New Contract for Commanders DT Should get Jets Moving on Quinnen Williams

Quinnen Williams

New York Jets GM Joe Douglas may be busy with Aaron Rodgers, but he knows that defensive tackle Quinnen Williams is going to be a very rich man. The question is, how rich is Williams going to be, and how long are the Jets going to wait to get his new deal done?

Quinnen Williams is going to be a problem for opposing offenses for the foreseeable future. Tosses the interior lineman into the backfield on this play. pic.twitter.com/7rc2YoPgIy

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) October 3, 2022

Earlier today the Washington Commanders inked their star DT Daron Payne to a 4-year $90 million deal with $60 million of that being guaranteed.

Sources: Washington’s franchise player Daron Payne became the highest-paid DT in NFL history not named Aaron Donald, reaching agreement today on a four-year, $90 million deal that includes $60 million guaranteed. pic.twitter.com/ZJsM2xnaSp

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 12, 2023

Had they acted sooner, the Jets may have been able to get Williams inked to a similar deal.  But as we know, when a top player gets a new contract, it had better exceed what the last guy got or you’re probably not getting that player signed.

This past season, Williams established himself as arguably the top defensive tackle in the NFL.  He logged a career high 12 sacks despite playing just 65% of the Jets defensive snaps.  In all reality, Williams was the catalyst behind the team’s success on defense last year.

With such a dominant interior rusher up front, Williams commanded double and triple teams, allowing his fellow linemen to get pressure on opposing QB’s, helping the secondary on the back end.  With no Williams, things look a lot different on defense for the Jets.

We’ve seen the Jets botch negotiations in year’s past, but Williams isn’t one the Jets can afford to play games with.  Joe Douglas and company should be looking to get a deal done ASAP.

The post New Contract for Commanders DT Should get Jets Moving on Quinnen Williams appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Jets drag their feet on this and it'll cost them big in the long run.

And if we would have signed him any sooner people would bitch that we did so while he was still on his rookie deal.  No GM here can win without losing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And if we would have signed him any sooner people would bitch that we did so while he was still on his rookie deal.  No GM here can win without losing. 

No one would have said that unless that poster just flat-out didn’t want to extend him ever.

I'd have preferred they did this before any other DT's deal got done, but it’s also possible QW’s agent wanted to wait for the next level to get established first; he’s in no great rush to be first himself, seeing how he's got the 5th yr optioned by the Jets. Payne, on the other hand, was franchise tagged and Washington cleared plenty of immediate cap space by getting this done before the FA period started.

TBH mentally I was expecting a minimum of $25MM/year for QW anyway. They should - and likely will - get it done soon. He's not priority #1 in terms of timing, though.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No one would have said that unless that poster just flat-out didn’t want to extend him ever.

It’s also possible QW’s agent wanted to wait for the next level to get established first; he’s in no great rush to be first himself.

TBH mentally I was expecting a minimum of $25MM/year anyway.  

What the OP failed to mention, Payne was an UFA (franchise tagged) while Quinn will be playing on his 5th year option. JD has leverage and Q has leverage. Hoping they can work out a fair deal for all. Jets can keep Q for 3 years with the tag.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What the OP failed to mention, Payne was an UFA (franchise tagged) while Quinn will be playing on his 5th year option. JD has leverage and Q has leverage. Hoping they can work out a fair deal for all. Jets can keep Q for 3 years with the tag.

I didn't even see your reply here when I'd updated my post, but yes. By getting this done, Washington had a lot more $ to clear than the Jets will clear.

If there was a complaint about not getting this done, it was in not getting this done well before this month -- they could've worked out an extension any time after his 3rd season ended. I'm not getting what the delay accomplished, other than a little less injury risk.

Hopefully it's still around $25MM and doesn't jump to $30MM like the WRs. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Problem is, it wasn't until this year that he became a clearly dominate player. So, yeah, people would have rightfully questioned a huge contract earlier.

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

True but maybe Q is waiting to see what happens in the market before signing.  

Yea this is what I'd do too.

Also, Payne just played on the Franchise tag and was about to be a FA. Quinnen is 2 years behind that timeline, he has less leverage IMO since we own his rights for the next 3 years for an average of about $18m per year.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't even see your reply here when I'd updated my post, but yes. By getting this done, Washington had a lot more $ to clear than the Jets will clear.

If there was a complaint about not getting this done, it was in not getting this done well before this month -- they could've worked out an extension any time after his 3rd season ended. I'm not getting what the delay accomplished, other than a little less injury risk.

Hopefully it's still around $25MM and doesn't jump to $30MM like the WRs. 

So, among DT…. The Aaron Donald contract is the equivalent of the Deshaun Watson contract. An outlier. I still think Q contract will be less than Payne contract. I’ll let you decide.

Daron Payne:

image.thumb.png.0b466a7d01cd2b229e9e87345babe05a.png

Quinnen Williams:

image.thumb.png.536afc4f22f7b5446bc3d043aff3036d.png

image.png

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea this is what I'd do too.

Also, Payne just played on the Franchise tag and was about to be a FA. Quinnen is 2 years behind that timeline, he has less leverage IMO since we own his rights for the next 3 years for an average of about $18m per year.

Exactly the point I was making. Q contract will be less$

• Upvote 1

Quinnen may think his value is $X/year, but the Jets can control him for less for at least 2 years.   So, basically, the game for Quinnen right now should be getting a guarantee for 2 plus years at a rate equal to market less the discount the Jets can lock him in at.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Problem is, it wasn't until this year that he became a clearly dominate player. So, yeah, people would have rightfully questioned a huge contract earlier.

And yet within this thread alone there has been comments about why it has taken so long for the FO to have signed him.  

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

When it comes time for Q to get paid, do you think he and his agent will consider the contractual status of the last guy to get paid and ask for less based on that, or will they not care in the least and demand more than that guy (and any guys who sign between now and then)?

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, among DT…. The Aaron Donald contract is the equivalent of the Deshaun Watson contract. An outlier. I still think Q contract will be less than Payne contract. I’ll let you decide.

Daron Payne:

Quinnen Williams:

image.png

4,100 snaps played vs 2,400 snaps played.

in 1,700 extra snaps, Payne has 100 more tackles, 7 TFL's and 1.5 fewer sacks.

Quinnen is getting more than him.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

When it comes time for Q to get paid, do you think he and his agent will consider the contractual status of the last guy to get paid and ask for less based on that, or will they not care in the least and demand more than that guy (and any guys who sign between now and then)?

They may, and then I believeJD will hold the line and have him play on his 5th year. 1 season a career do not make.

Then they negotiate again next year and the year after next if need be. Or they pull a Lamar Jackson and let him negotiate with other teams. Jets can match or take the two#1 picks.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

4,100 snaps played vs 2,400 snaps played.

in 1,700 extra snaps, Payne has 100 more tackles, 7 TFL's and 1.5 fewer sacks.

Quinnen is getting more than him.

Q is obviously taking more plays off and is well rested. Paynes probably taking 90% of snaps.

• Payne is a former first round pick who had a career season in 2022 finishing the year with 11.5 sacks and 18 tackles for loss while playing in nearly 90% of the snaps for Washington. 
overthecap.com/daron-payne-receives-the-franchise-tag

* Q took more than 20% fewer snaps.

Edited by 32EBoozer

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Q is obviously taking more plays off and is well rested. Paynes probably taking 90% of snaps.

• Payne is a former first round pick who had a career season in 2022 finishing the year with 11.5 sacks and 18 tackles for loss while playing in nearly 90% of the snaps for Washington. 
overthecap.com/daron-payne-receives-the-franchise-tag

* Q took more than 20% fewer snaps.

So you're suggesting that if Q played an additional 1,700 snaps, he would have fewer tackles and sacks?  In 1,700 snaps?

Edited by AFJF

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So you're suggesting that if Q played an additional 1,700 snaps, he would have fewer tackles and sacks?  In 1,700 snaps?

No…. He’d be injured and out for the season.

Daron Payne:

Quinnen Williams:

Edited by 32EBoozer

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

No…. He’d be injured and out for the season.

Daron Payne:

Quinnen Williams:

And what is this assumption based on?

Edited by AFJF

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Give him 4 years, $25M extension. Or $100M plus $9M (current 5th year option) equals $109M. Divide that by 5 and it averages out to $21.8M. Tear his current year up and let him playout a 4 year - $88M contract with $58M (2/3rd) guaranteed, $27M signing bonus. 

Deal.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And what is this assumption based on?

The same assumption that you project him to be a regular top 3 tackle in the league for the next 4 years. Everyone was calling for MacCagnans head for taking him where he was drafted. He didn’t put in the effort those 1st 2 years. 

I give him credit for realizing he was going to miss his big contract unless he hit the gym and stayed on the field, and he did that. Many on this board complaining about the rotation of DL. You’re paying a guy equal >$ to someone playing 20% fewer snaps. I say let’s see what he does this year…. Then throw bank at him.

I hope I’m still able to enter your country in May ?

13 hours ago, JetNation said:

Quinnen Williams

New York Jets GM Joe Douglas may be busy with Aaron Rodgers, but he knows that defensive tackle Quinnen Williams is going to be a very rich man. The question is, how rich is Williams going to be, and how long are the Jets going to wait to get his new deal done?

Quinnen Williams is going to be a problem for opposing offenses for the foreseeable future. Tosses the interior lineman into the backfield on this play. pic.twitter.com/7rc2YoPgIy

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) October 3, 2022

Earlier today the Washington Commanders inked their star DT Daron Payne to a 4-year $90 million deal with $60 million of that being guaranteed.

Sources: Washington’s franchise player Daron Payne became the highest-paid DT in NFL history not named Aaron Donald, reaching agreement today on a four-year, $90 million deal that includes $60 million guaranteed. pic.twitter.com/ZJsM2xnaSp

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 12, 2023

Had they acted sooner, the Jets may have been able to get Williams inked to a similar deal.  But as we know, when a top player gets a new contract, it had better exceed what the last guy got or you’re probably not getting that player signed.

This past season, Williams established himself as arguably the top defensive tackle in the NFL.  He logged a career high 12 sacks despite playing just 65% of the Jets defensive snaps.  In all reality, Williams was the catalyst behind the team’s success on defense last year.

With such a dominant interior rusher up front, Williams commanded double and triple teams, allowing his fellow linemen to get pressure on opposing QB’s, helping the secondary on the back end.  With no Williams, things look a lot different on defense for the Jets.

We’ve seen the Jets botch negotiations in year’s past, but Williams isn’t one the Jets can afford to play games with.  Joe Douglas and company should be looking to get a deal done ASAP.

The post New Contract for Commanders DT Should get Jets Moving on Quinnen Williams appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

The difference is Payne was on a franchise tag. The Jets still control quinnen for a year at lower cost before the tag. So he's not getting a new deal at those dollars unless he's willing to do it as a pure extension

• Upvote 2

He'll get his deal. Payne getting his is what we were going to give him "around" anyway. I think it's us seeing how this AR and FA thing shakes out 1st and see how we need to maneuver money around to extend Q. Remember that when we extend him, we will lower his 2023 cap hit likely from his 5th year option salary. So there's wiggle room there.