I prevented a 5 star recruit from going to a major fb program

On 5/29/2023 at 10:20 PM, win4ever said:

Yeah, my plan is to quit real estate in 5 years, so go towards something else when I turn 40.  One of the paths I was considering was teaching, but that's pretty much out the window now.  Just not worth it, even though there were some great teachers along the way in my life.  I just don't think I would handle parents all that well.  

yeah I tell kids all the time not to get into this.  it's really just such a mess and so low paying that unless you're extremely passionate about the prospect of helping children reach their potential there really isnt much in it for you. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yeah I tell kids all the time not to get into this.  it's really just such a mess and so low paying that unless you're extremely passionate about the prospect of helping children reach their potential there really isnt much in it for you. 

Oh there is something very very special thats in it. Its called lots of free time and vacations. Thats the hook for me. But then again i got into this when i was almost 40 and already was on my 3rd house so financially the money to me is not as important as it would be to a 23 year old.

but no joke, my flight leaves today at 7pm and ill be in Europe until july 25 😆

14 hours ago, derp said:

I had wondered the same about the Llama Llama books, suspected the author was a single mom, looked it up, and she is divorced with I think two daughters.

I'm not surprised lol.  I think it was one of the issues I had with shows, where the dad would be like an idiot just waiting for mom to come fix everything.  Big reason why I like the show Bluey, seems more realistic.  

5 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yeah, it seems like a field that's going to keep losing talent.  Every teacher I know (admittedly not a lot lol) wants to quit and do something else but can't decide what to do.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I'm not surprised lol.  I think it was one of the issues I had with shows, where the dad would be like an idiot just waiting for mom to come fix everything.  Big reason why I like the show Bluey, seems more realistic.  

Yeah, it seems like a field that's going to keep losing talent.  Every teacher I know (admittedly not a lot lol) wants to quit and do something else but can't decide what to do.  

Yup, Bluey is great. Don’t know if you’ve read the Nelly Gnu book by the same author as Llama Llama but the dad in that one is more realistic as well. That one gets a lot of run in our house.

11 minutes ago, derp said:

Yup, Bluey is great. Don’t know if you’ve read the Nelly Gnu book by the same author as Llama Llama but the dad in that one is more realistic as well. That one gets a lot of run in our house.

I haven't, but just added it to the Amazon cart.  Thanks for the recommendation.  

9 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea thats an option, I think more so its about just raising salaries (especially in the middle part of the guide) and then making it less than 20 years to get to the top.  That would really help a ton for many of us.

how many teachers would quit if they had to get a 401k instead of the gold plated retirement plan (in nyc)?

my guess is more than will sign up with more near term pay.  

you can't recreate the pension in the private sector.

22 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Oh there is something very very special thats in it. Its called lots of free time and vacations. Thats the hook for me. But then again i got into this when i was almost 40 and already was on my 3rd house so financially the money to me is not as important as it would be to a 23 year old.

but no joke, my flight leaves today at 7pm and ill be in Europe until july 25 😆

haha i mean yea the time off is nice for sure, but honestly when I see what my GF gets for vacation time and packages for her job, i wonder why I do this lol... 

She got a free $1,000 to use on any vacation she wanted and gets some ridiculous amount of paid time off (that also rolls over every year).  On top of a lot of major holidays off.  

Thank god i teach PE and can wear shorts every day otherwise id have no perks ahaha

18 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yea many of them want out, but a lot dont know what to do.  If you teach math, english, or science you can find a job out of education pretty easily.  Us PE teachers have a little harder time finding a new home outside of anything not related to personal training. 

17 hours ago, batman10023 said:

how many teachers would quit if they had to get a 401k instead of the gold plated retirement plan (in nyc)?

my guess is more than will sign up with more near term pay.  

you can't recreate the pension in the private sector.

I don’t think those Cadillac plans exist anymore. The issue is the older teachers who had them and have retired are living a lot longer. Defined pension and more or less free healthcare for life. Hence the crazy property taxes. Also, NY has much smaller school districts than the rest of the country. Kick the can down the road model never works out budget wise.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think those Cadillac plans exist anymore. The issue is the older teachers who had them and have retired are living a lot longer. Defined pension and more or less free healthcare for life. Hence the crazy property taxes. Also, NY has much smaller school districts than the rest of the country. Kick the can down the road model never works out budget wise.

NYC still has a pretty good plan according to my friend who is a teacher.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:22 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

I am too. Unfortunately this is our reality currently.  It's up to all of us to keep speaking up and telling everyone how it REALLY is not the sugar coated excuse laden version people get through the media. 

respectfully in some of the larger districts (chicago) the teachers are getting huge raises and benefits that will bankrupt the city in my view.

obviously some places (smaller, rural areas for example) are severely under paying teachers.  so not a blanket statement.

On 6/1/2023 at 7:52 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

is it really low paying?  or is it low paying now but it all gets made up later.   my wife pays $800 a month for our healthcare with about $2k a year in deductibles.  there is $10k benefit right there that people have to remember.

I believe NYC says the value of the pension benefits is 40% of current salary and i think that's low given how long people are living.  a teacher with 5 years of experience makes $82k.  so all in about $120k a year with 5 years experience.   Not out of this world by any stretch but also not terrible.

a 55 year old teacher with 30 years of experience can retire with a pension of 55% of the last salary (which is over 100k).  what job will give you 25 years of benefits at $55k a year?

try retiring on the corporate 401k contribution of 6% a year.  it's impossible.

i would rather pay teachers more and put them on a traditional retirement plan - but it's not happening.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

haha i mean yea the time off is nice for sure, but honestly when I see what my GF gets for vacation time and packages for her job, i wonder why I do this lol... 

She got a free $1,000 to use on any vacation she wanted and gets some ridiculous amount of paid time off (that also rolls over every year).  On top of a lot of major holidays off.  

Thank god i teach PE and can wear shorts every day otherwise id have no perks ahaha

what does your GF do?

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Oh the plans are still good. But the old plans that my grandmothers had were highway robbery. 

there is no incentive for folks to try to limit the benefits.  it's always going to be the next person's problem.

300k people work for nyc.  only 800k nyc people vote in elections.  there are over 500k retired city employees.  

think about the number of people who either work for, married to someone who works for or retired person/spouse.   they will never change the system until the city is broke.

there are very few people in nyc who aren't either employeed by the city (or retired) or on some sort of welfare.   so have to be realistic about what if anything will change until too late.

• Upvote 2

On 6/2/2023 at 5:02 PM, batman10023 said:

respectfully in some of the larger districts (chicago) the teachers are getting huge raises and benefits that will bankrupt the city in my view.

obviously some places (smaller, rural areas for example) are severely under paying teachers.  so not a blanket statement.

Its all a matter of perspective.  Cant speak to the chicago market because I dont know much about the situation.  If its bankrupting the city then then the city probably needs some way to balance it all out.  I'm not sure what teachers there were making before these raises, if they are raises for all teacher or rather for administration, so on and so forth. Theres a lot that goes into these things. 

On 6/2/2023 at 5:16 PM, batman10023 said:

is it really low paying?  or is it low paying now but it all gets made up later.   my wife pays $800 a month for our healthcare with about $2k a year in deductibles.  there is $10k benefit right there that people have to remember.

I believe NYC says the value of the pension benefits is 40% of current salary and i think that's low given how long people are living.  a teacher with 5 years of experience makes $82k.  so all in about $120k a year with 5 years experience.   Not out of this world by any stretch but also not terrible.

a 55 year old teacher with 30 years of experience can retire with a pension of 55% of the last salary (which is over 100k).  what job will give you 25 years of benefits at $55k a year?

try retiring on the corporate 401k contribution of 6% a year.  it's impossible.

i would rather pay teachers more and put them on a traditional retirement plan - but it's not happening.

depends where you look, its all a matter of perspective.  For instance with full disclosure I have 8 years of experience, 2 masters degrees and make under 80k.. Thats in bergen county nj.  

The pension has different teirs so if you got into teaching a while ago you are in the lower teirs which get much easier to hit your marks.  I am in teir 5 so for me its 30 years and they are telling us now to not count on even receiving the pension long term.  Instead they are saying to open an IRA to go with our 403b (a 401k for you).  

Like i said its all different, some teachers are in great distrcits that make 125k a year and are loving life.  Its not a blanket every teacher has these issues, but I would say when you look at all of the data it is an overwhelming majority that are struggling.  

37 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

depends where you look, its all a matter of perspective.  For instance with full disclosure I have 8 years of experience, 2 masters degrees and make under 80k.. Thats in bergen county nj.  

The pension has different teirs so if you got into teaching a while ago you are in the lower teirs which get much easier to hit your marks.  I am in teir 5 so for me its 30 years and they are telling us now to not count on even receiving the pension long term.  Instead they are saying to open an IRA to go with our 403b (a 401k for you).  

Like i said its all different, some teachers are in great distrcits that make 125k a year and are loving life.  Its not a blanket every teacher has these issues, but I would say when you look at all of the data it is an overwhelming majority that are struggling.  

Do you tutor or coach?

On 5/16/2023 at 5:20 PM, HighPitch said:

So imma keep this cryptic…

A 5 star recruit with a full ride to play fb at a major university.

Problem is he did not come to many classes. One class in particular is my buddies class. He has attended this class 25 times all year. Did 4 or 5 assignments maybe…. All copied.

Anyways this college is about to take their offer back unless his grades in this class change. He deserved all Fs, but he was asked to change them all to… get this: all Bs.

This man feels pressured and doesnt know what to do. I pretty much changed his mind saying it was absolutely unethical and that he could lose his license.

I felt bad for the kid until another teacher told me he was caught skipping and told the teacher “yea you dont know who I am….I do what I want” Then I found out that his dad played for a team that we all HATE. I mean HATE. The worst.

So I talked this teacher into NOT changing any grades and now he is going to lose his scholarship 

I’m guessing the kid didn’t have a scholarship to go to Alabama?

On 5/31/2023 at 9:27 PM, win4ever said:

Lol, I feel the pain of long books.  My wife's best friend is a librarian, and one of her bridesmaids is a teacher, so they sent a ton of books to each other for him.  Thankfully, he hasn't gotten into the really long books yet, but there are some that are just so annoyingly long.  Like watching an opponent drive against the Jets D in the Todd Bowles era.  Just when you think it's time to stop, there's some stupid twist.  

Lol, going back to your last post, yeah our parents were very much like that.  Literally wouldn't spend money on eating out (McDonald's was like the big reward if we did or some local Asian place) but everything education was stressed like a pressure cooker.  I had a basketball hoop in the backyard, and dad would get upset because he wanted to rest in the evening.  Yet, he would also drive 40 mins into Yonkers (or Ardsley) for this BS tutoring center called Score.  

So far, we only have 1, so it's been fairly easy.  We are thinking about another one because we find ourselves looking at his baby pictures and missing some of those days.  

Lol, we have the same issue with dinosaurs too.  The big thing for now with him is he likes to build Legos as a surprise, but we have to close our eyes.  Literally had to eat dinner today, pretending to close my eyes because he had a surprise for us with these structures.  When he was 2, had this really bad case of reflux.  If he did anything after eating, he'd vomit.  So we would try to force him to sit in the high chair for about 20-30 mins after eating and distracted.  So instead of the usual videos, I would put on videos that taught shapes, counting, dinosaurs, etc.  So then a year later (well after we didn't have to do these videos for him), he'd see a dinosaur figure and be like "Dada, that's a velociraptor or that's a Spinosaurus".  I'll be like wtf?  Google it because I don't know myself, and he'd be right lol.  

Lol funny how similar our stories are!

On 5/31/2023 at 10:27 PM, win4ever said:

Lol, I feel the pain of long books.  My wife's best friend is a librarian, and one of her bridesmaids is a teacher, so they sent a ton of books to each other for him.  Thankfully, he hasn't gotten into the really long books yet, but there are some that are just so annoyingly long.  Like watching an opponent drive against the Jets D in the Todd Bowles era.  Just when you think it's time to stop, there's some stupid twist.  

Lol, going back to your last post, yeah our parents were very much like that.  Literally wouldn't spend money on eating out (McDonald's was like the big reward if we did or some local Asian place) but everything education was stressed like a pressure cooker.  I had a basketball hoop in the backyard, and dad would get upset because he wanted to rest in the evening.  Yet, he would also drive 40 mins into Yonkers (or Ardsley) for this BS tutoring center called Score.  

So far, we only have 1, so it's been fairly easy.  We are thinking about another one because we find ourselves looking at his baby pictures and missing some of those days.  

Lol, we have the same issue with dinosaurs too.  The big thing for now with him is he likes to build Legos as a surprise, but we have to close our eyes.  Literally had to eat dinner today, pretending to close my eyes because he had a surprise for us with these structures.  When he was 2, had this really bad case of reflux.  If he did anything after eating, he'd vomit.  So we would try to force him to sit in the high chair for about 20-30 mins after eating and distracted.  So instead of the usual videos, I would put on videos that taught shapes, counting, dinosaurs, etc.  So then a year later (well after we didn't have to do these videos for him), he'd see a dinosaur figure and be like "Dada, that's a velociraptor or that's a Spinosaurus".  I'll be like wtf?  Google it because I don't know myself, and he'd be right lol.  

Yep.  I am already missing the days when he was three and rolling his eyes at me and saying "Dad, that's a parasaurolophus."

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  I am already missing the days when he was three and rolling his eyes at me and saying "Dad, that's a parasaurolophus."

I'd always get that one and the pachycephalosaurus mixed up, and my (at the time) 2.5 year old son would say, "no pappa! Pachy has a hemlet (helmet)!" but he would say it in the most exasperated way like how dare I get them mixed up. Eventually I started mixing them up on purpose just to get him to do it, and we have it on video. It's still one of my favorite videos to go back to when I miss him being that age, as opposed to the entitled tantrumy 4 year old he is now. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Its all a matter of perspective.  Cant speak to the chicago market because I dont know much about the situation.  If its bankrupting the city then then the city probably needs some way to balance it all out.  I'm not sure what teachers there were making before these raises, if they are raises for all teacher or rather for administration, so on and so forth. Theres a lot that goes into these things. 

chicago teachers are known to be very aggressive.

not all places are like that - not even close.

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

sorry, i just know about NYC.  I thought the suburbs of NYC also paid very well.

so it appears the districts are squeezing the new teachers very heavily versus the older teachers.

wasn't saying it's all rosy for all teachers.  i have read in some states teachers are very under-paid.

for the record, we like 80% of our kids public school teachers so far.  they have been very good and happy we didn't do private from K.  

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

sorry, i just know about NYC.  I thought the suburbs of NYC also paid very well.

so it appears the districts are squeezing the new teachers very heavily versus the older teachers.

wasn't saying it's all rosy for all teachers.  i have read in some states teachers are very under-paid.

for the record, we like 80% of our kids public school teachers so far.  they have been very good and happy we didn't do private from K.  

NYC is a very unique place.  A lot of the schools there are charter schools and the public system there is unique to the city itself.  NYS has a completely different format than the city.  In fact I would argue NYS is the better system to work in because they pay well and the cost of living there is much lower than in the city.  

Bergen county in NJ is where things are interesting because a lot of the towns are very small.  NJ has handcuffed their teachers not allowing them to live anywhere else but NJ which on the surface seems like a good idea, has actually complicated a lot of things. If a teacher making 80k were to be able to live over the boarder in NYS where the cost of living is significantly cheaper (both house prices, and taxes) compared to bergen county, it would lessen the burden.  

Bergen county salaries, because there are so many schools and some towns are very small, are generally pretty low comparatively to the cost of living.  While one may look at the data and see a higher starting salary (some schools start in the mid 50s) or a great top of the guide (the highest paying in the state is in bergen county topping out at 125k), there are different factors that are at play.  For instance, for a top of the guide to be 125k you'd have to max out your education (in that case having a PHD) and then put in the requisite years (that district takes 18 years to hit that salary).  So really teachers have to spend a ton out of pocket to 1) get the education required to get to that level of salary, and 2) work for over a decade with those degrees making far less than that waiting to get to that point. 

~edit: for those that are unaware, teaching contracts are on a tiered system that goes laterally by level of education and vertically by years of experience.  So a teacher with 12 years and a bachelor may be making 80k where a teacher with 12 years and 2 masters may make 92k (that is just taken from the salary guide at my friends district).  Every "pay increase"  is a fixed amount. 

Where as in a different career  you wouldnt need to spend your own money getting degrees just to tick boxes for higher salary, and can make limitless jumps in salary based on promotions or performance incentives.   Combine all that with Bergen county cost of living (top 3 most expensive places to live in the entire country) and it becomes a real struggle for people to afford to live let alone only work 1 job. 

• Post of the Week 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 8:59 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea many of them want out, but a lot dont know what to do.  If you teach math, english, or science you can find a job out of education pretty easily.  Us PE teachers have a little harder time finding a new home outside of anything not related to personal training. 

Yeah, my wife's friend is an art teacher.  She likes her job but pay is like one step above McDonalds so she's really regretting her choice now.

On 6/5/2023 at 10:43 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Lol funny how similar our stories are!

Lol, I think what I found from Social media is that a lot of parenting is basically the same. 

I remember once I posted somewhere that I felt discriminated as a father at the doctor's office because the triage nurse literally kept turning to my wife to confirm everything I told her, even though I bought the kid to the ER and my wife came from work.  A ton of people chimed in saying me too.  

On 6/5/2023 at 10:56 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Lol, yesterday I was walking down the stairs.  He was doing the two step jumps, so I told him to be careful.  He turns around and says "I am being careful, JESUS CHRIST!!"  I was like wtf

• Upvote 2

On 5/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, HighPitch said:

might be jif. But the buck stops here!

And ironically youre the one that will suffer from all this.

DAG NABIT! I said tooo much!!!

Most Florida players have to cheat to get through school so no problem there.

On 6/18/2023 at 7:48 AM, maury77 said:

I agree with a lot of the various points people have made here, but this player is a minor and this may affect his ability to earn a living down the road. I did a lot of dumb stuff when I was a minor. 

So did i but i never had an arrogance regarding graduating. Bs and Cs but I earned my diploma. I may have cut school 5-10 days during senior year but I did not avoid math class for 8 or 9 weeks straight.

Sorry Maury cant agree with the “ability to earn” argument. He can earn 15 an hour flipping burgers as far as im concerNed