Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That, and stick a broom up GB's collective ass.

If it’s true that they changed the price after woody met Rodgers that’s going to really hurt them in future deals 

I wonder if that is part of why JD specifically said “good faith “ when talking about lamar, as a shot at them 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The problem is that we have no other direction at all.  We are like the Evergiven stuck in the Suez canal with no way to run around.

We have no legit plan B and certainly no plan B that would leave the jets looking like anything less than total idiots for pursing this for so long,

Sure we do. There are other avenues such as the draft or other lesser vet QBs. It doesn't take much effort to leak a story to friendly press that the Jets are looking at the titans guy, or think a qb may fall in the draft and will have that guy fight it out with ZW. Poker is a fun game, and I think JD knows how to play. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We have to stay under the cap though. So something has to be done. We can’t trade for him and be over the cap. Necessary moves would have to be part of the trade or done before. 

His cap number after the Packers take on some money would be around $12 million, I'm assuming.  If Davis is involved that will save $10.5 million and the Jets already have around $8 million in cap space available.  They won't have to make any moves if Davis is involved.

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

If it’s true that they changed the price after woody met Rodgers that’s going to really hurt them in future deals 

I wonder if that is part of why JD specifically said “good faith “ when talking about lamar, as a shot at them 

That's how I took JD saying that. GB is playing with fire, and the other GMs will take notice. Particularly after GB crashes and burns on this one.

• Upvote 1

We have to be under the cap for it to go through. If we take on Rodgers deal as is right now his cap hit this year is at best roughly 16mill. We right now have 8mill in cap skate. So we’d be over the cap if we traded for him now. Which is ok as long as you fix it within 24hrs (from what I understand). So we’d have to make cuts or restructure him pre draft.

What could happen is we include Davis in the trade which makes us comply. Cut Davis or Whitehead in the next couple days so we have space for Rodgers. Or GB could restructure Rodgers the way we want so the trade could go through easier. But why would they do that for us?

So I expect us to make a big cut or 2 in these next couple days or the trade to go down pre draft so we can restructure Rodgers the way we want and make a cut still as well.

The Jets are not cutting anybody on defense.  It is not necessary at this point in FA.  You still have to replace the guys you're cutting and it's late in FA.  The Jets have plenty of cap space post Rodgers being on the team.  Right now the Jets need $9.125 million in cap space to sign their rookie class.  That drops to $7.625 million if they include the 43rd pick in the trade.  If they only select the 5 picks that they would have remaining those picks would replace 5 players that are currently on the 53.  So if you just deduct those 5 players salaries that are currently on the 53 it would come out to around $5 million.  The Jets would only need $2.625 million in cap space in order to sign their draft picks.  They'll be fine without releasing other players.

One person that I think you will see traded during the draft is Bryce Hall.  He's on the last year of his deal and that would save $2.7 million.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

The Jets are not cutting anybody on defense.  It is not necessary at this point in FA.  You still have to replace the guys you're cutting and it's late in FA.  The Jets have plenty of cap space post Rodgers being on the team.  Right now the Jets need $9.125 million in cap space to sign their rookie class.  That drops to $7.625 million if they include the 43rd pick in the trade.  If they only select the 5 picks that they would have remaining those picks would replace 5 players that are currently on the 53.  So if you just deduct those 5 players salaries that are currently on the 53 it would come out to around $5 million.  The Jets would only need $2.625 million in cap space in order to sign their draft picks.  They'll be fine without releasing other players.

One person that I think you will see traded during the draft is Bryce Hall.  He's on the last year of his deal and that would save $2.7 million.

But you have to stay under the cap is my point. We can’t take on 16mill of ARs deal right now. Yea we can move money around but apparently we within 24hrs of a deal have to get back under the cap. If Davis is included that makes it easy. But if not we have some things we have to do. Point being is we can’t head into Friday with our current roster and trade for Rodgers. There’s have to be moves to put us under the cap to get him. If that’s not done. Id assume Davis is part of the deal 

• Upvote 1

We have to stay under the cap though. So something has to be done. We can’t trade for him and be over the cap. Necessary moves would have to be part of the trade or done before. 

I would expect that Rodgers reworking his contract is part of the trade. Something that likely takes place within hours (if not minutes) of the trade being completed. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, choon328 said:

His cap number after the Packers take on some money would be around $12 million, I'm assuming.  If Davis is involved that will save $10.5 million and the Jets already have around $8 million in cap space available.  They won't have to make any moves if Davis is involved.

Can’t just assume Davis is part of the trade. Which is my point. We might see some movement pre draft to create that space.

27 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sure we do. There are other avenues such as the draft or other lesser vet QBs. It doesn't take much effort to leak a story to friendly press that the Jets are looking at the titans guy, or think a qb may fall in the draft and will have that guy fight it out with ZW. Poker is a fun game, and I think JD knows how to play. 

There is no chance in the world the jets are drafting another QB high in this draft.  Zero.

What vets?  People have been trying to manufacture vets like there are any legit candidates out there.

The only vet people can come up with is tannehill and you would still have to trade for him and pay his lofty contact.

At the beginning of this process?  Yeah the jets had some alternatives, now they have none.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I would expect that Rodgers reworking his contract is part of the trade. Something that likely takes place within hours (if not minutes) of the trade being completed. 

Not sure GB is going to be doing us any favors in this. So I doubt they rework his deal the way we want it for us without the trade being official. Especially if there’s any truth at all to the rumor that we backtracked from our original agreement.

7 hours ago, ptisme said:

The problem with that is why would the packers agree to that.   Rodgers is training hard for the season right now.   What if he gets hurt?

You must be like 17.

You think teams get a say in the theater of this sh*t ? to cute bro.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not sure GB is going to be doing us any favors in this. So I doubt they rework his deal the way we want it for us without the trade being official. Especially if there’s any truth at all to the rumor that we backtracked from our original agreement.

The Jets would rework his deal. I'm sure they've already had this discussion with his agent

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There is no chance in the world the jets are drafting another QB high in this draft.  Zero.

What vets?  People have been trying to manufacture vets like there are any legit candidates out there.

The only vet people can come up with is tannehill and you would still have to trade for him and pay his lofty contact.

At the beginning of this process?  Yeah the jets had some alternatives, now they have none.

It doesn't have to be reasonable, or probable; it just has to be possible.

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Green Bay doesn’t have to do anything. It’s between the Jets and Rodgers once the terms are set. A non-issue, imho. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Green Bay doesn’t have to do anything. It’s between the Jets and Rodgers once the terms are set. A non-issue, imho. 

But Jets have to be under the cap is my point. Can’t just trade for him and rework the deal later. Has to be done before hand, which would mean GB is reworking the deal or we cut guys ore the trade or they’re part of the trade.

6 hours ago, Larz said:

So I looked into this morning. All NFL teams have to be under the cap as soon as the new league year starts. 
As far as I can tell, if the trade involves 2023 draft picks, it has to be submitted to the league I would assume rather promptly, so the Jets need to be under the cap when they take on Rodgers deal. 

I think it happens Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.  I don’t know how you submit a renegotiated deal and clear space and blah blah blah on the clock 

the only on the clock scenario I think they could pull off is including Davis in the deal or cutting him on the spot. 

"Rapoport said the Jets need to create salary cap space and finalize Rodgers’ new deal before the trade is officially completed."

Do you guys have players that you can do a simple restructure on without adding void years?   If so that could be done quickly and without said players permission.  I doubt they wait till pick 42 to do all this as it's gonna take a few hours to do the prep work before the trade.

7 hours ago, Bosleyjet74 said:

Saw one person put on Facebook put that he will settle now for #13 #42 this year plus our first in 2024 and a second in 2025 just to get it done as dragging on god knows what he expected originally 

He's a low information fan.