Woody Johnson: Merged

Alka

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Is your argument that Woody had anything at all to do with that?

obviously all NFL valuations moved up. more so that the equity market and more so than other sports teams.  So it was smart for him to get into sports teams and smart to pick the NFL.  that's 2 smart moves.

he's increased the team value ranking from 25th to 7th over the last 20 years.  that's the last smart move.

are you saying he had nothing to do with that?

6 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

obviously all NFL valuations moved up. more so that the equity market and more so than other sports teams.  So it was smart for him to get into sports teams and smart to pick the NFL.  that's 2 smart moves.

he's increased the team value ranking from 25th to 7th over the last 20 years.  that's the last smart move.

are you saying he had nothing to do with that?

His major achievements as owner are building a stadium that everyone hates (and that his team doesn’t even own) and making the playoffs six times in his  twenty-three seasons as owner, so yeah, I am saying he had nothing to do with that. More to the point, I’m wondering why anyone who’s not an NFL owner would care what an NFL team is worth. Are we as fans supposed to take pride in the owner raking in money while he puts a dogsh*t product on the field? Who cares?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

and now do franchise value increase over those years.

12x at least and probably more if he decides to sell.

and he got to run a NFL team.

all most fans care about are wins and losses. Nobody cares that Woody made a good business investment by buying an NFL franchise. 

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

His major achievements as owner are building a stadium that everyone hates (and that his team doesn’t even own) and making the playoffs six times in his  twenty-three seasons as owner, so yeah, I am saying he had nothing to do with that. More to the point, I’m wondering why anyone who’s not an NFL owner would care what an NFL team is worth. Are we as fans supposed to take pride in the owner raking in money while he puts a dogsh*t product on the field? Who cares?

everyone hates it but for the most part they generate alot of revenues.

i don't really care what a team is worth, if anything if it was worth less it means we are paying less for our entertainment.

but it's a big difference when the discussion is on the intelligence (or worse "immbecile" level) of the person.  in that regard the financial points are very relevant.  

who is going to argue that the Jets are putting a respectible product on the field?   not many people  (and not me).

16 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

yep, he's not an imbecile.  that's a great return.

and to top it off he gets to run around a play with a NFL team.  

not many members of the lucky sperm club have done as well.  can you name a few?

For real? Mara. Jed York. Mccaskey. Walton. Irsay. Clark Hunt. Mark Davis. Spanos. Wilf. Etc etc 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i don't really care what a team is worth, if anything if it was worth less it means we are paying less for our entertainment.

but it's a big difference when the discussion is on the intelligence (or worse "immbecile" level) of the person.  in that regard the financial points are very relevant.  

who is going to argue that the Jets are putting a respectible product on the field?   not many people  (and not me).

I don’t honestly think you think Woodys business acumen is the reason the value of the Jets has increased. 

3 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Sorry, just to be clear: your argument is not that Woody has done a good job? You’re just in here white knighting because someone called him an imbecile?

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

For real? Mara. Jed York. Mccaskey. Walton. Irsay. Clark Hunt. Mark Davis. Spanos. Wilf. Etc etc 

notice you picked mostly NFL owners in your "lucky sperm club".   so just the fact that he was smart of buy a NFL franchise probably removes him from "immbecile" level.

however, as you missed in your commentary, the majority of those names are folks who were handed NFL franchises.  Mara, York, David, Hunt, Irsay.  so what exactly did they do?  you are proving my point.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t honestly think you think Woodys business acumen is the reason the value of the Jets has increased. 

Buying sports franchise (smart)

buying NFL franchise (the smartest of the types of franchise moves)

getting a stadium built (increased valuation from 25th list to 7th).

you can say he's meddling and done a poor job hiring GM/Coaches and put a bad product on the field.   I can see those arguments.

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

notice you picked mostly NFL owners in your "lucky sperm club".   so just the fact that he was smart of buy a NFL franchise probably removes him from "immbecile" level.

however, as you missed in your commentary, the majority of those names are folks who were handed NFL franchises.  Mara, York, David, Hunt, Irsay.  so what exactly did they do?  you are proving my point.

Woody was handed a franchise because he was a billionaire. Just like the Walton guy with the Broncos.

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you can say he's meddling and done a poor job hiring GM/Coaches and put a bad product on the field.   I can see those arguments.

Sports owners are selected. Didn’t you watch Billions?

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Sorry, just to be clear: your argument is not that Woody has done a good job? You’re just in here white knighting because someone called him an imbecile?

while i do find that word offensive, I am not going to PC police anyone and say they can't use it.

I can however, show them that they themselves are a better example of the word they are using.

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Buying sports franchise (money makes money)

Buying NFL franchise (money makes money)

Getting new stadium (money makes money)

Everything else (Woody is an imbecile)

There have to be better arguments that Woody is smart than the one you’re trying to make. They’re wrong, but they’re better arguments.

The better owners in the NFL tend to have actually built or started something on the business front OR are old guard families that have the game in their blood.  Woody is neither, just born into wealth, never had a hand in running the family business, little or no knowledge of football coming in.  Too many of the decisions made on his watch seem to motivated for tabloid back pages (i.e. - Favre, Tebow, Rodgers, etc).  He meddles, but I get the sense HE wants to win.  You don't buy a team just to make money and lose, just no way.  Much better to win and make more money.  However, he has NO CLUE on how to get there.  The guys in and around the game who know how to win want nothing to do with him.  Pretty obvious when the sale went thru, those type of guys starting jumping ship.  What's next?  IDK - Think they spend/draft/trade and go all in with a "healthy" Rodgers next 1-2 seasons.  Thereafter, will be another mess to clean up.  If no championships and even more pissed fan base, does he sell per the rumor last year?  Move to London and start anew?  Or just stay put and count his money?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

2 years of good QB play and he fell apart at the end of that 2nd year.  That's what counts as a "solid consistent QB"? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OBriKe00.htm

image.png.35353bb7741209413b97c7f219ab6efe.png

I was trying to be kind....  I am not a fan of KOB but at least he played but yes, he wasn't a threat for the Ring of honor.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

2 years of good QB play and he fell apart at the end of that 2nd year.  That's what counts as a "solid consistent QB"? 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OBriKe00.htm

image.png.35353bb7741209413b97c7f219ab6efe.png

If Zach Wilson had two years like that, you'd be anointing him QB-for-life, and be sleeping with a full-size real-doll style Zach Wilson sexdoll and spamming JN with pics of you doing it.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Zach Wilson had two years like that, you'd be anointing him QB-for-life, and be sleeping with a full-size real-doll style Zach Wilson sexdoll and spamming JN with pics of you doing it.

When people talk about how the Jets have the worst fanbase in sports, you're the exact type of person that they're referring to.

4 hours ago, jmat321 said:

The better owners in the NFL tend to have actually built or started something on the business front OR are old guard families that have the game in their blood.  Woody is neither, just born into wealth, never had a hand in running the family business, little or no knowledge of football coming in.  Too many of the decisions made on his watch seem to motivated for tabloid back pages (i.e. - Favre, Tebow, Rodgers, etc).  He meddles, but I get the sense HE wants to win.  You don't buy a team just to make money and lose, just no way.  Much better to win and make more money.  However, he has NO CLUE on how to get there.  The guys in and around the game who know how to win want nothing to do with him.  Pretty obvious when the sale went thru, those type of guys starting jumping ship.  What's next?  IDK - Think they spend/draft/trade and go all in with a "healthy" Rodgers next 1-2 seasons.  Thereafter, will be another mess to clean up.  If no championships and even more pissed fan base, does he sell per the rumor last year?  Move to London and start anew?  Or just stay put and count his money?

Don't be fooled he can continue to run the franchise into the ground and sell it for 6  billion more than he bought the team.  Just in case you don't know we hold the longest playoff appearance drought streak. 

34 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

When people talk about how the Jets have the worst fanbase in sports, you're the exact type of person that they're referring to.

Oh look, a Zach-Truther questioning/demeaning the fandom of others, how new and novel and different. :roll:

You Zach-truthers did it when we (correctly) saw and called out Zach being trash years ago, now you do it because you're so soft and sensitive you can't take a little ribbing about being so very, very wrong. 

Typical.  SMH.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Oh look, a Zach-Truther questioning/demeaning the fandom of others, how new and novel and different. :roll:

You Zach-truthers did it when we (correctly) saw and called out Zach being trash years ago, now you do it because you're so soft and sensitive you can't take a little ribbing about being so very, very wrong. 

Typical.  SMH.

I'm not questioning your fandom.  I'm saying that you're acting low-class (and that might be a generous characterization).  I realize your opinions are infallible and sacred but there are times when people are going to disagree with you.  

Ftr, I called out ZW a lot last year (including when most on here were praising him).  This year is the opposite situation for me.  Feel free to disagree with me all you want.