CJ Mosley

CrazyCarl40

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's terrible and should be cut before the next game. He was the reason for that big run that changed the game and even admitted as much despite those in denial about how bad he is, who just can't believe their lying eyes.

black and white raven GIF

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The same organization and coaching staff that feels lovey-dovey on Wilson feels that way about Mosley. Let that sink in as to telling how highly to value their opinions. 

As with Wilson, I value my own observations, opinions and stats analysis when considering players.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As with Wilson, I value my own observations, opinions and stats analysis when considering players.

Stats analysis from whom? From PFF who outright doesn't count a play when Mosley gets juked out of his uniform? They didn't count either of his missed tackles in week 1 alone, when (I forget whom) someone posted the PFF detailed #s after that Bills game. 

The rest of the defense is carrying Mosley. 

He has been much better this year but we still have the odd brainy strategy of having him cover the likes of davante adams.

He is an inside linebacker so I'd let him walk in a new york minute if he is too costly.

About the easiest thing to find is an ilb that makes a bunch of tackles when the dline keeps him clean.

Heart and soul?   He will be until he leaves and the next guy takes over being the heart and soul.

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, ILB is the least important position other than SS these days, but keep advocating we pay that man 7 figures, King!  :) 

That's a ridiculous take . Sure if they are crappy players this could be true but if you have All-Pros at those positions just like any where else it makes a huge difference . I don't think for a second Mosely is an All Pro but he does a good job with the defense

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The rest of the defense is carrying Mosley. 

So I've heard you say.

You know who I've not heard say that?

Literally anyone else.  Not announcers, not analysists, not fans, no one.  Just you. 

Well, and 80 too I guess.  although it's always seemed your complains were more about his paycheck and COVID sitting than his play on the field, I guess now it's his play too.

But I suppose you could be right. 

I'm not seeing it personally, I see a LB everywhere on the filed, making tackles other guys miss, and handling the QB'ing of a very good D quite well.  But clearly, you see something else.

But of the two, Zach or Mosely, I'd bench Zach a million times over before I'd worry about Mosely.  But to each their own.  

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fred Warner does it in the same system.  3 INTs and 2 FFs this season.

He is (At current) #1 in the NFL at LB with those 3 INT's.  Tied with Spillane.  

3 LB'ers have 2 INT's. 

Mosely has 1.   So tied for 6th in the NFL at LB for INT's.

Warner's 2 FF's puts him at tied for 3rd. 

Chubb has 4 and is alone at #1.  

Hunter and Mack, both OLB'ers, have 3 each.

Many LB'ers have 2.  

Mosely has only 1.  Not great.

Of course, I don't view INT's as the primary job of a MLB.  I view tackles as their primary job.  INT's are nice if you get them, and elite talents will get some, and Mosely has dropped at least 2 this year I can recall, but it's not the primary job of a MLB.  Roaming sideline to sideline cleaning up what the rest of the D fails to tackle is their job IMO.  

Mosely is currently 5th in the NFL with 96 tackles.  9th with 53 solo.

Where he is certainly lacking is TFL, but again, Saleh doesn't seem to use him much as a TFL kinda guy, through scheme or by necessity, I'm sure you can make your own opinion.  I don't see him rushing and gap exploiting much in this system.  I just see him in on what feels like every tackle our D makes, often cleaning up what other more heralded guys miss.

/shrug, not a hill I'm willing to die on.  This D is pretty great with Mosely.  The O is where my attention lives and will remain till it's not near dead last in the league.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Warfish said:

He is (At current) #1 in the NFL at LB with those 3 INT's.  Tied with Spillane.  

3 LB'ers have 2 INT's. 

Mosely has 1.   So tied for 6th in the NFL at LB for INT's.

Warner's 2 FF's puts him at tied for 3rd. 

Chubb has 4 and is alone at #1.  

Hunter and Mack, both OLB'ers, have 3 each.

Many LB'ers have 2.  

Mosely has only 1.  Not great.

Of course, I don't view INT's as the primary job of a MLB.  I view tackles as their primary job.  They're nice if you get them, and elite talents will get some, but it's not the primary job of a MLB.  Roaming sideline to sideline cleaning up what the rest of the D fails to tackle is their job IMO.  

Mosely is currently 5th in the NFL with 96 tackles.  9th with 53 solo.

Where he is certainly lacking is TFL, but again, Saleh doesn't seem to use him much as a TFL kinda guy, through scheme or by necessity, I'm sure you can make your own opinion.  I don't see him rushing and gap exploiting much in this system.  I just see him in on what feels like every tackle our D makes, often cleaning up what other more heralded guys miss.

/shrug, not a hill I'm willing to die on.  This D is pretty great with Mosely.  The O is where my attention lives and will remain till it's not near dead last in the league.  

Mosley could at least force the ball out on a RB from time to time.  He only has 3 FFs in 4 seasons here.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So I've heard you say.

You know who I've not heard say that?

Literally anyone else.  Not announcers, not analysists, not fans, no one.  Just you. 

Well, and 80 too I guess.  although it's always seemed your complains were more about his paycheck and COVID sitting than his play on the field, I guess now it's his play too.

But I suppose you could be right. 

I'm not seeing it personally, I see a LB everywhere on the filed, making tackles other guys miss, and handling the QB'ing of a very good D quite well.  But clearly, you see something else.

But of the two, Zach or Mosely, I'd bench Zach a million times over before I'd worry about Mosely.  But to each their own.  

You literally don't see the tackles he misses, the tackles he doesn't miss but result in first downs anyway, or the times he doesn't even get in on a tackle because he's juked out of being in a position to even make a tackle? There were at least 2-3 such plays just against the Raiders alone two days ago.

I'd feel better about Zach at MLB and Mosley at QB. Probably would improve both positions. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You literally don't see the tackles he misses, the tackles he doesn't miss but result in first downs anyway, or the times he doesn't even get in on a tackle because he's juked out of being in a position to even make a tackle? There were at least 2-3 such plays just against the Raiders alone two days ago.

He misses some, sure.  I don't think it's as big a problem or as common/widespread as you seem to.  What I see is how often he's cleaning up what other guys should have finished on their own but couldn't/didn't.  In a D like this, which is clearly pretty effective, a guy who cleans up sideline to sideline has value in my book. 

But 80 thinks he should be leading the league in LB INT's and FF's, and you think he misses tons of tackles despite being 5th in the league at making tackles.  I if I thought those two things, I might want him gone too.

I'd feel better about Zach at MLB and Mosley at QB. Probably would improve both positions.

raw

Just now, Warfish said:

He misses some, sure.  I don't think it's a big a problem or as common/widespread as you seem to.  What I see is how often he's cleaning up what other guys should have finished on their own but couldn't/didn't.  In a D like this, which is clearly pretty effective, a guy who cleans up sideline to sideline has value in my book. 

But 80 thinks he should be leading the league in LB INT's and FF's, and you think he misses tons of tackles despite being 5th in the league at making tackles.  I if I thought those two things, I might want him gone too.

raw

He never comes off the field, plays MLB on a team that defends the run even more than it defends the pass, plus how many more of those passes are shorter to avoid the Jets' elite secondary, plus the offense putting the D back onto the field so quickly. His tackle numbers are from a wealth of opportunity, not from excellence. Victor Green once led the league in tackles playing for the Jets, and they had the worst D in the league that year, so it's one of the most misleading stats there is. 

• Sympathy 1

Mosley's cap charge is WAY too high for 2024.  $21.5M total cap charge; $17M non guaranteed salary; $10.5M dead cap in the form of remaining signing and restructured salary to bonus if they release him.

You might recall he did not take a pay cut this year, as others were asked to do.

If the Jets do nothing, then there is a significant opportunity cost ... less ability to upgrade the offense, which has to be the #1 offseason priority.

It's not a question if he is good or not.  It is a question of how much he is overpaid versus the market.

From my experience, there are 2 options.

Option 1:  Ask CJ to reduce his salary by around $10M.  His new $7M salary would still rank in the top 8 for all inside linebackers.  Doubt he would get anything more than that in the market.  It would be a clear overpay.  Total 2024 savings = $10M

Option 2:  Cut him and immediately save $10M.  Sign a younger quality (average) starter for around $5M per year.  Total 2024 savings = $5M

• Post of the Week 1

Let's go a step further .. cutting Uzomah will save close to $5.5M net.  His replacement (#3 TE) is likely already on the practice squad.

Good GMs will need to accept the sunk costs on bad players like Uzomah and look to renegotiate significantly overpaid vests like Tomlinson & CJ.   If the overpaid vets balk at a pay cut, then they will need to be replaced ... in these cases there's a realistic chance to both upgrade talent and lower your overall cap charge..  That's how much they are underperforming their bloated pay. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

At this point it’s not a question who the leader is of this defense. He’s highly rated in the locker room and PFF. Even if @Sperm Edwards hates him (and he probably is overrated), he seems pretty invaluable to the team. So, I’m curious as to what you all think about him moving forward. Under contract next year (jets can save 17 million with 4 million dead cap) and will be 32. Do you extend/restructure him? Do you cut him loose next year? They just paid Quincy and I don’t think Mosley is irreplaceable. Mostly I just want to stop talking about the putrid offense every topic. What say you Jets fans? What should they do with CJ in the off-season?

Find a way to keep him.  He is a must. 

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He never comes off the field, plays MLB on a team that defends the run even more than it defends the pass, plus how many more of those passes are shorter to avoid the Jets' elite secondary, plus the offense putting the D back onto the field so quickly. His tackle numbers are from a wealth of opportunity, not from excellence. Victor Green once led the league in tackles playing for the Jets, and they had the worst D in the league that year, so it's one of the most misleading stats there is. 

You said Mosley was bad though. He is good.

The defense rests your honor.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Like @Sperm Edwards I was pretty harsh on Mosley last year and in previous years but this year is different. he is attacking RB's head on and he does do a good job over all as the captain of the defense players and coaches respect him and that goes a long way as well. The biggest thing with me last year was his non aggressive play and he seems to have addressed that this season . Obviously he might be a bit over paid but there is not much we can do about that Idiot Macc or his signings. In summary he is good for this young defense and they like him 

This is good. Also @Sperm Edwards was wrong.

• Haha 2