Zach Wilson understands benching: I don’t think I’m being scapegoated

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If it makes you feel better, he really doesn’t like football all that much.

I’m not sure how you could possibly know that but ok. He’s certainly put a lot of time and work into something since he’s been a little kid that he doesn’t like. 

10 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I’m not sure how you could possibly know that but ok. He’s certainly put a lot of time and work into something since he’s been a little kid that he doesn’t like. 

So did HOFer Curtis Martin.  And he never liked football.  Even talked about that in his HOF speech.

I can remember draft day like it was yesterday.  My family and I were sitting around and were watching the draft.  The phone rings and it’s Bill Parcells.  I answer the phone and say “Hello,” and Parcells says, “Curtis, we want to know if you’re interested in being a New England Patriot?”  I said, “Yes, yes, sir.”  And we hang up the phone.  As soon as we hang up the phone I turn around to everyone, and I said, “Oh my God, I do not want to play football. I don’t want to play football.  I don’t even know that I like football enough to try to make a career out of it.” 

You’d be surprised how many pro athletes don’t like the sport they play but did it anyways because it either was a “way out” and/or paid nicely.  Much like the rest of society - about 67 % of people don’t like their jobs.  I get that sports are different from “regular jobs” but the point stands.  

• Upvote 1

Zach was killed by the press and by teammates last year after the NEP loss when he wouldn't take any blame for the L after no offense. So he's changed his tune to an extent. While he says he has to play better he's not admitting no offense was his fault. He just says when things don't work out you have to make a change. 

11 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nobody is happier than him that he is benched, no way in hell kid wanted to go out there again.

It’s like when my family made my fat porky ass play soccer with all the other Italian kids in the league. I played one game and then they made me goalie. Holy hell, that was brutal, all those little skinny prick lickers kick  the ball right at my my nuts, they had good aim too. 

They let me stop after one season and my Uncle Ralphie brought me to my first Pop Warner practice following year. It was amazing being able to smash all those skinny little pricks  during Bull in the ring. I was much better when people had to run at me before  they could run away from me.  Maybe Zach should try soccer or lacrosse? 

Pretty funny.  Maybe there’s a lot of truth in this about Zach.  I’m sure he didn’t want to go out and get pummeled week in and week out (I was going to say by matador pass protection).  We’ll see if Boyle fares any better behind that oline.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Pretty funny.  Maybe there’s a lot of truth in this about Zach.  I’m sure he didn’t want to go out and get pummeled week in and week out (I was going to say by matador pass protection).  We’ll see if Boyle fares any better behind that oline.

Woah, scandalous, but I wouldn’t totally discredit it. 

17 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Maybe if he didn’t require 3+ seconds to get rid of it every snap he could have trimmed that sack rate in half.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, rangerous said:

He has sacked himself many times this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Definitely the words of a locker room cancer and an awful human being. Shoot him now, while he is still 3rd string. Don’t let him go on and ruin everyone that he infects. He must be stopped. 

You really need a check up. After last year's denial of responsibility,  do you not think everything he is saying is from the PR dept.? Maybe he has grown up. Who knows, but there is no way someone hasn't  said to him before he meets reporters, when someone brings up being the scape goat or being benched, or lack of TD's, you say this. 

BTW, I don't  care what a good person ot stand up guy Zach is. He sucks as an NFL QB. I never want to see him take another snap for the Jets 

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, docdhc said:

Talk about kicking the kid while he’s down. He tried hard and said all the right things, he just wasn’t good enough. He’s been humiliated enough by his failure, I don’t think he deserves extra ridicule. 

OMG, he is quoting a script. Do you think Saleh wants to deal with his off the cuff remarks again. They say this, you say this. They thought of every possible question and told him what to say. It's  possible he has learned from what he did last season but I am sure nobody in the Jets front office is taking a chance he didn't  and might have said something like all the pre-snap penalties and drops were a big factor. They actually were but that is not what you want to hear him say.

10 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

He was injured so of course had little to say when Joe Flacco played four games in his place last year.   Once he came back I think he handled his benching for Mike White ok.  I think he was a bit more miffed when White got hurt and he was then benched for Chris Streveler.  He understood when he got benched for Aaron Rodgers, and now he is handling his benching for Tim Boyle with great class.  They are right he is maturing as a QB.  

Either that or he is maturing at getting benched because he has a lot of experience  with it. 

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Zach was killed by the press and by teammates last year after the NEP loss when he wouldn't take any blame for the L after no offense. So he's changed his tune to an extent. While he says he has to play better he's not admitting no offense was his fault. He just says when things don't work out you have to make a change. 

Was he killed by the press or acted like a conceited idiot after that game?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nobody is happier than him that he is benched, no way in hell kid wanted to go out there again.

Guaranteed.  He is already planning with his agent which team is best suited to allow him easier, closer, consistent access to Utah and to rejuvenate his failed career.

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

If you listen to Zach carefully, he knows he’s been bad.

a lot of people pointed out how happy he seemed over the summer. He’s probably relieved to have the pressure off. 

He's probably gonna be out of football once his contract is over.....

Playing QB is stressful for him (remember the clip of Calabrese telling Zach "Football is fun again" in camp) and he's made enough money and has a well off uncle that he doesn't need to make a career out of this....

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s like when my family made my fat porky ass play soccer with all the other Italian kids in the league. I played one game and then they made me goalie. Holy hell, that was brutal, all those little skinny prick lickers kick  the ball right at my my nuts, they had good aim too. 

They let me stop after one season and my Uncle Ralphie brought me to my first Pop Warner practice following year. It was amazing being able to smash all those skinny little pricks  during Bull in the ring. I was much better when people had to run at me before  they could run away from me.  Maybe Zach should try soccer or lacrosse? 

Both you and Aaron Rodgers seem to want to make Zachs benching all about yourselves. 

Can you believe this fat narcissist @Integrity28

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He knows he will be out of the nfl in 1-2 years.  He probably is resigned to the fact he’s soon going to be spending the rest of his life living off the trust fund with a made up job at Jetblue

Honestly, I don't  think Zach's NFL career is over. He can serve as a backup on another team. The thing is, it would have to be on a team with a solid #1 QB in his prime. Zach could do the Geno Smith thing where he hangs around long enough to learn the position. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1