.

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rodgers explicitly said he's not playing for the Niners. He's probably still got a chip on his shoulder from when they took Alex Smith over him.

It's nothing more than a Packers fan fantasy.

As I understand it the announcer was chiding Rodgers about playing for the Niners earlier and Rodgers said that tongue in cheek. 

21 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I don't think the Jets are moving on. The point is Rodgers has explicitly said he wants to play for the Jets. He's also explicitly said he doesn't want to play for the Niners. If the Packers try to trade him somewhere else, he can threaten to retire and the trade won't happen.