9/11

freestater

Remember that day, will never forget. I was going to work and caught the #4 to Bowling Green. It was pretty empty and then a woman got on at 14st and said a plane had just crashed into the WTC. At first, I thought it was just a small propeller plane. Then we got thrown off the train down near the WTC.  All of a sudden people were scrambling in the train station freaking out.  I took the next train into Brooklyn and when I got out saw the WTC crashing down.  People were in absolute mayhem.  It was surreal. Saddest day in New York. 😪

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

For those who lived through it, especially those in NY, DC, PA, there is no need for reminder.  We remember.

For those who weren't born?  This "bad generation" argument, I don't buy it.

Pearl Harbor was Dec. 7, 1941.

Were kids born after 1941 being super mature about Pearl in 1963?

Were schools even having "moments of silence" for Pearl by 1963?

Horror and tragedy belong to the generation that experienced it.  Future generations rarely feel it the way the old generation does.  And it's also geographical, non-NY'ers (and to a much lesser degree DC'ers) will never feel 9/11 the way NY'ers do.

I assure you, there are people in this thread who were far from silent, or mature, on Pearl Harbor day when they themselves were youngsters in school.  I'll go further, I'd bet many of you didn't even know what Pearl Harbor Day was when you were kids.

It's just the way it is.  Kids born after 2001, and who live outside the effected areas, they'll never be as mature and/or reverential about 9/11 as we will.

It's our pain to remember.  Hopefully those kids will not have one of their own to own in the lives.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

its like kids in the 60's asked to remember Pearl Harbor.  There's a gap of reality just not there.

This is true but the thing with 9/11 is that it was captured from every angle at every moment. That's the thing that's so mind-blowing about it. Aside from the human tragedy, to have it all play out like that in front of our eyes. My kid was born years after 9/11 but I put the footage on for him when I thought he was old enough so he'd understand what happened that day.

Although saying that, even now when I see footage there's something about it that doesn't seem real. Ive been to the memorial and standing there next to the waterfalls, looking at all those names in the quiet (or as quiet as you can get in NY city), it was surreal to think what happened at that spot

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For those who lived through it, especially those in NY, DC, PA, there is no need for reminder.  We remember.

For those who weren't born?  This "bad generation" argument, I don't buy it.

Pearl Harbor was Dec. 7, 1941.

Were kids born after 1941 being super mature about Pearl in 1963?

Were schools even having "moments of silence" for Pearl by 1963?

Horror and tragedy belong to the generation that experienced it.  Future generations rarely feel it the way the old generation does.  And it's also geographical, non-NY'ers (and to a much lesser degree DC'ers) will never feel 9/11 the way NY'ers do.

I assure you, there are people in this thread who were far from silent, or mature, on Pearl Harbor day when they themselves were youngsters in school.  I'll go further, I'd bet many of you didn't even know what Pearl Harbor Day was when you were kids.

It's just the way it is.  Kids born after 2001, and who live outside the effected areas, they'll never be as mature and/or reverential about 9/11 as we will.

It's our pain to remember.  Hopefully those kids will not have one of their own to own in the lives.

Uhhh nah.  Tragedy is tragic to whoever whenever it occurs. Depends on the individual's sense of empathy. I see film clips of Pearl Harbor and how the Nazis murdered millions and it makes me sick every time. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, usanyj said:

Different generation of kids now.  I am in education as well and I see it daily.  It's easy to see when so many of them are force fed the idea that America is a bad place.  Why would they respect something that happened well before their years even though it effects those around them so much?

It's a fight every time to authorize the underfunded budget for responders who suffer lifelong complications. Little to nothing was done for the people in neighborhoods or downwind who also experienced and continue to experience long term health complications. It wasn't today's teenagers making those decisions the past twenty-two years. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

its like kids in the 60's asked to remember Pearl Harbor.  There's a gap of reality just not there.

I really don't get this take.  It's American history which politicians are trying to rewrite. Good luck with that.  Without traditions, you are left with an empty board.  

• Upvote 1

Such an awful day that we will never, ever forget. 

My mother had an office in tower 1 that she used for a required monthly meeting . Thankfully, she was working uptown that day. But I remember frantically calling home from a payphone (I didn't have a cell phone back then) and being so relieved when my dad told me that she wasn't downtown that day. 

RIP to all of the innocent men, women, and children who lost their lives 22 years ago today. 

• Upvote 1

I still remember how surreal it was.  That moment when it went from "this crazy thing on TV" to "oh sh*t, this is real life".  Like hearing about some kid who's dad works in one of the buildings, some teacher who's brother is FDNY, seeing the panic on people's faces.  I remember it occurring to me shortly before we got sent home from school that my dad would head to the city every few months, and one of his stops was the WTC.  My heart was beating out of my chest until I got home and saw him sitting on the couch watching the news.

I'll never forget that day, nor the days after when the city and country came together.  That first baseball game back with Piazza's home run.  Surreal is really the only word I can think of to describe that time.  Like living in a dream.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

yet the kids from the 60's, especially from Jewish families, could understand the holocaust.  Each situation is independent.  There is no "trend" with these things. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I really don't get this take.  It's American history which politicians are trying to rewrite. Good luck with that.  Without traditions, you are left with an empty board.  

I have no idea what you're talking about.  What he said is pretty reasonable.  It's one thing when you live through it, but kids born after or who weren't old enough to understand it when it happened are never going to see this day the same way as us.  There's really nothing political about it.  Rewriting history?  I'm lost bud.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

My point is that when I learned of WWII, as a young elementary student,  I was 8 in 1969.  That war wasn't even 25 years done and it may have well have been the civil war in my mind. Kids don't have a sense of time. At least I didn't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

My point is that when I learned of WWII, as a young elementary student,  I was 8 in 1969.  That war wasn't even 25 years done and it may have well have been the civil war in my mind. Kids don't have a sense of time. At least I didn't. 

Same.  In fact it occurred to me shortly after 9/11 that this is what it must have been like for those people living through all those moments in history that I had learned about in school.  I had no reference up until that point.  sh*t I was reading in text books might as well have been about people from another world.  I knew the importance of those events, but there was no emotional tie.  My grandpa was a WWII vet but he never talked about it.  It just wasn't who he was.  There's really no way to truly understand unless you were there and experienced it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Same.  In fact it occurred to me shortly after 9/11 that this is what it must have been like for those people living through all those moments in history that I had learned about in school.  I had no reference up until that point.  sh*t I was reading in text books might as well have been about people from another world.  I knew the importance of those events, but there was no emotional tie.  My grandpa was a WWII vet but he never talked about it.  It just wasn't who he was.  There's really no way to truly understand unless you were there and experienced it.

It was the first moment that I understood the people who said that they were alive for the Kennedy assassination and could remember exactly where they were 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, freestater said:

It was the first moment that I understood the people who said that they were alive for the Kennedy assassination and could remember exactly where they were 

Great example.

And as one born after that, I can tell you without any embarassment, that that event will never be felt (by me) the way it was felt for those who went through it.

I can understand it intellectually, but truly feeling it is different.

Most of us here feel 9/11, and very personally at that (i.e. more, even, than some person living in Phoenix or in Montana).  We feel it the most, and most of you even more than me (I was in DC, near the Pentagon but not in it, and only had family in/near the towers).

For most folks born after, and especially folks born after not living in/from NY, they never really will.

Who cares who felt what and when. It was tragic. It turned USA upside down, just like Pearl Harbor. But here we are with posters arguing they felt it more than others or some don't know how they could feel this or that. Ridiculous nonsense.  It's  absurd to try and disqualify an individual's sense of feeling.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Who cares who felt what and when. It was tragic. It turned USA upside down, just like Pearl Harbor. But here we are with posters arguing they felt it more than others or some don't know how they could feel this or that. Ridiculous nonsense.  It's  absurd to try and disqualify an individual's sense of feeling.  

That type of bloviating is a bit cringe. It impacted the entire country and we all saw it go down on television. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

That type of bloviating is a bit cringe. It impacted the entire country and we all saw it go down on television. 

Damn near most of teh country thought we were being invaded on a large scale, not just isolated terror attacks. It shook up the entire world since foreign nations know, you mess with USA, it will be a global issue.

• Upvote 1