Saquon Wants To Get Paid

36 minutes ago, jgb said:

Didn’t say they didn’t happen. Said pretty good chance Robinson’s biggest contract is his first, regardless of how he performs.

Manning, a four-times most valuable player in the NFL who agreed to a five-year $90-million contract with the Colts last month, is expected to earn $23 million in total compensation for 2011.

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford is second on the list with expected earnings of $18.4 million and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is third at $18 million.

Here is the link

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-forbes-salaries/peyton-manning-is-highest-paid-player-in-nfl-report-idUSTRE77G6L320110817 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure Giants fans will start worrying about it the moment Barkley starts making business decisions that hurt the team's chances of winning.

Similarly, Jets fans will care when it comes time to think about extending Breece Hall.  He hits free agency in just 3 years.

Hall isn’t getting extended. They’ll draft his replacement. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Laws and rules are put in place (or at least it is their intent) to allow the majority to rule without harming the minority.  Thus, the 5 % matters here.

I'm sure the NFLPA can figure something out that they can agree to.  

There's a rookie wage scale in the NFL now because the 95% does not sacrifice for the 5%.  In fact, what is good for the 5% here - running backs - can actually hurt the other 95%.  

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

Bradford was 29th highest paid QB his rookie year. Robinson is top ten at his position his rookie year. Regardless you’re focusing on dicta and not the main point. I’m talking about RBs in today’s NFL.

Should have replied to this post.

Manning, a four-times most valuable player in the NFL who agreed to a five-year $90-million contract with the Colts last month, is expected to earn $23 million in total compensation for 2011.

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford is second on the list with expected earnings of $18.4 million and New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is third at $18 million.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-forbes-salaries/peyton-manning-is-highest-paid-player-in-nfl-report-idUSTRE77G6L320110817 

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Whoa now buddy.  If Breece is a all pro rb the next 3 years, you better believe JD is giving him another contract.

And I'm sure you'll be here b*tching about Breece wanting to get paid a lot more than you'd be willing to give him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Should have replied to this post.

Didn’t see it. I replied to your other post where you brought up Bradford. Anyway, let’s talk about the here and now not ancient history.

there is no way to change the rookie contract and franchise tag situation at this point.  what they can do is one of two things:

1) the incentive pay that they give to younger players - try to skew it such that it pays more to running backs.  it's not a huge thing - but will help the majority of players.  from memory they give out about 350mm to the players in this program a year. it's mostly on downs played but they can tweak it such that it also includes yards.  right now RB don't get anything a big amount here.

2) the RB should be more protective of their bodies.  that means don't do 25 carries per game.  try to get 15-20 and keep some wear and tear off the body.  also they probably should not always fight for the extra yard if it means too much wear on the body.  this is hard to do.

teams pay out about 10MM in these incentive pay for younger players.  try to get the RBs to get 1-2MM of this and all will be well for the majority of them.

56 minutes ago, Larz said:

Year 5 (2nd contract) seems to be where the RB drop off begins. WR much more gradual.

If GB GM Thompson said draft a Qb every year, then I’d recommend drafting a high R.A.S. RB every 2-3 years.

WR, Edge, CB and OT should be selected every year as well.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1998, when he did little other than taking a dump on the field with his 1 ypc AFCCG, and 1999 when his fumble caused VT's ruptured Achilles & ended the season in week 1.

Ah ok

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Laws and rules are put in place (or at least it is their intent) to allow the majority to rule without harming the minority Thus, the 5 % matters here.

I'm sure the NFLPA can figure something out that they can agree to.  

From where on earth did you get that idea? The minority maybe has its most basic rights not infringed upon, but are most definitely harmed quite routinely. Anyway that doesn't apply to RBs in any case. A RB has the right to play another position, or to not play at all. 

When you have any zero-sum situation (and a league salary cap is one such situation), giving to one necessarily takes from someone else (i.e. harms them).

Fight me.  

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I will. It’s a fascinating controlled micro-economy.

Same. I find this extremely interesting.

Some of us care about fair and free markets. Nobody is feeling sorry for Saquon. He’s a millionaire. But that doesn't mean you just ignore that RBs are in a bad spot. One of the few positions in the major sports that not only has a short life span but also where the players regresses from day 1.

It’ll never be completely open. Nor do I think it’s the best solution. You’d need to get rid of the cap for that. And the rookie wage scale has been a positive for the league. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Some of us care about fair and free markets. Nobody is feeling sorry for Saquon. He’s a millionaire. But that doesn't mean you just ignore that RBs are in a bad spot. One of the few positions in the major sports that not only has a short life span but also where the players regresses from day 1.

It’ll never be completely open. Nor do I think it’s the best solution. You’d need to get rid of the cap for that. And the rookie wage scale has been a positive for the league. 

The way the market corrects itself is by less and less football players playing running back. Eventually the demand increases.

• Upvote 1

If Saquon got a guaranty now that was basically 2x the FT tag, that would be a good deal for him.  

RBs, like DTs, basically need to play year to year on a second contract.  It is not responsible business to give them long second contracts.

Yes, the Jets just signed Quinnen, but I think that was a responsible contract.  I don’t think he gets a long 3rd contract. 

5 hours ago, batman10023 said:

there is no way to change the rookie contract and franchise tag situation at this point.  what they can do is one of two things:

1) the incentive pay that they give to younger players - try to skew it such that it pays more to running backs.  it's not a huge thing - but will help the majority of players.  from memory they give out about 350mm to the players in this program a year. it's mostly on downs played but they can tweak it such that it also includes yards.  right now RB don't get anything a big amount here.

2) the RB should be more protective of their bodies.  that means don't do 25 carries per game.  try to get 15-20 and keep some wear and tear off the body.  also they probably should not always fight for the extra yard if it means too much wear on the body.  this is hard to do.

teams pay out about 10MM in these incentive pay for younger players.  try to get the RBs to get 1-2MM of this and all will be well for the majority of them.

Why should the NFL and the NFLPA change the salary structure for RBs???? They are getting paid what they deserve based on the current market. The data shows they decline in year 4/5 and fall off a cliff in year 7. 

As stated earlier, nobody gave a crap when offensive linemen were paid a fraction of what other positions made from 1930-2012. So it’s not a glamour position any more. There’s no need to tilt the market in their favor. 

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

From where on earth did you get that idea? The minority maybe has its most basic rights not infringed upon, but are most definitely harmed quite routinely.

I probably should have added “undue harm”, though of course that’s subjective.

Basic rights not being infringed upon sums that part up nicely as well.  

1998, when he did little other than taking a dump on the field with his 1 ypc AFCCG, and 1999 when his fumble caused VT's ruptured Achilles & ended the season in week 1.
1999 is a stretch ... But that did sting.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, GreenFish said:

If they could get increased pay for the USWNT then they can find a way for RB’s!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Yeah, although the NFL isn’t a free and fair  market. It’s a command economy. For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t make special rules for RBs. Clever teams will always find a way to leverage current going rates for types and positions of players to try to find an advantage. Everyone is running 3-4 and driving up the price for players who fit that scheme? Go with 4-3 and get better players at a cheaper price for that scheme since there is less competition for them. Et cetera.

At some point, the price of RBs will get so low that there will be a rebound and the values will go back up. When and how high will that rebound be? Dunno.

• Upvote 1