Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

36 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You’d think that the Zach guys would want him to play more. To show what he can do and get playing time that is more valuable than practice snaps.

It was the HoF Game. They’ve had two weeks of camp. There’s three more preseason games to go. A lot of bitching about playing time in a fourth exhibition game that 30 teams in the league don’t have this year. 

Zach will get plenty of reps, and better ones, as teams play their starters longer and Aaron Rodgers doesn’t play. 

Lot of complaining over nothing, not that that’s anything new. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look that 50 yard pass play was pretty good. It was a professional pass play you can't do much better than that. And the batted pass was amateur hour. Look if Rodgers injured Boyle could be this years version of Mike White. He didn't look good last night and remember White had bad games too. If Boyle outplays Zach in preseason he should win the job. But he didn't last night. And Strev probably doesn't make the team. 

We need to quit d**king around and add a QB into the mix who CAN beat out Zach/Boyle for the QB2 job.  

But we're already into August so it's probably too late already.  Lame.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

What about darnold ? Lol. Hard to believe they view him higher than Lance ? Giving up on him way to early. Kid hasn’t even had a shot to F up. Unlike Wilson sh*ttting the bed for 2 years.. teddy Bridgewater is definitely a better qb than Zach right now. Everyone knows that. Only reason why they didn’t try to bring him or someone similar is Zach is already making qb2 $$, and they don’t want to tie up $ to another with a limited cap. Otherwise it would make too Much sense to do that and slide zach where he belongs. The number 3.

The scuttlebutt out of San Fran is that Lance’s injuries and mechanical deficiencies have made him a dead man walking to Shanahan, and Shanahan is in love with Purdy anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not sure why you were disappointed.  Didn’t make any stupid throws, set up was cleaner.  Completed a screen pass w/o a bounce.  This is progress. 

I wanted him to look like the best QB on the field playing with and against rookies and back-ups and plan vanilla defenses.  He had clean pockets all night - I don't think he was touched except for the scramble where he tripped.  I wanted to see him get into a rhythm and move the offense.  Instead we got one big play and a lot of nothing.  One game, 12 snaps.  Not much of a sample size but I had hoped to see more.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

How is playing him endangering him? Was McDonald endangered by playing? I don’t hate anyone I’m puzzled by the approach here. The only way Wilson can improve is by playing. I don’t care about Cleveland’s #2. Watson is going to be the their QB for the next decade. Wilson was drafted TWO overall two years ago and they still feel the need to hide him from reps. As far as me knocking him, he has yet to have a good game in the league. Whether it be preseason or regular season. We’ll cross that bridge when it comes.

They weren't hiding him.  McDonald is a rookie and needed the experience.  Zach has two years experience in the NFL, he didn't need to play in a game last night with a lot of guys who won't be in the NFL in 2 months.

There is an art to building one's confidence.  It's not an exact science.  They were wanting to see how Zach played after the offseason and give him a positive experience to help build his confidence and continue his progress.  He got that.  There was no point in playing him longer last night.  He will probably play the first half of the next two preseason games, or at least the whole first qtr.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not much of a sample size but I had hoped to see more.

I thought that the presence of Rodgers and the nicer tone of Hackett would produce results, but Zach still plays the position where everything is a surprise to him on every snap. Compare his performance to Dorian Thompson Robinson last night. Which guy looked like the 2nd overall pick and which guy looked like the Day 3 project? And Wilson has been doing this for three years.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

They weren't hiding him.  McDonald is a rookie and needed the experience.  Zach has two years experience in the NFL, he didn't need to play in a game last night with a lot of guys who won't be in the NFL in 2 months.

There is an art to building one's confidence.  It's not an exact science.  They were wanting to see how Zach played after the offseason and give him a positive experience to help build his confidence and continue his progress.  He got that.  There was no point in playing him longer last night.  He will probably play the first half of the next two preseason games, or at least the whole first qtr.

Confidence has never been Zach Wilson's problem.  Humility is another story.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Decision making was better as well.  Of course we’re starting from the ground floor.  I still wish he’d get rid of the ball sooner, he keeps looking for home runs.  

I don't know what makes you think that.  I saw zero evidence of his looking for home runs last night.  Someone has to be open in order for him to get rid of the ball sooner.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

You don’t think Wilson needs experience? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Confidence has never been Zach Wilson's problem.  Humility is another story.  

You're wrong.  Zach lost confidence last season and that's why he played so abysmally.  You clearly know nothing about Zach.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look that 50 yard pass play was pretty good. It was a professional pass play you can't do much better than that. And the batted pass was amateur hour. Look if Rodgers injured Boyle could be this years version of Mike White. He didn't look good last night and remember White had bad games too. If Boyle outplays Zach in preseason he should win the job. But he didn't last night. And Strev probably doesn't make the team. 

Zach aside, Boyle did not look good at all. Was he Strev bad? No, he was not, but he wasn't good.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought that the presence of Rodgers and the nicer tone of Hackett would produce results, but Zach still plays the position where everything is a surprise to him on every snap. Compare his performance to Dorian Thompson Robinson last night. Which guy looked like the 2nd overall pick and which guy looked like the Day 3 project? And Wilson has been doing this for three years.

I wouldn’t say that everything’s a surprise to him, but rather that he still thinks every play could be a big one so he holds onto the ball way too long.  Get the ball out, get it out.  Take short gains, don’t sit there and be indecisive.  

• Upvote 1

I was disappointed in Zach last night.  I really expected better.  Offense never got into rhythm at all.  Did not matter who was in there.  But out of the 5 QBs who played last night, Zach had the most experience, playing against (and with) 2s, he had clean pockets, but could not move the ball consistently.  I expected him to look like the best QB on the field yesterday, but he did not.
The one deep throw was nice, put it where his receiver could make a play, and the receiver did.  Very nice play.  I also liked one screen pass where the he stood in the pocket with the rush coming and calmly delivered the short pass accurately and on time to Izzy.  Short gain, but still a nice play..  But nothing was sustained.  No consistency.
Just a handful of snaps in the first pre-season game, so I am not going to overreact, but I hoped for and expected better.
He really loused up those 5 pass attempts.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:52 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam Darnold wasn’t getting traded either.  

Sam Darnold should have never been drafted by the Jets.  He regressed horribly his last season at USC.  He couldn't read Ds, had fundamentals issues, and had only been playing QB full time for 3 years.  At a minimum, he should have sat for 2-3 years in the NFL behind a solid veteran QB.

JD and Saleh made a similar mistake with Zach.  JD should never have drafted a rookie QB if he was going to hire a rookie HC who was a former defensive coach and who in turn was going to bring in a rookie OC and rookie QB Coach.  Zach's fundamentals were fine for the offense he played in at BYU, but they weren't for the WCO.  So either an OC should have been hired that would have picked or tailored a scheme to fit Zach's talents or if they were committed to running the WCO, then a veteran QB should have been signed and Zach allowed to sit and learn for a year or two and work on his fundamentals and learning the WCO.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Not playing with and against future truck drivers and grocery store stock men.

It’s the only experience available to him unless Rodgers goes down.

Starters barely play in preseason anymore.

And no other team in the league wants him unfortunately.  Even if they did take him, nobody would let him start for them.

15 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I don't know what makes you think that.  I saw zero evidence of his looking for home runs last night.  Someone has to be open in order for him to get rid of the ball sooner.

They were playing 3rd & 4th stringers in a base defensive package.  Receivers were open dude.  Receivers have been open much of his career too.  He can't find them and he has no ability to "throw them open".  

He sucks.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

The deep throw was nice.

The three and out on the first series, pirouette followed by tripping over his own feet, and general lack of production were not so nice.

Seems like the same old Zach to me.

sugarplum fairy nutcracker GIF by New York City Ballet 

With Hackett's play calling and the poor play of the OL last night in the rushing attack, I don't think any QB would have succeeded.  I believe they ran on 1st and 2nd down 100% of the time, and then were forced to throw on 3rd down.  That's not a recipe for success, but rather for failure, especially when the OL can't open holes and the RBs can't find the right holes.

QBs also need to get into a rhythm.  I thought Hackett would understand that.  Stefanski had an opening easy pass for Mond to get him settled and into a rhythm.  Zach had two hand offs and a pass attempt that wasn't an easy pass.  MLF might as well still have been the OC last night.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It’s the only experience available to him unless Rodgers goes down.

Starters barely play in preseason anymore.

And no other team in the league wants him unfortunately.  Even if they did take him, nobody would let him start for them.

In the next two preseason games, I'll bet that Zach plays the entire 1st qtr., if not the entire 1st half.  Then he'll be playing with some starters and the 2nd string, and they'll have had more practice.  Last night's game was after only 6 -7 practices.

2 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

If you couldn't see how predictable the play calling was last night, then you don't know what you're watching.  No QB could have succeeded last night with that play calling and OL play, not even Rodgers, Mahomes, or any other of the greats.

Holy sh*t this is the same post I've been reading here and on JI for 20 f**king years.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JKlecko said:

If you couldn't see how predictable the play calling was last night, then you don't know what you're watching.  No QB could have succeeded last night with that play calling and OL play, not even Rodgers, Mahomes, or any other of the greats.

Do you understand that it is preseason?  You're not supposed to win by out scheming opponents - it is all for player analysis and conditioning.  One could argue it's more beneficial to play call predictably to better evaluate players (i.e. the defense knows we will run, let's see who can win their battles and may a play in spite of that.)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

With Hackett's play calling and the poor play of the OL last night in the rushing attack, I don't think any QB would have succeeded.  I believe they ran on 1st and 2nd down 100% of the time, and then were forced to throw on 3rd down.  That's not a recipe for success, but rather for failure, especially when the OL can't open holes and the RBs can't find the right holes.

QBs also need to get into a rhythm.  I thought Hackett would understand that.  Stefanski had an opening easy pass for Mond to get him settled and into a rhythm.  Zach had two hand offs and a pass attempt that wasn't an easy pass.  MLF might as well still have been the OC last night.

This reads like a whole lot of excuses.

Same old Zach until proven otherwise.  I'm standing by that.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

I wouldn’t say that everything’s a surprise to him, but rather that he still thinks every play could be a big one so he holds onto the ball way too long.  Get the ball out, get it out.  Take short gains, don’t sit there and be indecisive.  

Lot of the problem is he still thinks he is as good as many have told him past few yrs. Great enough to be selected #2 overall. He needs to accept he is in the same bout as a 6th round. Where he is more like hamburger meat than prime rib, and needs to fight tooth and nail for every inch, snap he gets. Instead of trying to be the hero. Move the chains. He is a backup now, has to accept that. Has to prove he can even handle being a #2 in this league before he thinks bigger.

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lot of the problem is he still thinks he is as good as many have told him past few yrs. Great enough to be selected #2 overall. He needs to accept he is in the same bout as a 6th round. Where he is more like hamburger meat than prime rib, and needs to fight tooth and nail for every inch, snap he gets. Instead of trying to be the hero. Move the chains. He is a backup now, has to accept that. Has to prove he can even handle being a #2 in this league before he thinks bigger.

He’s just not a nfl qb.  The defenses move too fast for him.  He had one good throw last night and JD immediately pulled him soon after because he wanted him to build confidence but he is what he is.  A guy who would have been picked 5th or 6th round 20 years ago but today with the media hype machine suddenly was the second overall pick anointed better than Trevor Lawrence for getting stats facing community college teams and throwing a tight spiral in shorts and a tshirt indoors with no defenders 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

The scuttlebutt out of San Fran is that Lance’s injuries and mechanical deficiencies have made him a dead man walking to Shanahan, and Shanahan is in love with Purdy anyway. 
Lance will be out of the league in a year or two.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1