I prevented a 5 star recruit from going to a major fb program

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

So did i but i never had an arrogance regarding graduating. Bs and Cs but I earned my diploma. I may have cut school 5-10 days during senior year but I did not avoid math class for 8 or 9 weeks straight.

Sorry Maury cant agree with the “ability to earn” argument. He can earn 15 an hour flipping burgers as far as im concerNed

What level math was this class?

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Well yea it seems like my friend caved in and changed 4 Fs to 4 Bs. Coffee and donuts on the last day of school works wonders

For sure. Not sure what the answer is. If he’s that good someone will be doing his homework in college anyways. And I don’t think the SAT’s matter anymore for entrance do they?

On 6/5/2023 at 11:24 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

I'd always get that one and the pachycephalosaurus mixed up, and my (at the time) 2.5 year old son would say, "no pappa! Pachy has a hemlet (helmet)!" but he would say it in the most exasperated way like how dare I get them mixed up. Eventually I started mixing them up on purpose just to get him to do it, and we have it on video. It's still one of my favorite videos to go back to when I miss him being that age, as opposed to the entitled tantrumy 4 year old he is now. 

He graduated kindergarten last week.  The teacher told us that after one of the other kids messed up the lines they were saying together he walked back to his spot threw his hands up and sarcastically said:  "Well, that went better than I expected."  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

For sure. Not sure what the answer is. If he’s that good someone will be doing his homework in college anyways. And I don’t think the SAT’s matter anymore for entrance do they?

Idk. Not my wheelhouse really but seems like the colleges are in cahoots with high schools to get quality players in no matter what.

i have a 4/5 star recruit to be. 10 th grader. Had him in 9th. Does not attend and is failing everything and copies what he can and does zero. But man can he pass rush! Lets see what happens with him

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He graduated kindergarten last week.  The teacher told us that after one of the other kids messed up the lines they were saying together he walked back to his spot threw his hands up and sarcastically said:  "Well, that went better than I expected."  

LOL that's awesome. 

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Idk. Not my wheelhouse really but seems like the colleges are in cahoots with high schools to get quality players in no matter what.

i have a 4/5 star recruit to be. 10 th grader. Had him in 9th. Does not attend and is failing everything and copies what he can and does zero. But man can he pass rush! Lets see what happens with him

Does he attend school at all? Coaches allow him to practice without going to class?

9 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Here you go:

Maybe your buddy can opt for home school to up the old GPA

On 6/20/2023 at 5:26 PM, Matt39 said:

Does he attend school at all? Coaches allow him to practice without going to class?

Yes its very laid back. All these Hs do this. There should be a report based on grades to let the coach know if the player is eligible to play each week but nobody follows it

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Yes its very laid back. All these Hs do this. There should be a report based on grades to let the coach know if the player is eligible to play each week but nobody follows it

Are the coaches teachers? I’m sure they get kickbacks anyways. You teach public or private?

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Are the coaches teachers? I’m sure they get kickbacks anyways. You teach public or private?

Public. They are gym coaches they dont teach content.

The system is crooked…. If every hs  followed the rules and kept poor performing athletes from playing, it would be fair for everyone. But they all do it and they all want to be competitive so they turn a blind eye to grades

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2023 at 9:53 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

All of those points are SPOT ON.  Its unfortunate.  I am someone with a dual certified bachelors and 2 masters degrees and will be making a salary that barely would have covered 1 degree.  The system is stacked against teachers and with inflations extremely fast rise, salaries have not come close to increasing enough to cover the cost of living.  A teacher (someone with less than 9 years in a district) often times has to work two jobs to have enough to cover expenses in Bergen County.  Rent being anywhere from 1400-2000 thats about equal to 1 paycheck for a teacher after heavy deductions (union fees, health care, pension, 403B).  People get skewed because they see the top end of the pay scales (the best district in the state tops out at 125k, where most are 100k or slightly better), but often times those numbers take 20 years to get to.... let that sink in 20 YEARS and that doesnt account for times where there are pay freezes due to failed contract negotiations (which take place every 3 years)...  

Combine that with the increasing disrespect from students (I asked a kid yesterday, who was 17, to put his scooter away and not ride it in the gym and he told me to "go f' myself") who would go to college, put themselves in debt, to work under those conditions?  Go to school rack up student loans to come out and make anywhere from 45-55k and then have to deal with the admins breathing down your back about falsifying grades and students doing that to you?  lol and they cant figure out why theres a massive teacher shortage.  

Its borderline comical at this point, but I love coaching and love teaching so I stay. 

adam levine television GIF by The Voice

Do yourself a favor look for a job in Rockland County NY.

Terrible schools besides maybe one district and the school taxes are so high because they need to pay the retired teachers their 200k pensions, and the current teachers their 150-250k salaries.

Thats just the teachers forget the principals and higher they all make between 250k-500k to do NOTHING!

On 5/25/2023 at 8:24 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Well that goes to the root issue here, as much as everyone likes to speak about how they value education, when push comes to shove there have been 0 changes to it despite all of the outcry.  So really, no one in actuallity cares about education, its just fun to talk like you do. 

The root issue is government involvement in education.  Get them out education will get fixed.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:27 AM, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea theres just so much wrong with all of this system that we cant hope to fix it overnight.  

I will say my GF works in HR as well and says similar.  It's crazy how people are getting pushed through the system now, happened alot during covid and its kind of just stuck now.   You'd be shocked when you look at the metrics from most schools in NJ (considered at minimum top 5 in the country in education)  MANY schools have their reading comprehension level around 45-65% similar statistics with math.  

these kids are not learning and while on the surface its so easy to blame a teacher for this, the problem is so out of our hands.  You simply cannot hold kids accountable to do their work anymore, and if they dont do their work, there are 0 consequences.  No learning is promoted, no learning is required. 

Government needs to get out of education.

And parents need to become so much more involved an extension of the teacher maybe, or like a partnership.  I think most parents who actually care try their best to be involved.  We need more parents who care, it is part of the problem for sure.

Other things at play as well, I had to move after Covid my school district went from 30% poverty to almost 60% from 2021 to 2023.  We lived in a very diverse town which I lived in and loved for 43 years, but doubling the trouble makers in the school made it impossible for the teachers who cared to do a good job and my kids were suffering at school because of it (me and the wife did our part at home both kids were able to read write and do basic multiplication while the other kids were being asked to count to 100 as a goal for the end of the year).

On 8/1/2023 at 7:50 PM, Lupz27 said:

Do yourself a favor look for a job in Rockland County NY.

Terrible schools besides maybe one district and the school taxes are so high because they need to pay the retired teachers their 200k pensions, and the current teachers their 150-250k salaries.

Thats just the teachers forget the principals and higher they all make between 250k-500k to do NOTHING!

@Maxman Mention of taxes here.

On 5/17/2023 at 1:55 PM, JiF said:

Wait is this new?  If you were even remotely college material in one of the 3 majors sports in my High School you got the royal treatment.  I was getting offers from colleges the size of my HS and they gave me it.  I didn’t show up for Biology for the first 4 weeks but like once and was obviously failing so they put me in weight lifting instead. I would skip school and the school resource officer who worked the scoreboard during my games would tell me to bring her back a bagel. My coach had to convince my Spanish teacher to give me a D so I would be eligible senior year.  The kid that was NFL bound and the MLB bound one, literally didn’t come to school.  This seems like normal star athlete treatment to me.  

It may be "normal" many places, but it is totally wrong.  You all should have failed and lost your college scholarship offers.