Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

Have to share this. Not in a new thread because that’s just dumb. The most hilarious thing I have seen from a Packers perspective. To save time, he says the packers should screw over the Jets by:

“start calling other teams right now and offer Rodgers for a conditional pick in 2024. If Rodgers plays, Green Bay receives the compensation next season. If he doesn’t, the acquiring team wouldn’t have to pay the Packers anything. Aaron Rodgers could decide if he would play or not, but if he doesn’t, he would leave $60 million behind. So, the Packers and the new team wouldn’t have to pay him anything else. The trade could be executed after June 1, so the Packers would gain an extra $24 million in cap space this year, which is probably more valuable than a mid-round pick. And it’s reasonable to think the Patriots, for instance, would love to interfere with the Jets’ plans.” 

It's really hysterical and pathetic. GB has called every team twice since February to beg for a trade. GB fans really believe they've been negotiating exclusively with the jets this entire time out of some sense of negotiation honor or undying devotion to NY. They believe the second their gm wishes it so, a trade for multiple firsts will be executed with literally any other team in the league. 

GB: nobody wants you marked up trash except the idiot jets. Time to join the rest of us in reality.

Holy crap, we've dealt with NE and their irritating, entitled fans for 20 years. And even with them, I can't recall a situation where they were this blatantly dumb and delusional. GB fanbase has moved up into a special tier in my mind.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

Where I agree with him:

1. it seems improbable the Packers would allow the jets to talk to him without trade parameters in place.

2. It seems improbable Rodgers was 90 percent retired when just a few weeks earlier he said he could still win an MVP: retirees don't talk like that.   And no one thinks he's leave 60 mil on the table.

3. It seems impossible Rodgers walked out of the darkness retreat and first realized the Packers wanted to move on to Love.   He mentioned himself a few weeks earlier that some other players were telling him the Packers were shopping him (of course they were doing their due diligence).  Gute said Rodgers was well aware at the end of the season they planned to move on.

4. It seems impossible the Jets, during their 11 hour visit, didn't discuss with Rodgers whether he was willing to commit for two years.   Like Woody got scared after the Pat McAfee talk?   BS....  This was done as an attempt to renege and lower the asking price.   Now we hear Rodgers is telling the jets to hold out because he won't be there for the first OTA anyways..   Appears to be a bad faith negotiation to me.

Where I disagree: It does the packers ZERO good to save 24 million this year.   There is no one left in FA to sign and then they have him off their books after this year.  Which is why if the Packers were to start shopping Rodgers to other teams it would occur after the draft and before June 1 to get him off the books after this year.  IMO the ball is in the jets court: Honor the agreed upon terms or lets see what happens after the draft.

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

Where I agree with him:

1. it seems improbable the Packers would allow the jets to talk to him without trade parameters in place.

2. It seems improbable Rodgers was 90 percent retired when just a few weeks earlier he said he could still win an MVP: retirees don't talk like that.   And no one thinks he's leave 60 mil on the table.

3. It seems impossible Rodgers walked out of the darkness retreat and first realized the Packers wanted to move on to Love.   He mentioned himself a few weeks earlier that some other players were telling him the Packers were shopping him (of course they were doing their due diligence).  Gute said Rodgers was well aware at the end of the season they planned to move on.

4. It seems impossible the Jets, during their 11 hour visit, didn't discuss with Rodgers whether he was willing to commit for two years.   Like Woody got scared after the Pat McAfee talk?   BS....  This was done as an attempt to renege and lower the asking price.   Now we hear Rodgers is telling the jets to hold out because he won't be there for the first OTA anyways..   Appears to be a bad faith negotiation to me.

Where I disagree: It does the packers ZERO good to save 24 million this year.   There is no one left in FA to sign and then they have him off their books after this year.  Which is why if the Packers were to start shopping Rodgers to other teams it would occur after the draft and before June 1 to get him off the books after this year.  IMO the ball is in the jets court: Honor the agreed upon terms or lets see what happens after the draft.

Who are you and where did you come from ?

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Larz said:

I’ve heard , I think….  Do you think anyone is telling Mike effing Greenberg anything, much less the actual reason for the delay?  This is all noise and nonsense. Next it’s going to be Rodgers is about to retire or he’s annoyed or whatever. 

It makes sense that Rodgers would want the Jets to maintain as much draft capitol as possible.   The only thing I know about Greenberg is he's a die hard Jets fan and has a gig at ESPN.   Not sure why he'd lie about this.

7 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Who are you and where did you come from ?

I'm PTISME.  I'm from WI.  Die hard Packers fan.  Loved Rodgers all these years and wish him well this year where ever he ends up.   I am a healthcare provider.   Dad of two adult children.  Love talking football.   Why does personal info matter on a football forum?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I'm PTISME.  I'm from WI.  Die hard Packers fan.  Loved Rodgers all these years and wish him well this year where ever he ends up.   I am a healthcare provider.   Dad of two adult children.  Love talking football.   Why does personal info matter on a football forum?

No but everything makes sense (or doesn’t) now. Thanks. (Blocked) 

7 minutes ago, ptisme said:

It makes sense that Rodgers would want the Jets to maintain as much draft capitol as possible.   The only thing I know about Greenberg is he's a die hard Jets fan and has a gig at ESPN.   Not sure why he'd lie about this.

Oh boy lol.  It’s not a lie because he didn’t name a source. It also assumes that his loyalty is already with the jets over the team he played for the last 15 years. 

I was thinking of this angle:

• Even Robert Kraft found a way to gracefully move on from Tom Brady.  It actually backfired on him, because Brady had two good years left, and the Patriots have not been the same since.  But Brady’s final contract did not permit a franchise tag, and when it naturally concluded Brady was free to play where he wanted to.  
  • I don’t know exactly what Rodgers and the Packers were thinking last year, but my guess is that they wanted 2022 to be Rodgers last year has a Packer.  They could have given him a one year extension, with void years to spread the cap out.  But instead, the built in the ability for Rodgers to get paid and play more years, because, I suspect, they wanted the ability to trade Rodgers.  Rodgers went along, wanting to get paid and figuring he would manipulate where he was sent, like he is doing now.
  • Any moron could have told you that a 39 year old QB is always on the cusp of retirement.    If the Jets trade for a player like Rodgers, they basically should pay little upfront but more depending on what they get.  The Packers do not want to be the Patriots, and the Jets do not want to be the Broncos.   The tone of the Packers seems to be that the Packers should offer Rodgers to other teams for reasonable conditional compensation.  Maybe they should just do that to the Jets, and they would move him already. 
  • But the wildcard in the room is Woody.  Did he meddle or get cold feet?  He is afraid of looking foolish?  Are the Packers obsessed with taking advantage of him?  Are they obsessed with not looking like Seahawks and Panthers opposite JD?  We will find out.  
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

No worries. 

If after all this time, you couldn’t figure out he’s a Packers fan without him telling you, I definitely don’t want you as my attorney.

Never did the research until about an hour ago. I don’t waste time on people that spew crap all the time. I am sure people have that opinion of me as well. Again, don’t care.  

Only joking about not liking you. A lot of what you say, I disagree with, but at least you say it with a bit of knowledge, or otherwise unbiased opinion. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

So Greeny is correct because he’s a “die hard Jets fan and has a gig a ESPN” but Florio is uninformed and a “Vikings fan packers hater”

???

Carry on though 

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

It's really hysterical and pathetic. GB has called every team twice since February to beg for a trade. GB fans really believe they've been negotiating exclusively with the jets this entire time out of some sense of negotiation honor or undying devotion to NY. They believe the second their gm wishes it so, a trade for multiple firsts will be executed with literally any other team in the league. 

GB: nobody wants you marked up trash except the idiot jets. Time to join the rest of us in reality.

Holy crap, we've dealt with NE and their irritating, entitled fans for 20 years. And even with them, I can't recall a situation where they were this blatantly dumb and delusional. GB fanbase has moved up into a special tier in my mind.

Dude if a few teams like Washington or the pats don't get the QB they want or whatever, those teams would then theoretically zero in on Rodgers, making it harder to get Rodgers for the jets. It's in Douglas's interest to get a deal done now because the cards may not fall as you think. What if a team has a freak injury at QB in mini camp etc?

6 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Dude if a few teams like Washington or the pats don't get the QB they want or whatever, those teams would then theoretically zero in on Rodgers, making it harder to get Rodgers for the jets. It's in Douglas's interest to get a deal done now because the cards may not fall as you think. What if a team has a freak injury at QB in mini camp etc?

They can have him....

I am so over this

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Oh boy lol.  It’s not a lie because he didn’t name a source. It also assumes that his loyalty is already with the jets over the team he played for the last 15 years. 

I assume his loyalty is with the jets.   But more importantly his disloyalty ATM is with the Packers.   And if you don't believe that you don't know Rodgers.  This road began the moment they drafted Love.  Well no, the moment they cut Jordy Nelson.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

It doesn’t really matter until June 17 tho 

It does because picks now are more valuable, we don't know how the draft will unfold. 

Heck Douglas could be trying to get Levis and telling the pack to wait. There's risk in any scenario of continually waiting....

You don't know if injuries occur

What if Jordan love says I'm tired of Rodgers and his shrooms I want to be traded?

The pats, Washington, Minnesota, Miami could get involved for some unforseen reason.

7 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I assume his loyalty is with the jets.   But more importantly his disloyalty ATM is with the Packers.   And if you don't believe that you don't know Rodgers.  This road began the moment the drafted Love.  Well no, the moment the cut Jordy Nelson.

You really want to die on this hill ? Mike Greenberg ?

Charlie Day Ok GIF

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I was thinking of this angle:

• Even Robert Kraft found a way to gracefully move on from Tom Brady.  It actually backfired on him, because Brady had two good years left, and the Patriots have not been the same since.  But Brady’s final contract did not permit a franchise tag, and when it naturally concluded Brady was free to play where he wanted to.  
  • I don’t know exactly what Rodgers and the Packers were thinking last year, but my guess is that they wanted 2022 to be Rodgers last year has a Packer.  They could have given him a one year extension, with void years to spread the cap out.  But instead, the built in the ability for Rodgers to get paid and play more years, because, I suspect, they wanted the ability to trade Rodgers.  Rodgers went along, wanting to get paid and figuring he would manipulate where he was sent, like he is doing now.
  • Any moron could have told you that a 39 year old QB is always on the cusp of retirement.    If the Jets trade for a player like Rodgers, they basically should pay little upfront but more depending on what they get.  The Packers do not want to be the Patriots, and the Jets do not want to be the Broncos.   The tone of the Packers seems to be that the Packers should offer Rodgers to other teams for reasonable conditional compensation.  Maybe they should just do that to the Jets, and they would move him already. 
  • But the wildcard in the room is Woody.  Did he meddle or get cold feet?  He is afraid of looking foolish?  Are the Packers obsessed with taking advantage of him?  Are they obsessed with not looking like Seahawks and Panthers opposite JD?  We will find out.  

By paragraph:

1. Brady, multi time super bowl champion, and Kraft were friends.   Kraft was motivated to do his friend a solid and let him move on.

2. Hmm, Well first that contract was a mistake (hindsight being 20/20).   At the time Rodgers was playing like a God (I know, the thumb etc) and Love looked to be lost.   They thought they had a superbowl window for a few more years.  But the one smart thing the Packers did was to make that bonus due at the start of the season(vs say Feb) and the contract did give them an out this year if they needed it.  Had things worked out for the Packers last year they probably would have extended Rodgers this year and added void years.

3. Rodgers isn't Russell Wilson learning a new offense.   He won 2of3 last MVP's in this offense.   The Broncos example is fake news.  The appearance ATM is the Jets reneged on the contract...  They'll have to figure it out.   I'm not someone who thought the Packers should get pick 13 or multiple firsts.   But apparently the agreement was a 3rd this year and 1st next year and the Packers want them to honor the agreement.   We'll see how it shakes out but...  If the Packers shop Rodgers after the draft they clearly will be looking to simply off load his contract.

4. Woody: Most Jets fans have been worried Woody will get cold feet.   I suspect the leaked story that Woody changed the agreement after the McAfee interview was leaked to make the Packers believe Woody wouldn't be a weak link.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Dude Washington and the pats SUCK! Why would he go there?? Think