Saleh: Becton starting Right Tackle

Lith

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I think Becton will still be our LT by next season. I can't  see the Jets extending Brown. Next year Becton will be LT and Max Mitchell hopefully gets his head out of his ass and becomes a starter. 

I wouldn’t assume he will be a Jet next year.

5 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

for you buddy, livin the dream

One thing that's clear from all of the interviews taking place:  This is a TEAM of excellent, high character individuals.  They've weeded out the malcontents and created a culture of professionalism, accountability, brotherhood.  Not just lip service, but guys wanting to back each other, help each other perform at their best.

It's the X factor of winning organizations.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, rbstern said:

One thing that's clear from all of the interviews taking place:  This is a TEAM of excellent, high character individuals.  They've weeded out the malcontents and created a culture of professionalism, accountability, brotherhood.  Not just lip service, but guys wanting to back each other, help each other perform at their best.

It's the X factor of winning organizations.  

Wilson just seems like a great kid.  I like him a lot - and he's obv a good football player.

this team building and mutual respect - this will hopefully help during our really tough 6 game stretch to start the season.

It’s like the whole article about the jets hiring Clark and then using him to coach up becton. Meanwhile a lot of the beat writers were calling for becton to be traded as if his injuries weren’t real. People forget that these are young men and certainly are very concerned about their long term health. The team was right to stick with him and give him the support he needed. It’s a win- win situation. And it’s also something these beat writers just couldn’t seem to grasp.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Could be anyway. He’s a FA. 

Could be sure. If he has a good year I imagine Douglas will try to keep him.

Good tackles don't grow on trees and he also has a franchise tag in his back pocket. Expensive but probably worth it during Rodgers window.

If he doesn't have a good year or is injured for a large stretch he's probably gone 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Could be sure. If he has a good year I imagine Douglas will try to keep him.

Good tackles don't grow on trees and he also has a franchise tag in his back pocket. Expensive but probably worth it during Rodgers window.

If he doesn't have a good year or is injured for a large stretch he's probably gone 

Around a 90% chance he’s not a Jet next year. I’m leaving the 10% in there as a generous approximation of the chance he’s worthy of the franchise tag. 

7 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Good for Becton. As others have said, he won the job fair and square.  The only question is how the knee will hold up playing 60 minutes every week.  I have questions, but he's answered all of the other ones so far.

With our D and O, hopefully it’s 20 minutes per game.

8 hours ago, BCJet said:

The Becton situation is something that should come up every time someone criticizes JD or Saleh - they handled this amazingly well, a legitimate A+.

Worked him into practice slowly so he could get confidence in the health of his knee. Made him earn the reps regardless of his draft spot.  Got him ready to play the spot we need, not the spot he wants and then show complete public support as he improved.

Master class in handling this particular situation and I cannot wait to see him and AVT on the right side dominating guys

Master Class indeed. lets not forget Becton came into camp this year and immediately blamed the team and coaching staff for causing his injury because they tried him at RT,  and he told the press!!!  and his twitter posts were all about his work at LEFT TACKLE..   hats off to coach saleh!!!

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Around a 90% chance he’s not a Jet next year. I’m leaving the 10% in there as a generous approximation of the chance he’s worthy of the franchise tag. 

I think the plan is for the Jets to roll with Brown at LT this year, with Becton filling in.  Next season, Becton is either good enough to extend, or playing on the franchise tag.  Probably the latter.  The Jets are not paying Duane Brown next year.  

So the LT is either Becton or someone else we acquire.  We are likely not drafting a LT since we don't have a first round draft pick. 

The Right T is Mitchell, Turner or the guy they drafted.  Or someone else.  

If Becton is franchised and then moves on, likely so will Aaron Rodgers, so we will then figure it out.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the plan is for the Jets to roll with Brown at LT this year, with Becton filling in.  Next season, Becton is either good enough to extend, or playing on the franchise tag.  Probably the latter.  The Jets are not paying Duane Brown next year. 

Kind of the way I see it. If he plays great, franchise tag and likely trade. Why would Becton re-up here voluntarily? Blames Jets for injury, playing an unfavored position, mad about Jets not picking up the option. He’d at a minimum test FA and some team will likely give him the bag if he plays well. I sure wouldn’t without seeing minimum 2 years of pro level commitment. I don’t think JD would either even after a good year.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

So the LT is either Becton or someone else we acquire.  We are likely not drafting a LT since we don't have a first round draft pick. 

The Right T is Mitchell, Turner or the guy they drafted.  Or someone else.  

If Becton is franchised and then moves on, likely so will Aaron Rodgers, so we will then figure it out.  

I don’t even know what this line will look like week 3 this season.

8 minutes ago, JetsFlyer said:

Master Class indeed. lets not forget Becton came into camp this year and immediately blamed the team and coaching staff for causing his injury because they tried him at RT,  and he told the press!!!  and his twitter posts were all about his work at LEFT TACKLE..   hats off to coach saleh!!!

I mean ok they got him on the field this year so some credit there but a master would’ve motivated him to take his rehab seriously last off season 

I personally think it was less Saleh’s handling and more impending financial crossroads that is motivating Becton (just like it did right before the draft to crash diet).

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Ok well talk to JD he makes the decisions and declined Becton’s option which means FA is the most likely scenario 

Ok, in all seriousness,  you don't  let an important position player like OT, especially a guy that can play left or right just waltz out the door. Now if he spends more time on IR than on the field,  that is one thing and he probably will be gone but I think Becton os going g to have a healthy year and get extended or tagged. 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, in all seriousness,  you don't  let an important position player like OT, especially a guy that can play left or right just waltz out the door. Now if he spends more time on IR than on the field,  that is one thing and he probably will be gone but I think Becton os going g to have a healthy year and get extended or tagged. 

Here’s the thing, JD already did the math for us and his conclusion is that it’s somewhere south of 50% that Becton is our long term guy.

You can of course disagree with JD’s assessment but keep in mind he’s also the guy who will decide Becton’s ultimate Jets fate.

29 minutes ago, jgb said:

Here’s the thing, JD already did the math for us and his conclusion is that it’s somewhere south of 50% that Becton is our long term guy.

You can of course disagree with JD’s assessment but keep in mind he’s also the guy who will decide Becton’s ultimate Jets fate.

The guy that will determine Becton's fate is Becton. Right now he is the best player on the OL. That includes AVT. Becton has been dominant in a way we have not seen on the OL. If he keeps this up, JD would be a moron to let him walk and I don't  believe he is a moron. The OL has been a mess since he got here and he has been holding it together with bandaid. Let's  not forget that KD picked Becton and wants him to workout. 

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The guy that will determine Becton's fate is Becton. Right now he is the best player on the OL. That includes AVT. Becton has been dominant in a way we have not seen on the OL. If he keeps this up, JD would be a moron to let him walk and I don't  believe he is a moron. The OL has been a mess since he got here and he has been holding it together with bandaid. Let's  not forget that KD picked Becton and wants him to workout. 

If if if if. We agree it’s “if” but you don’t like me giving odds, why?

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

If if if if. We agree it’s “if” but you don’t like me giving odds, why?

Because I think the light has come on for Becton. He seems different now like he wants it and has something to play for. It's  just how I see him. If you see the same immature  kid that he was before camp last year, you are entitled to your opinion. Mine is different.