2024 offensive tackles

derp

• 1 month later...

This is turning out to be a truly elite OL class (something we could’ve used desperately last year but better late than never). 

Unlike last year where teams only saw 4-5 guys worthy of going in round 1 (5 tackles in top 64 picks), there will be a lot more this year which could lead to teams figuring out different ways to allocate their resources (for example, the Chargers—who have a LT—may decide to wait until round 2/3 to address RT in favor of investing #6 in another position). It also should result in less teams looking to trade up to jump others for an opportunity to take a tackle. 

For these reasons, I think there’s a good chance that one of the top 2 tackles falls into our lap as we’re seeing in recent mocks. I too agree with Jeremiah that the “consensus” tackle rankings may very well change. When it’s all said and done, some teams will have higher grades on Alt/Fuaga/Latham/Fautanu/Paul style players, with others preferring guys like Fashanu/Mims/Guyton/Suamataia/Morgan. All will likely wind up top 64 picks 

• Upvote 1

I feel confident we will find a LT even if it’s someone who starts at RT first. 

My concern is what free agent are we signing at LT? We need someone who can start regardless of who we draft in case of rookie growing pains at LT, injury, or just someone to hold the fort until the rookie is ready.

10 hours ago, football guy said:

This is turning out to be a truly elite OL class (something we could’ve used desperately last year but better late than never). 

Unlike last year where teams only saw 4-5 guys worthy of going in round 1 (5 tackles in top 64 picks), there will be a lot more this year which could lead to teams figuring out different ways to allocate their resources (for example, the Chargers—who have a LT—may decide to wait until round 2/3 to address RT in favor of investing #6 in another position). It also should result in less teams looking to trade up to jump others for an opportunity to take a tackle. 

For these reasons, I think there’s a good chance that one of the top 2 tackles falls into our lap as we’re seeing in recent mocks. I too agree with Jeremiah that the “consensus” tackle rankings may very well change. When it’s all said and done, some teams will have higher grades on Alt/Fuaga/Latham/Fautanu/Paul style players, with others preferring guys like Fashanu/Mims/Guyton/Suamataia/Morgan. All will likely wind up top 64 picks 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I feel confident we will find a LT even if it’s someone who starts at RT first. 

My concern is what free agent are we signing at LT? We need someone who can start regardless of who we draft in case of rookie growing pains at LT, injury, or just someone to hold the fort until the rookie is ready.

I’ve watched Latham and he’s not a LT.  Fauga has a better shot of going to LT but why change him, he’s going to be great at RT.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, OMA said:

I think Sims is the guy most likely to rise and possibly be in conversations for top 2 OT.  Has elite physical traits but durability has been an issue with ankle. 

Too much like becton and i can’t see douglas taking mims or Latham with that issue right off the bat. 

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’ve watched Latham and he’s not a LT.  Fauga has a better shot of going to LT but why change him, he’s going to be great at RT.  

I don't want Latham to be honest. Fauga should only change to LT if the team feels he can, if not I'll take him at RT and be happy with it.

There are other guys to be had at LT in the first, even if we were to trade down. I'm more worried about what we are going to do with the OL in free agency and have this feeling that we are going to sign Becton and I'm not really thrilled about that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't want Latham to be honest. Fauga should only change to LT if the team feels he can, if not I'll take him at RT and be happy with it.

There are other guys to be had at LT in the first, even if we were to trade down. I'm more worried about what we are going to do with the OL in free agency and have this feeling that we are going to sign Becton and I'm not really thrilled about that.

What they do with becton and ZW may well play into how likely it is douglas survives beyond next season.  He needs to move on from his mistakes and hey, maybe woody prevented him from getting rid of wilson last year anyway.

FA as we know is an overpaying desperation exercise with the jets, but they need at least one competent OL from FA and that combined with the draft and avt returning, they will start out with enough on the OL.  Then they need to address qb b/c i think qb is a much greater (and more difficult) need than wr.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

What they do with becton and ZW may well play into how likely it is douglas survives beyond next season.  He needs to move on from his mistakes and hey, maybe woody prevented him from getting rid of wilson last year anyway.

FA as we know is an overpaying desperation exercise with the jets, but they need at least one competent OL from FA and that combined with the draft and avt returning, they will start out with enough on the OL.  Then they need to address qb b/c i think qb is a much greater (and more difficult) need than wr.

I actually think Woody couldn't care less about who the backup was in 2023 once we knew we were getting Rodgers and believe that it was front office driven and even Saleh probably couldn't care all that much. No one saw that kind of injury coming.

There aren't a lot of options in free agency for LT so they need someone who can play a year at least while rookie learns and plays RT until taking over at LT in 2025 or just stays at RT permanently.

I believe Douglas will push to re-sign Becton and thinks of 2023 as his year to prove he can stay healthy with 2024 being his year of proving he can return to form. Risky and dicey proposition....I wonder if they even entertain franchising 'ol boy...

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I actually think Woody couldn't care less about who the backup was in 2023 once we knew we were getting Rodgers and believe that it was front office driven and even Saleh probably couldn't care all that much. No one saw that kind of injury coming.

There aren't a lot of options in free agency for LT so they need someone who can play a year at least while rookie learns and plays RT until taking over at LT in 2025 or just stays at RT permanently.

I believe Douglas will push to re-sign Becton and thinks of 2023 as his year to prove he can stay healthy with 2024 being his year of proving he can return to form. Risky and dicey proposition....I wonder if they even entertain franchising 'ol boy...

I hope they don’t push for becton to stay b/c i think he’s mentally cooked here.  He sucked in the 2nd half of the season and for all we know it could well be b/c he checked out mentally b/c he thinks he’s leaving.  His feet and instincts seem bad even for a RT, and odds are that’s what they’re taking in round 1 anyway.  He may be the last dog they need to get out of the locker room.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I hope they don’t push for becton to stay b/c i think he’s mentally cooked here.  He sucked in the 2nd half of the season and for all we know it could well be b/c he checked out mentally b/c he thinks he’s leaving.  His feet and instincts seem bad even for a RT, and odds are that’s what they’re taking in round 1 anyway.  He may be the last dog they need to get out of the locker room.  

I couldn't agree more. But I'm not sure who we pivot to who can actually play...and play well.

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I couldn't agree more. But I'm not sure who we pivot to who can actually play...and play well.

My prediction is that they pencil avt in at LT, but don’t publicize it until after the draft.  If they get a top 2 LT, then avt slides back to g.  If not, they take a RT and use avt initially at LT and keep looking.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My prediction is that they pencil avt in at LT, but don’t publicize it until after the draft.  If they get a top 2 LT, then avt slides back to g.  If not, they take a RT and use avt initially at LT and keep looking.  

Well I think you just nailed their offseason plan for AVT. "We're going to pick one spot and keep him there." But as you said....they won't decide that until after free agency and the draft and that's fine but they need to stick to it once camp starts.

AVT at LT is intriguing and even still they'll need to sign some vet who can play just in case. Ultimately, I think they sign a vet LT + draft a LT in the 1st + move AVT to RT full time.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Well I think you just nailed their offseason plan for AVT. "We're going to pick one spot and keep him there." But as you said....they won't decide that until after free agency and the draft and that's fine but they need to stick to it once camp starts.

AVT at LT is intriguing and even still they'll need to sign some vet who can play just in case. Ultimately, I think they sign a vet LT + draft a LT in the 1st + move AVT to RT full time.

Plan A is probably sign a vet and maintain max flexibility heading into the draft.  Still it seems inevitable they’re taking a tackle in round 1, even if they trade back a few spots.  I’m just hoping they see an urgency to bring in a real competent qb and not some smallish qb who won’t do anything in the nfl.  Pratt in the 3rd!

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Plan A is probably sign a vet and maintain max flexibility heading into the draft.  Still it seems inevitable they’re taking a tackle in round 1, even if they trade back a few spots.  I’m just hoping they see an urgency to bring in a real competent qb and not some smallish qb who won’t do anything in the nfl.  Pratt in the 3rd!

I like Pratt a lot but I can't see us taking a QB in the 3rd, unless we somehow recoup our 2nd rounder (Huff tag and trade?). Our 3rd rounder will most likely need to be a starter in 2024 given the all-in approach.

I could see QB in the 4th or 5th round though. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like Pratt a lot but I can't see us taking a QB in the 3rd, unless we somehow recoup our 2nd rounder (Huff tag and trade?). Our 3rd rounder will most likely need to be a starter in 2024 given the all-in approach.

I could see QB in the 4th or 5th round though. 

As of today I’m putting odds of 50% the jets obtain another day 2 pick somehow, either by trading a defensive asset or by trading back in round 1.  Easy to see raiders, saints or Seahawks trading up for a qb or wr and the jets sliding back and taking a RT and getting a day 2 pick.  Also i think they have 2 4th rounders so i could see a swap of picks somehow that lands them a day 2 pick.  And that 3rd rounder should be pratt. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

As of today I’m putting odds of 50% the jets obtain another day 2 pick somehow, either by trading a defensive asset or by trading back in round 1.  Easy to see raiders, saints or Seahawks trading up for a qb or wr and the jets sliding back and taking a RT and getting a day 2 pick.  Also i think they have 2 4th rounders so i could see a swap of picks somehow that lands them a day 2 pick.  And that 3rd rounder should be pratt. 

Ya know obviously depending on how the board falls and there being so much OT talent in the top 65 picks or so...let's say a QB falls to 10 that a team really likes + trades up with us + we recoup that 2nd rounder and take a LT + RT with those 2 picks, move AVT back to LG and all of a sudden our OL looks completely different.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Ya know obviously depending on how the board falls and there being so much OT talent in the top 65 picks or so...let's say a QB falls to 10 that a team really likes + trades up with us + we recoup that 2nd rounder and take a LT + RT with those 2 picks, move AVT back to LG and all of a sudden our OL looks completely different.

If the jets got a 2nd rounder and used it on zinter, that really changes the line.  Now your interior OL is really solid.  

Putting AVT at left tackle just seems like poor roster mgmt and coaching.  He is a top tier interior lineman and was ok at right tackle but asking him again to float to new position is asking a lot.  We wouldn't expect Quinnen to play end or Huff to be nose tackle but now moving AVT to a third position to be a jack of all trades master of none.  I am optimistic one of the consensus top two OT fall to 10 with a run on WR 3-9 but taking another OL in rds 3,4,5 is an absolute must. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/18/2024 at 10:36 AM, Adoni Beast said:

I think they cared.  I just think they still wanted to salvage Zach, and they probably thought dropping him to 3rd in the depth chart would destroy any chance of that happening.  That and they obviously didn't want to carry 3 QBs.  

On 1/18/2024 at 10:41 AM, Augustiniak said:

In the grand scheme of things it kind of makes sense.  Dude hadn't played in two straight years so it's not that surprising that he gassed out.  That and he had an ankle injury as well, I think?  Can't remember exactly what it was but I know he missed a game+ with some sort of injury.  But yeah, I'd be fine with bringing Becton back as long as it's a one year deal.  I'm not sure if he'd accept that though.  I'm sure some team would be desperate enough to give him two, especially due to how young he still is and the fact that he has played at a high level before.  

Watching him go somewhere else to become a franchise LT would be pretty fitting though.

55 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I think they cared.  I just think they still wanted to salvage Zach, and they probably thought dropping him to 3rd in the depth chart would destroy any chance of that happening.  That and they obviously didn't want to carry 3 QBs.  

In the grand scheme of things it kind of makes sense.  Dude hadn't played in two straight years so it's not that surprising that he gassed out.  That and he had an ankle injury as well, I think?  Can't remember exactly what it was but I know he missed a game+ with some sort of injury.  But yeah, I'd be fine with bringing Becton back as long as it's a one year deal.  I'm not sure if he'd accept that though.  I'm sure some team would be desperate enough to give him two, especially due to how young he still is and the fact that he has played at a high level before.  

Watching him go somewhere else to become a franchise LT would be pretty fitting though.

Players who leave the jets usually suck just like they did with the jets.  The drafting is what’s been bad.  People were afraid Darnold would become great, he’s a backup.  Some here are even afraid wilson will shine when he leaves - nope.  Neither will becton.  

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Players who leave the jets usually suck just like they did with the jets.  The drafting is what’s been bad.  People were afraid Darnold would become great, he’s a backup.  Some here are even afraid wilson will shine when he leaves - nope.  Neither will becton.  

Difference is Becton already had a good year in this league.  Zach's never done sh*t.  Say what you will about Becton but it's not that unreasonable to hope that his struggles had more to do with coming off two years of rust, playing at a new weight, bouncing around the lineup, playing hurt, etc.

Not saying it will happen, but it's not exactly farfetched either.  

8 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Difference is Becton already had a good year in this league.  Zach's never done sh*t.  Say what you will about Becton but it's not that unreasonable to hope that his struggles had more to do with coming off two years of rust, playing at a new weight, bouncing around the lineup, playing hurt, etc.

Not saying it will happen, but it's not exactly farfetched either.  

IIRC he gave up seven sacks as a rookie, but it appeared better because he had a great game against Nick Bosa. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IIRC he gave up seven sacks as a rookie, but it appeared better because he had a great game against Nick Bosa. 

Becton’s rookie year success is distorted by jet fans, he was decent but still had pass pro trouble as you noted.  And i wouldn’t rely on him at all to protect the oldest qb in the nfl’s blindside.  They need 2 new tackles.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Brandon Thorn on Fuaga. Gives him a mid- to late-second round grade. Also saw a statistical breakdown suggesting his pass pro is not as elite as the “no sacks allowed!” would have you think.

IMG_4904.jpeg

We can’t draft this guy with our 1st rd pick..  it’d be a disaster. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:59 AM, maury77 said:

I think too many people are discounting Latham based upon 1 bad rep at the end of the playoff game. Guy is a strong as an ox, moves well and has some nastiness to his game. 

Latham looked completely lost in that game. I wouldn’t touch him with pick 10.

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't remember how many sacks he gave up, it could very well have been 7, but it was pretty obvious that he ended that season playing at a high-end LT level.  I remember reading a stat that his pass blocking and run blocking grades over the last 7 games were all top-10 in the league at LT, and he was going against some elite edge rushers during that span(Bosa, Crosby, Garrett). 

You can trash the guy for what he is now, and again I'm not even saying I would bring him back, but let's not act like if whatever OT we draft ends up having rookie production like that, that we wouldn't be excited about it.  

11 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I don't remember how many sacks he gave up, it could very well have been 7, but it was pretty obvious that he ended that season playing at a high-end LT level.  I remember reading a stat that his pass blocking and run blocking grades over the last 7 games were all top-10 in the league at LT, and he was going against some elite edge rushers during that span(Bosa, Crosby, Garrett). 

You can trash the guy for what he is now, and again I'm not even saying I would bring him back, but let's not act like if whatever OT we draft ends up having rookie production like that, that we wouldn't be excited about it.  

Rookie Becton was exciting because you saw the tools and the ability, but even in that season he missed two games outright and left four others with injury (less than 50% of snaps in three, 57% in the fourth). Then he followed it up by ballooning to 400 lbs, opting out of camp, showing up sweating mayonnaise, and getting predictably hurt again. He tried sweating it out this year to get a contract, and he was a bottom five tackle in the sport, considering the penalties and the sacks allowed. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

You can find this on pff.com.  

In 2020, becton allowed 7 sacks and had 7 penalties.  He had the 9th most penalties and allowed the 5th most sacks of all tackles.  This is the great rookie year we think he had.  

In 2021 he barely played, and in 2022 he didn’ t play.  

In 2023, he gave up 12 sacks (tops among tackles) and had 18 penalties (2nd).  

He’s not good.  Period. 

• Upvote 1