Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good luck with that.  GB is running up on a deadline (the draft) to get that "fair value", and it is going to be whatever Joe Douglas says it is.  Or you can get nothing.  Or Rodgers can retire and f**k your cap over.  Have fun.  

Honest question. Do you really believe this or are you just stirring things up?

I would not say the Packers have zero leverage.  The Packers biggest leverage is time and their flexibility in dealing Aaron.  Regardless of if it is before 6/1 or not, they have significant cap savings this and next year if traded.    And while cutting him is a bitter pill pre 6/1, it is not impossible if the Packers commit to this being a rebuilding year and cut him post 6/1.  They have some talent they could trade for instant savings and picks.  Plus, they do not need to cut him until the season starts.

The Jets need him in the building.  They know they need to accommodate his cap hit.    Pausing for "The Decision" hurts the team every day that goes by.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I would not say the Packers have zero leverage.  The Packers biggest leverage is time and their flexibility in dealing Aaron.  Regardless of if it is before 6/1 or not, they have significant cap savings this and next year if traded.    And while cutting him is a bitter pill pre 6/1, it is not impossible if the Packers commit to this being a rebuilding year and cut him post 6/1.  They have some talent they could trade for instant savings and picks.  Plus, they do not need to cut him until the season starts.

The Jets need him in the building.  They know they need to accommodate his cap hit.    Pausing for "The Decision" hurts the team every day that goes by.

How does it hurt?  Maybe when mini-camp starts, every day?  Now, before the draft? What the **** is he going to learn?  He has worked with Hackett and probably has the play book.  The Packers are going to cut him when the season starts?  Works for me.  I will keep the 2nd plus for a few weeks of acclimation.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

GB struggling and reaching. Last week they decided to believe a report that SF and NE could be interested with no value behind it.

Now they believe their own local reporter saying we balled at the trade after McAfee. Let’s be 100% clear. His report was that we agreed to a trade for ARs visit with us on March 7th. He went on McAfee on March 15th. So this reporter is saying a trade was 100% agreed to and then for 8 days nothing happened after he visited with us for 12 hours. And then on McAfee Woody heard him say he was 90-% retired and we changed the offer. Makes no sense. So for 8 days a trade couldn’t be agreed to that was already done? Not buying it

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How does it hurt?  Maybe when mini-camp starts, every day?  Now, before the draft? What the **** is he going to learn?  He has worked with Hackett and probably has the play book.  The Packers are going to cut him when the season starts?  Works for me.  I will keep the 2nd plus for a few weeks of acclimation.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.

He needs timing chemistry and trust with his targets. The second wave of free agents after the draft will want something concrete. Mini camp on June 17 is a big date. If this goes beyond that it’s officially time to worry 

he’s obviously at a point in his life where he plays year to year so if this turns into a single shot at the ring getting him in September would be a disaster 

• WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

He needs timing chemistry and trust with his targets. The second wave of free agents after the draft will want something concrete. Mini camp on June 17 is a big date. If this goes beyond that it’s officially time to worry 

he’s obviously at a point in his life where he plays year to year so if this turns into a single shot at the ring getting him in September would be a disaster 

I agree the sooner he gets here the better, but there is really no difference between tomorrow and mini-camp.  If you have the date correct, that is more than 2 months.  The draft and June 1st have always been two big dividing lines.  No reason to bitch and moan until after that.  

Getting him in September is far from optimal, but a disaster?  We'd have our HOF QB for nothing but money and an extra 2nd this year and next?  Fine by me and that's what I'd be telling the Packers.  Think about it this way.  We start the year with Zach and work Rodgers in.  That is bad, but is it any worse than last year?  It's what?  2 weeks later than Favre?  I care about December and January more than September and way more than April. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree the sooner he gets here the better, but there is really no difference between tomorrow and mini-camp.  If you have the date correct, that is more than 2 months.  The draft and June 1st have always been two big dividing lines.  

Agree but I think it does hurt the second wave of free agency 

5 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

If the Packers cut Rodgers post June 1st they'll take on a $75 million dead cap hit this year. That's an extra $43 million in dead money that would get accelerated to the cap immediately. That would put them $22 million OVER the cap. They wouldn't have enough money for their draft picks. They would have to cut 4 or 5 veteran starters just to get back under the cap. 

They have NO option but to trade him. Every other option is suicide for their franchise. That's why the Jets won't blink, they know the Packers have only one option and that's to trade him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

That is just Jets NY/NJ magic!!!  :)

Honestly let me take your side for a minute........

Here is what you should be saying the Jets and the Packers had a deal. 

A DEAL!!!!!!

They had a deal in principle and in particular, Green Bay graciously permitted the Jets to speak to Aaron Rogers.  Then Rogers says on a talk show that he was thinking that he might retire next year and the Jets, Woody Johnson, says we are taking our offer OFF THE TABLE because he Rogers, might retire and they were in effect blindsided by this...

Well didn't the Jets ask him how long he was going play when they had a private meeting with him? I mean if this was such a big deal you mean Woody Johnson didn't ask?

No, this is Green Bay's fault??????

Well, Woody Johnson and the Jets are full of nonsense here...

First, and foremost a player who is 40 years old might retire in two years, that is not crazy; and Aaron Rogers in particular has said CONSISTENTLY that he was going to retire literally THREE YEARS AGO, so for the Jets to act like they had "no idea" Rogers might retire is disingenuous at best and double-dealing potentially at worst!

There is your answer... 

The Jets and the Packers had a deal, that both sides agreed to and it was the Jets Owner who undid it 

And if that’s how it’s gone down then it makes sense why gb is digging in its heals 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, choon328 said:

If the Packers cut Rodgers post June 1st they'll take on a $75 million dead cap hit this year. That's an extra $43 million in dead money that would get accelerated to the cap immediately. That would put them $22 million OVER the cap. They wouldn't have enough money for their draft picks. They would have to cut 4 or 5 veteran starters just to get back under the cap. 

They have NO option but to trade him. Every other option is suicide for their franchise. That's why the Jets won't blink, they know the Packers have only one option and that's to trade him. 

Maybe they should be giving us a 4th rounder.

Jets org will really look bad if Rodgers doesn’t come here. And JD could be in huge trouble with Woody. I really doubt he’d retire if doesn’t come here too much $ on the table. But not impossible another team won’t take a late run at him. Look I know team would be a lot better with him maybe even a chance at SB before we die. But I’d take my chances going in a different direction. As a fan rooting for team’s players I have to have at the least some respect for them as people. And for me just not the case with Rodgers. 

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Jets org will really look bad if Rodgers doesn’t come here. And JD could be in huge trouble with Woody. I really doubt he’d retire if doesn’t come here too much $ on the table. But not impossible another team won’t take a late run at him. Look I know team would be a lot better with him maybe even a chance at SB before we die. But I’d take my chances going in a different direction. As a fan rooting for team’s players I have to have at the least some respect for them as people. And for me just not the case with Rodgers. 

Why?