2024 offensive tackles

derp

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rookie Becton was exciting because you saw the tools and the ability, but even in that season he missed two games outright and left four others with injury (less than 50% of snaps in three, 57% in the fourth). Then he followed it up by ballooning to 400 lbs, opting out of camp, showing up sweating mayonnaise, and getting predictably hurt again. He tried sweating it out this year to get a contract, and he was a bottom five tackle in the sport, considering the penalties and the sacks allowed. 

30 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

You can find this on pff.com.  

In 2020, becton allowed 7 sacks and had 7 penalties.  He had the 9th most penalties and allowed the 5th most sacks of all tackles.  This is the great rookie year we think he had.  

In 2021 he barely played, and in 2022 he didn’ t play.  

In 2023, he gave up 12 sacks (tops among tackles) and had 18 penalties (2nd).  

He’s not good.  Period. 

Not sure why both of you guys are listing post-2020 numbers since I thought we were discussing his rookie year.  Also August weird you reference PFF but didn't list his grade that year.  Interesting.  

Not sure why you guys are trying so hard to sell me that he wasn't good that year, at least by rookie standards.  Clearly he was, and it was mostly because of how well he finished that season.  Every Jet fan was excited about the guy post-2020 season.  Not sure why we're trying to rewrite history here.  You want to move on from him, that's fine.  It makes sense, considering how bad he was this year, and considering the injury history.  Really don't see why we have to pretend he was never good though to make ourselves feel better about not signing him.  That's just not the case, and I'm pretty sure both of you know it too.

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Not sure why both of you guys are listing post-2020 numbers since I thought we were discussing his rookie year.  Also August weird you reference PFF but didn't list his grade that year.  Interesting.  

Not sure why you guys are trying so hard to sell me that he wasn't good that year, at least by rookie standards.  Clearly he was, and it was mostly because of how well he finished that season.  Every Jet fan was excited about the guy post-2020 season.  Not sure why we're trying to rewrite history here.  You want to move on from him, that's fine.  It makes sense, considering how bad he was this year, and considering the injury history.  Really don't see why we have to pretend he was never good though to make ourselves feel better about not signing him.  That's just not the case, and I'm pretty sure both of you know it too.

I disagree.  Clearly he was not that good in his rookie year.  A good rookie year is not having the 9th most penalties and giving up the 5th most sacks in only 14 games.  He had his moments but his body is not suited for either tackle position, especially left. 

4 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Excited?  Plenty of us felt that the jury was still out and felt that his rookie season was being way overrated.  That's not rewriting history.  I was here.  I lived it.  You are correct that plenty of people were full rant that he was a our "FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE FOR A DECADE" but you should also remember that many of those same people though that Denzel Mims was a future Randy Moss, or in January 2022 that Elijah Moore was going to be a #1 WR.

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Excited?  Plenty of us felt that the jury was still out and felt that his rookie season was being way overrated.  That's not rewriting history.  I was here.  I lived it.  You are correct that plenty of people were full rant that he was a our "FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE FOR A DECADE" but you should also remember that many of those same people though that Denzel Mims was a future Randy Moss, or in January 2022 that Elijah Moore was going to be a #1 WR.

When you say "people" you sure it wasn't one person who has a nitrous oxide addiction?  People were excited about Mims when we drafted him, and rightly so.  He was considered a 1st round talent.  It didn't work out, but I highly doubt "many" people were throwing that prediction around. I don't recall much around here from that time though, so if I'm wrong I'd love to see the old posts.   

Also Moore is another one.  He DID have a good rookie year.  Are we going to deny this as well?  Like, if you tempered expectations, great.  That really has nothing to do with evaluating his rookie season though.  Same with Becton.  You probably tempered your expectations for Garrett and Sauce as well I'm sure.  That's probably just the type of dude you are.  Nothing wrong with it.  But it's possible to say "he had a good rookie season" without having to also say "he's going to have a great career".  Becton had a good rookie season.  Moore had a good rookie season.  Them not turning into what we hoped doesn't take that away.   

Other than that though I'm kinda done with this argument on whether or not Becton was a good player in 2020.  It's ******* pointless.  You guys don't think he was....great.  I think most would disagree, but it's all irrelevant.  It doesn't change the fact that he was godawful this year, and they would be 100% justified in letting him walk.

15 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

When you say "people" you sure it wasn't one person who has a nitrous oxide addiction?  People were excited about Mims when we drafted him, and rightly so.  He was considered a 1st round talent.  It didn't work out, but I highly doubt "many" people were throwing that prediction around. I don't recall much around here from that time though, so if I'm wrong I'd love to see the old posts.   

Also Moore is another one.  He DID have a good rookie year.  Are we going to deny this as well?  Like, if you tempered expectations, great.  That really has nothing to do with evaluating his rookie season though.  Same with Becton.  You probably tempered your expectations for Garrett and Sauce as well I'm sure.  That's probably just the type of dude you are.  Nothing wrong with it.  But it's possible to say "he had a good rookie season" without having to also say "he's going to have a great career".  Becton had a good rookie season.  Moore had a good rookie season.  Them not turning into what we hoped doesn't take that away.   

Other than that though I'm kinda done with this argument on whether or not Becton was a good player in 2020.  It's ******* pointless.  You guys don't think he was....great.  I think most would disagree, but it's all irrelevant.  It doesn't change the fact that he was godawful this year, and they would be 100% justified in letting him walk.

I think the issue we are discussing is good vs. good for a rookie.  Puka Nacua had a good season.  Garrett Wilson had a good season.   Mims was meh and Moore had a season that was good for a rookie.  That is how I felt about Becton.  In 2020, he had a good season for a rookie.  You hope that he would improve and plenty of guys that are quality NFL players cannot play at that level as rookies, but I don't think we would be exctied to give him a huge extension if he merely continued that level of play for another three years.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the issue we are discussing is good vs. good for a rookie.  Puka Nacua had a good season.  Garrett Wilson had a good season.   Mims was meh and Moore had a season that was good for a rookie.  That is how I felt about Becton.  In 2020, he had a good season for a rookie.  You hope that he would improve and plenty of guys that are quality NFL players cannot play at that level as rookies, but I don't think we would be exctied to give him a huge extension if he merely continued that level of play for another three years.

He may have been the worst tackle in 2023 and that’s the problem.  He shed weight and clearly regressed.  And based on his overall nfl performance your realistic expectation going forward is that he is at best average.  But idk if he can even be that.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TheMo said:

I'll say this about the whole argument going on here. I think after his rookie season most assumed he at least improve. I'd say he was an average starter at a premium spot with some penalty issues as a rookie. So for a rookie that's good. Not only has he not gotten better, but he's regressed. Now given his experience he's a below average starter which makes him awful. As an analogy to my own field, on our yearly exam the great score I got as a first year anesthesia resident would be alarmingly bad as a senior resident two years later. 

The last line is a great point and is really the bottom line here. Becton is a liability at this point and can’t be part of this thing going forward.

• Upvote 2

By Randy Mueller

Feb 2, 2024

A similar example is on the National roster, offensive lineman Dominick Puni. I had seen him play left tackle at Kansas but wondered whether he would be better suited for guard or even play some center. I’ve gotten to see this now against top-notch opposition, as he has played both interior positions this week. This is valuable information.

Dominick Puni, OT, Kansas
Height: 6-5. Weight: 320.
Puni spent four seasons at Central Missouri, where he played both left and right tackle. He could rise with a strong showing at the Senior Bowl and might be a sleeper value pick in then 2024 NFL Draft.

Intriguing 2024 NFL Draft prospects from East-West Shrine Bowl

Caedan Wallace (6-4 3/8, 322), OT, Penn State

The Nittany Lions’ starter opposite likely top-10 pick Olu Fashanu the last two years, Wallace plays with terrific feet and can really move in space — both up to the second level and beyond. He was consistently one of the quickest tackles off the snap in run drills early in the week with pads on, and while he’ll occasionally lunge or fall off a block in the run game, there’s a ton to like here.

Wallace measured in with 33 5/8-inch arms and 10 1/2-inch hands and showed the second-highest max acceleration GPS number of any offensive lineman.

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2024 at 11:22 PM, football guy said:

This is turning out to be a truly elite OL class (something we could’ve used desperately last year but better late than never). 

Unlike last year where teams only saw 4-5 guys worthy of going in round 1 (5 tackles in top 64 picks), there will be a lot more this year which could lead to teams figuring out different ways to allocate their resources (for example, the Chargers—who have a LT—may decide to wait until round 2/3 to address RT in favor of investing #6 in another position). It also should result in less teams looking to trade up to jump others for an opportunity to take a tackle. 

For these reasons, I think there’s a good chance that one of the top 2 tackles falls into our lap as we’re seeing in recent mocks. I too agree with Jeremiah that the “consensus” tackle rankings may very well change. When it’s all said and done, some teams will have higher grades on Alt/Fuaga/Latham/Fautanu/Paul style players, with others preferring guys like Fashanu/Mims/Guyton/Suamataia/Morgan. All will likely wind up top 64 picks 

In the draft where we got GW (I think 2022), it was a WR heavy draft.  But there were many WRs actually taken in round 1 that year, even though there was depth.  Do we have any reason to think it won't be the case for OL this year?  I feel like OL has been raised in value in recent years and many teams seem to need it.  Plus teams like Detroit and Philly, who both have excellent OL, did very well this year.  (I know Philly fell off but I wonder how much had to do with Jalen Hurts getting injured).

On 1/30/2024 at 10:38 AM, #27TheDominator said:

This counts as only a "good" season to you?  Looks like a great one to me.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NacuPu00.htm

image.png.039b74dd055680d2d1021f39f9b6a409.png

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

In the draft where we got GW (I think 2022), it was a WR heavy draft.  But there were many WRs actually taken in round 1 that year, even though there was depth.  Do we have any reason to think it won't be the case for OL this year?  I feel like OL has been raised in value in recent years and many teams seem to need it.  Plus teams like Detroit and Philly, who both have excellent OL, did very well this year.  (I know Philly fell off but I wonder how much had to do with Jalen Hurts getting injured).

A bunch of guys will go in the first, but if a team ahead of the Jets wants a tackle there will at the very least be opportunities in the late first/early second to go get a guy - or even have someone fall to them - and I don’t think the same goes for all positions in this class.

On 1/30/2024 at 9:48 AM, bonkertons said:

Becton was a functional, average Rookie Tackle, nothing more. You are overrating him by a large margin here. And year one tells us nothing anyway. The Giants OT Thomas was considered a "bust" after his Rookie Year by many, he developed into a solid to somewhat above average player. Same with lots of guys in the league. Becton went from "Promising but average" to a giant sack of sh*t. 

"Over the final seven weeks of the 2020 season, Pro Football Focus scored Becton with a 78.3 pass-blocking grade and a 72.4 run-blocking grade. Those marks ranked ninth and 10th, respectively, among qualified left tackles over that span. Some of the matchups he dueled with over that span include Joey Bosa, Maxx Crosby, and Myles Garrett.
Becton was one of only six left tackles to rank top-10 in both categories over that time period. Of that six-man bunch, he was the only rookie."

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This counts as only a "good" season to you?  Looks like a great one to me.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NacuPu00.htm

image.png.039b74dd055680d2d1021f39f9b6a409.png

Semantics.  Not sure how it relates to my point.  Do you think Becron's 2020 season correlates to Nacua's season? Or Xay Flowers for that matter.?  Not really comparable 

On 2/3/2024 at 6:16 AM, section314 said:

The last line is a great point and is really the bottom line here. Becton is a liability at this point and can’t be part of this thing going forward.

At this point the guy is at best a high end swing tackle backup. That's if you only consider traits. If you consider his injury risk and penalty situation he comes closer to an average backup.

He is the perfect epitome of JD's Barry Bonds on crystal meth strategy. Swing wildly at every pitch and you'll hit some home runs. Screw the triples you could have hit. Becton, Wilson both are this kind of move. Even his McDonald pick screams of a lack of strategy when you consider Huff. Now you can say good problem to have but given the status of the rest of the roster it's a poor allocation of resources. But again there is no philosophy.

Him and Saleh are like having that moron Jamal Adams as a leader. Just give me more dawgs. Screw roster management. Mawrrrr dawgs. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/4/2024 at 11:40 PM, T0mShane said:

Honestly fascinated to see where Mims goes. Brugler had him top five preseason and he just hasn't played much. 

As someone who kind of thinks Douglas is just done anyway, I don't know how much I mind a huge swing. If they can move down and get him in the 20's - either he gets Douglas fired or he's a star (but maybe Douglas still gets let go). It's not necessarily what I would do but I wouldn't be mad about it.

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, bicketybam said:

"Over the final seven weeks of the 2020 season, Pro Football Focus scored Becton with a 78.3 pass-blocking grade and a 72.4 run-blocking grade. Those marks ranked ninth and 10th, respectively, among qualified left tackles over that span. Some of the matchups he dueled with over that span include Joey Bosa, Maxx Crosby, and Myles Garrett.
Becton was one of only six left tackles to rank top-10 in both categories over that time period. Of that six-man bunch, he was the only rookie."

This is kind of what I am talking about.  Over a short sample size (less than half a season) Becton was top third in run and pass blocking.  There are only 32 teams.  Being top ten is not something that should be unheard of.  Ten weeks into the season, how many first string left tackles are even left playing?  Also, that is PFF.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is kind of what I am talking about.  Over a short sample size (less than half a season) Becton was top third in run and pass blocking.  There are only 32 teams.  Being top ten is not something that should be unheard of.  Ten weeks into the season, how many first string left tackles are even left playing?  Also, that is PFF.  

The Jets suck so fans have way overrated brief stretches of high level play. Becton did it his rookie year, Moore did it his, believe Mims did it his as well, and I'm sure there are many other examples. As (I think) you're saying, several good games does not a good player make.

Guys like Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall at this point are pretty established at least. I think they'd be smart to try to keep Hall fresher and get a few more years out of him rather than running him into the ground but I definitely am digressing there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

The Jets suck so fans have way overrated brief stretches of high level play. Becton did it his rookie year, Moore did it his, believe Mims did it his as well, and I'm sure there are many other examples. As (I think) you're saying, several good games does not a good player make.

Guys like Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall at this point are pretty established at least. I think they'd be smart to try to keep Hall fresher and get a few more years out of him rather than running him into the ground but I definitely am digressing there.

Yep.  I don't even think Mims ever strung anything together, but he fits the profile.  They did things in their rookie year that gave hope and a reasonable belief they would be solid to high level starters.  That does not mean they were ever solid or high level starters.  "Good for a rookie."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yep.  I don't even think Mims ever strung anything together, but he fits the profile.  They did things in their rookie year that gave hope and a reasonable belief they would be solid to high level starters.  That does not mean they were ever solid or high level starters.  "Good for a rookie."

Yup. Mims wasn't great, but over his first six games as a pro he was averaging over 50 yards a game - over a 900 yard per season pace. Not elite, but would've been useful if he'd kept that up. And certainly not something you'd think would lead to cut before third year in the league level of disappointing. 

Very much "good for a rookie", but not established whatsoever. Looking back, really disappointing he started like that and then just fell off a cliff.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, derp said:

Honestly fascinated to see where Mims goes. Brugler had him top five preseason and he just hasn't played much. 

As someone who kind of thinks Douglas is just done anyway, I don't know how much I mind a huge swing. If they can move down and get him in the 20's - either he gets Douglas fired or he's a star (but maybe Douglas still gets let go). It's not necessarily what I would do but I wouldn't be mad about it.

I’d be terrified of Douglas bringing in an underdeveloped OT with injury flags because the infrastructure is so bad here. The turf plus Keith Carter is not going to help that kid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be terrified of Douglas bringing in an underdeveloped OT with injury flags because the infrastructure is so bad here. The turf plus Keith Carter is not going to help that kid.

Yeah I think I’ve become apathetic to the point of not really minding the downside scenario.

• Upvote 2

Scared of drafting Mims.  Scared of Mike Vrabel.  C'mon man!  Enjoy the ride!

• Haha 2

Actually, I’m going to reframe my prior post a little.

There’s a chance Mims is just really good at football. It’s a small sample, but it’s possible he’s just a plug and play guy. And one they could potentially get while picking up a second round pick or something.

So it’s that plus the apathy.

I think on the underdeveloped side it’s more the Guyton, Suamataia group. Mims might be, I just think he’s got a little more lottery ticket, look back in a few years and wonder why he went 24th in the draft to him. 

Also if everything goes downhill probably a new infrastructure in place in a year to try to work with a talented player.

But I do like the concept of huge swing plus an extra selection.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, derp said:

Actually, I’m going to reframe my prior post a little.

There’s a chance Mims is just really good at football. It’s a small sample, but it’s possible he’s just a plug and play guy. And one they could potentially get while picking up a second round pick or something.

So it’s that plus the apathy.

I think on the underdeveloped side it’s more the Guyton, Suamataia group. Mims might be, I just think he’s got a little more lottery ticket, look back in a few years and wonder why he went 24th in the draft to him. 

Also if everything goes downhill probably a new infrastructure in place in a year to try to work with a talented player.

But I do like the concept of huge swing plus an extra selection.

I am, predictably, leaning the opposite way where—if we’re going OL in the first—Douglas has to try to smack a double to right field and be done with it. Guy doesn’t have to be a star, but he needs to be a reliable, healthy, stout six year starter at one of the OL spots. Another swing an miss at an expensive OL spot and we’re really far down a dark rebuilding path.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am, predictably, leaning the opposite way where—if we’re going OL in the first—Douglas has to try to smack a double to right field and be done with it. Guy doesn’t have to be a star, but he needs to be a reliable, healthy, stout six year starter at one of the OL spots. Another swing an miss at an expensive OL spot and we’re really far down a dark rebuilding path.

Yeah, I'm not interested in another swing for the fences ala Becton. Get me the reliable guy that doesn't miss games. I undersand Mims has some nice analytics that were posted but the tape I've watched also includes some absolutely horrific reps (like, completely missing the defender type reps). 

Worst case scenario for me is Fuaga at 10, but I'm still trying to plant stories on the internet about Olu being a pedophile so he can drop to the Jets. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, I think a) there is no double at OT in this class (aside from maybe Fashanu) and b) they're already really far down a dark rebuilding path. I guess b) is probably more of a source of difference than a). A double at OT doesn't change that, for me at least.

Difference largely probably stems from the fact that I am like 75% sure Douglas will be fired after this coming season and 95% sure that he should be fired after this coming season.

And while there are things that should factor into that, I don't think the 2024 first round selection will. What will is largely already in place, just need the season to play out.

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I am, predictably, leaning the opposite way where—if we’re going OL in the first—Douglas has to try to smack a double to right field and be done with it. Guy doesn’t have to be a star, but he needs to be a reliable, healthy, stout six year starter at one of the OL spots. Another swing a miss at an expensive OL spot and we’re really far down a dark rebuilding path.

If they take fuaga that’s probably your double.  If alt is there that could be the home run.  Not sure about the penn st guy, increasingly he’s falling in mocks and could be more of a brick type player where he has elite tools but needs a year to acclimate to the nfl.  

• 1 month later...

Jim Nagy ⁦‪@JimNagy_SB‬⁩

Following six teams will have OL coaches present at Oklahoma's pro-day today to workout ⁦‪@seniorbowl‬⁩ alums RT Tyler Guyton, a likely first round pick, and OC Andrew Raym:

𝙂𝙞𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙨, 𝙅𝙚𝙩𝙨, 𝙋𝙖𝙩𝙧𝙞𝙤𝙩𝙨, 𝘿𝙤𝙡𝙥𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙨, 𝘾𝙤𝙬𝙗𝙤𝙮𝙨 & 𝙍𝙖𝙞𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙨…

3/12/24, 11:06 AM

Devin Jackson ⁦‪@RealD_Jackson‬⁩

#Jets OL coach Keith Carter also put #Oklahoma OT Tyler Guyton and Walter Rouse through run blocking drills as well this morning.

NYJ will obviously be in the market for OT prospects in this class. 

pic.twitter.com/ZxLoC2reiC

3/12/24, 3:11 PM

The New York Jets had a large contingent at the workout, including offensive line coach Keith Carter, running backs coach Tony Dews, tight ends coach Ron Middleton, and offensive assistant coach Junior Taylor.

The majority of NFL attendants on hand were there to watch offensive lineman Jordan Morgan, who met with the New York Jets for dinner last night after meeting the Baltimore Ravens for lunch.

Morgan basically had three private workouts rather than one pro day workout. The New York Jets first put Morgan through an array of drills followed by the Baltimore Ravens then the Dallas Cowboys. The Ravens stepped up again and ran Morgan through a few more drills. Teams had Morgan run drills which simulated both left and right tackle, and he displayed his versatility showing a lot of athleticism. His offensive line workout lasted almost an hour and had to be stopped so the other players could start position drills.

The feedback on Morgan was all good and teams are convinced he can hold down the tackle spot in the NFL. Speaking with people Morgan is in play for the Cowboys at pick number 24, the Ravens at pick number 30 and the Kansas City Chiefs at pick number 32. The feeling is he won’t last past the Commander selection at pick 36 as Washington is very high on the Arizona lineman.

NFL teams showing interest in Jacob Cowing and Taylor Upshaw

Receiver Jacob Cowing also had a terrific pro day. He looked quick, very smooth and caught the ball well. As someone on hand told me, the arrow is pointing up for Cowing.

The New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals put Cowing through drills and think highly of him. The Bengals would draft Cowing but it is interesting the Jets flew to Arizona to work him out. All indications are the Jets are satisfied with their slot receiver/return specialist Xavier Gipson, the undrafted free agent out of Stephen F. Austin who had a sensational rookie season in 2023.