7 appetizers served by #77

Bronx

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

yeah because he was all jammed up on goofballs 

no practices no weight lifting all recovery then more collisions next week - for a year straight, then surgery in March 

if Duane Brown were a car he'd have 200k miles on him 

That’s fine

Put 200k miles on a Honda and it’s still going to be serviceable.

No one is denying that Brown is long in the tooth, but I’d still trust him protecting A-Rod’s blindside over the dude who looks like an absolute monster but possesses the toughness of Woody Allen.

4 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Whereas D Jones on the browns looked the part of a huge steady mauler who wasn't off balance and was beating a guy like Huff.

Dawand Jones raised in Indianapolis, from Ohio State, playing for the Cleveland Browns, at a game in Canton. 

It's a very favorable spot for this player to debut. 

that being said he has some Trent Brown-type tendencies and will be interesting to see develop. 

Injuries will be the key with this player - Becton was mashing too as a rookie until GVR rolled up his leg from behind 

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

That’s fine

Put 200k miles on a Honda and it’s still going to be serviceable.

No one is denying that Brown is long in the tooth, but I’d still trust him protecting A-Rod’s blindside over the dude who looks like an absolute monster but possesses the toughness of Woody Allen.

no one's denying Brown's resume is better than Bectons

that's why Brown gets paid more 

so where is Brown exactly? Resting until Week 1 is the hopeful explanation but let's be honest they could announce his retirement this afternoon and it would be far from a shock 

this team probably needs Becton and Brown (and Max Mitchell, and Billy Turner too) because none of these guys are playing all 17 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I was referring to the end zone pisser munchkin. Mims is another guy though who may have been better off with some real coaching by the OC.  

Joe Douglas is really good as liquidating assets

acquiring new ones he's a coin flip 

There's no way Randall Cobb is better than Moore this year but that's the choice they made 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is a rehab season for Becton. He is feeling pain in his knee from SEVEN SNAPS of pre-season football. We are going to pick up another tackle who shakes loose at final cuts. Becton is not it. I have tried to remain positive, but this guy makes Pennington look like the spawn of Joe Thomas and D'Brick. 

The Browns are absolutely loaded on OL.

This dude they just drafted looks even scarier physically than Becton.

Except with quick feet and knees that don’t shatter on impact.

Had no problem staying in front of JJ, McD and Huff

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I was referring to the end zone pisser munchkin. Mims is another guy though who may have been better off with some real coaching by the OC.  

So, some inside info on Mims while he was on the Jets from a player I knew.  "Great guy, super nice.   He does not study the play book, at all.  He does not put in any work when he's not at the facility."

Maybe now, a little older, a little humbled, he is putting in the work he needs to.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Browns are absolutely loaded on OL.

This dude they just drafted looks is even scarier physically than Becton.

Except with quick feet and knees that don’t shatter on impact.

Had no problem staying in front of JJ, McD and Huff

Fourth round draft pick.  Wow, he could end up being one of the steals of the draft.

• Upvote 2

Just now, bitonti said:

so where is Brown exactly? Resting until Week 1 is the hopeful explanation but let's be honest they could announce his retirement this afternoon and it would be far from a shock 

We’ve heard from the camp reports earlier in the week that Brown was now off to the side going through stuff on his own.

Everything suggests that he’ll be back to practicing with the team within the week.

The guy has 15 years of experience as a high end starting LT and has clearly shown that he’ll play through pain.

I’m certainly more comfortable with that on Rodgers’ left side over the guy who hasn’t played in two years and is ready to take himself off the field anytime he’s experiencing mild discomfort.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Joe Douglas is really good as liquidating assets

acquiring new ones he's a coin flip 

There's no way Randall Cobb is better than Moore this year but that's the choice they made 

Yeah, I agree there is clearly no way Cobb that is a better athlete than moore. Though I'm sure he's a better teammate, and a player coach at WR at this point who can help everyone else get on board.

Both Cimini and Hughes have lowkey predicted Becton will be on another team’s roster opening day.

I guess the organization is letting it be known they are tired of his act.

Him publicly trying to call out the medical staff saying he got the “wrong surgery” prob won’t win him any friends in 1JD either.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

So, some inside info on Mims while he was on the Jets from a player I knew.  "Great guy, super nice.   He does not study the play book, at all.  He does not put in any work when he's not at the facility."

Maybe now, a little older, a little humbled, he is putting in the work he needs to.

Sounds about right as he had all the 'measureables'. Having all the measureables is probably why he didn't do the little things.

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Cobb’s salary is 3M this year if they don’t cut him

What a joke

In what sense? They decided it was worth the investment. This isn't scotty mcknight wasting cap space and a spot solely for mark sanchez to have a room mate he's comfortable with. Cobb can help the wrs get on board and provides an accomplished vet backup for backup money who knows the system. And yes, of course it also made AR happy.  A small price to pay to help get a FQB on board.

People need to chill and take the long view. They're letting him build up strength and confidence in his knee. He hasn't played a competitive game in two years.

The goal for this team is to be as healthy as possible and firing on all cylinders in December, January and hopefully February. It's OK if Becton doesn't start Week 1 or Week 4 or until halfway through the season. That's why we have Turner and Brown and drafted Warren. But a healthy Becton is by far the best LT this team has.

2 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

In what sense? They decided it was worth the investment. This isn't scotty mcknight wasting cap space and a spot solely for mark sanchez to have a room mate he's comfortable with. Cobb can help the wrs get on board and provides an accomplished vet backup for backup money who knows the system. And yes, of course it also made AR happy.  A small price to pay to help get a FQB on board.

Then hire him to coach and pay him 10M for all I care and he can still be around AR and the team every day 

There’s no salary cap for coaches 

He’s washed as a player

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’m certainly more comfortable with that on Rodgers’ left side over the guy who hasn’t played in two years and is ready to take himself off the field anytime he’s experiencing mild discomfort.

you're not saying anything wrong but tearing Becton down isn't the same as saying Brown is a good left tackle in 2023 

there's a very plausible scenario where neither of these guys are great choices, for different reasons 

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Then hire him to coach and pay him 10M for all I care and he can still be around AR and the team every day 

There’s no salary cap for coaches 

He’s washed as a player

That's a fair point too. Like previous years when the Jets paid Flacco to mentor ZW instead of just making him the QB coach. The Jets may have a guy under contract already as WR coach, or they figure he'd be a fine backup while helping coach up the other wrs.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Dude gave a quote that he knew the entire playbook the first week after he was traded. Doubtful anything has changed.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this team probably needs Becton and Brown (and Max Mitchell, and Billy Turner too) because none of these guys are playing all 17 

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Both Cimini and Hughes have lowkey predicted Becton will be on another team’s roster opening day.

I guess the organization is letting it be known they are tired of his act.

Him publicly trying to call out the medical staff saying he got the “wrong surgery” prob won’t win him any friends in 1JD either.

I'm torn, because I agree with both of these sentiments.

I have to give Becky respect that he actually did lose the weight this offseason. And I have to admit, he looked good last night (on limited snaps).

But I can see his comments (coaching staff, medical team), years of "meh" effort outside of games, and general lack of availability as a motivation to move him the second he's healthy enough for another team to bite.

As frustrating as he is, though, I'd rather have Mekhi right now than a 2024 draft pick. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

you're not saying anything wrong but tearing Becton down isn't the same as saying Brown is a good left tackle in 2023 

there's a very plausible scenario where neither of these guys are great choices, for different reasons 

It’s hard not to tear Becton down

He’s been a pain in the balls to this team for the last year and a half despite not even seeing any live action.

The weight fluctuations, the injuries, the soft as Kleenex disposition, publicly sh*tting on the coaching staff and front office, etc.

I’d love for him to stay healthy, build upon his rookie season and gain a new outlook.

But that’s top tier wishful thinking on all three accounts.

Again, to me the odds are much greater that he’s traded before the season than starting at LT against Buffalo.

• Upvote 1

I have to wonder how the Jets are going to approach this at this point. The best thing for the team is for Becton to play well and win a starting position. He played fine yesterday but pulled himself out (Becton's words). He obviously has a mental hurdle he needs to get over if he wants to be a starter. He can't be a starter if he's going to be pulling himself at the slightest hint of pain.

I think someone is going to have to push him to play through it here. Can't see the Jets moving on with him as the starter if he can't mentally get through 20-30 snaps in a preseason game against backups.

Not being a hater - I've been pulling for the guy the entire time.

I consider myself to be one of the harshest critics of Becton on this forum, but I can’t deny that I thought he looked great in all of his snaps last night.  It looks like the day-after tape backs that up.  

Furthermore, I’m not blaming him or Saleh for taking him out earlier.  There was, in-fact, a lot of slipping going on all game long and was something I thought of well before the post-game presser.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record over the course of multiple threads, the HOF game means even less than a normal pre-season game.  Training camp and the ensuing summer games (to a lesser degree than TC) will mean more than anything so I would rather not risk re-injury on bad field conditions.

Despite all of the frustration with Mekhi, him finding some way to earn one of the long-term T spots (ideally LT) is the absolute best thing we could possibly hope for.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Again, to me the odds are much greater that he’s traded before the season than starting at LT against Buffalo.

Becton aside the tackle room of Duane Brown, Billy Turner, Max Mitchell and Carter Warren might be among the worst in football

the first two guys are well past their prime and the second two are raw with Warren shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup 

at least Becton has theoretical upside. what are you even getting for him at this point in the summer? a conditional 6th like Mims? It's better to see if he can work himself into shape  

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I consider myself to be one of the harshest critics of Becton on this forum, but I can’t deny that I thought he looked great in all of his snaps last night.  It looks like the day-after tape backs that up.  

Furthermore, I’m not blaming him or Saleh for taking him out earlier.  There was, in-fact, a lot of slipping going on all game long and was something I thought of well before the post-game presser.  At the risk of sounding like a broken record over the course of multiple threads, the HOF game means even less than a normal pre-season game.  Training camp and the ensuing summer games (to a lesser degree than TC) will mean more than anything so I would rather not risk re-injury on bad field conditions.

Despite all of the frustration with Mekhi, him finding some way to earn one of the long-term T spots (ideally LT) is the absolute best thing we could possibly hope for.

What do you think they need to see rep wise in preseason to name him a starter? I'd imagine they at least need to see him put up 20-30 snaps in a game without him getting scared about the knee and pulling himself?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

people bring this up as a testament to Duane Brown's toughness

and that's true, he's very tough

but the subtext is he's done

it's like saying hey this tube of toothpaste is incredible i keep rolling it up and squeezing it gives just a little more toothpaste at the nub 

Duane Brown is brave, admirable and washed 

that's why he's still on PUP or whatever it is. Playing through vicious injury comes with a price 

I would bet good money that Duane Brown, from this point on, starts more NFL games than Becton does for the rest of his career. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

We’ve heard from the camp reports earlier in the week that Brown was now off to the side going through stuff on his own.

Everything suggests that he’ll be back to practicing with the team within the week.

The guy has 15 years of experience as a high end starting LT and has clearly shown that he’ll play through pain.

Brown played over 700 snaps in front of a pack of QBs who were absolute sack magnets last year and he yielded only one sack. He deserves the benefit of the doubt for sure. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Becton’s next twelve months:

1. Sprains something in practice within the next two weeks. 

2. Gets placed on IR.

3. Gets unceremoniously dumped this offseason. 

4. Signs a prove it deal with the Bucs/Panthers/Cardinals

5. Gets injured in camp and is summarily waived

6. Files an injury grievance against the Jets and is never heard from again

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Dude gave a quote that he knew the entire playbook the first week after he was traded. Doubtful anything has changed.

The lions are probably telling him to just run go/vertical routes instead of trying to teach him 3d chess like the previous OC we had who thought he was going to outsmart the other team as opposed to his own players...