Jets Sign Ancient WR Randall Cobb

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I was being specific to targets for WR's.  Not overall team targets.

Who's 4th or 5th or whatever depends on the timing/use, no? 

When they go empty backfield with a TE, I expect to see Cobb on the field as the WR4 over Hardman when they need 5-8 yards, and Hardman over Cobb when they need 10+ yards. Don't use a hammer when you need a wrench; don't use a wrench when you need a screwdriver; etc. Once you get past the top 3 WRs they're not the multi-tool types who belong on the field no matter what down & distance or where they line up.

So it'd be unsurprising that Cobb may have more targets than Hardman, while Hardman still ends up with similar yardage, with both finishing in the 300-400 range, give or take (health permitting). I'm totally fine with that outcome from the WR4a and WR4b, which is how they'll more likely be used than a fantasy football roster's WR4 and WR5 hierarchy. 5 wideouts with no TE I expect to see both on the field. 

Also I see this as another hedge for Davis's health. Davis is fine when healthy; not elite, but fine. The problem is he often hasn't been the past two seasons & they'd rather swap him out for a more known-quantity higher floor than higher ceiling (again, swapping with Hardman based on down & distance). 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, static14 said:

People are angry that Randall Cobb is replacing like Jeff Smith?

he's taking the "JSN role". Or so I've heard. No idea what the JSN role is on the Jets.  But whatever it is Cobb is taking it.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, undertow said:

Bro you don't understand it's the reason we didn't draft JSN and won't give Hopkins 20 mil a year.?

Cobb is the really the secret reason why Aaron decided to come here. Shhhh.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did he learn ALL the special teams positions though?

Yeah so funny people bought that line in regards to Mims. The translation from baloney-to-English was “he stinks.”

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, undertow said:

Bro you don't understand it's the reason we didn't draft JSN and won't give Hopkins 20 mil a year.?

Cobb’s also the reason for global warming, judging by some of the adult freakouts on here.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, sciond said:

What did you expect JD to do as Donald Driver was not available....

umm

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

https://www.worldgreynews.com/details/276029/new-york-jets-sign-former-packers-wr-donald-driver-out-of-retirement-to-reunite-with-aaron-rodgers

Wed, 03 May 2023

New York Jets Sign Former Packers WR Donald Driver Out of Retirement to Reunite with Aaron Rodgers

The New York Jets have made headlines by signing former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver out of retirement.

The move is seen as a bold strategy to bring back the successful chemistry between Driver and newly acquired Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers. The two players were once a dynamic duo in Green Bay, and the Jets hope to replicate that success in the upcoming season.

Donald Driver, a seventh-round pick in the 1999 NFL Draft, played his entire 14-year career with the Green Bay Packers. Over his career, Driver accumulated 743 receptions, 10,137 receiving yards, and 61 touchdowns. He was selected to the Pro Bowl four times (2002, 2006, 2007, 2010) and played a pivotal role in the Packers' Super Bowl XLV victory in 2011. Driver retired in 2013 as the Packers' all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards.

Since retirement, Driver has led an adventurous and unconventional life. He took up professional trampoline dodgeball, quickly becoming a dominant player and leading his team, the "Bouncing Brawlers," to multiple championships. Driver's agility and hand-eye coordination, honed during his years in the NFL, proved invaluable in his new sport.

Driver also found success as a competitive underwater basket weaver, a niche activity that combines swimming and traditional basket weaving. His natural athleticism and dexterity helped him excel in the sport, and he soon became a world champion. In a surprising turn of events, Driver even participated in extreme ironing competitions, where athletes iron clothes in unusual and challenging locations such as mountain peaks and dense forests.

The Jets' decision to sign Driver out of retirement has raised eyebrows, as the former wide receiver will turn 48 this year. However, team management believes that Driver's incredible post-retirement activities have kept him in peak physical condition. They are optimistic that his experience, knowledge of the game, and chemistry with Aaron Rodgers will make a significant impact on the field.

As the Jets prepare for the upcoming season, fans eagerly await the return of the Rodgers-Driver connection. With Donald Driver's storied career and unique post-retirement exploits, this unexpected signing has the potential to create an unforgettable chapter in New York Jets history.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t hate this move? Clearly, he’s done and washed. I do like the leadership he brings and I only think it will benefit GW. He’s rarely going to see playing time. 

It's a good move.  We are not looking for Cobb to be Garrett Wilson.  We are looking for Randall Cobb to be on the field when it's 3rd and 5 and AR is looking for 'his' guy to make a catch when its needed.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

It's a good move.  We are not looking for Cobb to be Garrett Wilson.  We are looking for Randall Cobb to be on the field when it's 3rd and 5 and AR is looking for 'his' guy to make a catch when its needed.  

I would hope his guy in that spot is Wilson first and foremost. Our best WR.

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah so funny people bought that line in regards to Mims. The translation from baloney-to-English was “he stinks.”

False Mims is going to get cut because he isn't a very good Punter and this is a franchise that values versatility

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Was there anywhere in my post that I judged? I made a request, for both our benefit.

At least I know that you are without excuse on that great & terrible day.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Was there anywhere in my post that I judged? I made a request, for both our benefit.

Judgement was inherent in the request.  

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

At least I know that you are without excuse on that great & terrible day.

If you mean I am not a member of your particular flavor of faith, and do not adhere to it's tenants, you are quite correct.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Now that is a judgement

Just logic.  

Judgement is declaring someone is hell bound due to a lack of "excuses".

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

... and you referred to me in a round-about way as a hypocrite.

Got it.

No, I just cited your own text.  

It's not on me if you're selective in which passages you take seriously and which you do not.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

False Mims is going to get cut because he isn't a very good Punter and this is a franchise that values versatility

It is true, jets value versatility. Anything in the range between “not useless” and “stud” will suffice. Ciao, Mims.

• Upvote 1

wait, are there people that really think that the jets 1st round draft selection was impacted by the subsequent signing of cobb?  as if getting a specific player on a 4-year contract (with a 5th year option for R1 picks) would be discarded because they are about to sign a veteran to a 1-year deal?

that is just wacky.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Funny, it seems to me there are a lot more posts freaking out about phantom freakouts, than there are actual freakouts.

Ohhhhh reeeeallllly says the guy having a theological debate on a messageboard with two lousy rules, no religion happening to be one of them.

Just now, jgb said:

Ohhhhh reeeeallllly says the guy have a theological debate on a messageboard with two lousy rules, no religion happening to be one of them.

I'm having a conversation about censorship of language.

Not on me if the motivations of that censorship break site rules.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Am I the only person here wondering what a mote is?

news i dont think so GIF

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm having a conversation about censorship of language.

Not on me if the motivations of that censorship break site rules.

Yeah, I’m sorry but there happen to be other intelligent people here who won’t be confused by obfuscation. No religion. Knock it off or take it to PM.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just logic.  

Judgement is declaring someone is hell bound due to a lack of "excuses".

No, I just cited your own text.  

It's not on me if you're selective in which passages you take seriously and which you do not.

It's not on me that you got involved in a post I made to another individual asking that they not use the Lord's name in anger and without respect.

You are the one who brought up judgement and originally cited scripture to make a case for allowing blasphemy. I responded that you are responsible for the words you use. You own it, I am saddened by that.

• Thumb Down 2
  • More Ugh 1