Unacceptable 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, #27TheDominator said:

I don't want to get into a whole Zach analysis.  My question is for the WR coaches.  Don't we have a couple?  @Chrebetfan80 ?  Plenty of WR analysts, right?  @Paradis @win4ever @derp @maury77 Any more?  Sorry that I missed you. 

I don't know how deep we should go analyzing this sh*tshow of a play, but looking at that first pic, Lazard looks to be set up perfectly.  If that ball were coming straight at him.  The ball is coming well past his left shoulder, but the angle means that he is not facing where the QB is, so it could not possibly have been delivered straight at him.  

I argue drops all the time because I think that the board has ridiculous expectations for receivers, but this one was pretty blatant.  Watching live, I couldn't figure out how Lazard got his hands so ****ed up, but looking at the set up, it seems he either blew it from the start, the ball wasn't where he thought it should be and/or he was not where he should have been.  A step or two to the left and a quarter turn to his right and he can't **** that up.  Lazard made so many mistakes in that mess that it sure could just have been him.

Ok not gonna get crazy here but just looking at the still pictures without video context its on lazard. 

Well thrown ball it appears, within a short distance from his frame.  His hands are set up wrong, the ball is outside the left shoulder his hands are set up for a pass at his face.  If he were going to be moving towards the ball then his hands could be there, but if he is staying stationary or working with the ball his left hand should be dropped and angled under the ball and his right hand should be higher and over the top (hard to explain easier to show).   Looking at this he either has the worst depth perception of any wr's we've seen (plausible watching him play) or more likely his catching mechanics are bad which I have often referred to.  To me Lazard is more of a ball grabber than a ball catcher.  Sounds funny but look at how his fingers flex and close as the ball comes to him,  when your finger start to curl in like that you reduce the surface area from which you catch the ball.  Poor mechanics.  

Also if you go through the pictures the defender is coming at him from his right shoulder.  The ball is correctly placed on the left to keep safe from the defenders off hand as they are taught to wrap with the near and deflect with the off hand.  Good ball, awful set up and mechanics.  That's my judgment. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Ok not gonna get crazy here but just looking at the still pictures without video context its on lazard. 

Well thrown ball it appears, within a short distance from his frame.  His hands are set up wrong, the ball is outside the left shoulder his hands are set up for a pass at his face.  If he were going to be moving towards the ball then his hands could be there, but if he is staying stationary or working with the ball his left hand should be dropped and angled under the ball and his right hand should be higher and over the top (hard to explain easier to show).   Looking at this he either has the worst depth perception of any wr's we've seen (plausible watching him play) or more likely his catching mechanics are bad which I have often referred to.  To me Lazard is more of a ball grabber than a ball catcher.  Sounds funny but look at how his fingers flex and close as the ball comes to him,  when your finger start to curl in like that you reduce the surface area from which you catch the ball.  Poor mechanics.  

Also if you go through the pictures the defender is coming at him from his right shoulder.  The ball is correctly placed on the left to keep safe from the defenders off hand as they are taught to wrap with the near and deflect with the off hand.  Good ball, awful set up and mechanics.  That's my judgment. 

Read n' learn T0mmy @T0mShane

• Haha 2

On 11/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, JiF said:

Every team, every WR, every player who has the ball thrown to him at some point in the game, drops the ball.  It's science.

However, only Zach Wilson is incapable of overcoming said drop.  For him, it's crippling to the point of worst QB in the NFL.  Pat Mahomes has the most drops in the NFL and is the best QB I've ever seen.  Weird how he doesnt just crumble into a ball of mush and use 1 drop to excuse away horrible play.

And I noticed this thread didnt show Zach Wilson air mailing multiple receivers and almost killed Lazard on the first drive but dont let facts get in the way of narrative. 

Andy Reid

Nate Hackett

seems about equal you’re right 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Thank you.  I agree completely.  Not sure if it came across in my post, but I was saying it seems like his set for that reception was a cluster ****.  I did blame Zach for many of the misses because I feel his throws were slightly off mark, or (most often) off time and that does effect the receiver, but not this one. 

In this case Lazard seems squared up but to the yard line, not the QB.  You can tell he is set up wrong because the ball hits the outside of his left hand.  Damn near breaks his pinkie - I've dislocated fingers like that.  The whole idea behind making the triangle with your hands is for the point of the ball to hit the middle.  Lack of depth perception?  Ha.  I never studied him before, but he was just off.  It happens at times, but the results say that he must be off a ton.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Thank you.  I agree completely.  Not sure if it came across in my post, but I was saying it seems like his set for that reception was a cluster ****.  I did blame Zach for many of the misses because I feel his throws were slightly off mark, or (most often) off time and that does effect the receiver, but not this one. 

In this case Lazard seems squared up but to the yard line, not the QB.  You can tell he is set up wrong because the ball hits the outside of his left hand.  Damn near breaks his pinkie - I've dislocated fingers like that.  The whole idea behind making the triangle with your hands is for the point of the ball to hit the middle.  Lack of depth perception?  Ha.  I never studied him before, but he was just off.  It happens at times, but the results say that he must be off a ton.

yea I mean, again id have to watch all the film of all his stuff to be accurate with the assessment but I know watching him over they years ive never though lazard was a natural receiver.  He always struggled with hand positioning, and his catching technique.  

There’s a piece on jetsX about the offensive plays.  Apparently the jets do best when the qb is under center and they are in a 12 formation.  This season they’ve been heavy with the 11 formation and shotgun formations.  The rationale was maybe it’s because they’ve been playing from behind so much.  But still, getting successful plays is part of the game and other teams run successfully while behind.  I don’t know who exactly calls for so many 11 packages or shotguns but maybe that’s an edict from saleh.  If so it’s a good reason to keep saleh as far away from the offense as possible.  And historically Hackett uses way less 11 and more 12 packages.