I prevented a 5 star recruit from going to a major fb program

Wait is this new?  If you were even remotely college material in one of the 3 majors sports in my High School you got the royal treatment.  I was getting offers from colleges the size of my HS and they gave me it.  I didn’t show up for Biology for the first 4 weeks but like once and was obviously failing so they put me in weight lifting instead. I would skip school and the school resource officer who worked the scoreboard during my games would tell me to bring her back a bagel. My coach had to convince my Spanish teacher to give me a D so I would be eligible senior year.  The kid that was NFL bound and the MLB bound one, literally didn’t come to school.  This seems like normal star athlete treatment to me.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Unfortunately the changing of grades is a common practice in education today.  It doesn't just pertain to athletes either.  Any student, particularly seniors, that are in danger of failing is subject to this behavior. i know of many instances personally and for others, where guidance departments, counselors, and administrators talking to teachers asking "can he have extensions, alternate assignments, drop older assignments, excuse work etc. in order for so and so to get a C or higher".  In some districts (mine in particular) the topic of a minimum floor was brought up by the BOE.  In this scenario the worst grade a student could receive is a 50 on an assignment.  While this is still considered failing it is essentially w saying that a student, even if they hand in 0 work, will receive half credit for the assignment.  Thus making it easier for them to "make up work" and get a passing grade.  

The countries educational system is collapsing.  But this isn't an argument for a fun sports forum. 

The educational system is a joke, disguised as being advanced.  I meet people in my business that legitimately make me wonder how they hold down a job.  

Couple of personal stories:

Back in high school, I took AP Calculus my senior year, and we had 8 kids in our class because it was elective.  All 8 kids were in the top 10 for the graduating class, so pretty much straight As.  The teacher was extremely smart, knew the formulas and math at a ridiculous level.  He just didn't know how to teach it.  He would show examples of how to do it, which everyone got following the steps, but once you added a small wrinkle to it, we were all confused.  We understood the steps for particular examples, but didn't understand the concepts.  First quarter, not a single person passed a test.  Our highest score by the Valedictorian was a 54 (I think, or a 58).  Everyone freaking out because these scores also go for college applications.  Get report card, and see EVERYONE got a 90.  All 8 kids just got a 90.  Not a single one of us actually passed a test.  Once we knew this, no one cared at all.  Didn't learn a single thing that year, because they gave out 90 for all 4 quarters.  We didn't even have tests.  The college guidance councilor couldn't understand how I got college credit for 5 AP courses but got nothing for Calculus with a 90 grade lol.   

Then I get to college and taking pre-med.  One of the classes is like one step above basic Bio, so like Bio 102.  I'm sitting next to a kid on the basketball team and this kid literally can't even read the syllabus or course outline.  He's asking me and other kids questions like "Do we have a final?" when it literally says Final Exam on 12/15 on the paper he's looking at.  Didn't show up to class most days, hard to miss because he was like 6'8", and still passed the class somehow.  

At this point, schools are just a business.  Keep passing kids off so no one questions the education system.  My kid is in Pre-K, and he recently got an award for reading aloud in the class.  I was like WTF, does no one else know how to read in this class?  I think part of the problem is that parents see schools as solely responsible for raising their child, and put in no effort.  When the pandemic happened, I was home a lot with then 2 year old.  I got him to count to 50, put together puzzles (not the hard ones, the ones where it says horse and then it's shaped like a horse so you put it in the slot), and play with developmental stuff like the khan academy.  He goes to school next year, and they are teaching kids to count to 10, or basically just watch movies.  

Pertaining to the subject, great job standing on morals.  That guy will get some other school to fake the grades on a "Remember us, if you make it big" deal.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

The educational system is a joke, disguised as being advanced.  I meet people in my business that legitimately make me wonder how they hold down a job.  

Couple of personal stories:

Back in high school, I took AP Calculus my senior year, and we had 8 kids in our class because it was elective.  All 8 kids were in the top 10 for the graduating class, so pretty much straight As.  The teacher was extremely smart, knew the formulas and math at a ridiculous level.  He just didn't know how to teach it.  He would show examples of how to do it, which everyone got following the steps, but once you added a small wrinkle to it, we were all confused.  We understood the steps for particular examples, but didn't understand the concepts.  First quarter, not a single person passed a test.  Our highest score by the Valedictorian was a 54 (I think, or a 58).  Everyone freaking out because these scores also go for college applications.  Get report card, and see EVERYONE got a 90.  All 8 kids just got a 90.  Not a single one of us actually passed a test.  Once we knew this, no one cared at all.  Didn't learn a single thing that year, because they gave out 90 for all 4 quarters.  We didn't even have tests.  The college guidance councilor couldn't understand how I got college credit for 5 AP courses but got nothing for Calculus with a 90 grade lol.   

Then I get to college and taking pre-med.  One of the classes is like one step above basic Bio, so like Bio 102.  I'm sitting next to a kid on the basketball team and this kid literally can't even read the syllabus or course outline.  He's asking me and other kids questions like "Do we have a final?" when it literally says Final Exam on 12/15 on the paper he's looking at.  Didn't show up to class most days, hard to miss because he was like 6'8", and still passed the class somehow.  

At this point, schools are just a business.  Keep passing kids off so no one questions the education system.  My kid is in Pre-K, and he recently got an award for reading aloud in the class.  I was like WTF, does no one else know how to read in this class?  I think part of the problem is that parents see schools as solely responsible for raising their child, and put in no effort.  When the pandemic happened, I was home a lot with then 2 year old.  I got him to count to 50, put together puzzles (not the hard ones, the ones where it says horse and then it's shaped like a horse so you put it in the slot), and play with developmental stuff like the khan academy.  He goes to school next year, and they are teaching kids to count to 10, or basically just watch movies.  

Pertaining to the subject, great job standing on morals.  That guy will get some other school to fake the grades on a "Remember us, if you make it big" deal.  

I think you hit the nail on the head here with the "schools are a business" line.  the issue becomes that its not a business to the teachers, we all TRY to hold these kids to a standard, and create a level of accountability within our classrooms.  It is the administrators many times that are forcing teachers hands in order to maintain high graduation rates and testing scores. It also isnt all administrations fault either as many times these mandates come down from either the super (who may be getting political pressure from the mayor) or the board of ed (looking to maintain and increase their home values).  People dont think about how an on paper "high performing" school district effects so many other aspects of a town.  People looking to buy homes flock to areas with schools labeled as "blue ribbon" or "high performing" so that they can have their students in a great college prep environment.  The problem is all the numbers are fudged for the most part.  

Now caveat is that there are a number of these districts actually just are high performing.  But as an example, I know one in particular that I wont name that has very well ranked school and is a currently very desirable small bergen county town (multiple homes in the million dollar range).  This town has a policy where no student can be denied retaking any assignment at any time, allowing them to erase 0's or bad grades whenever they see fit.  They also have "strongly suggested" that teachers refrain from giving 0s on assignments rather just incomplete for now.  Now this town is considered to have a very good school system (A- rating on Niche) however its numbers for students achievement are all fudged.   It's all about money and state funding... that is what is really killing the system, and teachers are not being paid enough to deal with the pressure so they just relent out of frustration and exhaustion. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head here with the "schools are a business" line.  the issue becomes that its not a business to the teachers, we all TRY to hold these kids to a standard, and create a level of accountability within our classrooms.  It is the administrators many times that are forcing teachers hands in order to maintain high graduation rates and testing scores. It also isnt all administrations fault either as many times these mandates come down from either the super (who may be getting political pressure from the mayor) or the board of ed (looking to maintain and increase their home values).  People dont think about how an on paper "high performing" school district effects so many other aspects of a town.  People looking to buy homes flock to areas with schools labeled as "blue ribbon" or "high performing" so that they can have their students in a great college prep environment.  The problem is all the numbers are fudged for the most part.  

Now caveat is that there are a number of these districts actually just are high performing.  But as an example, I know one in particular that I wont name that has very well ranked school and is a currently very desirable small bergen county town (multiple homes in the million dollar range).  This town has a policy where no student can be denied retaking any assignment at any time, allowing them to erase 0's or bad grades whenever they see fit.  They also have "strongly suggested" that teachers refrain from giving 0s on assignments rather just incomplete for now.  Now this town is considered to have a very good school system (A- rating on Niche) however its numbers for students achievement are all fudged.   It's all about money and state funding... that is what is really killing the system, and teachers are not being paid enough to deal with the pressure so they just relent out of frustration and exhaustion. 

When I joined real estate, there were a TON of former teachers in my training classes, to the point where I thought there was some teacher incentive or something going on.  Eventually, got around to talking to them about teaching, and pretty much everyone liked the aspect of teaching, but said everything else was stacked right against them.  

- Not enough pay, so you're barely scraping by, and it creates resentment.  More teachers suck up to management to move up grades, and get better pay.   They moved to real estate because they had parent connections, and made better money working less hours.  

- All management cares are about numbers, kids that are clearly struggling just pushed upwards so the school doesn't look bad.  This was made worse at public schools.  I remember hearing somewhere that high end ivy colleges and high end private schools have great students because they can pick and choose at admission times.  The ones with the best ability are picked, thus the teaching style may not differ much, but the quality of the students improve.  In public schools, everyone gets accepted, so the teachers are left to educate them without screwing up the numbers. 

- As kids grow older, there's very little respect for teachers and there's really no backup from administration unless it's something blatant.  

I'm not surprised to hear your take, because school systems matter so much for real estate prices, tax hikes, etc.  I've had people tell me the No. 1 priority in their house search is a particular school zone, everything else came second.  My wife works in HR and she keeps saying degrees are starting to feel more and more useless.  In various jobs, the people with less education on paper were better workers than the ones with degrees.  People in logistics that didn't know how to do math type of stuff.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

When I joined real estate, there were a TON of former teachers in my training classes, to the point where I thought there was some teacher incentive or something going on.  Eventually, got around to talking to them about teaching, and pretty much everyone liked the aspect of teaching, but said everything else was stacked right against them.  

- Not enough pay, so you're barely scraping by, and it creates resentment.  More teachers suck up to management to move up grades, and get better pay.   They moved to real estate because they had parent connections, and made better money working less hours.  

- All management cares are about numbers, kids that are clearly struggling just pushed upwards so the school doesn't look bad.  This was made worse at public schools.  I remember hearing somewhere that high end ivy colleges and high end private schools have great students because they can pick and choose at admission times.  The ones with the best ability are picked, thus the teaching style may not differ much, but the quality of the students improve.  In public schools, everyone gets accepted, so the teachers are left to educate them without screwing up the numbers. 

- As kids grow older, there's very little respect for teachers and there's really no backup from administration unless it's something blatant.  

I'm not surprised to hear your take, because school systems matter so much for real estate prices, tax hikes, etc.  I've had people tell me the No. 1 priority in their house search is a particular school zone, everything else came second.  My wife works in HR and she keeps saying degrees are starting to feel more and more useless.  In various jobs, the people with less education on paper were better workers than the ones with degrees.  People in logistics that didn't know how to do math type of stuff.  

All of those points are SPOT ON.  Its unfortunate.  I am someone with a dual certified bachelors and 2 masters degrees and will be making a salary that barely would have covered 1 degree.  The system is stacked against teachers and with inflations extremely fast rise, salaries have not come close to increasing enough to cover the cost of living.  A teacher (someone with less than 9 years in a district) often times has to work two jobs to have enough to cover expenses in Bergen County.  Rent being anywhere from 1400-2000 thats about equal to 1 paycheck for a teacher after heavy deductions (union fees, health care, pension, 403B).  People get skewed because they see the top end of the pay scales (the best district in the state tops out at 125k, where most are 100k or slightly better), but often times those numbers take 20 years to get to.... let that sink in 20 YEARS and that doesnt account for times where there are pay freezes due to failed contract negotiations (which take place every 3 years)...  

Combine that with the increasing disrespect from students (I asked a kid yesterday, who was 17, to put his scooter away and not ride it in the gym and he told me to "go f' myself") who would go to college, put themselves in debt, to work under those conditions?  Go to school rack up student loans to come out and make anywhere from 45-55k and then have to deal with the admins breathing down your back about falsifying grades and students doing that to you?  lol and they cant figure out why theres a massive teacher shortage.  

Its borderline comical at this point, but I love coaching and love teaching so I stay. 

adam levine television GIF by The Voice

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

All of those points are SPOT ON.  Its unfortunate.  I am someone with a dual certified bachelors and 2 masters degrees and will be making a salary that barely would have covered 1 degree.  The system is stacked against teachers and with inflations extremely fast rise, salaries have not come close to increasing enough to cover the cost of living.  A teacher (someone with less than 9 years in a district) often times has to work two jobs to have enough to cover expenses in Bergen County.  Rent being anywhere from 1400-2000 thats about equal to 1 paycheck for a teacher after heavy deductions (union fees, health care, pension, 403B).  People get skewed because they see the top end of the pay scales (the best district in the state tops out at 125k, where most are 100k or slightly better), but often times those numbers take 20 years to get to.... let that sink in 20 YEARS and that doesnt account for times where there are pay freezes due to failed contract negotiations (which take place every 3 years)...  

Combine that with the increasing disrespect from students (I asked a kid yesterday, who was 17, to put his scooter away and not ride it in the gym and he told me to "go f' myself") who would go to college, put themselves in debt, to work under those conditions?  Go to school rack up student loans to come out and make anywhere from 45-55k and then have to deal with the admins breathing down your back about falsifying grades and students doing that to you?  lol and they cant figure out why theres a massive teacher shortage.  

Its borderline comical at this point, but I love coaching and love teaching so I stay. 

The northeast is obscenely expensive. My wife was an elementary school teacher and changed careers and makes like more than double now in a lower cost of living area.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yeesh, that's rough, especially after all the degrees.    Yeah, cost of living has gone through the roof but salaries just aren't keeping up at all.  One of my wife's closest friends is a teacher and she's drowning in student loan debt, and living paycheck to paycheck.  I felt bad for her because she's a good person that would make a good teacher, but pay is ridiculously low for the amount of work.  

The disrespect is blatant at this point, because kids know there are just slaps on the wrists as consequences anyway.  Of the teachers that I know, only one is happy, and she's an English as a Second Language teacher.  She likes it because the people in that class actually want to learn and they respect her.  A teenager thinks no one can touch them, and that if something happens the parents and administrators will just back them.  

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the school system drops further down in world rankings, because the baseline education seems to be teaching just more entitlement.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, Matt39 said:

The northeast is obscenely expensive. My wife was an elementary school teacher and changed careers and makes like more than double now in a lower cost of living area.  

If i didnt have an amazing coaching job that I am very dedicated to, I would have left a while ago as well.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2023 at 11:15 PM, win4ever said:

Yeesh, that's rough, especially after all the degrees.    Yeah, cost of living has gone through the roof but salaries just aren't keeping up at all.  One of my wife's closest friends is a teacher and she's drowning in student loan debt, and living paycheck to paycheck.  I felt bad for her because she's a good person that would make a good teacher, but pay is ridiculously low for the amount of work.  

The disrespect is blatant at this point, because kids know there are just slaps on the wrists as consequences anyway.  Of the teachers that I know, only one is happy, and she's an English as a Second Language teacher.  She likes it because the people in that class actually want to learn and they respect her.  A teenager thinks no one can touch them, and that if something happens the parents and administrators will just back them.  

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the school system drops further down in world rankings, because the baseline education seems to be teaching just more entitlement.  

Yea you need the degrees in order to make more money, but its incremental compared to what you pay and how much you get check to check.  My school is cutting teacher for budget cuts and looking at open positions, I don't know how anyone could afford this profession anymore.  Looking at other school districts, my salary with my time served and education in most districts is a 65-68k salary.  Thats after close to a decade in the profession too.  So it just goes to show you why everyone is leaving.   Hell my GF and I just bought a house in bergen county, no shot in hell i could afford it if it wasn't for her enormous salary.  Due to my salary restrictions ive been forced to rent a studio apartment for basically a decade to make sure I always had enough money. 

The system will collapse sooner or later.  Its unsustainable at the current rate. People are leaving the profession, less are getting into it (record lows for educational degrees in universities) and the number of children in the schools is growing creating more demand.  Only a matter of time before it breaks completely. 

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea you need the degrees in order to make more money, but its incremental compared to what you pay and how much you get check to check.  My school is cutting teacher for budget cuts and looking at open positions, I don't know how anyone could afford this profession anymore.  Looking at other school districts, my salary with my time served and education in most districts is a 65-68k salary.  Thats after close to a decade in the profession too.  So it just goes to show you why everyone is leaving.   Hell my GF and I just bought a house in bergen county, no shot in hell i could afford it if it wasn't for her enormous salary.  Due to my salary restrictions ive been forced to rent a studio apartment for basically a decade to make sure I always had enough money. 

The system will collapse sooner or later.  Its unsustainable at the current rate. People are leaving the profession, less are getting into it (record lows for educational degrees in universities) and the number of children in the schools is growing creating more demand.  Only a matter of time before it breaks completely. 

It's one of those jobs that took a nosedive in recent years, in terms of salary and respect.  Parents don't want to pay extra, but none of them want to do the extra work in educating their child either.  Administrators don't care one bit, because it's all about keeping the funding for them, and it starts really early.  I have no idea why teachers would want to be full time other than some love for teaching.   

Even programs that are designed to help teachers are basically a scam.  As I work in real estate, there's this program called Homes for Heroes.  Basically, helps teachers, nurses, police, etc buy homes by providing some down payment help.  Figured it was a good thing, so I called them up to sign up for the program, so I can offer the program to clients.  Especially because I was working with a nurse that might have qualified, so they set up an "interview" with me.  Knew it was BS the moment the lady started by invoking 9/11 and if I loved heroes in our country.  So to join the program, I would have to pay $125 per month (which I was like ok, I can do that), but then donate like 33% of my gross commission to them.  They take this commission, then deduct like 25% for themselves and their overhead costs, and then pay the rest to the heroes. 

So I'm sitting there, wondering, what exactly do you add to the process?  I find the client, I tell people about the program, I pay you monthly fees, I pay the commission cut, and all you do is take money for overhead costs?  You're not adding any value to the process and then get paid for overhead costs.  It would actually be more beneficial if I just cut my commission for folks that need help, rather than go through this program.  They say all kinds of verbiage about loving heroes and the community, and then do absolutely nothing. 

Which somewhat tied into what I feel is the general feeling of politics and businesses towards these fields, especially teachers.  Everyone says the right things, everyone acts like they care, but no one actually foots the bills.  Politicians wax poetic about kids and our future, but will slash teachers, school fundings, and anything possible on the back end.  Parents don't want taxes to go higher nor offer any help in teaching kids, because there's a large amount of folks that see school as glorified daycare.  Our son is in Pre-K, and we try to show up for school events, and there's like 3 parents there. 

I was talking to someone about schools, and they mentioned that it feels like school is going to move towards an online format.  One teacher going over lessons in a large classroom, and then low paid chaperones to keep the kids somewhat in line.  That the days of the teacher being at the head of the class in person would be limited.  Almost a work from home type teacher, and how it's already spreading with online courses in college.  It would save money because a lot of the teaching jobs could be outsourced for cheaper, and that the whole negligence aspect is bound to break the system where no one wants to do the job here.   

On 5/22/2023 at 2:32 PM, win4ever said:

It's one of those jobs that took a nosedive in recent years, in terms of salary and respect.  Parents don't want to pay extra, but none of them want to do the extra work in educating their child either.  Administrators don't care one bit, because it's all about keeping the funding for them, and it starts really early.  I have no idea why teachers would want to be full time other than some love for teaching.   

Even programs that are designed to help teachers are basically a scam.  As I work in real estate, there's this program called Homes for Heroes.  Basically, helps teachers, nurses, police, etc buy homes by providing some down payment help.  Figured it was a good thing, so I called them up to sign up for the program, so I can offer the program to clients.  Especially because I was working with a nurse that might have qualified, so they set up an "interview" with me.  Knew it was BS the moment the lady started by invoking 9/11 and if I loved heroes in our country.  So to join the program, I would have to pay $125 per month (which I was like ok, I can do that), but then donate like 33% of my gross commission to them.  They take this commission, then deduct like 25% for themselves and their overhead costs, and then pay the rest to the heroes. 

So I'm sitting there, wondering, what exactly do you add to the process?  I find the client, I tell people about the program, I pay you monthly fees, I pay the commission cut, and all you do is take money for overhead costs?  You're not adding any value to the process and then get paid for overhead costs.  It would actually be more beneficial if I just cut my commission for folks that need help, rather than go through this program.  They say all kinds of verbiage about loving heroes and the community, and then do absolutely nothing. 

Which somewhat tied into what I feel is the general feeling of politics and businesses towards these fields, especially teachers.  Everyone says the right things, everyone acts like they care, but no one actually foots the bills.  Politicians wax poetic about kids and our future, but will slash teachers, school fundings, and anything possible on the back end.  Parents don't want taxes to go higher nor offer any help in teaching kids, because there's a large amount of folks that see school as glorified daycare.  Our son is in Pre-K, and we try to show up for school events, and there's like 3 parents there. 

I was talking to someone about schools, and they mentioned that it feels like school is going to move towards an online format.  One teacher going over lessons in a large classroom, and then low paid chaperones to keep the kids somewhat in line.  That the days of the teacher being at the head of the class in person would be limited.  Almost a work from home type teacher, and how it's already spreading with online courses in college.  It would save money because a lot of the teaching jobs could be outsourced for cheaper, and that the whole negligence aspect is bound to break the system where no one wants to do the job here.   

yea its just awful man, I really cant emphasize enough how broken the system is and how far we're falling behind other countries on a global scale.  It's only going to keep getting worse.  I think people in other states have been seeing the consequences of it for a while its just finally manifesting up in the tristate area now.  It's not a quick fix either, no one wants to raise taxes to help pay for school budgets, especially in a recession.  Where does the money come to employ more teachers?  To pay for highly qualified teachers? The government refuses to step in like you said despite numerous speeches claiming they will do the contrary.  We'll see the effects of this time in about 10-12 years when a lot of positions in corporations will be outsourced to better educated individuals in other countries rather than local talent because they are so far behind. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

yea its just awful man, I really cant emphasize enough how broken the system is and how far we're falling behind other countries on a global scale.  It's only going to keep getting worse.  I think people in other states have been seeing the consequences of it for a while its just finally manifesting up in the tristate area now.  It's not a quick fix either, no one wants to raise taxes to help pay for school budgets, especially in a recession.  Where does the money come to employ more teachers?  To pay for highly qualified teachers? The government refuses to step in like you said despite numerous speeches claiming they will do the contrary.  We'll see the effects of this time in about 10-12 years when a lot of positions in corporations will be outsourced to better educated individuals in other countries rather than local talent because they are so far behind. 

Genuinely out of curiosity if you know - obviously you have knowledge and interest in the subject area - what are some of the countries that do an outstanding job in their education systems right now? Realize I could just Google this for general opinion but you talking about falling behind makes me think you may have insight.

Alternatively - what are good markers/indicators of how an education system is functioning that would show how countries are doing and compare things in a global scale?

Again, just curious. Always found education interesting and important and with a young child and another in the way it takes on a different significance.

5 hours ago, derp said:

Genuinely out of curiosity if you know - obviously you have knowledge and interest in the subject area - what are some of the countries that do an outstanding job in their education systems right now? Realize I could just Google this for general opinion but you talking about falling behind makes me think you may have insight.

Alternatively - what are good markers/indicators of how an education system is functioning that would show how countries are doing and compare things in a global scale?

Again, just curious. Always found education interesting and important and with a young child and another in the way it takes on a different significance.

I think the top consensus for the best system in the world is Sweden.  They are very progressive with their teaching principals and how they structure each level of education (students do not take standardized tests until later in their school careers,  they have longer recesses, larger focus on physical education etc). They also pay their teachers as much as doctors and lawyers.  

After that its counties like denmark, germany, norway, canada, japan so on so forth.  I think last time I looked the US was ranked like 25th in the world? but that was years ago i googled before and saw somewhere had us ranked 14th.  Either way thats embarrassingly low for a country with such a high profile

On one hand, their career will not depend on a science or social studies class, or any other class for that matter. On the other hand, they get the grade they earn so it’s their fault and only their fault. Effort takes zero talent. 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think the top consensus for the best system in the world is Sweden.  They are very progressive with their teaching principals and how they structure each level of education (students do not take standardized tests until later in their school careers,  they have longer recesses, larger focus on physical education etc). They also pay their teachers as much as doctors and lawyers.  

After that its counties like denmark, germany, norway, canada, japan so on so forth.  I think last time I looked the US was ranked like 25th in the world? but that was years ago i googled before and saw somewhere had us ranked 14th.  Either way thats embarrassingly low for a country with such a high profile

Without getting political, those countries truly value education and it is part of their culture. As you said, they actually pay their teachers for their hard work and if you are not a teacher you probably don’t truly understand just how much hard work it takes with little to show for it. A true labor of love unfortunately and people are tired of it, leading to many great teachers leaving the field to do literally anything else because you could make more money in basically anything doing half the work and half the stress. 

• Upvote 1

On top of having to educate students, including how to be good people, it is now the teacher’s job to teach parents how to be good people, at least in my case. Best thing any parents in here can do is teach your kids respect, responsibility, and resilience while also being honest with yourself if your kid is a dick. Some parents I talk to act like their kid is an angel when in reality they are terrible. It is not the school’s fault..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Drums said:

On top of having to educate students, including how to be good people, it is now the teacher’s job to teach parents how to be good people, at least in my case. Best thing any parents in here can do is teach your kids respect, responsibility, and resilience while also being honest with yourself if your kid is a dick. Some parents I talk to act like their kid is an angel when in reality they are terrible. It is not the school’s fault..

Word

Ive always felt the parenting is the number 1problem in schools

most have no concept of punishment or holding their kid accountable. Some are in kahoots. Some are just non existent.

the apple never falls far from the tree

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

True but denmark is a very homogeneous country and they are not poor and have good social programs.

I like Germanys take where kids are tested in middle grades. The real thinkers advance deeper into academics while the rest follow a trade based curriculum. Smart and everbody wins

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

True but denmark is a very homogeneous country and they are not poor and have good social programs.

I like Germanys take where kids are tested in middle grades. The real thinkers advance deeper into academics while the rest follow a trade based curriculum. Smart and everbody wins

In Germany you think this kid would likely become a Dr. , a plumber or a professional athlete? 

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Idk

His grades are ok

He just thought he didnt have to go to core classes during his senior year

I agree with you on the Germany structure. Early testing can save a lot of wasted resources and get kids on the right path as soon as possible. The square peg round holed crap is a big  a waste of time. I have 5 kids and it was pretty obvious by end of middle  school what they’re strengths and weaknesses were.  

My simple point was kid should just be allowed to go do what he was meant to do. I find these arbitrary rules kind of a waste. 

• Upvote 1

On another note, heres a former student that got offers to play edge at 10 major programs. I can talk about it since hes graduated and its already in the news….

So this big lazy dummy thought it would be ok to go to Cincinnati, rent a scooter and slap 3 girls asses. 

C499C912-3879-4FBA-A449-E8D7E714876D.png

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I agree with you on the Germany structure. Early testing can save a lot of wasted resources and get kids on the right path as soon as possible. The square peg round holed crap is a big  a waste of time. I have 5 kids and it was pretty obvious by end of middle  school what they’re strengths and weaknesses were.  

My simple point was kid should just be allowed to go do what he was meant to do. I find these arbitrary rules kind of a waste. 

Oh, so you’re saying you think they should just let him do what he was born to do and play football despite his behavior as a senior. OK that’s fine I guess. Well, it seems like this kid is gonna wind up going after all because I can already hear rumblings that they were accommodating him somehow.